The offside decision last night

muttley

At the time it looked a shocker of a decision by the official. A second goal could have set us up nicely for the rest of the game. Was it the right decision and did Pedro say anything post-match ?

22448657_884956868352775_1695250169505249124_n.jpg

It is offside if a player moves towards the ball, with the intention of playing it and it could be argued that is why the linesman flagged. However, guidance has been given to allow play to continue in order to make sure of a players intent to play the ball (or interfere with an opponent). So the linesman should have waited a few seconds and allowed play to continue, as Morelos was onside and Pena didn't get close to the ball.

It is offside if a player moves towards the ball, with the intention of playing it and it could be argued that is why the linesman flagged. However, guidance has been given to allow play to continue in order to make sure of a players intent to play the ball (or interfere with an opponent). So the linesman should have waited a few seconds and allowed play to continue, as Morelos was onside and Pena didn't get close to the ball.

I think it was a clear case of the linesman not waiting long enough and getting it wrong. It’s not as if it was in the box and all the players were close together the linesman had plenty of time to wait. Almost as bad a decision as the Dorrans booking.

Watching on tv it looked a right decision as Pena moved towards the ball. Pedro didnt mention it

Did Pena not put his hands up right away to show he knew he was offside but not interfering with play?

The kind of decision that would never have happened going the other way.

You could tell from behind the goal that Candieas was onside and Pena didn't move towards the ball. Usual incompetence.

Is there a picture which shows the defender at right back position? I thought at the time he was playing him onside?

The player that gets the ball has to be the one that is deemed to be offside. Hence the delay in the flag going up. If Pena had touched or been in the line of the ball being played forward then he could be the intended recipient and he would have been correctly called offside.

pena was miles away from the ball and starts walking back up the park with his hands up to show he is not interfering with play when he flagged for offside. another bad decision.

In terms of the rules there are two that apply here:
1) Interfering with play - For this to be the case he has to touch the ball and he didn't

2) Interfering with an opponent. This means any of the following
(i) preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by
clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
(ii) challenging an opponent for the ball or
(iii) clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action
impacts on an opponent or
(iv) making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an
opponent to play the ball

He didn't do any of the above, and even moving towards the ball wouldn't be enough for it to be offside. It takes more than that

Wrong decisions, simple as that, also some of the bookings handed out to our players were quite frankly ridiculous.

I thought Pena got in the way of one of the SJ defenders so it could be argued he was interfering with play.

Daft rule and it would be much clearer if offside only applied to the receiver of a pass

Amazing some of the posters on here stuck in the 90s.

Not often you will see an assistant flagging for such an incident. He was wrong last night.

Interestingly enough he was also wrong when he kept his flag down for a St Johnstone attack that was clearly offside.

2 offside decisions by assistant, both wrong, both went against us.

Linesman flagged too early, at first it looks like Pena is heading for the ball. Wrong decision which in isolation wouldn't make me think twice, but given the sheer volume of decisions against us this season already, it needs highlighted

Always amazes me how many people's interpretations of the rules are based on commentators pish rather than the actual rules of the game

To me that's understandable, what isn't though is commentators not knowing the rules. I'm sick of hearing these guys being paid handsomely to talk about a sport they don't even know the rules of. It's ridiculous, and that's without even going into the "insight" they provide..

I've only seen it the once but I thought it was harsh at the time although Pena did initially move towards the ball as if to play it and it looked like the defenders hesitated because of this. I know they should play to the whistle but the flag going up quickly caused a slight hesitation and the referee reacted to all that. I'm not defending the officials nor am I saying the decision was correct.

Amazed any one of us are trying to justify the decision.

The only fortunate aspect is it didn't affect the result in the end.

Amazed any one of us are trying to justify the decision.

The only fortunate aspect is it didn't affect the result in the end.

Why the suprize - a lot on here are only happy having a go at Rangers. People don't know the laws which doesn't help. FFS Even after the laws were pasted someone claims Pena impeded a St J player.

Always amazes me how many people's interpretations of the rules are based on commentators pish rather than the actual rules of the game

It's depressing how few commentators - especially of the ex-player variety - know the laws of the game. This applies down south as well. You'd think a professional football player would need to know what the laws of the game are.

Why the suprize - a lot on here are only happy having a go at Rangers. People don't know the laws which doesn't help. FFS Even after the laws were pasted someone claims Pena impeded a St J player.

You're surprised at my surprise :)

An incredible decision. One of the most clear cut poor decisions this season

Similar happened in the Hearts game at Ibrox.
That our player, Windass(?), interfered with play was, for me, a bizarre suggestion.

Posted this on Julescotia's video thread:

When we didn't get the advantage from the linesman when Daniel burst through did the linesman realise he had made a mistake and tried to say there was a tug on the shirt (an invisible one of course)?

Watching on tv it looked a right decision as Pena moved towards the ball. Pedro didnt mention it
You're only offside when you touch the ball...

That is why decent officials wait until this happens to put the flag up and people crack up because he takes so long to do this.

There was a player in the right back position keeping Pena onside. Butcher said he didn't count or some shit like that and the decision was correct.. MORON!

Moron doesn't cover it

Butcher is an ersehole of the highest. No one should even consider what he says as correct.

Just to add one final thing to this to clear up the idea that Pena moving towards the ball makes it offside, if Pena does run towards it and someone fouls him it's a free kick to Rangers. That in itself should show that running towards the ball isn't enough to make it offside

Nearly dislocated his shoulder in his desperation to flag.
A truly awful decision yet again.

Back