The disallowed goal in Moscow.

If it was not for McGregor we would have been beat by Villareal at Ibrox.
The league table does not lie, we were not good enough to get through.
If it was not for the ref, we'd have had 11 men on the park and would have had a better chance of beating Villareal.

See how it works?

In a group where there was very little between the teams, we didn't really carry much luck at all.

Candieas being wrongly suspended last night and also leaving us defending instead of trying to go beat Villarreal and the offside goal in Moscow were huge bits of luck that went against us.

If it was not for McGregor we would have been beat by Villareal at Ibrox.
The league table does not lie, we were not good enough to get through.
The league table is the tabulation of results, not the stories behind the results.
Ultimately, it’s what counts of course, but, to say we weren’t good enough is wide of the mark.
For example, in head to heads, we’d have won two out of three ties.
Septic qualified but would’ve lost two out of three of these ties.
Not important at the end of the day but, to say we weren’t good enough is a bit strong to me.

In a group where there was very little between the teams, we didn't really carry much luck at all.

Candieas being wrongly suspended last night and also leaving us defending instead of trying to go beat Villarreal and the offside goal in Moscow were huge bits of luck that went against us.

That’s probably put better that my original OP.

It was statistically the tightest group before kick off - yes we could have done better, but every single one of our opponents benefited from a bad decision against us and we got nothing.

Vienna - two clear offsides in the build up to their goal.

Moscow - denied a clear (probably game-winning) goal that was a foot onside.

Villarreal - Candeias sent off for absolutely nothing.

That’s probably put better that my original OP.

It was statistically the tightest group before kick off - yes we could have done better, but every single one of our opponents benefited from a bad decision against us and we got nothing.

Vienna - two clear offsides in the build up to their goal.

Moscow - denied a clear (probably game-winning) goal that was a foot onside.

Villarreal - Candeias sent off for absolutely nothing.

And to top it off Rapid Viennas offside robbery in Moscow meant that even after all the above we were denied going to Vienna needing just a draw

Obviously you mean 1 point behind Villarreal and Rapid Vienna. But you forget that had we won in Moscow we would have been going in to last night on 9 points with Rapid Vienna 2 points behind us needing to win. Completely changes the context of the whole group. Had we only needed a point last night we would have got it. I am 100% certain of that.

Tbh if rapid had to go for win last night then we would have hot at least a draw probably won the game

We were poor last night but when we need to defend apart from the away Moscow game we are difficult to break down

It was only really when we had to start pushing higher up last night we left space

If rapid had to beat us last night we would have picked them off as they attacked

Outside the Villareal games and Vienna at Ibrox we could point to the others.

Moscow away we didn't get the goal, but the defence hitting full clusterfuck and imploding fucked us over. Moscow at home we should have won. Last night's game was dismal, it shocking that in a must win game we managed to only get 1 shot on target.

no it hasn't, we had multiple opportunities to beat Spartak at and f uckin blew it Morales needs to score in these games he had plenty chances

He did score to put us 4 2 up though. We would have won the game at a canter from that position. We didn’t do certain things well in certain games but an abysmal decision put us out.

Not beating them (Spartak) at Ibrox cost us, just like our defending in Russia, our disallowed goal, what could have been at Ibrox had the referee not wrongly sent off Candeias, had Middleton been a bit more experienced and stayed on side vs Villarreal and had we actually created opportunities last night in Austria.

All if's and but's.

Spartak Moscow home and away should have seen us take at least 4 points and at least a draw last night. Instead from those 9 points on offer we took, 1.

Some people are morons.

Nobody is saying that we couldn't have played better and created more chances etc, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that bad officiating cost us points.

Not only that, but Vienna benefitted from an offside goal in one of their games.

At this level it's fine margins and this year they seemed to go against us. Candeias could've made a big difference last night as well but he was wrongly sent off.

How big is that decision in our season now?

It’s amazing to see the luck the mentally challengeds get, while we’ve been stuck with what has been a genuinely group-changing decision from the officials that was totally wrong.

Between that, the goal Vienna scored at Ibrox, the Candeias red against Villarreal - there’s only so much you can do.

I know we had games to make up for that, but looking at how the group has turned out, it has turned out to be an absolute game changer.

Ironic as it is.
And all being equal.
Had we drawn 4-4 in Moscow.

We'd have effectively had a better head to head over all 3 other teams and still have went out.
I wonder how often that has actually happened?

Our head to head against both teams who qualified was better.

So, it wasn’t our performances against them that cost us.

1 point from 6 against Spartak when Rapid took 6 from 6 is what put us out.

Keystone Cops defending in Moscow is right up there in terms of blame as well

It’s amazing to see the luck the mentally challengeds get, while we’ve been stuck with what has been a genuinely group-changing decision from the officials that was totally wrong.

Between that, the goal Vienna scored at Ibrox, the Candeias red against Villarreal - there’s only so much you can do.

I know we had games to make up for that, but looking at how the group has turned out, it has turned out to be an absolute game changer.

Just let's not now go back there - it's history now !

Huge moment in the game for me. 4-2 up our confidence would’ve been sky high and Moscow might have lost the place.

It was one moment, albeit a big moment, in those games against the Russians. However, we should have won at Ibrox and secured at least a point in Moscow with the 3 goals we scored. So yes, the goal would probably have made a difference, but so would many other things. The disallowed goal was outwith our control. The inability to score at Ibrox and the inability to defend in Russia, well that's down to us.

Not just a game changer but if we had that lead it could have been more. Candeias's sending off meant we got a draw from a back to the wall draw as opposed to maybe a win.

Everything you say is correct. Absolutely robbed. Whether we deserved it or not....robbed. No going back...done and dusted.

Back