Tav looked so far off it today

In July, SG said he couldn't go on leaving either Patterson or Tav on the bench. Since then, they haven't spent one minute on the same park. We've won all 3 games in which Patterson has played, scoring 9 goals. Of the 14 games when Tav has played, we've won 6, lost 5 and drawn 3, scoring 16 goals.
He's played 4 games,won 3 drew 1.
Alashkert,Dunfermline and Livi in the cup and Hibs.
Stats look good because he's played against much inferior teams.
Give him a run and lets see what he can do.

The rest was supposed to do him good but I felt it was the last thing he needed. He’s been poor this season - he needs games, not international breaks. It’s been to stop/start.

I would have absolutely no complaints if Patterson replaced Tavernier right now.
Tav’s at his best when playing two games a week, but we can’t justify playing him every week when the best young fullback in Scotland is pressing him.

Been right off it from start of season.Don’t know why but it is very evident there is a problem.Patterson simply cannnot be benched for much longer.

He's played 4 games,won 3 drew 1.
Alashkert,Dunfermline and Livi in the cup and Hibs.
Stats look good because he's played against much inferior teams.
Give him a run and lets see what he can do.
Apologies, I forgot Alashkert but it doesn't alter the stats. Dunfermline are lower level but Hibs and Livi aren't. I think we're all slowly coming round to the realisation that while Tav's contribution to Rangers has been immense, it's time for something new. Happily for us, we have the perfect replacement in the squad.

Thus highlighting the fact that Gerrards biggest mistake since taking the Job was making Tavernier captain
My sentiments exactly , said at the time it was a decision that would come back and bite him in the @rse.
There again maybe my judgement of a Rangers captain might be clouded by having Tiger Shaw and Geordie Young as my first role models.;)

Ancient Loyal

Last edited:
Apologies, I forgot Alashkert but it doesn't alter the stats. Dunfermline are lower level but Hibs and Livi aren't. I think we're all slowly coming round to the realisation that while Tav's contribution to Rangers has been immense, it's time for something new. Happily for us, we have the perfect replacement in the squad.
The stats are obviously better when you're playing against bottom of the table Dunfermline and farmers from Armenia rather than say Lyon,Malmo,Sparta,Celtc..........I just don't think you can use them as a stick to beat Tavernier with.

Patterson must start next game for me unless injured.
Then rinse and repeat.
No offence to the skipper but no man is bigger than the team.

The stats are obviously better when you're playing against bottom of the table Dunfermline and farmers from Armenia rather than say Lyon,Malmo,Sparta,Celtc..........I just don't think you can use them as a stick to beat Tavernier with.
It's not intended that way. Stats don't lie, though. In 13 games over 3 months, our overall goal difference is +3. That's not a blip, that's a serious problem.

Tav is still the best right back in our club and this country for me.

Patterson has bags of potential and ability but still naive at times.

The quality of the opposition we faced when Nathan was playing has no bearing on the stats we have achieved when Tav has played. Plus, Hibs are not dross.
Of course it has,you're not seriously comparing Lyon,Sparta,Malmo,celtic with Alashkert,Dunfermline,Livi?
Hibs are average imo.

20 attempts at goal, scored once and missed umpteen good chances.
Conceded a goal from a corner that the keeper should have dealt with.

Tavernier was average today, but he was 100 miles away from being why we dropped points.
Disagree. When we have a slim lead and he keeps losing possession and his attitude rubs off on others he's a big reason we can't finish games off

I must admit, Tav looks a shadow of the player he was last season, strangely, so does Borna.

Specifically on Tav, I do wonder if it’s and injury or a struggle to fully recover from Covid.

All last season, our full backs were huge threats for us - massive part of our game, it’s just not there. Mind you, our bigger problem is up front

Of course it has,you're not seriously comparing Lyon,Sparta,Malmo,celtic with Alashkert,Dunfermline,Livi?
Hibs are average imo.
You're missing my point. Forget the 4 games in which Tav hasn't played and look at the 13 games he has played in all competitions against, among other, Ross County, Dundee and Livingston. Of those games, we have won 6, drawn 3 and lost 5 with an overall goal difference of +3. That means we've failed to win 8 of 14 games in which our captain has played. Those stats would still be a huge concern regardless of the stats in the games he's missed.

If we want to be champions under performing players need to be dropped the team peaked last season and needs freshing up it too predictable any half decent coach has found us out the proof in the pudding we can't defend this season so defenders need dropped and replaced and Tav is one of them.

If we want to be champions under performing players need to be dropped the team peaked last season and needs freshing up it too predictable any half decent coach has found us out the proof in the pudding we can't defend this season so defenders need dropped and replaced and Tav is one of them.
Agreed.

You're missing my point. Forget the 4 games in which Tav hasn't played and look at the 13 games he has played in all competitions against, among other, Ross County, Dundee and Livingston. Of those games, we have won 6, drawn 3 and lost 5 with an overall goal difference of +3. That means we've failed to win 8 of 14 games in which our captain has played. Those stats would still be a huge concern regardless of the stats in the games he's missed.
I'm not missing the point at all,your post #201 you compared both players stats while playing,i pointed out you can't compare when both players have played different standard of team.
Have a good day.

Seems a very easy choice to bring Patterson in on Thursday, he is still raw but brings a lot of energy with flashes of real quality

When Tav is not creating and scoring goals he is simply not worth the vulnerability he causes at the back

I'm not missing the point at all,your post #201 you compared both players stats while playing,i pointed out you can't compare when both players have played different standard of team.
Have a good day.
I hope I have a better day than yesterday. Sadly, this season's match stats won't change whichever way I look at them.

Absolving Tav of any wrong doing is sort of typical really. Said many a time but usually if he makes a mistake you get people who either want to ignore it or simply shift the blame onto someone else. Obviously the biggest culprit at that goal is clearly McGregor, but if you look at it objectively the captain does play his part too and I’m not sure how it can be overlooked.

I’m also starting to think we’ve got fans who’ll eventually pack up and follow Tav to his next club wherever that may be, because he seems to be bigger than the club to some. I mean the determination to avoid putting any fault on him, whilst doing almost the opposite with a young defender with little experience, is just weird at this point. If we’re being honest about Morelos, and McGregor (and even Kent pre injury) maybe we can be honest about the captain too. I mean look at the hypocrisy of trotter here.

Seemed to be 2nd to every ball, easily out muscled and skinned multiple times and absolutely woeful going forward. Looked nothing like himself in all honesty. If I was Nathan Patterson I'd be disappointed not to be in the team for Thursday after a performance like that from Tav.
Tav looked off the pace yesterday.

Just yesterday? By and large he's been poor all season with the odd smattering of the player we had last season.

People make out that Patterson is outstanding everytime he plays. He has had some moments of quality and his energy is excellent but hes been pretty average in most games this season, Bassey stood out more.

He had a shocker in the Scotland Isreal game, running into players and losing possession everytime had the ball.

He gets away with it because he is young and has bags of potential plus the fact a large section of our support just don't seem to like Tav, some used to want Hodson in front of him!

I'm a huge fan of Patterson but he is nowhere near Tavs level yet IMO.

Thought Tav had a poor game(not alone their) but for me Barisic was worse. He looked like he was hiding in field. Left the Hearts right flank open the whole second half- this caused us problems all second half

It's not intended that way. Stats don't lie, though. In 13 games over 3 months, our overall goal difference is +3. That's not a blip, that's a serious problem.

So you’re blaming the right back for us only having a +3 goal difference?

How many goals have we scored this season? Instead of blaming the full backs should the attackers not be doing more…?

In the 8 games we’ve failed to win, who else has played in they games alongside Tav? Should they also be dropped?

People make out that Patterson is outstanding everytime he plays. He has had some moments of quality and his energy is excellent but hes been pretty average in most games this season, Bassey stood out more.

He had a shocker in the Scotland Isreal game, running into players and losing possession everytime had the ball.

He gets away with it because he is young and has bags of potential plus the fact a large section of our support just don't seem to like Tav, some used to want Hodson in front of him!

On current form he’s a better option.

My sentiments exactly , said at the time it was a decision that would come back and bite him in the @rse.
There again maybe my judgement of a Rangers captain might be clouded by having Tiger Shaw and Geordie Young as my first role models.;)

Ancient Loyal
Your judgement is not clouded when you need some inspiration you look to the captain and Tav standing there with his petted lip is no where near a captain of Rangers never mind a first team player in my opinion, I got hounded on this forum weeks ago for saying he should be benched in favour of Patterson who is a far better player.

In the 8 games we’ve failed to win, who else has played in they games alongside Tav? Should they also be dropped?
Barasic has started all 8 games that we've failed to win so far this season. Tav missed the Alashkert game. Davis featured in all 8 games also, starting 7 of them.

Massive Tav fan, guys been absolutely brilliant for us and will go down as a Rangers legend IMO but the here and now is what matters and for me I think it’s time we start playing Patterson at right back, he is the future of Rangers and when Tav is in this form it’s the perfect time to introduce Patterson as a regular starter in the team.

Massive Tav fan, guys been absolutely brilliant for us and will go down as a Rangers legend IMO but the here and now is what matters and for me I think it’s time we start playing Patterson at right back, he is the future of Rangers and when Tav is in this form it’s the perfect time to introduce Patterson as a regular starter in the team.
Patterson will be gone from Ibrox in the summer. We'll get a Vito Corleone offer.

He is 19 years old and will only get consistency through regular football ,it’s not like Tav doesn’t have poor games is it?

And this season?
I’ve already said that he should be dropped for a couple of games but teams don’t tend to change captains season by season. Well at least sane teams anyway. What team changes captains every season? Or do you think the captaincy should change depending of the form of the captain?

I’ve already said that he should be dropped for a couple of games but teams don’t tend to change captains season by season. Well at least sane teams anyway. What team changes captains every season? Or do you think the captaincy should change depending of the form of the captain?
I thought he’d come back like a man possessed after Patterson starting against hibs.
How wrong i was.

Back