The Europa League – Let’s Dare To Dream

Great post. We want to win something this year, it we dont give up (fans and players) we maximise our chances

Europa qtrs and cup semi - we could rescue this

Many would have said the same back in 1972.

That season in the league Partick, Celtic (twice), Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee (twice), Motherwell, Morton, Dunfermline and Hibs all beat us and we failed to beat Aberdeen (again) and Clyde. That was 16 points off the pace (24 points in today's money).

We dared to dream of the seemingly impossible back then. Let's hope the 50th anniversary of 1972 is a good omen for the Europa league.

Can't wait for Thursday - it is not a unique situation we find ourselves in.
These 1972 tenuous links keep getting bigger, I like it:p:cool:

Is that not the point of football? To dream? To hope your team can achieve things you thought were out of reach?
That's what keeps people following Morton and Partick Thistle.
If you don't have hope you'd be as well as chucking it.
It is a terrible affliction to be hypnotised to dream for your own club. I’ve still to wake up after sixty years.

That season in the league Partick, Celtic (twice), Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee (twice), Motherwell, Morton, Dunfermline and Hibs all beat us and we failed to beat Aberdeen (again) and Clyde. That was 16 points off the pace (24 points in today's money).

We dared to dream of the seemingly impossible back then. Let's hope the 50th anniversary of 1972 is a good omen for the Europa league.

Keep Believing.

This is something that only happens once every 15 years on average, it will only be the 3rd time in my lifetime and only the 2nd time I can remember that we’ve been to a quarter final of a European competition, even then the quarter final of the European cup under Souness is a hazy memory.

I suppose 92/93 was the last 8 of the Champions league too and effectively we were one win away, but you get my point, these runs are rare.

We’re all pissed about Sunday and the league form in general, but we really should be making the most of this as we could have another 15 years to wait for the next tie we play at this stage!

I just hope we don’t get scudded on Thursday where the tie is effectively over before Ibrox

I think too many are underestimating Braga which concerns me.

Defend well and if Kent shows up attacking wise, we’ll definitely score.

I sincerely hope though Sakala starts wide right for his pace. Can’t stand the thought of seeing Aribo prance about the park doing nothing yet again

Ooft, I didn’t realise that our league form was so poor that season!

If we won the Europa league I wouldn’t give a rats arse about the title B-)

The importance of success in Europe has certainly now increased.

This team have proven that they can play to a very high level in Europe.

Perhaps a number of players can go out in a blaze of glory, before a big rebuild in the summer.

Last edited:
If we get through Braga then it's starts to get very serious. Infact, I would say it becomes number 1 priority

It already is for me. League is gone and aside from the fact I don’t want us losing to Them again I don’t care all that much about a solitary Scottish Cup.

It would truly be the most ridiculous thing imaginable if we were to somehow pull out a European trophy given the absolute shit show we have endured domestically since January.

But the players have shown they actually care about these games so you never know. Morelos being out is huge though, I just don’t see where the attacking threat is coming from when he’s not there.

Ooft, I didn’t realise that our league form was so poor that season!

If we won the Europa league I wouldn’t give a rats arse about the title B-)

its only us and the jungle jims who care about the title, a euro trophy guarantees immortality.

i did think Sunday was must win, espcially after Alfie's news, but........ football, bloody hell, who knows.

Sorry I’m really not agreeing, Europe is a bonus for me I honestly don’t care as long as we don’t get embarrassed in ties, the league is all that matters to me and I’m still scunnered.

Well you better get bothered and unstaunch yourself because the best chnace we have at getting into the CL directly aint coming from the league.

I just hope we don’t get scudded on Thursday where the tie is effectively over before Ibrox

I think too many are underestimating Braga which concerns me.

Defend well and if Kent shows up attacking wise, we’ll definitely score.

I sincerely hope though Sakala starts wide right for his pace. Can’t stand the thought of seeing Aribo prance about the park doing nothing yet again
I know I shouldn’t laugh but spot on:))

Pointless mate.

We’re crap with the worst manager ever so no point looking forward to it.
Pointless mate.

We’re crap with the worst manager ever so no point looking forward to it.
You must be about 10. Cause anyone even remotely older would understand your statement is incomprehensible. I'm at a loss for you. So watching Rangers and get another hobby. Never read such nonsense as this

I have already had that dream, but I honestly can't see it happening. Braga beat Benfica on Friday and have had those extra 2 days rest. They will be on a high. We are not.

Morelos being out is clearly a blow, but we have played out best football this season in the Europa League.

This is not an easy tie but I'm sure the players will be up for it & will also know these chances don't come around often.

With Buff I genuinely felt we'd get to the final and then it's anyone's ball game over 90 mins.

Without Buff we just aren't good enough.
Exactly my thinking also. I can’t see us getting through without him but im still in a dark depression from sunday so my opinion is skewed more

If we had Alfie I would be confident

Zero confidence now. If he plays McGregor then the best we can hope for is a narrow defeat / draw

Love Europe, gets me right excited.

Braga was the best draw we could have gotten, Morelos will be a blow (need him back for the semi) but I’m confident Sakala/Roofe will do the job.

I’d probably start Sakala through the middle.

Buzzing, gutted it’s at 8PM though.

Edit: Slightly OT, Atalanta play at 5:45 (which is good) but I thought all QF games were 8PM GMT Ko’s?
I guess it's because Frankfurt are at home tonight and they don't want two teams from the same country playing at the same time?

If we had Alfie I would be confident

Zero confidence now. If he plays McGregor then the best we can hope for is a narrow defeat / draw

McGregor has actually been pretty good in Europe no?

It's domestically he's let us down.

Reactions: VGM
Come Thursday, I will forget how awful our season, Europe excepted, and how totally unmemorable our 150th anniversary has been, and I will look forward with great excitement to a European quarter-final.

I will allow myself to dream a little; to dream that we can go on and win the trophy – a trophy that would be the greatest achievement in our long and illustrious history.

Yes, we’re all feeling despondent right now – but we could still end this season and look back on it as the greatest one in our history.

Make no mistake, winning a European trophy transcends everything.

So, let’s put our anger and disappointment behind us… temporarily, perhaps – but, for now, let’s dream of glory.

Roll on Thursday.
Yeah been an awful season for us from the departure of Gerrard, LC semi, the stitch up from the SPL to bring forward the winter break early to suit the scum,that awful night on the 2nd Feb ,the lost points late in games when we were winning, another defeat to them.
I would love to win the Europa League , but it ain't gonna happen, not with that defence and Alfie out injured, hope I'm wrong

Had the stuffing knocked out of us with the shambles of this league campaign and the Alfie news but we’ve still got a massive opportunity on our hands. Play up the Glasgow Rangers!

A lot of things look like 2007/2008

Play Lyon in group stage
Knock out Red star
Knock out Germans in last 16
Knock out Portuguese in quarters?
Play Italians in Semi

Other things sell star youth Right Back in January and a new Batman film in the cinema

Davis was on loan that season, now Ramsey

We lost Mcgregor that season through injury. Maybe Hagi takes that role

Morelos to miss final like cousin?

Ok I’m clutching straws

All things considered yea were going to final

A lot of things look like 2007/2008

Play Lyon in group stage
Knock out Red star
Knock out Germans in last 16
Knock out Portuguese in quarters?
Play Italians in Semi

Other things sell star youth Right Back in January and a new Batman film in the cinema

Davis was on loan that season, now Ramsey

We lost Mcgregor that season through injury. Maybe Hagi takes that role

Morelos to miss final like cousin?

Ok I’m clutching straws

All things considered yea were going to final

Morelos?

Roofe banned in the 2nd lef of the semi for heed butting some one?

Clutching at straws indeed but its all we've got haha.

Would have more confidence if Morelos was starting i just dont see us getting past this very decent Braga team without him. The season has a fizzled out feel about it and i will be pleasantly surprised if were still in the tie after tonight

Come Thursday, I will forget how awful our season, Europe excepted, and how totally unmemorable our 150th anniversary has been, and I will look forward with great excitement to a European quarter-final.

I will allow myself to dream a little; to dream that we can go on and win the trophy – a trophy that would be the greatest achievement in our long and illustrious history.

Yes, we’re all feeling despondent right now – but we could still end this season and look back on it as the greatest one in our history.

Make no mistake, winning a European trophy transcends everything.

So, let’s put our anger and disappointment behind us… temporarily, perhaps – but, for now, let’s dream of glory.

Roll on Thursday.
The beauty of being a football fan is that no matter how poor a result or performance it's all pushed to the side when the next game comes around.

We all want to win the L:eague, indeed every game we play but a European trophy, only the second in our history, would be massive for the Club especially in this year. The draw has been favourable, not easy but favourable. It's in our hands to take another step towards a historic achievement.

Good OP.

Win the EL and it'll go down as the greatest season in our club's long history.

Indeed, given the financial imbalance and the mechanisms in place to make it harder than it's ever been for a club outwith the top 5 leagues to win a european trophy, it would be the greatest season of any in the history of Scottish football.

We're a couple game away from a semi, at which point anything is possible.

Back