The Signing of Maurice Johnston

Because the fact you actually stopped going to Ibrox, and then never celebrated when we scored a last minute winner against Celtic shows that your hatred of us signing him is greater than your love for Rangers.

So yeah, it is tragic.

Im sure we have all heard stories about fans who stopped going to Ibrox when we signed him.

Just think: they missed out on seeing in the flesh 9 in a row, Hateley, Laudrup, Gazza, Albertz and so many others.

The 92/93 season including the european campaign.

Two runs to european finals.

Walters Return.

So many great games and moments.

For the "boycotters" every single one of Rangers achievements over the last 34 years was "enjoyed" whilst watching the box or listening on the radio.

All because we signed an ex sellic striker who was only here was a few years.

With such a twisted attitude towards football they are no sad loss to Ibrox.

They are better off in the house.

Two.

And our attendances increased that season and next.
I don’t know how many seasons tickets were torn up but I don’t believe it is accurate to portray the signing of Johnston as universally accepted immediately.
I don’t remember any fans vocally making their feelings known negatively however .
There was certainly chat amongst supporters and it wasn’t all positive.
However any negative chat was swiftly removed after he scored against them at Ibrox in the last minute.
That’s my recollection and I can believe season tickets rose as you state.

I’m of a vintage where Rangers fans sang different words to the Pilot song now sang about Tillman when it first came out
You may recollect.
Far more important than that era is where we are now which has seen a more diverse culture watching us and playing for us.
Nowadays some of our players as they come on the park routinely cross themselves and nobody bothers their Archie or the religion of any of our players.

Last edited:
I wasn't alive when Rangers signed Maurice Johnston, through modern eyes it still feels like a significant moment in our history but I don't think anyone who wasn't there can really grasp the feelings of shock that came with it.

To cut a long story short I'm working on something and looking to hear thoughts from people who were around at the time, were you happy with the signing? Did the GIRUY factor outweigh everything else? How did you and those around you react? etc

Cheers in advance.
Mo, mo super mo a brilliant GIRFUY to the beggars , wasnt sure at ist but gradually grew to like him but what a singing for us , thank you mo for everything you done for us and all the hatred you caused from the beggars

If you asked Bears on July 8th 1989
IF they would sign or would like to sign Johnstone it would have been a massive NO.
Souness presented us with a fait accompli, and we simply got on with it.
It helped that it drove them nuts and Mo was a great player for us.

I was too young but my Dad has told me he was one of our best ever signings. Not for the player but for the impact and momentum of the club moving towards modern football.

John Spencer is a Catholic and was still on our books when we signed Maurice Johnston. Neither were our first Catholics either. But Celtic have always had first pick of those of that persuasion from the faith schools, with Hibs getting their sloppy seconds

The very few leftovers were divvied up between the rest of the Scottish clubs and it was no surprise that the majority had no Catholics at all in their teams for years at a stretch. Decades in some cases.

Even today Catholics only make up about 16% of the Scottish population. So even Celtic rarely ever had a squad 100% Catholic.

The Johnston signing made little difference to the Rangers support numbers, the stadium remained full, and the ST waiting lists still growing ever longer. But it was a shock to snatch him right from under the noses of Celtic who thought they had secured him bar everything but his name on the dotted line.

So the outraged timplosion was almost on a nuclear level. Meanwhile in the blue corner there was stunned surprise, disbelief even. Swiftly followed by a mix of absolute delight at signing him, and mocking laughter at the audacity of what Souness had done to them.

So for those too young to remember. Just think of Helicopter Sunday when Celtic thought they had the title in the bag. Except the bag had a trophy sized hole in it.

It was a bit like that.

Last edited:
If you read the book, Ten Days that shook Rangers, there is anvexcellent chapter all about it.

I was at Parkhead for his Old Firm debut, in a blue jersey, and I have never ( and I am now 66) witnessed the level of hatred unleashed upon any player like I saw and heard from the home support that day.

I also knew the guy that ran the Ticket Office then, who told me that the number of season tickets returned because of his signing was precisely two! The widespread outrage by Rangers supporters was the message the media wanted to portray, not the reality.

It was, however, an absolute dagger to the heart of the Celtic support.

Personally, I thought he was a great signing for us (and NOT our first RC player of the 80's) and his workrate that first season for us was second to none.
I knew one of them personally, he was the bloke on the news at the gates ripping his season ticket up - fella from the Drum that lives in Bearsden coincidentally. Last I know of he still hasn't been back since o_O

I was only about 11 at the time and I can always remember that my uncle ripped up his season ticket because we signed a Catholic.

Loved Mo signing for us as we got a great player and sucked the life out of the Tims.

Only thing that came close to Mo signing was both helicopter Sundays.

I was very happy with the signing, although it was pretty unbelievable at the time. I was on a football team trip abroad when it happened and had a mountain of newspapers waiting for me when I got back home that my dad had kept.

It was absolutely true, it happened just across from where the Loudoun is, (though not at the time), at the wee carry out shop on the corner, that’s where I picked mine up as a kid, and 33 years later I still have it. I’ve got no doubt that wasn’t the only place.

When you have people on here saying they quite literally refused to cheer when he scored, even against Celtic, it isn’t much of a leap at all to think scarves were being thrown away and tied to lampposts.

Quite incredible looking back now
I chucked mine away . 14 and all pics of my wall . Was disgusted with Rangers at the time , yes people say time moves on but something died within the club that day that’ll never be back . And now we’ve players openly blessing themselves . Jock Wallace and Mr Waddell would never have allowed it

I chucked mine away . 14 and all pics of my wall . Was disgusted with Rangers at the time , yes people say time moves on but something died within the club that day that’ll never be back . And now we’ve players openly blessing themselves . Jock Wallace and Mr Waddell would never have allowed it
Seems you hate Catholics more than you love Rangers. Tragic, utterly tragic.

Mo-jo's signing was an absolute stroke of genius,did well for us and that first goal he scored against the filth will live with me forever :)
One of the things Souness will be remembered for and absolutely giruy on an epic scale that will never be beaten in Scotland as football has changed so much since then.
Johnston was a brilliant player for us and Scotland at the time.

Everyone, anyone?

Everyone, anyone?
Well then why can’t we have the orange church parade at Ibrox , A large percentage of our supporters are either members of loyal orders , band members or support and attend parades ? 1st July day of big walk , why doesn’t the club open our function suites for lodges to hire ?

I wasn't alive when Rangers signed Maurice Johnston, through modern eyes it still feels like a significant moment in our history but I don't think anyone who wasn't there can really grasp the feelings of shock that came with it.

To cut a long story short I'm working on something and looking to hear thoughts from people who were around at the time, were you happy with the signing? Did the GIRUY factor outweigh everything else? How did you and those around you react? etc

Cheers in advance.
I remember it well and at the time lived next to a serving player of the dark side When he came home from training ,there was I cleaning the car he was ashen faced and said the whole dressing room was the same and in total disbelief he could have signed for The Famous it was a lovely sunny day as well WATP

Sadly you are correct unless we pull off a very unlikely comeback in the league this year.

Even then we are still behind as they got more than us this year just for qualifying, and will do so again next year.
Something, I feel a lot of our support don't seem to be grasping.

We need to qualify for next season's CL group stages. It's not up for debate and anyone thinking we can skip the groups and go onto another EL final instead, which = the same money should be given a white jacket with ten foot arms.

For me, this transfer window has been underwhelming (nothing against Cantwell and Raskin) and there is no guarantee the next window will be any better. Because we still need major surgery and/or recruitment.

I was at his public debut v Airdrie and got interviewed on Sky afterwards.
I was in the Copland Front when he scored v the Tramps.
Incredible scenes and absolutely magic!

You're a f.uckin idiot and that's being kind!!

Souness wanted to break a "mould" in a very public manner - a mould that was a public perception rather than the reality of previous Catholic signings.

I think he decided to do it in the most flamboyant and GIRUY manner possible to Scum FC and their lapdog press hordes - hence MJ. It was a major building block to 9IAR and to those that gave up their season tickets - apparently you were not missed. I was at Ibrox when MJ scored the late winner against the Scum - believe me nobody gave a fek what religion he was, except for Tims

Hated him at Celtic, thought he was a horrible wee bitter c@nt, wasnt particularly bothered about the religion, it was reported around the time that Celtic had a mass for players and Mo Johnston didnt bother going. When we signed him I was totally shocked but he was a great player. Won me over with his workrate and goals.

I saw a few arguments at games to start with, the various viewpoints getting aired. One of my best mates was the spitting image of Mo Jonston at the time and he hated it as the haters used to get onto him. He took to wearing a hat at games to hide the ginger hair :D
Was your mates name Billy?

My personal experience of Mo signing was like the Kennedy assassination. You remember where you were. I was working in Mcdonald's at the junction of Union St and Jamaica st. The boss of the whole operation walked into the restroom with a paper and said ' Mo Johnston has signed for Rangers!'

Pissed myself laughing.

He was paraded before cellik fans as a signing BEFORE he was signed by McNeill.

Celtic refused to pay the tax on the signing once again going for the cheap option that he'll go to them. Just like McGinn decades later.

Rangers paid the tax and he was a Rangers player.

The hatred he has suffered because of cellik biscuit tin shouldn't be forgotten. He still gets death threats from them.

Alfie Conn served me a pint in the Louden Duke St years ago. So just who's bitter?

Im sure we have all heard stories about fans who stopped going to Ibrox when we signed him.

Just think: they missed out on seeing in the flesh 9 in a row, Hateley, Laudrup, Gazza, Albertz and so many others.

Walters Return.

For the "boycotters" every single one of Rangers achievements over the last 34 years was "enjoyed" whilst watching the box or listening on the radio.

up yours mate

Walters Return.

thank %^*& we never signed him on the 12 of july

Cheers in advance.
First centre- forward i saw for Rangers was Alex Ferguson and (although I don't get often these days) I'll be there on Sunday and hoping to see Colak score.
However I only saw Maurice Johnston play in a hooped jersey. When he signed i didn't foam at the mouth and rip up a season book for the benefit of TV cameras as some did- I just felt utterly betrayed and decided there seemed little point carrying on our great rivalry with Celtic by playing RC ex- Celtic players and fans. So I stopped going.
You would have to closely study the social history of the day to comprehend how I or anyone else would take what now seems a ludicrous stance.
I don't post this to defend not going. Rangers did the correct thing and I am embarrassed now to have taken such a stance.
But if from your responses, you are forming a picture of the Rangers support glorying in the rage of the Celtic fans then you're only seeing glimpses. As an earlier poster stated, if you asked any Rangers fan the day before the signing if they would wish Johnston in a blue jersey 99% would have been aghast. Only when he scored against Celtic was he truly accepted. The initial hostility towards the signing from Rangers fans wasn't confined to a small minority- and the anti- Catholic songs and sentiments continued. There's few that can claim to have no hang-ups about the issue without displaying a brass-neck level of hypocrisy.
Happily the question of any new players background is of no consequence to any Rangers fan these days.
But for those who weren't around in '89 and may be understandably shocked to learn that chants such as 'Rangers and Catholics don't go' had been routine for years prior, it's worth considering a more contemporary question-
would you be willing to pay the wages of a Lennon, Brown or Griffiths if they had followed Johnston's example?

First centre- forward i saw for Rangers was Alex Ferguson and (although I don't get often these days) I'll be there on Sunday and hoping to see Colak score.
However I only saw Maurice Johnston play in a hooped jersey. When he signed i didn't foam at the mouth and rip up a season book for the benefit of TV cameras as some did- I just felt utterly betrayed and decided there seemed little point carrying on our great rivalry with Celtic by playing RC ex- Celtic players and fans. So I stopped going.
You would have to closely study the social history of the day to comprehend how I or anyone else would take what now seems a ludicrous stance.
I don't post this to defend not going. Rangers did the correct thing and I am embarrassed now to have taken such a stance.
But if from your responses, you are forming a picture of the Rangers support glorying in the rage of the Celtic fans then you're only seeing glimpses. As an earlier poster stated, if you asked any Rangers fan the day before the signing if they would wish Johnston in a blue jersey 99% would have been aghast. Only when he scored against Celtic was he truly accepted. The initial hostility towards the signing from Rangers fans wasn't confined to a small minority- and the anti- Catholic songs and sentiments continued. There's few that can claim to have no hang-ups about the issue without displaying a brass-neck level of hypocrisy.
Happily the question of any new players background is of no consequence to any Rangers fan these days.
But for those who weren't around in '89 and may be understandably shocked to learn that chants such as 'Rangers and Catholics don't go' had been routine for years prior, it's worth considering a more contemporary question-
would you be willing to pay the wages of a Lennon, Brown or Griffiths if they had followed Johnston's example?
The three of them combined aren't half the player that Maurice Johnston was, and none of them would've signed for Rangers anyway after their time at Celtic.

This is my opinion.
It was like a punch to the gut. Remember back then we had not had a Catholic sign in the then modern times. It was a betrayal of our culture and there were many many supporters flinging their scarf away and swearing they would not set foot back in Ibrox.
It also was a huge betrayal to them as such a high profile player who had been paraded to the media as the great hero returning.

Times have changed since then and it is rightly so accepted that we sign the best we can.

I was of the opinion that it was wrong. Not for MoJo being a Catholic but for who he had played for before. I suppose I was also hoping he would fail in some way and was very disappointed that Super did not get more game time with him being there.

My opinion as I have said.
John Spencer (a Catholic) was already at the club when MoJo signed. Can you define modern times? I've always stood by the fact through the years we were pretty much aligned with the religious demographic of the country. Them on the other hand were totally the opposite of the religious demographic of the country.

On route to work, called into newsagents for a paper and there it was in big headlines. I was in shock, couldn't believe it and cards on the table, wanted nothing to do with him. Only weeks before this we were singing at the cup final " we've got Ally fvck your Mo". By the time he scored against Aberdeen my feelings had changed a bit after seeing how much effort he was giving us. After scoring the winner against the beasts he was a Ranger and one of us. The song now was "we've got Ally and your Mo".

I remember it well, It crushed them which was all important plus he was as has been said a true quality player. I`ve not read all the comments here but i always though Johnny Spencer was our first catholic player but I could be wrong

No Jo was a good Scotland international striker that enhanced our squad. He was a good signing from a football sense.

The fact that he laid to rest the whole Rangers don’t sign Catholics shite and was the biggest get it up you ever to them was a real worthwhile bonus

It broke them and still hurts to this day. Excellent value for money.

The amount of posters who say they weren't born or too young to remember, makes me feel old:(

I was working down feegie park in paisley when I heard the news, went to the phone box and called the ticket office for confirmation lol , the guy who answered said yes but he didn’t sound very happy …. He was a great player for us, made us a better team, takes balls to do what he did…. The tramps were raging and still are …
Did you think the News was kidding on :))

Back