The Royal court of Rangers , history debate.

Manfromdelmonte

So here's the scenario as we put our case to (The Royal court of Rangers) so that you the loyal subjects can add your views to the debate. Picture this , we are having a one off virtual black tie dinner to inaugurate twelve Rangers LEGENDS into the most exclusive club open to our former players just twelve.
So here's the catch its twelve seats and we only have twelve places so we can only therefore have twelve legends from over 150 years of football its almost impossible yet - in fact probably but hey were going to give this a try. There will also be a 120 seated guests at this mythical event and they will all be Rangers GREATS, members of the clubs hall of fame and the players who didn't quite make the cut for this exclusive club.
So who makes the top table and why?

Authors Jeff Holmes and David Herd will put together there choice of elite Rangers , debate them and justify why they make this illustrious mythical top table of all time Rangers LEGENDS.

Filming began today and we will be producing this fascinating debate and presentation on film only on www.gerstv.co.uk soon.

We would invite you to give us your own selection if indeed you can and we will have some fun over the coming weeks in this fascinating topic.
the Gers TV

So here's the scenario as we put our case to (The Royal court of Rangers) so that you the loyal subjects can add your views to the debate. Picture this , we are having a one off virtual black tie dinner to inaugurate twelve Rangers LEGENDS into the most exclusive club open to our former players just twelve.
So here's the catch its twelve seats and we only have twelve places so we can only therefore have twelve legends from over 150 years of football its almost impossible yet - in fact probably but hey were going to give this a try. There will also be a 120 seated guests at this mythical event and they will all be Rangers GREATS, members of the clubs hall of fame and the players who didn't quite make the cut for this exclusive club.
So who makes the top table and why?

Authors Jeff Holmes and David Herd will put together there choice of elite Rangers , debate them and justify why they make this illustrious mythical top table of all time Rangers LEGENDS.

Filming began today and we will be producing this fascinating debate and presentation on film only on www.gerstv.co.uk soon.

We would invite you to give us your own selection if indeed you can and we will have some fun over the coming weeks in this fascinating topic.
the Gers TV

Hola, Hola.

Manfrom, I believe the word legend is bandied about too easily, especially on this forum.

We then get needing to give a time period as a criteria. Stuff and nonsense. The two best Rangers footballers of the last 64 years, are Baxter and Laudrup. Both gave us four years service.

Anyway, legends?

I'd imagine the four gallant pioneers qualify. Add in the fifth Beatle, Tom Vallance.

Neily Gibson must be in with a shout. As does Alec Smith, 21 years a Ranger.

Apparently a John 'Kitey' McPherson was voted the best Rangers player in our first 50 years?

The 1920s? Three standouts. Morton. Meiklejohn and McPhail.

The 30s? It was an all powerful side(s) overall, but no one stands out, which might be unfair.

The 40s becomes problematic.

Definitely George Young, Willie Woodburnn and Willie Waddell.

But you could add in Sammy Cox and Willie Thornton (the only Rangers player to score a hat trick in three decades) and Tiger Shaw.

The 50s? No one really stands out.

The 60s? Well that's easy. Baxter, Greig and possibly McKinnon, who played the most for Rangers in the decade.

The 70s? DJ and Coop.

The 80s? That's a hard one. Absolute guff and then turned around. However, I have to make a special mention of Ian Durrant. He was heading for the straosphere.

The 90s? Laudrup is a legend. I don't think Gazza was, even though I loved him, but didn't dye my hair. :)

Former players rules out Struth and Smith who would have been in there for sure.

McCoist obviously has to be there given his goal scoring exploits and general long service as player, assistant and manager.

Greig also has to be in there for pretty much obvious reasons.

The final 10 places could be just about any combination you like.

Sounds brilliant tbh and will spark lots of debate.

Andy Goram. The greatest keeper I’ve seen at Ibrox. And we’ve had some great keepers in the last 40 years.

Hola, Hola.

Manfrom, I believe the word legend is bandied about too easily, especially on this forum.

We then get needing to give a time period as a criteria. Stuff and nonsense. The two best Rangers footballers of the last 64 years, are Baxter and Laudrup. Both gave us four years service.

Anyway, legends?

I'd imagine the four gallant pioneers qualify. Add in the fifth Beatle, Tom Vallance.

Apparently a John 'Kitey' McPherson was voted the best Rangers player in our first 50 years?

The 30s? It was an all powerful side(s) overall, but no one stands out, which might be unfair.

But you could add in Sammy Cox and Willie Thornton (the only Rangers player to score a hat trick in three decades) and Tiger Shaw.

The 60s? Well that's easy. Baxter, Greig and possibly McKinnon, who played the most for Rangers in the decade.

The 70s? DJ and Coop.

The 80s? That's a hard one. Absolute guff and then turned around. However, I have to make a special mention of Ian Durrant. He was heading for the straosphere.

The 90s? Laudrup is a legend. I don't think Gazza was, even though I loved him, but didn't dye my hair.
It's good to talk

Jeff Holmes completed his part today David Herd films om Saturday so we should have it ready by mid week.

Hola, Hola.

Anyway, legends?

The 70s? DJ and Coop.

The 90s? Laudrup is a legend. I don't think Gazza was, even though I loved him, but didn't dye my hair. :)
!930's, surely Jimmy Smith would get a mention along with a few others like Jerry Dawson?

It's good to talk

Jeff Holmes completed his part today David Herd films om Saturday so we should have it ready by mid week.
I think I will try this over the weekend, Everyone will be right and no one will be wrong
I will only put players I have seen, and say why IMO they should get a seat at the top table.
Otherwise, you could just list the players with the most games

12 you say.

Jerry Dawson - The prince of goalkeepers
Sandy Jardine - International class player and led the club through difficult times
Davie Meiklejohn - 13 league championships and captain of the 'Hoodoo Breakers'
Richard Gough - The 9 in a row captain
Eric Caldow - Rolls Royce left back
John Greig - The greatest Ranger
Neilly Gibson - The greatest footballer of his generation in the world
Sandy Archibald - 17 years at Rangers, 13 league titles, over 500 appearances and over 100 goals
Ally McCoist - The greatest goalscorer and the man who stopped the 5 way agreement to strip titles
Bob McPhail - The second greatest goalscorer
Alan Morton - A world class left winger and Rangers director
Tom Vallance - An excellent sportsman, Rangers captain and one of the outstanding Scottish footballers of the Victorian era

In addition:

You need to have an organising committee for the dinner. I'd nominate Walter Smith, Willie Waddell, Bill Struth and Jock Wallace to form that committee.

You are going to need a Grand Tyler for this event to be sure that no one gets in that doesn't meet the requirements of being a great Ranger. There's only one man who could do that job and that would be Jimmy Bell.

1950s
Johnny Hubbard. Penalty king.!
Last Rangers player to score a league hat trick v Celtic.
He had a great relationship on and off the pitch with his great friend Billy Simpson.
Johnny was not only a wonderful player for Rangers. He scouted for the club.
Coached kids on the finer arts of the game and was a dedicated Rangers supporter until the day he died. Unlike the vast majority of so called Rangers legends that took little interest in the club whilst we were coming back up through the lower divisions , wee Johnny was at Ibrox every week in all weather. He loved nothing better than recalling his football career through good humour.

Dougie Gray surely
Not sure how you have the 12 greatest Rangers players without him, John Greig, Davie Meiklejohn and Sandy Jardine as a starting minimum. Just twelve is an impossible task, and throws up really interesting challenges like our gallant pioneers…we wouldn’t exist without them but are they all in 12 greatest Rangers??? Ooft…tough one. Is our greatest ever goalkeeper even in the top 12?

12 you say.

Jerry Dawson - The prince of goalkeepers
Sandy Jardine - International class player and led the club through difficult times
Davie Meiklejohn - 13 league championships and captain of the 'Hoodoo Breakers'
Richard Gough - The 9 in a row captain
Eric Caldow - Rolls Royce left back
John Greig - The greatest Ranger
Neilly Gibson - The greatest footballer of his generation in the world
Sandy Archibald - 17 years at Rangers, 13 league titles, over 500 appearances and over 100 goals
Ally McCoist - The greatest goalscorer and the man who stopped the 5 way agreement to strip titles
Bob McPhail - The second greatest goalscorer
Alan Morton - A world class left winger and Rangers director
Tom Vallance - An excellent sportsman, Rangers captain and one of the outstanding Scottish footballers of the Victorian era

In addition:

You need to have an organising committee for the dinner. I'd nominate Walter Smith, Willie Waddell, Bill Struth and Jock Wallace to form that committee.

You are going to need a Grand Tyler for this event to be sure that no one gets in that doesn't meet the requirements of being a great Ranger. There's only one man who could do that job and that would be Jimmy Bell.

You missed out William Wilton.

That's how impossible this task is.

PS, you also missed out the two greatest, finest Rangers players since WW2, Baxter and Laudrup. Arguably the best and most skillful players in our history.

However, your argument and choices do stack up and have great merit.

This decision will have us debating for a while I think.

Hola, Hola.

Anyway, legends?

The 70s? DJ and Coop.

It’s a cracking start, and the names on the list would be hard (impossible?) to argue with. But let’s see:

1. The list cut down to 12 (good luck…)
2. McCoist added to the list.

The older names are tough. I think(?) it was Bill Struth who said John McPherson was the best player of the first 50 years and that’s quite the statement. But his record doesn’t stack up against many other players.

Dougie Gray as well. A powerhouse under our greatest manager.

I'm telling myself to stop worrying about getting it right because there's no right answer. Which means I'll be as wrong as everyone else.

Oh, you have a task on your hands.

Then you have your formation and tactics for the players you pick?

My old man still goes with 1-2-3-5; Rangers should always play with two wingers. Let's just say he's set in his ways.

4-4-2, 4-3-3?, 3-5-2?

It will be interesting to see the final outcome.

I'm working backwards on this.

Greig and Meiklejohn are absolutely 'must haves' as the leaders.

You have to include Laudrup, Baxter and Morton - all recognised as being the absolute best of their era.

You have to include McCoist as our all-time top scorer.

Waddell and Cooper must be in there as two of the greatest we've ever had in those positions.

So we have four places left to consider Vallance, Gibson, Hamilton, Shaw, McPhail, Thornton, Jardine, Archibald, Gough, Dawson, Smith, DJ, Gray...

Jimmy Bowie must get a mention, the only Rangers player to become the Chairman.

Part of the team who build the beautiful Ibrox Stadium that all admire.

Oh, you have a task on your hands.

Then you have your formation and tactics for the players you pick?

My old man still goes with 1-2-3-5; Rangers should always play with two wingers. Let's just say he's set in his ways.

4-4-2, 4-3-3?, 3-5-2?

It will be interesting to see the final outcome.

It's not an actual team, so I can have 4 wingers, 2 goalkeepers and no full backs if I want. Just the 12 players who sit at the top table from the 152 years of Rangers. That's hard enough!

Greig, Morton, Meiklejohn, McCoist are surely non-negotiables.

After that people will have their favourites and it might depend on what era you're from or who your dad/granda spoke about, but those to me are 4 players whose names resonate through our history for their length of service, skill and achievements.

Last edited:
I haven’t read all this yet, looking forward to the films, but I cannot see this type of exercise being correct if it doesn’t include the Four Lads plus Vallance.
If it weren’t for them, where would we be.

A mix of those I've seen play, some I've read about, and some my Grandad spoke about:

Andy Goram
Sandy Jardine
John Greig
Richard Gough
Alec Smith
David Meiklejohn
Derek Johnstone
Willie Waddell
Alan Morton
Bob McPhail
Willie Henderson
Ally McCoist

Given that Ally McCoist left Rangers in 1998… who do we see as representing that last 25yrs or so?

There’s an argument that Tavernier is the “current day” - anyone else?

Given that Ally McCoist left Rangers in 1998… who do we see as representing that last 25yrs or so?

There’s an argument that Tavernier is the “current day” - anyone else?

Definitely James Tavernier is worth considering as is Barry Ferguson, Kris Boyd, Steven Davis, Alan McGregor.

Even Alfredo Morelos as our all time European top scorer is worth considering as he has made a unique contribution.

A lot tend to turn away from the more recent names and get a bit misty eyed.

Greig, Morton, Meiklejohn, McCoist are surely non-negotiables.

After that people will have their favourites and it might depend on what era you're from or who your dad/granda spoke about, but those to me are 4 players whose names resonate through our history for their length of service, skill and achievements.

Baxter and Laudrup are non-negotiables for me.

And you are spot on, your da and granda play a part in your judgement.

I haven’t read all this yet, looking forward to the films, but I cannot see this type of exercise being correct if it doesn’t include the Four Lads plus Vallance.
If it weren’t for them, where would we be.

It's not the most important figures in our history, it's who we would pick as the 12 most legendary Rangers players from the 100 in the hall of fame.

Baxter and Laudrup are non-negotiables for me.

And you are spot on, your da and granda play a part in your judgement.
Laudrup would certainly be in mine as the best Rangers player I've seen, and Baxter was my granda's favourite (probably the case for most who saw him I'd imagine). My da can't split Cooper and Laudrup, and also throws in Dave Smith every time.

Laudrup would certainly be in mine as the best Rangers player I've seen, and Baxter was my granda's favourite (probably the case for most who saw him I'd imagine). My da can't split Cooper and Laudrup, and also throws in Dave Smith every time.

It's all about opinions and Dave Smith, a silky footballer, had one of the hardest jobs ever in football. Having to replace Baxter, albeit, a year later.

The one thing I'm certain of is that DH and Co have one helluva pick on their hands.

It's all about opinions and Dave Smith, a silky footballer, had one of the hardest jobs ever in football. Having to replace Baxter, albeit, a year later.

The one thing I'm certain of is that DH and Co have one helluva pick on their hands.

Just accept the fact nobody will agree with me, but I tried my best!

Mission Impossible refused this idea as they thought it just too difficult.

I made this exact point yesterday to Jeff , we can see next week if he agreed

You also have Tommy Cairns, who was Alan Morton's first inside man.

He'd be captain for a spell, would shake hands with the opposing captain at kick off and say to him; 'We're here to play football, but if you take any liberties with that wee man on the left wing, we'll be taking liberties with you.'

Urban myth? Urban legend?

We'll never know.

Ferguson, McGregor & Tav are the only post 9AIR players who you could even consider. Even guys like Davis have too much competition in his position IMO.

11 match winners who single-handily won matches for us year-on-year are the only ones worthy of that table.

12 is an odd number tho. Why not 11 if it’s only players?
It's based on a top table at an imaginary dinner, where all 100 are invited but only 12 get to sit at the top table.

It's not an all-time eleven as that means best players per position rather than who are the greatest.

Andy Goram
Neilly Gibson
Jock Shaw
John Greig
Bob McPhail
Jim Baxter
Alan Morton
Davie Meiklejohn
John McPherson
Sandy Jardine
Willie Waddell
Ally McCoist
That is a very good shout, but surely you can't have a twelve that doesn't include Moses McNeil and Tom Vallance?

That is a very good shout, but surely you can't have a twelve that doesn't include Moses McNeil and Tom Vallance?
I thought about the founding fathers and no doubt they are more worthy than most but I looked at players throughout different generations that have been looked by many over many years as true Rangers legends.

I would have liked to have Laudrup and Caldow also but as I said tried to look at many generations. Very hard to pick 12 legends out of our many

I thought about the founding fathers and no doubt they are more worthy than most but I looked at players throughout different generations that have been looked by many over many years as true Rangers legends.

I would have liked to have Laudrup and Caldow also but as I said tried to look at many generations. Very hard to pick 12 legends out of our many
Yes. But with out the foundations of the club, nothing could ever have been assembled above and beyond. The founders were the most essential element of the entire project.
When you come to write your own story, don’t forget your parents.

The only way I would like to do this is by listing the players I have seen in the flesh
I have cheated a wee bit by naming them in a team formation 4-4-2
All IMO of course

GK Andy Goram, without a doubt, the greatest GK of any Generation
Five League Titles

Sandy Jardine, a Great Servant and I believe the only one to win two POTY Awards
Three League Titles ( including two trebles ) and ECWC

Richard Gough, a warrior, and an outstanding Leader and Defender, Souness's best signing. Nine in a row League Titles

John Brown is vastly underrated and would run through a brick wall for the Rangers and his teammates.
Six League Titles

John Greig was an outstanding servant and a much better player than he is credited with.
Five League Titles ( including three trebles ) and ECWC

Willie Henderson was picked five times for World Eleven selects, HE was that good
Two League Titles ( including one treble )

Barry Ferguson, the best Scottish Midfielder of his Generation
Five League Titles ( including one treble )

Ian Ferguson, Powerhouse in Midfield would enhance any team and Ten League Titles. ( including two trebles )

Davie Cooper, an unbelievable Talent
Three League Titles ( including one treble )

Ally McCoist, Record Goalscorer and Ten League Titles
( including one treble )

Derek Johnstone, Clasy player in Attack, Midfield or Defence
Three League Titles ( including Two trebles ) and ECWC

My final player is Graeme Souness who transformed the
Club

You have asked for twelve Rangers Legends and all of the above deserve this, sometimes loosely attributed to players but the one thing in common is they were and are 'Rangers Men'
Once A Ranger.............

I will add my team from other older Generations later.

Back