The foul by Lundstrum before their second goal yesterday

scottyfrancis1996

Can anyone tell me how on earth that is a foul and a yellow card? I said it at the time he cleanly won the ball and I've seen it again on the replay of the match on Sky and it's not even a foul as Lundstrum won the ball. Did anyone else have a feeling that the first yellow yesterday was going to be a Rangers player no matter the score at the time?

I thought it was a good challenge. And from where I was sitting in the Govan Rear, it looked like he won the ball cleanly and sent it into the Govan Front.

My brother and I also had a laugh at that xFouls or xCards stat we seen on FF a few weeks ago, and by the time Lundstrum got that yellow card Celtic must’ve had their 10 free kicks with no punishment.

What makes me laugh is how commentators and media like to build our game up as a big, bad, no holds barred derby and when there’s a tackle like that it’s a yellow and a free kick.

Obviously not going to watch the game back to change my mind, but at the time it looked fair to me.

There was worse tackles in the game that weren't even free kicks. Aribo had one second half that he went into straight leg and studs up, right in front of collum and he let it go

Hard but fair.

After their consistent fouling all game, it gave Gollum his chance to give the first yellow to a Rangers player.
That is the only bit I would complain about. To me it was a yellow card. However he had let four of their players away with similar and in one case even worse before that tackle. Starfish was allowed carte blanche and could have seen 4 yellows.

Immediately before that we’d 3-4 relatively straightforward opportunities to win the ball back on the half way line but we were far too weak in the challenges and were eventually out muscled.

Happened far too many times yesterday.

I’m afraid “won the ball” isn’t the criteria anymore for a fair challenge and tbh hasn’t been for a long time

Might not be a popular opinion but I thought it was a stupid and reckless challenge that ended up costing us a goal
This is the crux of it, it’s no longer just a matter of winning the ball cleanly, if in the process you subsequently make contact with the opponent’s leg in a manner than could have hurt him, then that’s a foul. I’m not justifying the rules, but they have changed and that was always going to be a booking.
As for that lot, loads of ‘professional fouls’, but not ‘crunching tackles’. I was pissed with Collum for not blowing up early for persistent fouling as they’ve been doing that as part of their game plan all season, but he’d clearly decided he was going to keep the cards in his pocket for that.
Just another example of them being coached better than us.

Can anyone tell me how on earth that is a foul and a yellow card? I said it at the time he cleanly won the ball and I've seen it again on the replay of the match on Sky and it's not even a foul as Lundstrum won the ball. Did anyone else have a feeling that the first yellow yesterday was going to be a Rangers player no matter the score at the time?
Haven't seen it again but I said to a few folk around me, when they were persistently fouling, that the first player booked would be a Rangers player.

I think it was a foul & probably a yellow. It was a bit reckless tbh.

They got away with murder in the first half by professional fouling when we were about to counter. The problem is the fouls don't look much but have a huge impact collectively
jota had a foul on bassey in the first minute or two that could easily have been a booking but wasnt even spoken too.

The ref cheated even at simple things like throw ins that edweird has highlighted. All these small decisions went in celtic favour.

This is the crux of it, it’s no longer just a matter of winning the ball cleanly, if in the process you subsequently make contact with the opponent’s leg in a manner than could have hurt him, then that’s a foul. I’m not justifying the rules, but they have changed and that was always going to be a booking.
As for that lot, loads of ‘professional fouls’, but not ‘crunching tackles’. I was pissed with Collum for not blowing up early for persistent fouling as they’ve been doing that as part of their game plan all season, but he’d clearly decided he was going to keep the cards in his pocket for that.
Just another example of them being coached better than us.
Coached better at persistent fouling surely that’s up to the Official to render this tactic useless,but as the stats proof all Season they are allowed to use this tactic to their overall advantage we know what to do now in the next match .

Coached better at persistent fouling surely that’s up to the Official to render this tactic useless,but as the stats proof all Season they are allowed to use this tactic to their overall advantage we know what to do now in the next match .
I agree, officials should nip it in the bud, but they don’t, they focus on the crunching tackles as that’s easy and they’re not going to get flack for handing out cards for those. Refs don’t want to send someone off for two yellows for persistent fouling if they’re just niggly fouls with no one hurt. It’s not right, but it’s understandable, that lot know it and play to it. We don’t

Starfelt had at least 4 bookable offences imo over 90 havent seen back just observation from being at game.
He was the worst. Terrible foul on Aribo on the SJ touchline, stonewall booking, but not for Collum. I also thought he was fouling Balogun for the first goal.

I agree, officials should nip it in the bud, but they don’t, they focus on the crunching tackles as that’s easy and they’re not going to get flack for handing out cards for those. Refs don’t want to send someone off for two yellows for persistent fouling if they’re just niggly fouls with no one hurt. It’s not right, but it’s understandable, that lot know it and play to it. We don’t
do you think any of our players wouldve got away with 5/6 fouls without a booking in the first half? if we tried this tactic it wouldnt work for us as the ref wouldnt allow it.

It highlights why we do well in europe and they dont, we'd have got a draw at the absolute least with euro/unbiased refs yesterday.

We need to it’s cost us we need to make loads of inconsistent fouls breaking up their play only thing is we will most likely be punished for it .

do you think any of our playerd wouldve got away with 5/6 fouls without a booking in the first half? if we tried this tactic it wouldnt work for us as the ref wouldnt allow it.

It highlights why we do well in europe and they dont, we'd have got a draw at the absolute least with euro/unbiased refs yesterday.
It would be foolish not to if they are going to punish us for it they would have to do likewise with them,well you like to think that would be the outcome.

I was shouting out all game for our players to go in the tackle hard, leave some marks on the fcukers. So can't complain when one of them goes in hard.

do you think any of our players wouldve got away with 5/6 fouls without a booking in the first half? if we tried this tactic it wouldnt work for us as the ref wouldnt allow it.

Sorry, I didn’t mean we should make loads of professional fouls just because they do, and you’re right about the different treatment we get from Euro refs, 100%, I was just trying to highlight that domestically what that lot do works for them. I got onto this by trying to point out that crunching tackles like Lundstrum’s one yesterday and going to get a booking every time nowadays.

I wouldnt say it was a shocking decision but it did at least let you see what the refs tactics are and how hes thinking about the game.... strict laws and rules for Rangers let as much go as possible with Celtic.

I think we may well have lost anyway but it was another game where not one person on their side could find anything to moan about.

By using europa league tactics to deal with our lot and the same kind of rules from scottish football 15/20 years ago for the tims, they have corrupted this title perfectly and made sure media coverage for refs is at an all time high.

A keeper rooted to his line and pish defending cost us a goal.
He did not need to go in as hard and risk giving away the foul in that area. Naive play to give away fouls in the range where they can get a cross in or shoot. Basics. The goalie and defending didn't help but knowing how bad we are in that area, it makes it even more important to not give away stupid fouls.

Sorry, I didn’t mean we should make loads of professional fouls just because they do, and you’re right about the different treatment we get from Euro refs, 100%, I was just trying to highlight that domestically what that lot do works for them. I got onto this by trying to point out that crunching tackles like Lundstrum’s one yesterday and going to get a booking every time nowadays.
they/we are completely refereed to different standards, even the linesman.

2nd half main stand linesman was hawk eyed.
2nd half govan linesman allowed them two break aways that were a country mile offside.

This needs to ne addressed as thats Gerrard and Gio now both suffering badly at the hands of cheats.

He did not need to go in as hard and risk giving away the foul in that area. Naive play to give away fouls in the range where they can get a cross in or shoot. Basics. The goalie and defending didn't help but knowing how bad we are in that area, it makes it even more important to not give away stupid fouls.
You could give away a foul at the opposition 18 yard box and it can be delivered into our box. It wasn't as if it were whipped in or some sort of miracle delivery. It was a high floated ball ffs.

Back