The letter from Rev Stuart MacQuarrie which prompted me to stand for Club 1872

Held off commenting after reading the full OP last night.

I've backed them but that is beyond the pale and genuinely disturbing.
What on earth was the motive behind contacting Castor? I still don't get it.
As for what could only be described as a power grab, I've got my doubts that is legal.

However for those thinking of pulling out please think again.
If it comes to it the membership are not powerless here.

Complaints the Regulator may consider pursuing under formal investigation powers

Circumstances might include:
• Fraud or other criminality.
• Serious mismanagement putting significant assets, or funds, at risk.
• A pattern of conduct involving deliberately misleading or deceiving customers or
creditors.
• Serious breach of directors’ duties to the company or its creditors

I've seen this happen in other volunteer organisations - people get so involved over a long period of time that an element of possession develops, they see the organisation as theirs and resent anyone who tries to interfere with that.
Seen similar myself. I can somewhat understand where they are coming from as they probably want what they see as the best for the organisation. However when they get in over their heads and their only form of argument is to start making things personal, their position becomes untenable.

If I was in Glasgow or even Scotland then I might be interested. However, being 5000 miles away, I don't think it is practical or reasonable. However, I'm more than happy to be a resource for whoever is running the show.
There should be at least 2 members not based in Scotland I retire next month but not based in Scotland only go there for Rangers games but could devote time energy as you and many others could with no real ambition for the delights of the boardroom hospitality but to protect the good Rangers supporters. Using zoom teams skype would allow attendance at meetings. Structure of c1872 requires overhaul completely. Residence in Glasgow/ Scotland should not be an essential requirement. It should be what can I do for the club not what can the club do for me

Held off commenting after reading the full OP last night.

I've backed them but that is beyond the pale and genuinely disturbing.
What on earth was the motive behind contacting Castor? I still don't get it.
As for what could only be described as a power grab, I've got my doubts that is legal.

However for those thinking of pulling out please think again.
If it comes to it the membership are not powerless here.

Complaints the Regulator may consider pursuing under formal investigation powers

Circumstances might include:
• Fraud or other criminality.
• Serious mismanagement putting significant assets, or funds, at risk.
• A pattern of conduct involving deliberately misleading or deceiving customers or
creditors.
• Serious breach of directors’ duties to the company or its creditors
Unless they resign within a few weeks this is the road I am sure someone will go down and request a forensic report on the running of the CIC

There should be at least 2 members not based in Scotland I retire next month but not based in Scotland only go there for Rangers games but could devote time energy as you and many others could with no real ambition for the delights of the boardroom hospitality but to protect the good Rangers supporters. Using zoom teams skype would allow attendance at meetings. Structure of c1872 requires overhaul completely. Residence in Glasgow/ Scotland should not be an essential requirement. It should be what can I do for the club not what can the club do for me
I said this earlier about being abroad should not deter people from helping Club1872 but they must have a skill set or experience as well as being a fan

Fans groups are in a difficult position in Scotland. The idea of fans placing their trust in elected representatives is an alien notion. Football has been a professional undertaking from it's earliest days and there has always been a them and us culture between fans and club owners/boards. It's probably worse amongst the Rangers support given it's predominant political outlook. The idea of a fans trade union doesnt tend to play well with a support that dislikes the idea of unions, collective bargaining and collective action.

That doesnt mean that supporters trusts can't work in Scotland. We've seen examples where they do and where that relationship benefits the club and gives the support a meaningful voice within a club. I've been involved in a supporters trust. I've had responsibility for activities on matchday. I've been part of a smaller group having meetings with club owners. All of those things only worked because fans trusted me and my fellow trust board members to do our jobs representing them and the owners/club board trusted us to maintain confidentiality where necessary and to act professionally at all times.

From that letter Mark posted? It looks like the C1872 board fell short of the standards necessary. The board needs to act within the limits of it's agreed terms of reference and constitution. If the board are permitted to do something then members need to trust them to do it. Those involved also need to recognise the boundaries and to remain within them. For a C1872 board member to unilaterally pursue a course of action that was outside of their role in C1872, was done without the agreement, or even the knowledge, of fellow board members and that had the potential to damage both the organisation and the club to some extent is simply unacceptable. It creates unnecessary division within C1872, damages the relationship between C1872 and the club and destroys any confidence that C1872 members can have in those at the head of their organisation. It undermines the idea of supporters groups being a constructive part of the future of football.

Root and branch reform of C1872 is needed. As a firm believer in supporters representation and collective action, I'd want to see C1872 be a really important part of the football club going forward. Players, managers and even owners come and go but fans remain throughout and as we've seen with the ESL backlash from fans of the English sides involved, sometimes fans need to be able to protect their interests. The German model of 50%+1 may never happen in the UK but fans interests should be protected to a far greater degree. The kind of underhand activity outlined in the letter GMS posted only serves to undermine that. Mark standing for election isnt going to change things overnight but given his experience over the years, his involvement would certainly benefit C1872.

But the group itself needs far more. It needs a complete root and branch reform if it's to avoid the same fate as every other Rangers fan's group since the RST was first formed around 20 years ago. Going forward C1872 could do far worse than engage with it's equivalent in Hamburg to learn what makes German fans groups successful and what the organisation needs to do if it's to have any kind of a future.

I agree, I previously contacted them to suggest there should be a way for members who can’t always travel to take part in or at least hear and see meetings. I didn’t receive a response.

I an also recently retired after a career in corporate governance, risk and audit in the city including advising boards on good practice. I would be happy to get involved advising/helping Club 1872 and have no desire to become a board member etc.

Could all the people who would like to help Club 1872 to succeed please drop me a PM and we can see what we can do to get this back to a proper one member one vote organisation would like to know what professional people would like to get involved, in confidence of course

Is there a maximum term that can be served?
This has been bugging me as I remember looking it to it at the time to make sure it wasn't just going to be the same people in jobs for life. I've just looked through old emails and stuff but can't see any vote to suggest this has changed.

Found an old copy of the constitution online and it says

1. 24.2. Unless otherwise approved by a Special Resolution of the Donating Members, each member of the Board of the Club 1872 Companies shall have to be annually elected to or affirmed in the office of Director following a vote of the Donating Members. Elections shall take place each September in accordance with the procedures set out in Schedule 3. A minimum of one-half of the Directors serving on the Board of the Company must seek re-election each year and no Director shall be permitted to be affirmed as a Director on more than one occasion. The directors appointed shall be those with the highest number of votes based on one vote for each Donating Member. The number of directors to be appointed and/ or affirmed each year shall be seven
I'm guessing they have voted through a change to not have to have a re-election every year, did the thing about no director being permitted to be affirmed as a director on more than one occasion change as well as I think some of the board have been in place since 2016?

Has anyone got an up to date copy of the constitution?

This has been bugging me as I remember looking it to it at the time to make sure it wasn't just going to be the same people in jobs for life. I've just looked through old emails and stuff but can't see any vote to suggest this has changed.

I'm guessing they have voted through a change to not have to have a re-election every year, did the thing about no director being permitted to be affirmed as a director on more than one occasion change as well as I think some of the board have been in place since 2016?

I mentioned this earlier.
The club 1872 membership is passive and don't get involved, they are happy for others to do it and rubber stamp whatever is issued from centre. I'm not being disrespectful, it's a genuine fact.
So it will be very very difficult to make any changes with the way the organisation is setup.

Reactions: SE5

Excellent post.
Agree with this completely.

I mentioned this earlier.
The club 1872 membership is passive and don't get involved, they are happy for others to do it and rubber stamp whatever is issued from centre. I'm not being disrespectful, it's a genuine fact.
So it will be very very difficult to make any changes with the way the organisation is setup.
I can’t find any email for a vote to change that bit in bold though (about re-election). Keen to know when it changed.

Last edited:

It was amended and changes passed ages ago.

I can find any email for a vote to change that bit in bold though (about re-election). Keen to know when it changed.
Cannot remember exactly but I remember it being talked about when I was there which is nearly 3 years ago.
Rest assured that operationally and governance wise they will not have done anything out with the confines of the governing document.
Also would like to point out that the CIC regulator will rarely get involved unless there is rampant borderline criminality, and that will not be the case here.

Reactions: SE5
Fair Enough - so it was setup to make sure this type of thing couldn’t happen, and a change was voted through at somepoint.

When was the change roughly?

edit - just saw you already said you couldn’t remember.

Cannot remember exactly but I remember it being talked about when I was there which is nearly 3 years ago.
Rest assured that operationally and governance wise they will not have done anything out with the confines of the governing document.
Also would like to point out that the CIC regulator will rarely get involved unless there is rampant borderline criminality, and that will not be the case here.
Doesn't need to be criminality, there are other reasons and one IMO is a stick on

It's got about £4million in shares and cash.

So, I wouldn't be for throwing the towel in.

The problem is that they will almost certainly have two hand-picked candidates - whom they will have advised on weeding their social media and double-checked all their proposers.

Those two will then be in a context where The Three are always in a majority and because they have been in place for some time have all the contacts and knowledge to run the organisation. The incumbents are in a very strong position.

It's effectively run as a self-perpetuating clique and will be for at least another year until a fresh set of elections.

I can understand why people are pulling out but I think it would be daft to abandon all those assets.

Stick in and vote them out this year or next.

That certainly needs to happen sooner rather than later by the looks of it.

I was a life member of RST and therefore life member of C1872. Have today cancelled my small monthly subscription until such time C1872 is run professionally.

I was a life member of the RST so same applies to me but fortunately I decided not to make further contributions as I simply couldn't afford it.

I was a life member of the RST so same applies to me but fortunately I decided not to make further contributions as I simply couldn't afford it.

Same here. I had 5,300 shares in the old company which are now worthless. I participated through the RST in the Green capital raise. I have not participated subsequently

That is a shocking read. So instead of acting in the best interests of Rangers and their fans, these arseholes seem intent on damaging Rangers and couldn’t care less about the fans.

Who the hell are they to think they had the right to contact any potential commercial partner and why did they feel that they were in a position to do so?

As far as I’m concerned, they are Trojan horses, they are toxic and do not have the best interests of Rangers or us fans as their priority.

They are acting like Ashley and his cohorts. Get these people to %^*& away from our club.

The Club is safe now. No need to be wasting your cash in Club1872 with no one accountable in their little fiefdom. Give directly to club or via Lotto

Your first sentence is missing a word, as ‘for’ should sit between safe and now!. Who will be the shareholders a decade from now, who knows!

Club 1872 have and are about to go through elections. A cynic might wonder at the timing of the release of Stuart McQuarrie’s letter although the content is particularly worrying.

For me there needs to be a Club1872 both as a significant fan shareholder and potentially as an attack dog where the club are unable to speak/take action. The difficulty is getting the right people who will drive the project forward.

Fan ownership will not work. The op proves it. Far too many people with their own agenda.
We have fan ownership now. C1872 is not aiming to own the club, it is aiming to safeguard the club. That is not something that will 'work' or not, it is a simple aim that requires a simple thing to happen. It is the governance of C1872 itself, not in relation to the club, that is causing an issue today.

The RST achieved little in it's existence. Something I was particularly frustrated by as an early member and vocal supporter.
The RST was in a position of 90% of shares belonged to one person. We did try to warn people that he was leading us down a dangerous path financially but most people didn’t want to hear this message. We did, however, stop the sale and leaseback of Ibrox, constantly defended the fans. We raised £250k in one week just prior to the IPO And supported a lot of charity work.

We have fan ownership now. C1872 is not aiming to own the club, it is aiming to safeguard the club. That is not something that will 'work' or not, it is a simple aim that requires a simple thing to happen. It is the governance of C1872 itself, not in relation to the club, that is causing an issue today.
I believe in the concepts/ideals. Absolutely. In every incarnation, the infighting, public spats and governance have been embarrassing.

They've got one. Why? I can only guess. Certainly his appointment coincided with their breaking off of comms with me despite no chat about it. I presume because I used to live and work in Northern Ireland they assumed I would be in DG's camp. However, at that time I didn't know who he was, had never communicated with him and, because I don't routinely listen to podcasts, I was even unaware he had been on Heart & Hand.
Are H&H still on good terms with Club 1872? I'm sure David has interviewed Laura quite a few times in the past. Would be interesting to know if they have broken off comms with them too.

Glad I stopped payments to this org a long, long time ago.
In the long term it would be a good vehicle for fan participation but organisation has to be correct. Large board fixed terms and regular communication. Alternative is buying club products which leaves the club vulnerable to another tycoon who sees pound signs. We might not be as lucky in the future to have Jardine Brown McCoist and many others to protect us when it hits the fan. We have many enemies for many different reasons. We need to protect our club

Are we aware if the directors of Club 1872 have responded in any way to the information release or it’s implications with respect to their governance?

Basically, the three of them have taken control of Club !872 and do not need to ask any member permission to do what they want.
That's how it reads to me
Thats where I am. Read the whole thing a couple of times.

Not regarding 1872 this is not the first time we've seen things like this.

Maybe I'm being niave but surely it's as simple as you: do not do dick unless it's approved by the members; you certainly don't act off your own back.

I have to say that your condemnation of Alan Fraser is pretty poor. I have known him for a long time, and although we haven’t had any direct dealings for a number of years, I can tell you right now that he is a massive Rangers man and a very decent human being. Whatever his reasons for resigning should be a warning flag that all is not well on that board.

I’ve no idea who Alan Fraser is mate. Plus I’m not talking about any individual.

Think I found it (same email as I referenced above)

The Club 1872 board has also discussed a number of other ideas that could potentially protect and increase the stability of the organisation. In line with our constitution, it is for members to decide whether those changes should be implemented through the adoption of a new Election Schedule.

Does anyone have a copy of the "Election Schedule"?

Think I found it (same email as I referenced above)

Does anyone have a copy of the "Election Schedule"?
This is from the Rules posted on the Companies House website.

BgbErno.png

Are all board members up for election? Including Fawkes and the other two members of the clique?

Back