The Keeper Situation

I for one am grateful for everything Allan Mcgregor has done for this club but 3 maybe 4 games have been lost at his hands. Is Mcglaughlin good enough to stand in next season or should we be looking at someone like Benjamin Siegrist.

Jay Hogarth would be better than McGregor right now.

Firmly believe that we would have won the league with our number 2 or number 3 playing the majority of the games.

Once McGregor leaves, I’m relatively relaxed about the position. Might not see the odd Hollywood save, but I refuse to believe we will see as many calamitous howlers.

Leagues done, tell McGregor he can piss about the stands for the next 6 weeks and get McCrorie or McLaughlin playing.

If I was in the recruitment team I’d look for the following things:

• International experience
  • Good passer of the ball and can act as a sweeper to let us play a high line
  • Can confidently come for crosses (punch or catch, I don’t care, so long as he comes and contacts the ball)
  • Has no injury record

One of the best shot stoppers we've ever had no doubt about it but his all round game is way below the level we need to retain the title. He's now too slow on his feet, doesn't come off his line for high balls into his area and his distribution is poor.

If I was in the recruitment team I’d look for the following things:

• International experience
  • Good passer of the ball and can act as a sweeper to let us play a high line
  • Can confidently come for crosses (punch or catch, I don’t care, so long as he comes and contacts the ball)
  • Has no injury record
Our current number 2 ticks most of these boxes and is nowhere near as average as some make out

I’d be happy with JM as number 1 next year

McGregors time as rangers number 1 has come to an end and the last 6 months have only tarnished his reputation. It’s sad to witness his demise being played out in front of our eyes. The player himself surely realises he is costing us games as are a few others.

Now that the league is pretty much gone McLaughlin has to come in for the St Mirren game and if he performs he keeps his spot for the Braga home game.

A lot of people have a hard time seperating who Allan McGregor was as a keeper, with who he is now. Sometimes even I feel guilty criticising him this season because of everything he's done for the club and the goalkeeper he was - but the stark truth is that he's no longer the same player.

It's not a slight on the man, age will get all of us eventually, and I can totally understand his desire to keep playing.

This one is on the manager and coaching staff who have sat back and let the situation deteriorate to this point. I don't think McLaughlin is a full time number 1, but I also don't think we'd be 6 points behind if he'd come in after Ross County either.

A lot of people have a hard time seperating who Allan McGregor was as a keeper, with who he is now. Sometimes even I feel guilty criticising him this season because of everything he's done for the club and the goalkeeper he was - but the stark truth is that he's no longer the same player.

It's not a slight on the man, age will get all of us eventually, and I can totally understand his desire to keep playing.

This one is on the manager and coaching staff who have sat back and let the situation deteriorate to this point. I don't think McLaughlin is a full time number 1, but I also don't think we'd be 6 points behind if he'd come in after Ross County either.
Exactly and its why they should be emptied.

That and telling the media which players wont start 24 hours before a game, don't tell them feck all unless they are long term injuries.

Said after Ross County and Parkhead Mcgregor could cost Gio his job if he stuck with him and its looking that way.

Play Mcrorie from now till the end of the season in the league, let see if hes got it, nothing to lose now anyway.
This is the most bewildering question I cannot understand- why does he stick with him when option's.

McLaughlin should have absolutely been our first choice this season, and it has been complete negligence from the management team to continue to play McGregor since October. McLaughlin is a solid, dependable goalkeeper, who has performed really well whenever he's had the chance for us.

In terms of next season, we can definitely go out and find someone better who will be a longer-term option than McLaughlin.

I for one am grateful for everything Allan Mcgregor has done for this club but 3 maybe 4 games have been lost at his hands. Is Mcglaughlin good enough to stand in next season or should we be looking at someone like Benjamin Siegrist.
Siegrist would be decent free transfer to compete with McLaughlin, but is he really better?

His blunder against the tims in Scottish Cup recently was similar to McGregor's howler at Ross County, no idea what other mistakes he's made though.

I suspect that if McLaughlin was a regular at any other Premier League club we'd probably all be shouting to go sign him.

McLaughlin has always looked assured and capable to me, think there will be higher priorities elsewhere on pitch to spend summer limited transfer funds on.

Know what for me has been a massive thing this year?

I genuinely think the defence panics now at times when he’s in and balls are coming in.

He never came off line previously but he’s withers sometimes on whether to come off and it just creates confusion

Compare to the last couple years it’s night and day

McLaughlin should have come in after Ross County, had a good run in the team and we still would be top of the table and nothing would have changed in Europe, we would still have gotten this far.

The blame is entirely on Gio, it's far too big a job for him, scared to make difficult a decision.

JM is good enough, we need to prioritise other areas, as a poster above said it’s more concerning how the no 1 situation has been managed by Gio.

Know what for me has been a massive thing this year?

I genuinely think the defence panics now at times when he’s in and balls are coming in.

He never came off line previously but he’s withers sometimes on whether to come off and it just creates confusion

Compare to the last couple years it’s night and day
Agree. It's clear this season he is half coming fir crosses then suddenly stops or goes back. He really has cost us alot of points.

I’m happy with McLaughlin, with the likes of Johnstone being linked (who’s overrated) I’d rather we spent the wages on quality attackers

He’s single handedly lost us a lot of points but he’s not the only one.

McLaughlin isn’t good enough to be No 1 next season.

We need a new keeper
I think McLaughlin is better than people give him credit for. If it wasn't for the fact we have Shagger here as the current no.1, most folk would be happy to have someone like him starting. He is a better allrounder than McGregor at this time imho.
We also need the defence to cut out some of the stupid mistakes we have seen but a keeper who commands his area is one thing we really need. Look how many goals we have conceded this season from crosses and set pieces when teams fire the ball right into our penalty area and 6 yard box.

If we can invest a serious chunk of cash in the goalkeepers position in the summer then we should do it - I like McLaughlin but if we have aspirations of being in around the Champions League, or at the very least regularly involved in European competition into April, then he isn’t going to cut it.

There might be other priorities this summer, but to be honest delaying it kind of feels like kicking the can down the road for an indefinite period. We’ll always find reasons to stick with decent and experienced pro’s like McLaughlin to save cash if we look for them, rather than investing good money into a quality, long-term McGregor replacement.

He’s single handedly lost us a lot of points but he’s not the only one.

McLaughlin isn’t good enough to be No 1 next season.

We need a new keeper
McLaughlin is the number 1 next season, if the Fraisl reports are true.

Not good enough to play just now whilst our GK costs us points every other week, but good enough for next season.

Make it make sense.

Remember we lost 1-0 to Dundee Utd with one of the jammiest deflected passes ever. Loads of folk on this site commented that McLaughlin should have ‘done better’ and could have ‘closed the angle down’.

Having just watched that goal for the first time since the game it’s actually breath taking that he was given stick at the time when you consider the absolute car crash of a season McGregor has served up.

A season too far for McGregor. No use making a spectacular save after you've palmed a shot straight to the opposition for a goal.

This 100%. I dread every cross ball in our box and every team knows it’s a major weakness. He needs to go and I say that with some sadness but every career comes to an end.

Sadly he is done, and imo has been all season, but as long as Gio is in charge he will get picked every time.

Money is tight. Don't think we need to bring in a new keeper especially one from the bargin basement. JMcL deserves a chance and can do us a turn imo.

We need a GK like the Red Star goalie (not actually him though.) A collosus that commands his box and can play a bit too

I would sooner have a goalkeeper that saves what you'd expect him to but lets in what you'd expect to go in... than a keeper who pulls off world class saves but makes calamities.

McGregor has been a great servant but this was a season too far. He is still capable of the odd brilliant save but there has been too many errors. He's also a relic of his time in being one of very few keepers around who has never worked on his distribution which is massively important in the modern game.
I'd have no issues with McLaughlin in goal rest of the season but it's a position that needs a proper upgrade in the summer.

We don't know if McLaughlin is the man as he has had so few opportunities. The question i will ask anyone who raises this as an issue however is to tell me of any occasion when McLaughlin has let us down when he's started. That cannot be said of McGregor. He has been immense for us in the past but imo he has gone one season too far and it has cost us.

Genuinely would like to see what has caused people to form the opinion Jon McLaughlin is not good enough to be number one?

I don't think he's ever had a bad performance for us?

If you went to any junior team this season and plucked their keeper to play ahead of McGregor we'd still be top of the league. He's been that bad.

It's no exaggeration to say he's been responsible for at least a dozen goals and just about as many points. What other team stands by and lets that happen before replacing the keeper?

Literally any semi-competent keeper wouldn't be making the basic errors he has this season. Don't care if he makes a top class penalty save 7 months into the season, big deal. Domestically we face danger at set pieces so if a keeper can come and collect the ball he's instantly better for us than McGregor is.

Siegrist is meant to be coming to us ,that's the talk at tannadice . I was talking to a very prominent former players family member from up there today .
I'm so not ITK btw

McGregor has served us well, very well.
However this season for anyone who has seen every Rangers game as a supporter there is panic when a ball comes into the box and you see him rooted on his line. You are screaming at him to come out for the ball and you just see the outcome before it happens and its been costing us on too many occasions. He will then go on to have a fantastic shot stopping game in Europe soon after and one of his ex team mates will be in the media telling all he's world class and not finished.
It's then rinsed and repeated and more points dropped. If i can see this then then the manager cannot be blind to it and he needs to take some of the blame.
At their second goal yesterday when that ball went so high into our box you just knew...

Back