Tavernier for Scotland?

Joebones

Just reading in the Sunday Times the intriguing possibility that Tav could actually play for Scotland........
Under FIFA rules anyone resident in a country for five years now qualifies to play for them, as long as they haven’t been capped by another nation.
This is usually applied to young players who spent their childhood in one country despite being born in a different one.
Let’s face it Tav isn’t getting in the England team ahead of Alexander-Arnold, Kyle Walker, even Trippier.
“We’d be more than happy to have him....it’s a no brainer” said Davie Weir. “He’d be in the squad if he was Scottish”

Can’t see it, although he’s miles better than the current right backs in the squad.
I’ll be happy if he stays injury free, leads us to 55 and watches the Euros with a few beers on a beach somewhere.

I think the Home countries have a separate agreement stopping this.
he needs to have 5 years of schooling under the age of 18

A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
c) One of his biological grandparents was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

Some Scotland fans and maybe even some Rangers fans would be in support of this happening.

Nobody has considered whether Tav himself would be interested. He just might have no interest in it at all.

Thought Tav had family who are bears, possibly step father? Not advocating he plays for Scotland and know it’s possible to be a bear and not Scottish, but just remember from around when he signed that certain folk in his family were delighted

A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
c) One of his biological grandparents was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

Good point mate. The Home Nations agreement point “d” is different from the FIFA one.
The Times article is wrong, he’s not eligible.

Tav is getting well earned rest during the international breaks. Long may that continue. Other posters have already mentioned the gentlemens agreement about playing for another home nation which thankfully make this unlikely.
He is more than good enough to play for Scotland, in fact he is too good.

Just reading in the Sunday Times the intriguing possibility that Tav could actually play for Scotland........
Under FIFA rules anyone resident in a country for five years now qualifies to play for them, as long as they haven’t been capped by another nation.
This is usually applied to young players who spent their childhood in one country despite being born in a different one.
Let’s face it Tav isn’t getting in the England team ahead of Alexander-Arnold, Kyle Walker, even Trippier.
“We’d be more than happy to have him....it’s a no brainer” said Davie Weir. “He’d be in the squad if he was Scottish”

Can’t see it, although he’s miles better than the current right backs in the squad.
I’ll be happy if he stays injury free, leads us to 55 and watches the Euros with a few beers on a beach somewhere.
Your last paragraph sums up my feelings

This is true, however we can apply to have the nations agreement reworded to allow him to play. This was done a few years ago with the 5 years schooling rule, to allow Driver and Rhodes to play for Scotland.

It's never going to happen, but he is only ineligible under current rules. If we go to the other home nations and ask for the nations agreement to be reworded, there's a good chance it could pass.

Don Hutchison, Matt Ritchie, Nigel quasie, Russel Martin , murty, been loads mate. I know tavernier doesn’t have a Scottish granny but not sure the others were very Scottish .
I know mate. However tenuous their link to Scotland was they still qualified. Tav doesn’t and that should be the end of it for me.

There’s a tacit, gentleman’s agreement between the home nations not to exploit this loophole.

Is the agreement strictly related to residency? Wales have a few who were actually born in England but chose Wales due to a grand parent or parent.

I would back Tav in any decision he made.
However the breaks for internationals seem to ensure he is always available and fresh for Rangers. I see Tav being here for his testimonial and becoming one of our legendary captains. This club has traditionally built itself around such men.

Is the agreement strictly related to residency? Wales have a few who were actually born in England but chose Wales due to a grand parent or parent.

The Home Nations have changed part “d” of the FIFA rules from five years residence to five years of schooling.
Grandparents etc apply to any nation now.

No way Id want him to play for Scotland

That throbber Clark would still start Stephen Phucking O’Donnell as he’s a “better defender”

That rule really disadvantages Scotland as there isn't exactly a huge pool of talent to pick from as it is. So other nations will be able to play players who have played in their country for 5 years yet Scotland can't.

Time to get it changed.

Tavernier himself may have ambitions to go back to England, play in the Premiership and earn an England cap. Even if he only gets 1 in his career, it’ll be more valuable than 30 or 40 caps for a country he settled for.

He deserves a call up to the England squad for his performances in the EL alone.

They've had some dross get odd caps here and there over the years.

Trent and Walker I'd give you as better than Tav. Quite possibly Trippier too. After that Tav has as much chance as anyone.

Given all three of these plus one more RB are usually in the squad, England should be taking a look.

It would be good but never happening.

I remember Novo was being looked into to be able to play for Scotland and the home nations font adopt that Spanish or other country policy. Which is good in a way.

Even though he’d massively improve the national team it’s a no from me.

Won’t be long before it’s like the Rugby team going down that route and we end up having a bunch of foreigners playing for Scotland.

My understanding is it cannot happen as the agreement between the Home Nations has been ratified by FIFA.

Na leave him for the gers

Back