The Royal court of Rangers , history debate.

The only way I would like to do this is by listing the players I have seen in the flesh
I have cheated a wee bit by naming them in a team formation 4-4-2
All IMO of course

GK Andy Goram, without a doubt, the greatest GK of any Generation
Five League Titles

Sandy Jardine, a Great Servant and I believe the only one to win two POTY Awards
Three League Titles ( including two trebles ) and ECWC

Richard Gough, a warrior, and an outstanding Leader and Defender, Souness's best signing. Nine in a row League Titles

John Brown is vastly underrated and would run through a brick wall for the Rangers and his teammates.
Six League Titles

John Greig was an outstanding servant and a much better player than he is credited with.
Five League Titles ( including three trebles ) and ECWC

Willie Henderson was picked five times for World Eleven selects, HE was that good
Two League Titles ( including one treble )

Barry Ferguson, the best Scottish Midfielder of his Generation
Five League Titles ( including one treble )

Ian Ferguson, Powerhouse in Midfield would enhance any team and Ten League Titles. ( including two trebles )

Davie Cooper, an unbelievable Talent
Three League Titles ( including one treble )

Ally McCoist, Record Goalscorer and Ten League Titles
( including one treble )

Derek Johnstone, Clasy player in Attack, Midfield or Defence
Three League Titles ( including Two trebles ) and ECWC

My final player is Graeme Souness who transformed the
Club

You have asked for twelve Rangers Legends and all of the above deserve this, sometimes loosely attributed to players but the one thing in common is they were and are 'Rangers Men'
Once A Ranger.............

I will add my team from other older Generations later.

Pretty sure John Greig won two POTY awards. 1966 and 76.

However if that was the writers or players award I don't know?

Pretty sure John Greig won two POTY awards. 1966 and 76.

However if that was the writers or players award I don't know?
The players award didn't start till 1978, DJ was the first ever winner.

We have 4 players who have won the writers award more than once.

John Greig
Brian Laudrup
Barry Ferguson

Sandy Jardine won it as part of the 74 world cup squad, then won it himself the following year. He also won it when at Hearts.

This list is only covering players who have been watched from the terraces by my family and me. The likes of Tom Vallance, Nicol Smith, Alec Smith, Neilly Gibson, Geordie Henderson etc are just too far back although are names I have known since Rangers : The New Era was given to me in 1966. No explanations are required for the following :-

Andy Cunningham
The Meik
Alan Morton
Jerry Dawson
Bob McPhail
George Young
Willie Waddell
Jim Baxter
Davie Wilson
John Greig
Sandy Jardine
Derek Johnstone

The players award didn't start till 1978, DJ was the first ever winner.

We have 4 players who have won the writers award more than once.

John Greig
Brian Laudrup
Barry Ferguson

Sandy Jardine won it as part of the 74 world cup squad, then won it himself the following year. He also won it when at Hearts.

I remember Greig had a wee comeback of sorts and I think Scotland played Denmark (although I could be wrong) in the spring of 1976.

He took a knock to his nose. I actually watched him getting his nose back in place in the middle of the park. Obviously a fracture.

My old man always maintains John Greig is the 'Greatest Ranger' he ever saw.

Hola, Hola.

Manfrom, I believe the word legend is bandied about too easily, especially on this forum.

We then get needing to give a time period as a criteria. Stuff and nonsense. The two best Rangers footballers of the last 64 years, are Baxter and Laudrup. Both gave us four years service.

Anyway, legends?

I'd imagine the four gallant pioneers qualify. Add in the fifth Beatle, Tom Vallance.

Neily Gibson must be in with a shout. As does Alec Smith, 21 years a Ranger.

Apparently a John 'Kitey' McPherson was voted the best Rangers player in our first 50 years?

The 1920s? Three standouts. Morton. Meiklejohn and McPhail.

The 30s? It was an all powerful side(s) overall, but no one stands out, which might be unfair.

The 40s becomes problematic.

Definitely George Young, Willie Woodburnn and Willie Waddell.

But you could add in Sammy Cox and Willie Thornton (the only Rangers player to score a hat trick in three decades) and Tiger Shaw.

The 50s? No one really stands out.

The 60s? Well that's easy. Baxter, Greig and possibly McKinnon, who played the most for Rangers in the decade.

The 70s? DJ and Coop.

The 80s? That's a hard one. Absolute guff and then turned around. However, I have to make a special mention of Ian Durrant. He was heading for the straosphere.

The 90s? Laudrup is a legend. I don't think Gazza was, even though I loved him, but didn't dye my hair. :)

No Coisty?

Vallance
Gray
Meiklejohn
Greig
Baxter
Laudrup
McCoist
DJ
Gough
Shaw
Woodburn
McNeil
So many I had to leave out but this is my 12

I love threads like this and the debate,a polite debate I might add, and the posts about the great legends that have played for our club.

To me, and my opinion, Alan Morton is Greatest Ranger and the reason he is at the top of our iconic staircase.

The Wee Blue Devil, a true Ranger on and off the park, part of the immortal Hoodoo Busters, and a director for over 40 years until his passing.

I remember Greig had a wee comeback of sorts and I think Scotland played Denmark (although I could be wrong) in the spring of 1976.

He took a knock to his nose. I actually watched him getting his nose back in place in the middle of the park. Obviously a fracture.

My old man always maintains John Greig is the 'Greatest Ranger' he ever saw.
Wasn't this the same game that Doddie got his one & only cap?

If it was service to the club, Jimmy Bowie could be included.
Signed in Dec 1910 as a player from QP,
Retired in the 20s, Director from the 30s,
Resigned as Chairman in 1947.
37 years as a Player, Director and Chairman.

Filming for part two is currently underway as we speak. One thing this thread and the debate in general reminds us is just how important some if our greats have been to this unique fitba club we call The Rangers.

Filming for part two is currently underway as we speak. One thing this thread and the debate in general reminds us is just how important some if our greats have been to this unique fitba club we call The Rangers.
That's me filmed my bit, so too late now to change my mind again. Really should have taken a script with me, forgot to mention 2 or 3 players that I intended to.
But my 12 are now on record, and I know not one person will agree with them all.

@Manfromdelmonte will decide when the videos by Jeff and myself go out.

That's me filmed my bit, so too late now to change my mind again. Really should have taken a script with me, forgot to mention 2 or 3 players that I intended to.
But my 12 are now on record, and I know not one person will agree with them all.

@Manfromdelmonte will decide when the videos by Jeff and myself go out.

It will still be interesting.

Of course it will not and cannot be agreed with universally. But that's the nature of football fans. Us more than most.

Jeff Holmes on first tonight. I await him being torn to bits for who he has missed out, then it's my turn tomorrow night.

Like everybody else, its a real struggle once you start thinking.
So as quick as i could i'd be looking for Neilly Gibson ( the number of players who define him as 'the best' has to be respected' ).
OL probably has to be Alan Morton- jeez leaving out Davie Cooper and Alec Smith, Laudrup!!
Goals - Jerry Dawson.
Defence- D.Gray, Nicol Smith, the Meek , Sandy Jardine
Midfield - Baxter or Jimmy Gordon ( the man Struth referred to as the greatest Ranger!) If we were losing!
Greig, Gibson.
Forwards - D.J, Morton, Waddell

Thats what came to mind -and 'balancing' the team into a modern unit would be tricky!

Let's just say Jeff and I have quite a few in common but a few very obvious disagreements.

Jeff Holmes on first tonight. I await him being torn to bits for who he has missed out, then it's my turn tomorrow night.

I'm sure that won't be the case.

But people have their own favourites and will argue the case for their views.

When have Rangers fans ever agreed on everything?

Like everybody else, its a real struggle once you start thinking.
So as quick as i could i'd be looking for Neilly Gibson ( the number of players who define him as 'the best' has to be respected' ).
OL probably has to be Alan Morton- jeez leaving out Davie Cooper and Alec Smith, Laudrup!!
Goals - Jerry Dawson.
Defence- D.Gray, Nicol Smith, the Meek , Sandy Jardine
Midfield - Baxter or Jimmy Gordon ( the man Struth referred to as the greatest Ranger!) If we were losing!
Greig, Gibson.
Forwards - D.J, Morton, Waddell

Thats what came to mind -and 'balancing' the team into a modern unit would be tricky!
It isn't a greatest eleven. The 12 chosen are our opinion on who are the 12 greatest players from the 100 in the club hall of fame. The position they played isn't a factor.
The question asked of us was to create a top table of 12 at an imaginary Legends Dinner, with the 100 hall of fame players being the invitees.
Give Jeff's video a watch and see if you agree with his reasoning of who the 12 greatest players in 152 years of Rangers have been.

It isn't a greatest eleven. The 12 chosen are our opinion on who are the 12 greatest players from the 100 in the club hall of fame. The position they played isn't a factor.
The question asked of us was to create a top table of 12 at an imaginary Legends Dinner, with the 100 hall of fame players being the invitees.
Give Jeff's video a watch and see if you agree with his reasoning of who the 12 greatest players in 152 years of Rangers have been.

That's understandable.

It wouldn't have been mine but you just have to accept others opinions.

The other thing is it might make people start talking about the wonderful array of talent we've had over our history.

One last bump for this, in case anyone fancies watching some Rangers history chat.

I love threads like this and the debate,a polite debate I might add, and the posts about the great legends that have played for our club.

To me, and my opinion, Alan Morton is Greatest Ranger and the reason he is at the top of our iconic staircase.

The Wee Blue Devil, a true Ranger on and off the park, part of the immortal Hoodoo Busters, and a director for over 40 years until his passing.

A wee word, possibly pedantic. Alan Morton's nickname in his Rangers career, was 'The Wee Society Man'.

It was the English who gave him 'The Wee Blue Devil' tag.

Ian Ferguson should always be mentioned for these things.

Has a Rangers player ever won more medals?

He also reinvented himself as a player as his career developed and was a vital part of several very successful and different teams.

His ability to continue contributing into the Advocaat era was pretty unique amongst his peers.

So many greats not included- George Young, Willie Woodburn, Bobby Shearer, Cox, or Gillick, and then those contemporary players who were quite brilliant in their prime here; no Caldow, for instance. It will always be debateable, this type of thing.

Last edited:
Ian Ferguson should always be mentioned for these things.

Has a Rangers player ever won more medals?

He also reinvented himself as a player as his career developed and was a vital part of several very successful and different teams.

His ability to continue contributing into the Advocaat era was pretty unique amongst his peers.
One of my all-time favourites, and much more talented than given credit for.

So many greats not included- George Young, Willie Woodburn, Bobby Shearer, Cox, or Gillick, and then those contemporary players who were quite brilliant in their prime here; no Caldow, for instance. It will always be debateable, this type of thing.
That's the main reason we decided to film the shows and creat debate amongst as many of our fans as possible .

Not to be awkward, but if we are filling 12 seats , are we limiting it to living legends only?
lets face it, we should only pick guys we have seen, so maybe no players from the pre 50s era could be picked?

1/Moses McNeil
2/Tom Vallance pick their brains on how difficult it was to start a team and their views on what it had become.
3/ William Wilton : thoughts of our first manager.
4/ Bill Struth : get an insight into our most successful manager.
5/ Dave Meiklejohn : talk us through the penalty kick in the 1928 SCF to open the scoring.
6/ Sam English : talk about how he was treated after the accident and his scoring record.
7/ George Young : A giant of Scottish football and captain of the iron curtain defence.
8/ Willie Waddell : how he managed the club through our darkest day and winning our only European trophy to date.
9/ David Holmes : on bringing in Souness and his pride in how it revitalised the club.
10/ John Greig : voted greatest ever Ranger.
11/ Walter Smith : True Ranger who gave us everything he had and managed some of our greatest players.
12/ Ally McCoist : no show without punch. Can talk us through the shitshow from 2012.

1/Moses McNeil
2/Tom Vallance pick their brains on how difficult it was to start a team and their views on what it had become.
3/ William Wilton : thoughts of our first manager.
4/ Bill Struth : get an insight into our most successful manager.
5/ Dave Meiklejohn : talk us through the penalty kick in the 1928 SCF to open the scoring.
6/ Sam English : talk about how he was treated after the accident and his scoring record.
7/ George Young : A giant of Scottish football and captain of the iron curtain defence.
8/ Willie Waddell : how he managed the club through our darkest day and winning our only European trophy to date.
9/ David Holmes : on bringing in Souness and his pride in how it revitalised the club.
10/ John Greig : voted greatest ever Ranger.
11/ Walter Smith : True Ranger who gave us everything he had and managed some of our greatest players.
12/ Ally McCoist : no show without punch. Can talk us through the shitshow from 2012.

This exercise is for players only, and limited to the 100 in the hall of fame.

Not to be awkward, but if we are filling 12 seats , are we limiting it to living legends only?
lets face it, we should only pick guys we have seen, so maybe no players from the pre 50s era could be picked?

Why ignore the history books? The question is who do we think are the 12 greatest players in the history of the club. It would be something totally different if we made it only the television age.

Back