The Nikola Katic Rangers masterplan as Steven Gerrard details why defender doesn't always play

BlueMeanie

The Ibrox fan favourite signed has signed a new deal and his manager is determined to keep him at the club for the long haul.

Steven Gerrard has detailed his long-term plan for Nikola Katic after the defender signed a new contract.
The Rangers boss rates the Croatian defender as a vital component of his Ibrox project as he urged him to keep improving.
Katic has, at times, flitted in and out of Gerrard 's side but the manager insists he only wants to protect the 23-year-old.
He's touted the centre-back as a potential leader in future seasons after he committed his future to the club until 2023.
Gerrard said: "I am delighted for him; first and foremost I think he deserves it, he is a player who comes in here on a daily basis and he tries to improve every day.

“He does everything to perfection really in terms of his preparation and I think that comes out in his performances.

“He is certainly someone who will put his body on the line for this club and he has certainly earned the contract extension.
“The message to Niko now is that this is the start again, you reset yourself and you go again and keep trying to play at that consistent level because he has become a fans favourite.

“He has got the utmost respect from my staff and myself. He is a player who we have done all we can to try and help grow and shape and we will continue to do that."
Gerrard insists Katic is perfectly suited to the rough and tumble of the Scottish Premiership , although concedes he's not yet the finished article.
He wants the former Slaven Belupo youngster to remain in Glasgow for the long haul and believes it's the perfect place for him to grow.

Gerrard added: "I think he certainly suits the league, there's certainly parts of his game we need to polish up and improve on.
"But if you look at the basics, what you need to be a centre-half in this league. You need to be able to handle yourself in both boxes, be physical and compete.
"And you need to be mobile. All the main things are there for Niko, we just need to continue to polish and shape his game.
"He's been a regular for me, he's been out the team at times just to protect him because of his age - in centre-half terms he's still young.

"But he's a fantastic asset for the club and he's got a major part to play in what we're trying to do here.
"I think we've just shown everyone that with the contract, not just in terms of its length but also rewarding him in the contract as well.
"We won't keep anyone here who we don't think has a major part to play so we've got big plans for Niko, we want him here for many, many years.
"He's a potential leader in the long run. If he keeps finding his voice he'll continue to come out of his shell as well.
"There's still potential there that we need to unlock but he's in a fantastic place and we're delighted with him."

Sounds to me like Gerrard is developing Niko in the right way to get the very best out of him in the long run.

He's a good man manager. He always adds a challenge when he praises his players. Doesn't talk them down or too 'up'.

“He is certainly someone who will put his body on the line for this club and he has certainly earned the contract extension.
“The message to Niko now is that this is the start again, you reset yourself and you go again and keep trying to play at that consistent level because he has become a fans favourite.

I still think he doesn't get nearly enough starts. His partnership with Goldson needs them to play together in order to develop and get stronger. I think they are the best two out of four very good central defenders we have at the club right now. Helandar is still finding his feet in Scotland and can look shaky at times therefore Edmunson would be my back up. You can't let transfer fees dictate who you play. You should always try to play your best 11 imho, certainly in the bigger games, however for some reason these are the games Gerrard seems to drop Katic. I think that's what baffles most fans.

2 minutes into the game on Sunday, if the big man plays, he'll be the worst prospect in the SPFL.
Courtesy of the match thread, which thankfully, I avoid like the plague.

In all seriousness I'm delighted for the big fella who by all accounts is a dedicated professional.
I expect the big man to play on Sunday FB and I fancy him to score. He’s our big mentalist, love him.

Posted on another thread a wee daydream that I had today when I heard the news about Katic. Picture the scene....

... a sunny afternoon, your at your work surrounded by your colleagues and your Gaffer is one of the greatest players in world football. He gathers everyone in a circle with you and him in the middle and he announces to the assembled team:

and congratulations to Niko in receiving a bumper new Rangers contract extension... followed by a round of applause.

Fúck me. Katic would have to be soulless and made of stone if his heart wasn't bursting with pride at that very moment.

Be a legend Niko.

Really happy for Katic this lets everyone know what's happening I love the way he has developed as a player so far and there's still a lot more to come

Why odd??
We've 4 decent centre backs who'll all be needed concerning the schedule of games, plus you have to remember, he's still a young lad.

Playing the young lad card doesn't always make a lot of sense when he's clearly been the best we've seen in that role all season and he's young and fit enough to cope with the demands of regular football.

I almost get the impression that Gerrard is surprised himself by how good he's been and feels that, given he spent a considerable sum on Helander and Edmundson, he has to be seen to be playing them.

It also doesn't explain why Goldson is deemed the undroppable one of the centre halves.

He still doesn’t deserve to be dropped when he’s the best performing defender in the side, so a new deal doesn’t exactly change that. But glad he got his new contract and glad he’s got some sort of future with us.
Although i find it odd sometimes he goes from 1st XI to not even on the bench, somehow i think Niko isn't upset or put off by that. reading between the lines Gerrard and Katic must have discussed this and both parties are reasonably happy with what they have going on.

Playing the young lad card doesn't always make a lot of sense when he's clearly been the best we've seen in that role all season and he's young and fit enough to cope with the demands of regular football.

I almost get the impression that Gerrard is surprised himself by how good he's been and feels that, given he spent a considerable sum on Helander and Edmundson, he has to be seen to be playing them.

It also doesn't explain why Goldson is deemed the undroppable one of the centre halves.

I always think that we under estimate the leadership role that perhaps comes with being a centre halve and that Katic is being managed correctly so we don't ruin him whilst he's young. He's developing at a very good rate.

Fair enough.

I personally think Edmundson could be the best of the lot eventually but hopefully all 4 when called upon can make a valuable contribution to our team and I'm sure they will.

Although i find it odd sometimes he goes from 1st XI to not even on the bench, somehow i think Niko isn't upset or put off by that. reading between the lines Gerrard and Katic must have discussed this and both parties are reasonably happy with what they have going on.

I hope so. I worried it would damage his confidence, I thought when he was axed last season and got given another go he looked a bag of nerves.

Given the contract though, you’d have to assume Gerrard will have discussed it with the player and reassured him, in which case, happy days.

I hope so. I worried it would damage his confidence, I thought when he was axed last season and got given another go he looked a bag of nerves.

Given the contract though, you’d have to assume Gerrard will have discussed it with the player and reassured him, in which case, happy days.
in the past we would get a good player and they would play every game of the season. very soon, after a couple bad results, their confidence would be shattered. now young players can come in and out the side and be allowed to dip in form without it being a crisis. Katic always looks very thankful to be at Rangers too.

The leaks have been plugged and it’s open season on ‘1001’ ways to try and %^*& Rangers, ie make up poisonous destructive stories constantly.
Worst thing is mate, they originate on here
i don't remember any "poisonous" stories? it was rumoured he was home sick / family issues. i am pretty sure fairly recently both Gerrard and Katic discussed this in articles/press conferences? not everything is a media conspiracy. i also vaguely remember rumours of goldson and katic having heated words (after a defeat?)

Gerrard sees Goldson as our most consistent central defender and I would agree with that.

However, in the not too distant future it may well be Niko and this new deal allows him to develop at the right pace, under our coaching staff and gives him the security he deserves.

i don't remember any "poisonous" stories? it was rumoured he was home sick / family issues. i am pretty sure fairly recently both Gerrard and Katic discussed this in articles/press conferences? not everything is a media conspiracy. i also vaguely remember rumours of goldson and katic having heated words (after a defeat?)
Plenty on here thought it was so inconceivable that NK could be rotated out of the side that there must have been a fall out behind the scenes and they just decided to go with it. This was in spite of the fact it was common knowledge he was negotiating a new contract.

So much for a falling out. Gerrard knows exactly what he's doing and doesn't want to run Katic into the ground playing every minute of every game. He is a great player but still young and learning. Really glad hes got a new contract as it's deserved!

Still a bit of an odd one. You play your best players and whoever is on form. Niko fulfils both that criteria and should be playing every week.

I’m with you on that.

Goldson has had more high profile mistakes and he doesn’t get dropped to protect himself. I also don’t see what age has to do with it. If your good enough, age shouldn’t come into it.

Great to see such sound management, but I hope he plays on Sunday, we need him against the big Hertz forward, whose name I can’t spell. :))

He still doesn’t deserve to be dropped when he’s the best performing defender in the side, so a new deal doesn’t exactly change that. But glad he got his new contract and glad he’s got some sort of future with us.
Yup

I fail to see how katic is being managed the right way aswell. The best way to learn is being put into a football game, not in training where it's "easier". Yet katic is pushed out the squad so many times when he doesn't deserve to be. Yes katic has a long way to go and a lot to learn but he's not so far behind that he should be getting dropped constantly imo

Yes he's young but he's good enough and was probably our best and most reliable CB over the past while. He could be 17 but if he's pulling performances like that then get him in the team. Age is irrelevant if your good enough.

Why odd??
We've 4 decent centre backs who'll all be needed concerning the schedule of games, plus you have to remember, he's still a young lad.
Agreed, we hear the term game management constantly. For me this is player management which for me is more important at this stage of Nikos career

Goldson has had lapses but he's one of our best defenders on his day.

He’a keeping Niko hungry. I like it. And you can tell Niko wants more. He reminds me strikingly of Vidic in the way he plays and moves.

I watched the Katic interview on Rangers TV and he is clearly very happy at Rangers which is testament to SG's outstanding man management. SG knows how to get the best out of players by taking a personal interest in them as individuals.

Going home after the Hamilton game I stuck radio Snyde on for the phone in as we’d gone top. Anyway Dalziel of all people pointed out something about Katic that stuck with me. Although he wasn’t playing he was on the park after the game for the warm down and Dalziel said he was giving it 100% and really grafting. It was so noticeable as it’s something that’s very rare to see during a warm down, especially from players who weren’t involved in the game. The boys attitude is perfect.

Gerrard sees Goldson as our most consistent central defender and I would agree with that.

However, in the not too distant future it may well be Niko and this new deal allows him to develop at the right pace, under our coaching staff and gives him the security he deserves.

Not a chance Goldson has been more consistent than Katic this season.

Talk of developing at the right pace doesn't do justice to his age and stage. 23 isn't 18. He's old enough and good enough to play in a position in which Rangers players before him were occupying at that age. Morelos is literally the same age.

Still a bit of an odd one. You play your best players and whoever is on form. Niko fulfils both that criteria and should be playing every week.
This for me. Gerrard obviously thinks Niko has discrepancies in his game and needs a bit of work and I respect that.
But when you watch him stroll through games while Goldson’s having the odd calamity beside him yet only one of them ever gets dropped, it’s quite baffling.
I don’t buy into the “he’s 22 and needs protected” patter either personally.
Look at Kieran Tierney at the same age.

Back