The Gherald reporting that the Peasants could be granted an automatic Champions League place every season

muttley

Apparently, UEFA want to change the Champions League and clubs that have won the trophy before could be given a automatic spot. Utterly horrific, if true.

Apparently, UEFA want to change the Champions League and clubs that have won the trophy before could be given a automatic spot. Utterly horrific, if true.

Surely not? Scottish teams have contributed massively to European football over the decades and I include them in that and the fact we all have to do four qualifiers is a joke imo

But that’s fucking scandalous

This will never happen, think how many winners of the European Cup there has been over the years.

Even if they tried this with Champions League winners if would be a woeful idea and could once and for all ruin my enjoyment of football out with Rangers.

Celtic have never won the champions league. That'll be the loophole to ensure tinpot sides like celtic dont get in

It must also be pointed out that the old-style European Cup bears no relation at all to the modern Champions League.

Linfield were quarter-finalists the year Celtic fluked their win. No best of the best in those days.

It's a totally stupid idea proposed by a few clubs pushing rampant self interest.

UEFA love shite like this so it may well happen...:))

This was a proposal by a small number of clubs including the mhanks was it not?

Absolute lunacy and never going to happen.

Reactions: VGM
It would devalue the whole competition if this was to happen,tims in at the expense of a english, Italian, or spanish club don't think they will go down that road.

Liewell has been pushing this bullshit agenda for ages no chance will the cash cow that is the cl allow 20 nothing clubs to suddenly get into the group stages

They basically want it a closed shop so they can include more teams from the biggest leagues. Scotland won't be welcome in that.

This will be why they are bringing in this third European tournament so the Europa League will become the pinnacle tournament for diddy nations and also rans from the top nations.

I hope they are gullible enough to buy into it.

UEFA don't give a f*ck about teams outwith the top 4 or 5 leagues.

If that was the case the 8 original participants in to the CL should be given an automatic spot as founding fathers.

Last edited:

So about 24 of the 32 spots are pre determined every season?

Nonsense Timmy pandering by the Scottish media

That's like Gary Player getting automatic entry to The Masters every year.

Bad example mAte as all past winners do get automatic invite, at least for a number of years. That’s the only reason why Sandy Lyle still plays each year.

I’m sure that the Man City and PSG’s of this world will be perfectly understanding of this, not!

Can just see Spurs, Atletico Madrid and the Red Bull clubs allowing this to happen.

So second tier domestic outfits like Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and Hamburg are going to get byes into the CL every season?

I don’t think so.

This was a proposal by a small number of clubs including the mhanks was it not?

Absolute lunacy and never going to happen.
Yes it was, who do you think is behind it all? Good old Liewell of course, I wouldn’t rubbish it just yet.
They’ll do anything to keep financially in front of us.

Back