The Gherald reporting that the Peasants could be granted an automatic Champions League place every season

It's not nonsense, but there's more to it.

The Telegraph reported about it a fortnight ago, including quotes from the ECA.

The issue that is being discussed is that coefficients would be heavily weighted by historical achievement in the competition, so a Celtic, Red Star or PSV wouldn't have had to play in the qualifiers this season. That may actually pass without too much controversy as a gesture of goodwill towards the smaller nations. The coefficients already changed to accommodate a watered down version of this and they already make it easier for domestic winners in qualifying, so don't write this plan off.

The proposals to have 8 team groups or weekend games are very divisive though and the the EPL and Bundesliga have come out strongly against it.

I did a bit more digging on this, given the hyperbolic reporting in the Scottish media.

UEFA recently introduced a change for this season and running for the 2018-2021 cycle that ALREADY includes ranking points (co-efficient) for previous success. For example, the Dhims got 4 points for their win and we got 1 point for 1972 in Barcelona.

The historical points ONLY count - currently - towards a clubs 10 year ranking but NOT the 5 year ranking as far as I can establish. The difference being that it is the 5 year ranking that decides your co-efficient for that years competition, i.e. the 5 year ranking determines your seeding for that years competition. That is NOT affected by your points awarded for historical wins. Where the historical wins seem to have relevance is in the 10 year ranking. The 10 year ranking's primary impact seems to be in determining your revenue share of the prize money. Still important but absolutely no impact on qualification process for the group stages.

My suspicion is that the ECA (of which Liewell is a prominent figure) want to see this changed so that the historical points awarded become part of the 5 year ranking. That COULD mean an easier qualification process - because a club may be ranked higher/have a higher co-efficient - but it WOULD NOT guarantee entry to the group stages. For any club.

From the ECA website (and dated yesterday):

"The UEFA Club Ranking takes into account the results of each club in UEFA Club Competition and is used to determine a club's seeding in club competition draws (5-year ranking) as well as a club's revenue share (10-year ranking). The coefficients will be updated directly after each completed round of matches.

The 5-year ranking coefficients are composed of match points and bonus points obtained during the running European club competition season. Should a club's individual coefficient be less than 20% of the national association's 5-year coefficient, the club receives the national association's 20% as a minimum guarantee (*).

The 10-year ranking also takes into account historical success in European club competitions by attributing points per title won as follows:

Last 5 years: UCL (12pts), UEL (3pts)
As of 1992/93: UCL (8pts), UEL (3pts), CWC (1pt)
Before 1992/93: UCL (4pts), UEL (1pt), CWC (1pt)

Please note that ECA is not responsible for the data in this ranking. Use the filter below to choose between the 5- and 10-year ranking."

The link below takes you to their page. It also lets you filter the 5/10 year ranking by club.

https://www.ecaeurope.com/uefa-rankings-access-list/club-ranking/?page=1&years=5

Thanks for that.

So a totally different "story" to the one being discussed here. That they get an automatic place in the CL Group stages because they won the previous competition, over 50 years ago.

It certainly looks that way - though I'm only surmising that is what the ECA proposal to UEFA will be. I don't think they have any chance of much more than that. Worth pointing out though that, despite the reports, this looks like its a proposal from the ECA to UEFA and nothing more. Its not UEFA suggesting this and they will, most probably, not agree the proposed change anyway.

The interesting bit, for me, was that historical wins already counted from this season - but only in the 10 year ranking. I wasn't aware of that. I also think that is how UEFA will want to keep it and they will reject the proposal.

Sorry but this should be filed under a load of shite. No way would they put Celtc into it automatically and Ignore the likes of Arsenal and teams from Italy, Spain,France and Germany that have not won it....It's viewing figures they want for advertisers and they won't get them with teams from Scotland

If this were to happen and i very doubt it,,, it would be the end of the Scottish league as a contest, a guaranteed 30 million every year, would put them in an unsaleable position,, so let's hope that this is alot of shite

They won it once '67 and lost in the final during extra time against Feyenoord in '70. By the way the so called great manager Jock Stein was the reason they lost in '70 as Dutch football was an unknown quantity at the time. He showed them a lack of respect and they were beaten. They thought they just had to turn up. They are hardly one of the great European clubs.

So the solution to ensure teams have a fair crack at qualification, is to include teams who have not achieved anything to warrant a space, including some in lower leagues? File this under the Gherald wanting to write a story that reminds anyone reading that the scum won the European Cup once

They won it once '67 and lost in the final during extra time against Feyenoord in '70. By the way the so called great manager Jock Stein was the reason they lost in '70 as Dutch football was an unknown quantity at the time. He showed them a lack of respect and they were beaten. They thought they just had to turn up. They are hardly one of the great European clubs.

They also got to the final in 1970 by winning a coin toss not the tie itself in the quarter final.

I did a bit more digging on this, given the hyperbolic reporting in the Scottish media.

UEFA recently introduced a change for this season and running for the 2018-2021 cycle that ALREADY includes ranking points (co-efficient) for previous success. For example, the Dhims got 4 points for their win and we got 1 point for 1972 in Barcelona.

The historical points ONLY count - currently - towards a clubs 10 year ranking but NOT the 5 year ranking as far as I can establish. The difference being that it is the 5 year ranking that decides your co-efficient for that years competition, i.e. the 5 year ranking determines your seeding for that years competition. That is NOT affected by your points awarded for historical wins. Where the historical wins seem to have relevance is in the 10 year ranking. The 10 year ranking's primary impact seems to be in determining your revenue share of the prize money. Still important but absolutely no impact on qualification process for the group stages.

My suspicion is that the ECA (of which Liewell is a prominent figure) want to see this changed so that the historical points awarded become part of the 5 year ranking. That COULD mean an easier qualification process - because a club may be ranked higher/have a higher co-efficient - but it WOULD NOT guarantee entry to the group stages. For any club.

From the ECA website (and dated yesterday):

"The UEFA Club Ranking takes into account the results of each club in UEFA Club Competition and is used to determine a club's seeding in club competition draws (5-year ranking) as well as a club's revenue share (10-year ranking). The coefficients will be updated directly after each completed round of matches.

The 5-year ranking coefficients are composed of match points and bonus points obtained during the running European club competition season. Should a club's individual coefficient be less than 20% of the national association's 5-year coefficient, the club receives the national association's 20% as a minimum guarantee (*).

The 10-year ranking also takes into account historical success in European club competitions by attributing points per title won as follows:

Last 5 years: UCL (12pts), UEL (3pts)
As of 1992/93: UCL (8pts), UEL (3pts), CWC (1pt)
Before 1992/93: UCL (4pts), UEL (1pt), CWC (1pt)

Please note that ECA is not responsible for the data in this ranking. Use the filter below to choose between the 5- and 10-year ranking."

The link below takes you to their page. It also lets you filter the 5/10 year ranking by club.

https://www.ecaeurope.com/uefa-rankings-access-list/club-ranking/?page=1&years=5
thanks for giving us an explanation but by feck that gave me a headache reading it

How could that work...has to be based on current performances, not a win decades ago when the football universe was completely different

UEFA doesn't want Scottish teams competing in their premium competition, or Danish, Norwegian, etc. you get the general idea.

And why would Marseille be allowed in after their dubious behaviour during the season they won it?

What Celtic fans won’t accept that if they get invited to the party we do too. They won’t break up such a money spinning combination with two ofvthe biggest supported clubs around.

I read this stuff the other day about their historic significance to the European cup but we have that too with the fact we were one if the first 8 teams in the champions league in which that format was proposed by Rangers Campbell Ogilvey.

Remember when the beasts were crowing about being in P.E.S only got the next day for their bubble to be burst with the news that of course we were going to be in it too.

Rangers are a club on the rise again and we have an icon of the modern game spearheading that return. A sponsor and marketing gift in reality

What Celtic fans won’t accept that if they get invited to the party we do too. They won’t break up such a money spinning combination with two ofvthe biggest supported clubs around.

I read this stuff the other day about their historic significance to the European cup but we have that too with the fact we were one if the first 8 teams in the champions league in which that format was proposed by Rangers Campbell Ogilvey.

Remember when the beasts were crowing about being in P.E.S only got the next day for their bubble to be burst with the news that of course we were going to be in it too.

Rangers are a club on the rise again and we have an icon of the modern game spearheading that return. A sponsor and marketing gift in reality

We've been in more European Finals than that lot, something the mhedia also forgets.

Back