The Signing of Maurice Johnston

Did you cheer Neil McCann's goals, especially those against Celtic to win the league at The Piggery?
i cheered when mccann scored at porkheid
i cheered when big lorenzo scored
i cheered when chris burke scored
i cheered when john spencer scored
but i didn’t cheer when the only club i want to play for that’s celtic player scored
wee jump the dyke bstrd

I was too young at 10 y.o to fully appreciate the significance of Johnston signing so was simply excited to see him in the team. It was big news, there was no escaping that even as a kid and I remember the disbelief, anger and interest it caused. I didn’t care that he was catholic or ex-Celtic then and wonder how different I would have felt had I been a bit older. Possibly it wouldn’t have made much difference because he was a very good player. I don’t remember much of what brought about his departure after only a couple of years? He would have only been about 28. If nothing else it probably assisted in McCoist’s upward career trajectory.

i cheered when mccann scored at porkheid
i cheered when big lorenzo scored
i cheered when chris burke scored
i cheered when john spencer scored
but i didn’t cheer when the only club i want to play for that’s celtic player scored
wee jump the dyke bstrd
You do realise Neil McCann jumped the dyke?

Reactions: VGM
Hated him before during and after his tenure with us. A scumbag mercenary of the worst kind.
(Don’t like Kenny Miller either btw)

why? i hated the bastard still do %^*& him turncoat %^*&
So you hated a Rangers player for being a turncoat?

Now, I hate jump the dykes for going against their own. There is nothing worse than the blind, dumb, deaf taking the filth's punt.

But you hate Johnston for going against HIS own, even though he was doing your own team a favour?

That simply does not add up?

And Walter soon slapped them down for their stupidity.

The 2nd time we had Miller he was at the absolute peak of his career and was terrific for us.
If you ever want an example of a player who wrung every last ounce out of his skill set, and ability it's Kenny Miller. The cliche was that he ran around a lot, but that was far from the case later in his career where he developed into a very intelligent player with Kris Boyd in particular reaping the benefit. A favourite example of this was a goal at Rugby Park where from the right wing he played a 40 yard pass into Boyd's path for a low finish.

The Sellick fans in work still despise him 30 odd years later. Their hatred of him says it all :))
I know a few yahoos here in Thailand, they absolutely detest him which is always a source of amusement for me. The fact all these years later he still cant live in Scotland just shows the level of hatred that consumes them. They also provented him playing in a chadity match a few years back which proves it even further. For older bears like myself the only other similar signing i can think off was Alfie Conn, aye we were pissed off but we never showed the level of hatred that the tàrriers did and continue to do until this day.
As for the OP the GIRFUY towards them was one of my abiding memories of being a bear back then. The late winner he scored against them in his first derby game af Ibrox was the icing on the cake.

.... The late winner he scored against them in his first derby game at Ibrox was the icing on the cake.

Watched the highlights of that game today.
That 88th minute winner I dont believe a single one of us in that stadium never celebrated that GIRUY moment.
Mo signing set that mob back years.

The fans who gave up their season tickets when he signed were the losers missing out seeing a great team back then.

I was 16., I remember it being fairly big news here in England.. but a lot of people didn’t kinda get the significance….. my auld man hit the fuc$in roof.. proper ragin… I know at least two people who’ve never gone back to Ibrox., me I was just waiting for him to do the business for us … wen he scored against them.. I was a smug fucker for weeks…..

The signing of Johnston absolutely ruined them.

It showed them we could sign who we wanted and that we were without question the biggest club in the land.

Catholic? We’ll sign him.
Scottish Catholic? We’ll sign him.
Scottish Catholic who played for Celtic? We’ll sign him.
Scottish Catholic who played for Celtic and was on the cusp of returning to them? We’ll sign him.

Bringing Johnston to the club was a statement.

We are Rangers. We’ll sign who we want and there’s not a thing you can do about it. We are everywhere.

A bit before my time i was only a kid, but how good was he for us? Goal scoring record seems great from what I have seen.

Fantastic player and a historic moment for us signing the first open RC in about 80 years prior to that moment. Still annoys me his goal at Ibrox in the 4-4 in a way salvaged a point which won them the league but considering his goals for us I’ll let that incident slide

Watched the highlights of that game today.
That 88th minute winner I dont believe a single one of us in that stadium never celebrated that GIRUY moment.
Mo signing set that mob back years.

The fans who gave up their season tickets when he signed were the losers missing out seeing a great team back then.

Wasn't it fans paid to burn the previous season's season tickets?

Remember it like it was yesterday.
Souness had given us all a clue about a surprise big signing in advance and boy did he deliver what he promised.
To this day and beyond they have never got over it and they never will.
There were many doubters about Mo playing for us but a lot of that was soon forgotten when he scored a late winner in his first Old Firm game.
He proved to be a clever signing and as I said he still lives in their heads and always will.
Wasn't his first old firm game mate. We drew 1 each in his first one which was at parkhead. He missed 3 really good chances in that game, which they were all lapping up and saying what a waste of money etc. He scored a last minute winner against celtic in the next game at Ibrox, them another in the 3 nil win against them at Ibrox same season. The following season He scored an excellent lob against them at parkhead when we won. To quote the original thread, he was an excellent player, mccoist and Johnston were the scotland partnership as well yesterday did so well for qualification for Italia 90. I was about 13 so remember being happy from a football perspective though I do remember a lot not being happy due to religion, I was too young to understand the physchological impact it had on Celtic. I do remember him being paraded around by Billy mcneill as a celtic signing like the week before lol.

I was about 16/17. Totally gutted at the time, but it was profound. I had a dilemma, I hated the d.f.b., and loved Rangers. By the time the first preseason friendly came round I knew I loved Rangers more, and off to Airdrie I went.
I, as all others, grew up and realised what a great player our man Maurice was. Once he scored that 88th min winner v them, it was all sorted, he knifed them in the heart the next twisted it that day.

I detest the man to this day, my skin crawls every time i hear his name. I was living in England for a few years by this point, in hospital accommodation where at least 50% of my neighbours were Irish and RC, some of whom were wonderful people. A fantastic time in my life which i look back on with fond memories. So it was never about religion for me.

I just pity the man and all associated with him, that he had that little respect for his upbringing and culture. I would never sell my family or thier history down the river for a few quid, like that pervert did.

I would never have stopped following Rangers, no one man, especially a self centred narcissistic piece of shit like him would take me away from the club I grew up loving. But I won't lie, something did die for me that day that will never come back. I guess it was simpler times where i thought loyalty meant something.

I detest the man to this day, my skin crawls every time i hear his name. I was living in England for a few years by this point, in hospital accommodation where at least 50% of my neighbours were Irish and RC, some of whom were wonderful people. A fantastic time in my life which i look back on with fond memories. So it was never about religion for me.

I just pity the man and all associated with him, that he had that little respect for his upbringing and culture. I would never sell my family or thier history down the river for a few quid, like that pervert did.

I would never have stopped following Rangers, no one man, especially a self centred narcissistic piece of shit like him would take me away from the club I grew up loving. But I won't lie, something did die for me that day that will never come back. I guess it was simpler times where i thought loyalty meant something.
I'm genuinely wound up and upset just thinking about it. Too much coffee this evening, perhaps! Guess that shows the extent of my feelings about it, thirty odd years on. Might be time to go to bed for me.

I'm genuinely wound up and upset just thinking about it. Too much coffee this evening, perhaps! Guess that shows the extent of my feelings about it, thirty odd years on. Might be time to go to bed for me.

Your not the bloke that changed that bit of graffiti from No Surrender to Mo Surrender perchance ?

Back