The new goal kick rule

Boab4

Your own player can be in the box to receive a pass.

How stupid is this when 2 players stand in the box, try to pass it about and it gets taken off them and a goal scored.

It's happened so many times already yet everyone seems to keep doing it.

Punt it up the park!

Boab, the reason why us Jocks are so pish is this very mentality of “get it up the park” and “get wired in”.

These elite teams are trying to draw opponents in so they can overload further up the park.

Granted, sometimes it doesn’t work but the key is to know that there is a time and a place.

It's to encourage building play from the back and is a decent rule change. I like it.
So do I and the simple solution to avoiding the ball getting taken off the defender is don't pass to him if there's an opposition player likely to challenge him.
Same rules that would apply if the defender had to receive the ball outside the box.
Speeds the game up too so it's a winner for me!

So do I and the simple solution to avoiding the ball getting taken off the defender is don't pass to him if there's an opposition player likely to challenge him.
Same rules that would apply if the defender had to receive the ball outside the box.
Speeds the game up too so it's a winner for me!
Exactly

That goal Arsenal gave away today was comical and absolute lunacy that they tried it.
Build from the back aye, but there’s a time and a place.

It’s a good rule but goals like today are the risk teams take.

Boab, the reason why us Jocks are so pish is this very mentality of “get it up the park” and “get wired in”.

These elite teams are trying to draw opponents in so they can overload further up the park.

Granted, sometimes it doesn’t work but the key is to know that there is a time and a place.

Aye I get that, but watching the man city game then the arsenal game today, if you have players waiting on the edge of the box to challenge your defenders then it's suicide.

That goal Arsenal gave away today was comical and absolute lunacy that they tried it.

Almost exactly the same thing happened with Man City on Saturday and that was outside the box.

In other words " box clever ".....?

Aye I get that, but watching the man city game then the arsenal game today, if you have players waiting on the edge of the box to challenge your defenders then it's suicide.

And what if, they’ve played a blinder, and thinned our the midfield for the keeper to just punt it over the attackers waiting on the 18 yard box?

Didn't we, in an earlier game this season, (perhaps one of the friendlies) see McGregor chip it up for Tav to head it back into his arms, or am I imagining things again?

I'd gonna suggest that using an example from English football (If it is the Arsenal game today that provoked this) of what is generally considered horrific defending that costs goals from a goal kick isn't the best example to jump on to show "jocks" are pish.

How stupid is this when 2 players stand in the box, try to pass it about and it gets taken off them and a goal scored.

Punt it up the park!

Can I ask what’s the difference if you just punt it up the park and the opposing team gets the ball runs up and scores, compared to what your complaining about.

It’s effectively a riskier move to just punt and hope that a team mate can win it. Your guaranteed to keep possession with the short pass and if your unlucky to get caught out like arsenal then is bad luck/choice of play.

Like Man City?

Interesting change to the rules, some quality sides will use it to their advantage.
Man City made a right cvnt of it yesterday!

Can I ask what’s the difference if you just punt it up the park and the opposing team gets the ball runs up and scores, compared to what your complaining about.

It’s effectively a riskier move to just punt and hope that a team mate can win it. Your guaranteed to keep possession with the short pass and if your unlucky to get caught out like arsenal then is bad luck/choice of play.

My main gripe with it is if the attacking team are putting the defenders under pressure then surely it's not a wise move giving them it.

There's a far less chance of losing a goal from the opposition's half than there is from your own box.

From a Rangers point of view, if the opposition is not pressing at the bye kick, then there is no problem passing the ball to Katic, Goldson etc if they are within our penalty box assuming the full backs give them an option to pass. If the opposition have a player or players just outside our penalty box, McGregor needs to kick it long.

What if you were trying to kill time could the goalie tap the ball a few feet and just leave the ball where it is because obviously the opposition players cant touch it

An easy game complicated by idiot's. FIFA and players at this point! It obviously invites pressure and I'm amazed that teams don't carry on as 'normal' with the previous rule. If you wouldn't give it to a player just outside the box, why would you even consider the pass inside the box??
As I say, complicated by idiots

I think its a good rule should speed the game up, as for playing out from the back its fine if you have the players to do it, don't give the ball to players in tight situations when they are being pressed if they aren't good enough to handle it

From a Rangers point of view, if the opposition is not pressing at the bye kick, then there is no problem passing the ball to Katic, Goldson etc if they are within our penalty box assuming the full backs give them an option to pass. If the opposition have a player or players just outside our penalty box, McGregor needs to kick it long.

But we’ve all been moaning about teams setting up with 10/11 men behind the ball, if they move up the park to press the defenders when the keeper has it then we should be able to take 3/4 of the opposition out the game in a couple of passes.

Correct. The worst thing about Arsenal was they had practiced making an arse of it 2-3 times before they finally screwed up. What sort of coach encourages their team to continually make the same mistake until it cocos them a goal? Moronic.

But we’ve all been moaning about teams setting up with 10/11 men behind the ball, if they move up the park to press the defenders when the keeper has it then we should be able to take 3/4 of the opposition out the game in a couple of passes.
Or kick it over the top of them in the unlikely event 3 or 4 are pressing high to allow us to counterattack.

Aye I'm a neanderthal for not wanting my goalkeeper and defender to put the team in danger at every goal kick. Well done you.
Well, that’s not what I posted nor is it what I implied.
You can tell by reading the bit I emboldened.

I am quite happy with it to be honest.

If it draws teams out against us it can only be a good thing. Not seen us get caught out by it yet.

It like to see how many times the ball has been played out to the centre halves and how many times it has resulted in a goal from a mistake.

As usual with football fans, they'll focus on the one time it goes wrong and ignore the other times it works.

It like to see how many times the ball has been played out to the centre halves and how many times it has resulted in a goal from a mistake.

As usual with football fans, they'll focus on the one time it goes wrong and ignore the other times it works.

And how many times you win the 1st AND 2nd ball from a punt up the park, can’t be that often.

I’m bit old school and think they’ve mucked about with the rules to much but do like this on. It’s gets game going quicker and with the pace we have could suit us .

I quite like it, gets the ball out the keepers hands quicker and back to the game.

Though I do think you need to go back to basics if you are getting pressed so much like City on Saturday. It was only a matter of time until they got themselves in to trouble.

Punt it up the park!

Dad, you never told me you were on FF!

I think the problem is that defenders aren’t used to it and are being pressed 10yds closer to their goal. If I was a mgr I would stick to them getting the ball at the edge of the box.

We fell foul to short goal kicks going wrong quite a bit when Pedro was manager. Teams sussed that they just needed to press higher and we'd give them the ball. The one time we went old school and stuck it on Joe Garner's head from goal kicks, it worked perfectly.

Aye great idea..punt it up the park to nae cnut and give away procession.Brilliant!
Dont seem to remember us losing a goal from a goal kick and giving it away.This post is why Scotland are shite.

It’s a brilliant rule.
We can now draw teams out a bit rather than watch McGregor lump the ball at Tav every time. We can’t play a long goal kick because we have a goalie who has never learned to kick (ridiculous really) and our front line is dwarfed by the defences in Scotland so we are hoping for scraps lumping it forward.

What if you were trying to kill time could the goalie tap the ball a few feet and just leave the ball where it is because obviously the opposition players cant touch it
No, I think the ball isn't fully back in play until someone else touches it, so it would just be deemed timewasting and you'd get booked.

Back