The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

deedle

This in spades.

That lot are delighted when they see these banners and hear the chants. Our fans are literally doing their job for them.

We should have wisened up to this in 2005.
There are two interconnected problems:

A) The own goals scored by our support

B) The unwillingness of the board and potential allies in politics to fight on the club’s behalf.

Few politicians want to wade in when they run the risk of being portrayed as siding with ‘bigots’.

Just look at the wasted opportunities over the past few years to redress the balance:

- the recent report showing that 30-40% of pupils at RC schools had strong sectarian attitudes

- state and local government aid being syphoned towards Celtic while Rangers have been denied a fanzone

- the collapsed effigies case

- a government survey showing that the public believed ‘hun’ was at least as offensive as ‘Fenian’

The only way out is a two-pronged approach where the club takes action against supporters who let it down but is also prepared to speak out very forcefully on issues where we are being attacked at a political level.

temperance

UEFA can and will act on anything that happens within the stadium footprint, that’s why Roma were sanctioned and Lazio weren’t. I’m not sure why people struggle to grasp that.
It’s friggin inconsistent, that’s why, we’ve had opposition fans causing trouble up the PRW and nothings happened to them, how far does the “stadium footprint” stretch?

Commentator

B) The unwillingness of the board and potential allies in politics to fight on the club’s behalf.

Few politicians want to wade in when they run the risk of being portrayed as siding with ‘bigots’.

Just look at the wasted opportunities over the past few years to redress the balance:

- the recent report showing that 30-40% of pupils at RC schools had strong sectarian attitudes

- state and local government aid being syphoned towards Celtic while Rangers have been denied a fanzone

- a government survey showing that the public believed ‘hun’ was at least as offensive as ‘Fenian’

The only way out is a two-pronged approach where the club takes action against supporters who let it down but is also prepared to speak out very forcefully on issues where we are being attacked at a political level.
I think we need another tier, Deedle, the club needs to find a way of engaging with with the fans and being seen to be doing everything it can to manage and prevent potential issues. Stick and carrot.

Maweepaljoe

Here’s an interesting hypothetical question for someone to answer.

Imagine that banner was taken abroad and hung up in a bar the night before.

Now imagine some local toerag ultras has pinched the flag.

So it appears in the stadium upside down the day of the game, would Rangers get reported for the banner or the home team?
And then a coo flew by and waved it at Celtic Park?

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
It’s friggin inconsistent, that’s why, we’ve had opposition fans causing trouble up the PRW and nothings happened to them, how far does the “stadium footprint” stretch?
You quoted an incident with Lazio fans, that never happened anywhere near the stadium.

a_weir

Land legally owned by or leased to Rangers or pubic body owned land used to facilitate supporters (i.e. Edmunson dr), I would imagine.

MightyGersLand!

Pretty sure they will stand attend every match.
If that's supposed to say still, I don't think the club will care all that much.

Is it a harsh punishment? Probably.

But the flag has brought the club into disrepute.
It's causing us problems.
Fan behaviour is costing money.
It belittles the everyone anyone campaign.

They need to be seen to be doing something.
If these guys want to pay again for tickets fair play, hopefully they'll be better behaved about it.

I'm not taking the moral high ground either, I was in Dam Square singing songs and had I been next to the flag might well have wanted a drunken photo.

Trueblue82

Official Ticketer
Well surely to fk you know what happened??
Why ask the question in the first place??
Okay I’ll try again,

the We Hate Celtic/Fenian Bastards banner is taken to a foreign country and hung outside a pub the night before a European game.

whilst the guys are getting pissed and having a sing song some local fans steal the flag.

next night at the game it’s hung as a ultra thing saying we stole your flag blah blah blah

UEFA would punish Rangers if it was flown in the away end so I’m asking would they punish the hypothetical home team for flying it?

Northampton_Loyalist

Absolutely on the mark and I have said so for a while. While we have Rangers fans asking, rightly, what is being done to look after their interests, it will always be an uphill battle in stopping the things we want our own to stop. People can call it whataboutery if they like, but the reality is that people will not stop while they themselves are seen as fair game.

A forum for the support to tell the club what it would like to happen, coupled with the board telling the fans what it will take to make it happen would seem like a no-brainer; Getting people to stop placing the club at risk from UEFA by offering them something tangible in return instead of the usual approach which has had some success, but needs to be seen through.

Maweepaljoe

Okay I’ll try again,

the We Hate Celtic/Fenian Bastards banner is taken to a foreign country and hung outside a pub the night before a European game.

whilst the guys are getting pissed and having a sing song some local fans steal the flag.

next night at the game it’s hung as a ultra thing saying we stole your flag blah blah blah

UEFA would punish Rangers if it was flown in the away end so I’m asking would they punish the hypothetical home team for flying it?
But you must know the answer to that as you clearly state that it has happened "a few times in the last 2 seasons"
So were the home team punished on these "few occasions?"

Trueblue82

Official Ticketer
But you must know the answer to that as you clearly state that it has happened "a few times in the last 2 seasons"
So were the home team punished on these "few occasions?"
You understand the meaning of the word hypothetical yes?

The whole thread has been about the offensive flag not a normal RSC flag.

LetsGo

Land legally owned by or leased to Rangers or pubic body owned land used to facilitate supporters (i.e. Edmunson dr), I would imagine.
Bit early to be naming the street outside the stadium after our George.

trueblue77

Absolutely on the mark and I have said so for a while. While we have Rangers fans asking, rightly, what is being done to look after their interests, it will always be an uphill battle in stopping the things we want our own to stop. People can call it whataboutery if they like, but the reality is that people will not stop while they themselves are seen as fair game.

A forum for the support to tell the club what it would like to happen, coupled with the board telling the fans what it will take to make it happen would seem like a no-brainer; Getting people to stop placing the club at risk from UEFA by offering them something tangible in return instead of the usual approach which has had some success, but needs to be seen through.
I believe that's part of the game our enemies in the media, government etc. are playing. They fuel our defiance or siege mentality and in return they accept the gift that keeps on giving. We need to be clever but too many just don't see the bigger picture.

Marstonbear

A flag like that, attracting the prominent media presence that it did, damages the Rangers brand.

The Club promotes an “Everyone, anyone” ethos. Such a flag is obviously not consistent with that approach

isawthat

In my opinion only the vast majority of the fans can put an end to the sectarian singing and banners etc etc.

We have to start self policing, and if all else fails, report the offenders to the stewards.

We are on the brink of having a stadium closure, and the brain dead couldn't care less.

RedWhiteBlue

Remember when we got sections of the ground closed for the Legia Warsaw match?
3,000 tickets unsold so probably in the region of 120k the club missed out on.

Remember how that ban was a direct result of singing "we hate Celtic, Fenian Bastards" during the St Joseph's match?

Remember how we then got pulled up over singing at the game in Denmark and we had to refuse tickets for the Young Boys game AND the club had to close 3,000 seats again for the Feyenoord home game?

Right, so what I was thinking we could do is put that exact lyric on a banner and take it with us to the away game at Feyenoord.

Even better, lets make sure we are photographed with the banner so that the media will have a good picture to run with while they smear the club.

We're just trying to support our team lads. Honest. At a time when branding is so important, and when good PR is so important, and when taking in as much money as possible it so important, let's totally embarrass the club we supposedly support.

Maweepaljoe

You understand the meaning of the word hypothetical yes?

The whole thread has been about the offensive flag not a normal RSC flag.
This is becoming surreal.

Initially you posed a hypothetical question which I suggested was highly unlikely to actually happen....fair enough.
You then replied "Except that it HAS HAPPENED a few times with Rangers flags the last 2 seasons "
So that is not hypothetical. So what happened on those "few times?"

Last edited:

RedWhiteBlue

Some in our support seem intent on damaging Rangers better than any enemy could wish to.

At what point does the message finally hit home?

A full stadium closure?

Our manager walking away?

For some, I don’t think even this would change their attitude. Which is fucking depressing.
The message will never hit home.

In the event of catastrophic consequences such as stadium closure, manager leaving or expulsion from the tournament these people will move on to "Lawwell is pulling the strings at UEFA" or blame Rangers for not sticking up for the fans or some other rationalization.

UEFA: Don't sing these songs and don't use chants with "fenian bastards/scum" etc don't shout FTP at matches and definitely don't bring banners with similar. We really mean it. Please see previous punishments to see how much we really mean it. We will escalate the punishments.

Rangers: Yes, please stop doing this as it will harm the club. The punishments harm the club financially. The whole situation damages the clubs reputation. UEFA are serious. The rules are set please stop.

Rangers "supporters": We hate Celtic, Fenian Bastards! Hahahaha. What a laugh. Check out this banner too! What a hoot. Wait, what? Stadium closure? LAWWEEEEEEELLL!!! He's just trying to get UEFA to unsettle us for the tims to win the league.

It's tragic that a real anxiety surrounds the aftermath of every good result we have in Europe because all the good stuff can be undone by a couple of idiots and some of those idiots just can't help themselves.

Slim Jim

We have to get our own house in order before asking any politician to put his/her head above the parapet. The club board have done nothing about the flares at Feyenoord, why have they not banned those responsible?

Twosignals

Some in our support seem intent on damaging Rangers better than any enemy could wish to.

At what point does the message finally hit home?

A full stadium closure?

Our manager walking away?

For some, I don’t think even this would change their attitude. Which is fucking depressing.
Your comments are oh so true, however an area that will only bring anger, would be to call them out. Self enforcement of our fans is the only way ahead. One area that definitely bugs me is that one side bunch of Barristers FAIR/Nil by Mouth, both of which only come down on the side of Scum.

Trueblue82

Official Ticketer
This is becoming surreal.

Initially you posed a hypothetical question which I suggested was highly unlikely to actually happen....fair enough.
You then replied "Except that it HAS HAPPENED a few times with Rangers flags the last 2 seasons "
So that is not hypothetical. So what happened on those "few times?"
I’m not explaining it again, if you can’t follow it then it doesn’t matter, I’ll wait until an adult replies.

bkkbear

Yea, because there's a plethora (look it up) of replies.

Our flags in general have been stolen when we have been playing away but not ones with THAT wording.

So based on that, what do you think would happen if FARE/UEFA saw it and reported it? Who would be punished the home or away team?

Maweepaljoe

Our flags in general have been stolen when we have been playing away but not ones with THAT wording.

So based on that, what do you think would happen if FARE/UEFA saw it and reported it? Who would be punished the home or away team?
I would imagine if it was amongst the home fans, it could hardly be the away fans who got punished. Unless of course they used pictures on social media to link attention seeking Rangers fans to the flag.
However as this has never happened it can only be conjecture.