The Keeper Situation

No problems with JM as no.1 next season. Just don't understand why McGregor hasn't been dropped. People saying McLaughlin isn't good enough based on absolutely nothing. JM just signed a 2 year extension, should've been in after Ross County. Fraisl makes sense as a back up signing but if he's to be first choice then it's a major concern.

With our limited funds I think the goalkeeping position is one that we do not need to use our resource for. JM and RMcC are both capable and i'd be happy sticking with them.
With Souttar coming in and hopefully another powerful and skilled (Doehki-free) centre half hopefully the basic errors will be significantly reduced. With Tav and Bassey it is a good base to build from and leaves cash to stengthen the wing, mid and stricker positions

Even back when Alexander was there, I had the view that Alexander would be competent. Capable and reliable - McGregor was more capable of the "big" saves you shouldn't be making but, had an error in him.

I look at McLaughlin and McGregor as the same.

I also go back to a goal for Brazil against England. The one from Ronaldinho from about 40 yards. It showed me that although he could still make saves - Seaman's legs had gone.

I think McGregor's legs have gone. He can still do the reactionary stuff - but, is struggling with routine stuff.

McGregor IS capable of big saves - but, McLaughlin would be more steady. Positives and negatives.

Our current number 2 ticks most of these boxes and is nowhere near as average as some make out

I’d be happy with JM as number 1 next year
we have too at least give him a chance of a full season its the least he deserves ........

ps the tims signed a 34 yr old and while past his best he's good enough for SPFL

Even back when Alexander was there, I had the view that Alexander would be competent. Capable and reliable - McGregor was more capable of the "big" saves you shouldn't be making but, had an error in him.

I look at McLaughlin and McGregor as the same.

I also go back to a goal for Brazil against England. The one from Ronaldinho from about 40 yards. It showed me that although he could still make saves - Seaman's legs had gone.

I think McGregor's legs have gone. He can still do the reactionary stuff - but, is struggling with routine stuff.

McGregor IS capable of big saves - but, McLaughlin would be more steady. Positives and negatives.

As I said yesterday and stand by. He’s the goal keeping equivalent of Niko Krankjar. Capable of sublime moments that no one else in our squad can do but can’t perform the absolute basic requirements of a professional footballer.

All that said, Keep him on as a Goalie coach. Could be a good mentor to young McCrorie
He is not a coach by any stretch. Having been on courses and him as a speaker. Alan is a player and nothing else. He has went through none of his qualifications to assist that.

Our current number 2 ticks most of these boxes and is nowhere near as average as some make out

I’d be happy with JM as number 1 next year
I must still be stunned following yesterday's capitulation (sadly all too predictable as soon as we heard Alfie was out) but for once I agree.

McLaughlin has a more than decent record in his limited appearances and deserves a chance.

I said at the end of last season that Defoe, Davis and McGregor should have been thanked for their service and allowed to leave. I fully stand by that today.
Goldson should also been printed if he wasn't going to extend.
Celtic are well ahead of us in this aspect.

I must still be stunned following yesterday's capitulation (sadly all too predictable as soon as we heard Alfie was out) but for once I agree.

McLaughlin has a more than decent record in his limited appearances and deserves a chance.
McLaughlin’s done nothing wrong and is much better at coming for the ball, meaning that the defence doesn’t need to sit on the six yard line.

As I said earlier, if he doesn’t play McLaughlin from Thursday onwards then there really is no point.

McGregor will continue to leak goals.

I see the Record are linking us with Sam Johnstone today. There’s apparently EPL clubs looking at him and given that he’s already on the fringes of the England squad I’d say we have no chance given that he’ll want to be in Southgate’s line of sight for Qatar.

I'm expected to be completely vilified for this post. So before, I just want to say what a great servant McGregor has been for the club, and we were incredibly lucky to have a world class goalkeeper as one of our own.

Since the winter break I think he has cost us between 6 and 9 points.
I've gone with 6, so not to seem too harsh.

Aberdeen - 0 points - Not his fault (although he should have had a penalty against him).
Ross County - 2 points dropped - The first goal is a gift when he drops it for their player to tap in. The late equaliser I still don't know why he doesn't just smother it.
Celtic - 0 points - We probably still lose that game even if he has a blinder.
Dundee Utd - 0 points - I think he should be coming to challenge for a cross into his six yard box, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt as he might be blocked.
Motherwell - 2 points dropped - He should have collected the cross, and shouldn't be beaten with the shot for the equaliser.
Celtic - 2 points dropped - His parry to Rogic was basically an assist, he should be parrying that wide. That gave them an easy way back into the game whilst we were dominant. Again, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for the second goal. I don't want to be too harsh.

If you were to balance out those 6 points, we would currently be top by 2 points.

There was one point yesterday one of their players from their own half played a wild forward pass in hope and McGregor didn’t come out towards the corner flag to clear despite having ages to do so, I honestly couldn’t believe what I was viewing.

I will always hold McGregor in high regard and he made a fantastic one handed save during the game too but although he is capable of special moments his age has caught up with him. Needs to retire and I would like to see McCrorie given a chance shortly.

There was one point yesterday one of their players from their own half played a wild forward pass in hope and McGregor didn’t come out towards the corner flag to clear despite having ages to do so, I honestly couldn’t believe what I was viewing.

I will always hold McGregor in high regard and he made a fantastic one handed save during the game too but although he is capable of special moments his age has caught up with him. Needs to retire and I would like to see McCrorie given a chance shortly.
McCrorie still unbeaten against you know who.

McLaughlin doesn't produce the spectacular saves McGregor does, but we would have dropped fewer points this season with him in goal. He also commands his box better, giving the defence more confidence.

Gio persisting with McGregor signaled that he is a manager who will pick players based on reputation rather than current form/ability.

If you are a player on the fringes of the First XI you must be thinking what is the point.

We've played our biggest rivals 3 times this season and we've kept a clean sheet in only one of those 3 games.

Allan McGregor was not the goalkeeper on that day.

Siegrist is meant to be coming to us ,that's the talk at tannadice . I was talking to a very prominent former players family member from up there today .
I'm so not ITK btw
Seigrist is the worst keeper I have seen in the league this year McLaughlin will be no 1 next season mcrorie no 2 and the German guy no. 3. Anytime mcglauchlin has played I actually feel more comfortable as he can play the ball at his feet and command the 6 yard box. He's a Scottish national keeper FFS no some guy from kirky Rob roy

Jay Hogarth would be better than McGregor right now.

Firmly believe that we would have won the league with our number 2 or number 3 playing the majority of the games.

Once McGregor leaves, I’m relatively relaxed about the position. Might not see the odd Hollywood save, but I refuse to believe we will see as many calamitous howlers.

Leagues done, tell McGregor he can piss about the stands for the next 6 weeks and get McCrorie or McLaughlin playing.
I agree that we would have had the league won if we had used another keeper,also I am sure the central defenders don't like the pressure of having to protect our goal from every high ball just feet from our goal line,Shagger has been immense for us over the years but the days for keepers stuck on their goal line are long gone modern keepers have to be able to come for crosses now.

What does McLaughlin have to do to get a starting berth.
At this moment in time
Is he more commanding in his box .
Is his contribution better.
Do the defence play better in front of him.
Would say yes to all three.
He has never let us down.
Just cannot fathom out how he has not started more.

It’s got so ridiculous that mcgregor could kick the ball into his own net show his arse to the crowd and still start the next game like wtaf I knew when Gio didn’t drop him after county that he was a weak manager it was a big call to make but me and hundreds on here said he will cost us the league and he has

I for one am grateful for everything Allan Mcgregor has done for this club but 3 maybe 4 games have been lost at his hands. Is Mcglaughlin good enough to stand in next season or should we be looking at someone like Benjamin Siegrist.

McCrorie or McLaughlin deserve a chance rest of the season for me, probably more so McLaughlin, never let us down.

Good indication if we need to spend good money on a new number 1 in the summer as money will be tight.

We shouldn't really need a keeper who makes world class saves , one who is competent, is a good communicator and commands his box , McLaughlan has never let us down and deserves the gloves next season he is more than good enough, unfortunately it has been a season too far for Greegs who has been well below the required standard this season and the opposition have exploited his weakness at cross balls .

McGregor is capable of pulling off a world class save one minute, then making a silly mistake that costs us a goal the next minute.

I'm nervous every time we concede a corner or free kick near the goal, we are just really bad at defending them.

McLaughlin won't be no 1 or else he would have been in the side long ago.

There's no way Gio has sat back and watched McGregor chuck them in if he has any intention of giving McLaughlin the no 1 jersey for next season.

McLaughlin has been retained as a no 2.

Which doesn't bode well for McCrorie.

Now is the time to give JM a run. If as we’d hope performs well then it’s a position fixed. Can then look for a solid back up or a new number 1. Why wait. If McGregor stays in the sticks and sells more jerseys then him and GVB can find take their leave.

Without Allan McGregor, we’d be sitting with our dick in our hands, out of Europe and probably on the back of a worse spanking heading into the run in.

He is constantly exposed by horrific defending. He’s not a superhero.

McGregor, Bassey, Lundstrum.

That’s who comes out of yesterday with any credit.

Keep seeing people wanting Siegrest but he makes more than a few mistakes for Dundee United.The spotlight isn't on him so much up there so imagine him at Ibrox when he makes a mistake.Another Theo Snelders imo.
Sam Johnstone at West Brom is a talented keeper as is Dean Henderson at Man Utd who can't get a look in.

Without Allan McGregor, we’d be sitting with our dick in our hands, out of Europe and probably on the back of a worse spanking heading into the run in.

He is constantly exposed by horrific defending. He’s not a superhero.

McGregor, Bassey, Lundstrum.

That’s who comes out of yesterday with any credit.
You are fucking wrong there.

One worry with GVB is his unwillingness to drop McGregor, who aparr from the odd worldy save has been a liability this season

I honestly can't understand why McLaughlin isnt playing - he has done nothing wrong any time he's played

If I was in the recruitment team I’d look for the following things:

• International experience
  • Good passer of the ball and can act as a sweeper to let us play a high line
  • Can confidently come for crosses (punch or catch, I don’t care, so long as he comes and contacts the ball)
  • Has no injury record
Craig Gordan

McCrorie should be in goals until the end of the season for me. Thought he stepped up and impressed at our last OF victory. Let's see some more of him.

I have no confidence in McGregor at all. Sad to say it but cant stand seeing his name on the team sheet anymore. He is finished and should do the right thing and make space for the next generation. Watching him trying to get up like an old man after spilling the "shot" right into path of their striker, killing all the momentum we had was pathetic and symptomatic for our season.

With McLaughlin and McCrorie waiting in line I don't think we have a keeper crisis.

Last edited:
Back