The Scottish Amateur Cup 2023/2024

Is the amateur game really struggling?

When I used to follow it teams in the SAFL Premier like Campbeltown Pupils, Oban Saints, Cambria, St Pats, Greenock, Gourock, Goldenhill, Busby, RR East Kilbride & Postal Utd were all the big names. Other recognisable teams were like Lochgilphead Red Star, Duncanrig, Tarbert, Haldane, Rutherglen, Kings Park & Inverclyde.

Football at that level really seems to be on the bones of its arse for watever reason?
Haldane folded, though they do have a team in the Friday night over 35s league and it's all ex players from the old Saturday team.

Haldane folded, though they do have a team in the Friday night over 35s league and it's all ex players from the old Saturday team.
Good team were Haldane. Also teams like Fernhill Villa, St Joes, Aikenhead Thistle, Glasgow Harp too, unsure if they exist?

St Joseph’s and Glasgow Harp still going and both good clubs in the Caley league. Harp have regressed a bit over the last couple of years due to a poor managerial appointment but he’s gone.

Quarter Final Draw

Annbank v Garrowhill Thitsle

Greenock HSFP v Cupar Hearts

Balgonie Scotia v Steins Thistle

Sandys v Glenburn Miners Welfare

Ties to be played 30th of March 2024

Semi Final Draw

Annbank or Garrowhill v Sandys or Glenburn Miners Welfare

Balgonie Scotia or Steins v Greenock HSFP or Cupar Hearts

Dates TBC

Last edited:
Steins could end up playing Greenock 3 times in the next 7/8 weeks with a place in the Scottish Cup final and their division title at stake.

Be down watching Greenock game again on 30th. Guessing 1pm KO again?
Watched their last game against Castlemilk.

Last edited:
The 35s league is probably more popular than ever at the moment. There are five regional 35s league and an over 40s Sunday league. The fact the games are played on a Friday night suits more guys from a family angle. A played a few seasons in the 35s pre Covid. Now in my third season in the over 40s. Play for Young Boys of Partick

Very open this year the Cup. Two games Saturday Shortlees v Annbank and Garrowhill v Drum Saturday morning.

All to play for.

Also big West game coming up as well

Gartcosh v Drum Ams.

The 35s league is probably more popular than ever at the moment. There are five regional 35s league and an over 40s Sunday league. The fact the games are played on a Friday night suits more guys from a family angle. A played a few seasons in the 35s pre Covid. Now in my third season in the over 40s. Play for Young Boys of Partick

Aye I know quite a few folk who've chucked regular amateur football to play over 35s. Games every second Friday.

Quite a few teams have 'ringers' right enough. Well not really, but just a bunch of ex pros who have obviously still got a bit :)

I think in retrospect the SAFA might regret the 35s set up and wish they’d gone for over 40s only.

I was surprised by that result, I fancied Castlemilk to go all the way. I’ll post the venues and kick off times when they’re confirmed.
They had a boy #11 on right wing in first half, was playing a blinder everytime he got ball he created something.
Second half he ended up on left side and completely fell out the game.

I think the success of the over 35s has had a negative impact on traditional amateur football.
Ah ok, I'm with you now. Like I said the times the games are played just work better for those with kids. Loads of kids activities are on a Saturday morning. The Friday night for the 35s, and the Sunday for the 40s works for many.

Anyway Young Boys of Partick vs Glasgow on The Ball, 1230pm tomorrow, Nethercraigs

Cheers mate.

Should be a decent final. Good game to play in.
If selected. If selected. I'm making this up as I need attention: Sterling in goals.

Best of luck v either

Drum Ams - good side. International DJ David Forbes still making players half his age run about after him. Just turned 50. Like big Skelf now at Campsie. Always MOM.

Gartcosh - good side. Bernie is Manager and a good guy. Sawyers up front a handful for Centre halfs. Play as as a team. Monk in goals will probably be smoking a fag in the changing room before ko.

That Semi on 29th should be a cracker.

Ah ok, I'm with you now. Like I said the times the games are played just work better for those with kids. Loads of kids activities are on a Saturday morning. The Friday night for the 35s, and the Sunday for the 40s works for many.

Anyway Young Boys of Partick vs Glasgow on The Ball, 1230pm tomorrow, Nethercraigs
Young Boys of Partick 7 Glasgow on the Ball 2. :D

East of Scotland Cup Semi Final

Doune Castle 1 Steins Thistle 1

Steins won 4-2 on penalties.

Second semi final is on Friday evening,

Sandys v Stenhousemuir.

My old team Stein's going great guns.
Beaten finalists last year in the Scottish and on a good run again this year. I don’t know much about Balgonie Scotia but took in Steins in the last round against another Fife team and it was a bit of a slog.

Steins striker is very good, was sent off in the last round of the Scottish so may be suspended for the 1/4 final. He’d be a big loss.

Tomorrow’s 1/4 Final ties

New Pebble Park, Annbank @ 14:00

Battery Park, Greenock @ 14:00

King George V Park, Glenrothes & 14:00

Castlebrae High School, Niddrie @ 13:00

[/QU

Who would you have your money on tomorrow Rosco Cupar or Greenock??

Tough one to call @Cuparbear . Greenock a really young team, predominantly U21’s with a bit of experience including David Grant who is up there with the best I’ve ever seen at amateur level. Cupar have been over the course and as holders will fancy themselves.

Wouldn’t rule out a replay and I think the winner will come from this tie.

Tonight’s West of Scotland Cup semi final result.

Drumchapel Ams 0 Gartcosh 0
Gartcosh won 5-3 on penalties.

Final is Bannockburn v Gartcosh.

Tough one to call @Cuparbear . Greenock a really young team, predominantly U21’s with a bit of experience including David Grant who is up there with the best I’ve ever seen at amateur level. Cupar have been over the course and as holders will fancy themselves.

Hopefully Cupars experience will see them through, they are doing it the hard way again always seem to get away ties, anyway best of luck to all the teams tomorrow some cracking ties

Hopefully Cupars experience will see them through, they are doing it the hard way again always seem to get away ties, anyway best of luck to all the teams tomorrow some cracking ties
The way Cupar are going about their business has really impressed me. Good to see other Fife clubs stepping up to the plate this season, Balgonie have a great chance tomorrow Greig Park Rangers fell just short to Steins in the last round.

Steins were beaten finalists last year, still going strong this, won 13/13 in the league and also in the final of the East of Scotland Cup Final this season.

The way Cupar are going about their business has really impressed me. Good to see other Fife clubs stepping up to the plate this season, Balgonie have a great chance tomorrow Greig Park Rangers fell just short to Steins in the last round.

Steins were beaten finalists last year, still going strong this, won 13/13 in the league and also in the final of the East of Scotland Cup Final this season.
Fancy Steins tbh mate but would be great to have an all Fife semi final

Steins Thistle 1 v Greig Park Rangers AFC (Fife) 0

Annbank AFC 1 v Shortlees AFC 1

Drumchapel United AFC (Saturday morning) 2 v Garrowhill Thistle 2

Glenburn Miners Welfare 4 v Gartcosh 3

Sandys 5 v Mauchline United 1

Doune Castle 0 v Cupar Hearts 5

Greenock HSFP 4
v Castlemilk OBC 2

Balgonie Scotia (Fife) 1 v Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 0
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers?

Probably be sorry I asked, but what’s with the name…?

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers?

Probably be sorry I asked, but what’s with the name…?
I only found this out recently and I can’t remember but it’s something to do with a Wycombe Wanderers supporting founder of the club, I think. I’ll get back to you on it though. :p

Will this be on grass or astro?

I only found this out recently and I can’t remember but it’s something to do with a Wycombe Wanderers supporting founder of the club, I think. I’ll get back to you on it though. :p
Our team used to play against them when they first appeared at boys club level
IIRC they were formed when Wycombe Wanderers first got into the Football League and due to the letters was how that came about.
Im happy to be proved wrong and would prefer your explanation.

Back