The Mirror claiming Benetiz to Celtic

I think their board became more conservative as they got closer to the 10IAR. They probably didn't want to rock a supposedly winning formula. I think similar happened to us in our 9. Winning year in year out isn't usually the best way to bring about dynamic change in any business. Complacency usually sets in.
Id agree if it was Lennon from day1 but when you have a manager leave you get the best in you can not some average guy that’s one of you and believes in the cause. Take away what Lennon done with Celtic and the fact he’s a fan - would anyone mention him for the job, absolutely not so why then did the board go for him. A board is there to look beyond and get the best! So it’s why I think it’s odd that they’d now push the boat out when it’s too late and a much greater risk!

I can't see it but it really doesn't matter who it is, they'll have to take over a squad who are unhappy and most of their big players want away.

I could see Benetiz ending up at Wolves they are having a poor season and their owners have got big plans for them and are cash rich even by EPL standards

I can't see it but it really doesn't matter who it is, they'll have to take over a squad who are unhappy and most of their big players want away.
You could probably argue that they would be willing to stay and work under a proven manager.

Not that I think he will go there.

He's at the Red Adair stage of his career, OK for a quick in and out fire fighting role with an established squad.

Not sure he would be up for the long term, total rebuilding project required at the shark tank.

Considerably more than you can convince me he’s a ‘superb manager’, his record is pretty underwhelming when compared to truly ‘superb’ managers.
I never said that he was a superb manager, I simply y posted a list of his achievements

You’ve went from:

“Respected coach, journeyman manager with chequered history of boom, bust and sackings!”

to

“ his record is pretty underwhelming when compared to truly ‘superb’ managers.”

Steven Gerrard:

Comments:
Gerrard about Rafa Benítez: "He helped us individually but he was also massive for the team. He was a top manager".
FourFourTwo, 2013.
In an interview in the latest edition of the official UEFA Champions League magazine, Gerrard insists the pair now have “the perfect relationship.
He says: “Rafa is obsessed with football 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“You have to take your hat off to him. He’s one of the best managers there is.
“Rafa is the type that when you finish a game as man of the match having scored three goals, he won’t even mention it. Instead, he’ll mention that you never used your left foot at a certain point!
“But Rafa does it right. When I need a pat on the back I get it.
“I have had lots of ‘well dones’ from him, but when I need a kick up the backside I get it too.
“He can also make me laugh, but you don’t see that side of him — or me — from the outside.
“We spend a lot of time together on the training ground, travelling to matches and he joins in. We’ve got a great team spirit here and my relationship with him is perfect at the moment.

After Gerrard scored his 100th Liverpool goal in the 3-1 Champions League victory over PSV Eindhoven in October, Benitez described his captain as “the best midfielder in the world.

Gerrard in his book: My Autobiography
Henry Winter

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has hailed Rafa Benitez as an "outstanding" manager, lauding the Spaniard's "clever" handling of Jose Mourinho's mind games and his "tactical masterstrokes" against Chelsea and Barcelona in Europe.

One of the performances of last season came at the Nou Camp on Feb 21, 2007, when Liverpool tore into the then European champions. "Rafa's game plan was to shock Barcelona," Gerrard writes in the paperback update of his autobiography out next week. "Barcelona felt Liverpool would be really negative. Rafa did the opposite."

Benitez's command to his players was simple: "Go for the jugular." The Liverpool manager ordered his team to attack Barcelona down the flanks, and use Bellamy's pace to embarrass the hosts' centre-backs, Carles Puyol and Rafael Marquez. Bellamy and Riise both scored in a famous victory.

I’ll leave it there.

I never said that he was a superb manager, I simply y posted a list of his achievements

You’ve went from:

“Respected coach, journeyman manager with chequered history of boom, bust and sackings!”

to

“ his record is pretty underwhelming when compared to truly ‘superb’ managers.”

Steven Gerrard:

Comments:
Gerrard about Rafa Benítez: "He helped us individually but he was also massive for the team. He was a top manager".
FourFourTwo, 2013.
In an interview in the latest edition of the official UEFA Champions League magazine, Gerrard insists the pair now have “the perfect relationship.
He says: “Rafa is obsessed with football 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“You have to take your hat off to him. He’s one of the best managers there is.
“Rafa is the type that when you finish a game as man of the match having scored three goals, he won’t even mention it. Instead, he’ll mention that you never used your left foot at a certain point!
“But Rafa does it right. When I need a pat on the back I get it.
“I have had lots of ‘well dones’ from him, but when I need a kick up the backside I get it too.
“He can also make me laugh, but you don’t see that side of him — or me — from the outside.
“We spend a lot of time together on the training ground, travelling to matches and he joins in. We’ve got a great team spirit here and my relationship with him is perfect at the moment.

After Gerrard scored his 100th Liverpool goal in the 3-1 Champions League victory over PSV Eindhoven in October, Benitez described his captain as “the best midfielder in the world.

Gerrard in his book: My Autobiography
Henry Winter

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has hailed Rafa Benitez as an "outstanding" manager, lauding the Spaniard's "clever" handling of Jose Mourinho's mind games and his "tactical masterstrokes" against Chelsea and Barcelona in Europe.

One of the performances of last season came at the Nou Camp on Feb 21, 2007, when Liverpool tore into the then European champions. "Rafa's game plan was to shock Barcelona," Gerrard writes in the paperback update of his autobiography out next week. "Barcelona felt Liverpool would be really negative. Rafa did the opposite."

Benitez's command to his players was simple: "Go for the jugular." The Liverpool manager ordered his team to attack Barcelona down the flanks, and use Bellamy's pace to embarrass the hosts' centre-backs, Carles Puyol and Rafael Marquez. Bellamy and Riise both scored in a famous victory.

I’ll leave it there.

I haven’t gone from anything to anything, he’s a decent coach (tactically) his overall record as a manager is, no matter what way you look at it, quite underwhelming not to mention unsustained and sporadic in the frequency of his successes.

There were a number on this thread describing him as a ‘superb’ manager, I just don’t see it and therefore disagree. So what, SG rated him at Liverpool, that was a long time ago, he has done very little of note since.

I haven’t gone from anything to anything, he’s a decent coach (tactically) his overall record as a manager is no matter what way you look at it, quite underwhelming not to mention unsustained and sporadic in the frequency of his successes.

There were a number on this thread describing him as a ‘superb’ manager, I just don’t see it and therefore disagree. So what, SG rated him at Liverpool, that was a long time ago, he has done very little of note since.

I just quoted you.

He’s now went to “ a decent coach (tactically) his overall record as a manager is no matter what way you look at it, quite underwhelming “

This whole diatribe has evolved from you responding to my post highlighting:

2 uefa cup wins

2 la Liga titles

a UCL

and I’d add some pretty impressive work st basket case Newcastle etc.

142503923_2990633474492132_4987936948511862591_n.jpg

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if they managed to get him in. however anyone suggesting he lacks credentials is just being pathetic. If they managed to get him in I would be worried because a have no doubt he would improve them dramatically, far superior tactically and would attract a far higher calibre of player and would be a sign of intent by their board.

Again don’t see it happening

I just quoted you.

He’s now went to “ a decent coach (tactically) his overall record as a manager is no matter what way you look at it, quite underwhelming “

This whole diatribe has evolved from you responding to my post highlighting:

2 uefa cup wins

2 la Liga titles

a UCL

and I’d add some pretty impressive work st basket case Newcastle etc.
I am emphasising that he has more credit as a tactician (coach) than success as an overarching manager of a club. For the many describing him as a ‘superb’ manager, his achievements don’t back that up.

it’s all about opinions and we are not going to agree, therefore let’s waste no more time on a guy who is not going anywhere near the filth.

I would imagine Benitez will be furious and disgusted by any connection with the paedo harbourers , just like any other same person.
The idiot Tim will be hoodwinked once again by the fat Japanese.

Whats there to be denial about him he might be a good manager but he will need a lot of money to beat our team
They are in denial he is a good manager .
I don't know who they will sell and for how much. Maybe a complete overhaul.
He would be a good start in my view.

They are in denial he is a good manager .
I don't know who they will sell and for how much. Maybe a complete overhaul.
He would be a good start in my view.
I think he's a good Manager and would be a decent bit of business for them. However, he won't come cheap. The more they spend on a new Manager and associated backroom staff the less they have to invest in the team. If they really are going for that level of Manager - which I highly doubt by the way - then the only way they can have that plus a revamped team is if Dodgy Dermott dips his hand in his pocket. That's virtually unheard of. Maybe he will fund a slice of a new Manager's salary but that would still leave them short of cash for players - even after a fire sale.

Watch out for the ' replacing Lennon' pish coming from that mob very shortly.

He could maybe come and take over our reserve team...note I said could and maybe!!

IF HE IS GOING TO THEM, then he's gettin a major backhander
from Fritzel.

Benitez is a mercenary and will go to whichever club is prepared to pay for him. He literally does not give a fuck. If dirty desmond decides to throw millions at it because his pride has been dented again, just like he did with the Rodgers scenario, then benitez is absolutely without question an option for them

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if they managed to get him in. however anyone suggesting he lacks credentials is just being pathetic. If they managed to get him in I would be worried because a have no doubt he would improve them dramatically, far superior tactically and would attract a far higher calibre of player and would be a sign of intent by their board.

Again don’t see it happening
There is more chance of me taking the Sellick job than Rafa Benitez. The whole idea is laughable.

How many times do the nedia put out stories about them signing big name players/managers and it never happens we will need to wait and see but they have been reluctant to spend when it really matters.

There is more chance of me taking the Sellick job than Rafa Benitez. The whole idea is laughable.
He would take it if they were prepared to pony up millions, as he is a money driven bastard.

Celtic are highly, highly unlikely to dig deep to fund his salary, to fund a transfer budget in the tens of millions, and to also allow him full control.

never did i say i thought it would happen. but it is not outside the realms of possibility, and thus could happen. his recent jobs have included newcastle where he spent a season in the championship, before fucking off to the managerial graveyard that is china. not sure why people think he is this platinum grade manager when he's done %^*& all in the game since winning the europa league with chelsea in 2013 before being told he wasn't having his contract extended and he was replaced by Mourinho.

i was a ST holder at the bridge during his tenure and he made some baffling decisions during that time. i dont rate him.

Amazing what he did at Valencia in 03/04 - would possibly have won the Champs League had they have been in it. After this they were 6 points off the lead in Feb, one of the worst pens I have ever seen given - did well to pick them up and do so well after it, ended up winning it by 6 points odd:

Long time ago now mind that season.

Back