The Europa League – Let’s Dare To Dream

Lord Summerisle

Administrator
Staff member
Come Thursday, I will forget how awful our season, Europe excepted, and how totally unmemorable our 150th anniversary has been, and I will look forward with great excitement to a European quarter-final.

I will allow myself to dream a little; to dream that we can go on and win the trophy – a trophy that would be the greatest achievement in our long and illustrious history.

Yes, we’re all feeling despondent right now – but we could still end this season and look back on it as the greatest one in our history.

Make no mistake, winning a European trophy transcends everything.

So, let’s put our anger and disappointment behind us… temporarily, perhaps – but, for now, let’s dream of glory.

Roll on Thursday.

Two things.

1. We beat braga without Morelos before (will Hagi be the bigger miss!?)

2. There are countless examples of teams stuttering domestically and winning a European trophy. Let’s give ourselves as big a chance as possible and progress to a semi.

Many of us said a few weeks back that we would forego the league for the europa. I’m still onboard with that no matter how unlikely a European cup win would be.

Love Europe, gets me right excited.

Braga was the best draw we could have gotten, Morelos will be a blow (need him back for the semi) but I’m confident Sakala/Roofe will do the job.

I’d probably start Sakala through the middle.

Buzzing, gutted it’s at 8PM though.

Edit: Slightly OT, Atalanta play at 5:45 (which is good) but I thought all QF games were 8PM GMT Ko’s?

Last edited:
Come Thursday, I will forget how awful our season, Europe excepted, and how totally unmemorable our 150th anniversary has been, and I will look forward with great excitement to a European quarter-final.

I will allow myself to dream a little; to dream that we can go on and win the trophy – a trophy that would be the greatest achievement in our long and illustrious history.

Yes, we’re all feeling despondent right now – but we could still end this season and look back on it as the greatest one in our history.

So, let’s put our anger and disappointment behind us… temporarily, perhaps – but, for now, let’s dream of glory.

Roll on Thursday.

With Buff I genuinely felt we'd get to the final and then it's anyone's ball game over 90 mins.

Without Buff we just aren't good enough.

I've booked flights for trips up until the final.

However, this is not just a few bad results. We basically have nobody at the club performing as they should aside from a few players that can hold their heads up.

It's worrying times.

To be honest, the only think that could make up for this shit show of a season would be winning the Europa league. Barcelona, West Ham, Lyon, leipzig all tough games. Would be an incredible achievement if we won it.

With Buff I genuinely felt we'd get to the final and then it's anyone's ball game over 90 mins.

Without Buff we just aren't good enough.
I felt the same, very confident if we had Morelos fit , however after watching our front line against them I don’t see where we are scoring goals.

Three ,two, one…..and your back in the room.

Many would have said the same back in 1972.

That season in the league Partick, Celtic (twice), Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee (twice), Motherwell, Morton, Dunfermline and Hibs all beat us and we failed to beat Aberdeen (again) and Clyde. That was 16 points off the pace (24 points in today's money).

We dared to dream of the seemingly impossible back then. Let's hope the 50th anniversary of 1972 is a good omen for the Europa league.

Can't wait for Thursday - it is not a unique situation we find ourselves in.

Braga was the best draw we could have gotten, Morelos will be a blow (need him back for the semi) but I’m confident Sakala/Roofe will do the job.

Are we still awaiting an update on Morelos?

it's our biggest European tie since 2008
at this moment in time we need to block everything else out get behind them and have faith in the team taking us to the semi final

Just do it Rangers players,this is history in the making

Financially winning it is worth about £60m to the club but even getting to the final itself would bring in £10-12m that's vital to our summer transfer business.

For me the league is gone now and I'd honestly concentrate fully on the Scottish Cup and Europe. If we get a good result on Thursday rest players for St Mirren and don't risk any injuries.

In 2008 player burnout probably cost us the Uefa Cup we shouldn't make that mistake again.

Winning the Scottish Cup and even getting to the Europa final would still make it a pretty decent season although not what we wanted in the league.

Edit: Slightly OT, Atalanta play at 5:45 (which is good) but I thought all QF games were 8PM GMT Ko’s?
Think it's to avoid a TV clash with Frankfurt and Roma games. PSV and Feyenoord games in the Conference alternate between 5.45pm and 8pm. Could be wrong.

The only positive thing about week is we have a huge game on Thursday that we can look forward to.

We should throw everything at Europe now even if that means resting top players in league games

If we beat Braga and Morelos is then fit then anything can happen in the three games left.

Without Morelos I'm afraid we are in serious trouble.

Think it's to avoid a TV clash with Frankfurt and Roma games. PSV and Feyenoord games in the Conference alternate between 5.45pm and 8pm. Could be wrong.
Would make sense. Cheers bud.

Delighted though.

Roll on Thursday.
IMO, this season, the club don't deserve a support like ours.
But you're 100% right, we have a 1/4 final of EL to compete in as well as a semi final of a domestic cup. Although it feels like it, the season is far from done.
In fact, the way this season has gone, I wouldn't be shocked if we strolled it past Braga into the semi finals.

Absolutely right. We are the underdogs in this comp and that makes us dangerous. We held our own against Braga not far off two years ago to the day, and this time we get a second leg at home without away goals rules. Do the business here and we’re 180 minutes away from a European cup final and being one of the top 4 clubs in the continent of Europe.

Sorry I’m really not agreeing, Europe is a bonus for me I honestly don’t care as long as we don’t get embarrassed in ties, the league is all that matters to me and I’m still scunnered.

I find Rangers playing this Thursday night to be refreshing after that debacle on Sunday (still hurting bad) anyway my experience watching Rangers play in Europe over the last three years has always left me feeling proud, excited and happy about our club regardless of the result.

For the most part this is what I have enjoyed, compared to watching us play in Scotland, every game that we are involved in playing domestically always seems to come with some kind of controversy followed by bad press.

Roll on Thursday.
Your biggest point for me is the 150th anniversary. Thus far it feels completely flat. Domestically pish, we should have pushed the boat out this year, events at Ibrox seem flat. The midst memorable thing for me is my hoodie that I love. The team don't seem into it at all. Too many who don't get it. Anyway this team surprise constantly. Roll on Thursday

Back