The support need to back the team more-yesterday was dire.

Sorry, but using the Ibrox disaster in argument against safe standing is very poor. It's not even close to the same thing. In fact,there is probably more chance of crushing and injuries in an all seated stadium than a safe standing one.

Im just giving a reason i wasn't born when it happened but i know my dad after discussing it with him is against it fully against it the age group that witnessed it generally the majority will be against it not all but most - the board did into that age group.

However i will say that there is less chance of crushing with an all seated stadium than an all standing section.

Bar a few games a season, home matches are absolutely brutal. Atmosphere wise, really poor.

Thursday should be a bit better, in spells.

But roll on Sunday.

Away, games loyal.

These threads solve nothing, it really only gives an opportunity for folk to moan about the moaners.

There's a sad minority at Ibrox who should probably give it up as they are incapable of controlling themselves and see hurling abuse as the best way to deal with whatever is happening on the park. There's no excuses or reasoning with these people, they see a crowd and want to tell us all how much they care and that's why they are boo'ing, hurling abuse etc.

As for people leaving early? People need to get over it, it is what it is and folk will have their reasons no matter if anyone agrees or not.

For example I had to leave on 83 minutes as had to go and catch a train to collect my wee girl. If anyone has issue with me leaving 7 minutes early then that's fine, but I couldn't care less as I had something I had to do.

Had to queue to get into the subway though which was annoying and did notice the Louden was rammed.

SG has been around football for years and played in far more bigger games and at a higher level than we have.

He knows the impact - positive and negative - that a crowd can have on a team. He asks us repeatedly to provide an atmosphere and to 'get the place rocking'. He's having to do that because it's not an automatic thing that our home fans do.

For christ sake - give the man what he wants and we can all work together to achieve the best we can get. Surely to f.uck that's what we all want ??!!

guy in front of me booed at half time ffs he got pelters for it mind you but there is too many guys who go simply to moan about every single thing instead of backing the team.

So the conclusion is we don’t have it in us because it’s always been that way? Nobody can really be arsed that much? Why increase our teams chances of succeeding when you can just sit in silence or hurl abuse?

Doesn’t that embarrass folk?

I'd say it doesn't embarrass the folk that do it, as they continue to do it most weeks.

Actually, there was an incident in GE versus Legia where a guy was going tonto at fellow fans for "shiteing it fae the Poles as yez were aw shitebags" as he put it. Got chinned by the boy in front of me, he sat in a huff for the rest of the match and has been quiet in berating everyone and anyone since, so assume that's one person at least.

Because hes asked the fans to have the place rocking various times this season

I agree that would indicate he has not been too impressed with the atmosphere. I was hoping from your previous comment that he had maybe been expressing these concerns to others in the club with a view to doing something about it.

SG has been around football for years and played in far more bigger games and at a higher level than we have.

He knows the impact - positive and negative - that a crowd can have on a team. He asks us repeatedly to provide an atmosphere and to 'get the place rocking'. He's having to do that because it's not an automatic thing that our home fans do.

For christ sake - give the man what he wants and we can all work together to achieve the best we can get. Surely to f.uck that's what we all want ??!!
You'd agree then that the team has to be braver, too?

You'd agree then that the team has to be braver, too?
Yes - of course. But we are all on this together. Fans and players all have their part to play. To get success there needs to be a strength and unity on and off the park. Only that way will it all come together.

We simply can't continue to adopt the sit back, arms folded "entertain me" attitude.

SG - quite rightly - clearly isn't impressed with our backing at home - it must have come as a shock to him that 50,000 can be so quiet and non vocal/supportive in their backing. We need to change that..

Yes - of course. But we are all on this together. Fans and players all have their part to play. To get success there needs to be a strength and unity on and off the park. Only that way will it all come together.

We simply can't continue to adopt the sit back, arms folded "entertain me" attitude.

SG - quite rightly - clearly isn't impressed with our backing at home - it must have come as a shock to him that 50,000 can be so quiet and non vocal/supportive in their backing. We need to change that..

I'd like there to be more atmosphere in the stadium but the reality is the old have a few drinks, go to the game and sing and chant yourself hoarse for ninety minutes that I grew up with has gone, Bb. Folk and society are different now and we stupidly surrendered our best songs rather than adapt them.
It's just not coming back organically.
The UBs are our best hope now but the woefully unprofessional, sixties boolin' club approach to our image management has dented that.
The club needs a professional but street-savvy, clued-up believer as CEO.

The defeatist mentality from the support against Celtic the other week worries me even more.

The support turn up when they can be arsed (for the big games) yet would go mental if or when the players do the same.

Last edited:
Can I pose a question?

In all honesty, who thinks that the season ticket numbers would've declined significantly if the board hadn't appointed Stevie? I tend to think that if they hadn't dipped immediately, another 'lesser light' appointment or trophyless season of mediocrity would have seen the numbers tank.

I've been attending Ibrox for 35 plus years and had a season ticket for 32 and have to admit that attending games in the recent past has been a bit of a chore. I go through loyalty and to a lesser extent habit and whilst I hope to be entertained I don't expect it, necessarily. Seeing good players still excites me enough to go along but I will concede that watching the standard of player we have these days can be a bit trying. The atmosphere has definitely diminished as a result of the incessant attack on the legitimacy of our songbook. The whys and wherefores of what is sung is a complex issue and depending on your point of view as to what is deemed appropriate from a Rangers fan's perspective, either at home or away, no doubt informs the atmosphere at Ibrox.

In my time following Rangers, the atmosphere has normally been dictated by two things - the size and importance of the game at hand or the opportunity to sing 'cultural' songs primarily as a way of relieving the pressure of daily life.

Sometimes the two go hand in hand. But for the vast majority of the time at Ibrox, they don't. I genuinely don't see a solution to this in the short to medium term.

I understand the passion, I get the desire to see success and I fully understand the play can be frustrating at times.

However what's the point of berating individuals from the kick off and moaning and groaning through 90 mins?

It is at epidemic proportions and around me yesterday in the Main Stand there was everything from disagreements as Bears tried to get frankly idiots to give it a rest to scuffles where stewards were called.

We can't win games for the team but we don't need to make it harder for them. Nobody expects everyone to be happy clappy and we can all at times get frustrated and vocalise it but for 90 mins, constantly?

Yesterday was dire it would put you off going and I fear it will only get worse. People need to grow up and ask themselves what good are they doing?
You should have been in the Ibrox Bar Benidorm there was some atmosphere there lol.

Nothing constructive has been done for over 20 years to provide a better solution to the poor atmosphere at Ibrox. I find that deeply depressing.

And I don't see the current board looking to do anything to improve things. I think they prefer the 'sit down,shut up' approach that has existed for the past two or three decades.

Op you are talking about supporting the team yet on another thread you are going on about how Barker looked way out his depth on Saturday, which is nonsense in itself.

Not showing much support there are you ?

Theres a few reasons for this a lot of the people who want a standing section dont remember the Ibrox disaster or werent born its the reason we had an all seater stadium before most of the uk if not the one of the first.

The standing section is muted for union bears but they dont help the case with song choices and petulant statements - now the current song issue is not all their fault but theres an element in the UBs that will sing what they want as the is the rest of stadium.

Its a balance there needs to be proper engagement between the board and UBs and there needs to be the a relaxing of attitudes on the boards side but also on the UBs to take responsibility for their actions.

Wither it will help the atmosphere i don't know it's always been the same under Smith some games x are like watching paint dry when teams come and sit in.

We in a way were soiled coming up through the divisions as the at that point there w generally always goals and something to get the crowd going with no pressure of nine in a row coming
It wasn't standing that caused the disaster. It was the exits and the steep stairway. The old pictures posted on here recently of the position of the gates before the copland was pulled down,showed just how high and steep it was

If you have read any of his books you will know that SG is kind of into fan culture and the terrace vibe. He refers to it many times and how he loves it and how it can help teams. He is a football fan and wants to see the support display their passion in a positive way and to create a constructive atmosphere within the stadium.

We are failing massively in this.

who remembers the poster that came up with the idea of rangers locking the doors once the game had kicked off and not opening them again until full time. He even went as far as to say that if you needed out early, you had to show valid proof of your reason for wanting away early lol

If you have read any of his books you will know that SG is kind of into fan culture and the terrace vibe. He refers to it many times and how he loves it and how it can help teams. He is a football fan and wants to see the support display their passion in a positive way and to create a constructive atmosphere within the stadium.

We are failing massively in this.

I'm pretty sure he applauded the Legia fans at the end of the game

The problems across the whole country, not just Ibrox, is that people who go to football, often know nothing about football.
A guy next to me just shouts give it to Tav no matter who has the ball. A guy two in front of me abuses McGregor at every chance, he almost took a heart attack last season when he played it short and never went long to chase an 8th against Motherwell.

I will be honest, I'm a 3 points guy and quite frankly if we get 3 points every week till the end of the season and deliver a league, I won't be sitting thinking we struggled against Livingston in September..

I get people like fast flowing entertaining Barcelona type football but we are not going to get that and I know I will get hit with "oh should we just accept it" replies but honestly, I get entertainment and a buzz out of winning games which will ultimately lead to winning trophies.

The defeatist mentality from the support against Celtic worries me even more.

The support turn up when they can be arsed (for the big games) yet would go mental if or when the players do the same.
I think the support's defeatist mentality against them is largely because of the players 'turning up when they can be arsed'. How many times will we have to lose to that shower before you see that?
They turn up 'knowing' they'll win, we go into it hoping for the best.
Professionals, across the board, deliver a consistency of performance, they can be depended on to do that, that's why they are recognised as pros. Our mentality remains brittle.

I don't think I ever once, back in the 70's and 80's, hear anybody pissing and moaning in the pub about the support pissing and moaning at the ground, and I remember the players getting dog's abuse regularly. Maybe the poor wee souls can dip into their 10-20k a week pay packets and buy some handy handies if it's traumatizing them that much (which I doubt).
THEY ARE only human like the rest of us,I don't think anybody would perform well at their work if a few thousand punters were standing round them moaning and telling them how Shiite they are.

I think the support's defeatist mentality against them is largely because of the players 'turning up when they can be arsed'. How many times will we have to lose to that shower before you see that?
They turn up 'knowing' they'll win, we go into it hoping for the best.
Professionals, across the board, deliver a consistency of performance, they can be depended on to do that, that's why they are recognised as pros. Our mentality remains brittle.

I don't agree with this to be honest, the support have a part to play in games too.

Against Celtic the atmosphere before a ball was kicked was shite and it lacked the intensity of the 2 at Ibrox last season where the team fed off it and the Celtic players were clearly intimidated.

Too many went into that game complacent and predicting an easy win, whereas we've been used to being the underdog in recent years.

THEY ARE only human like the rest of us,I don't think anybody would perform well at their work if a few thousand punters were standing round them moaning and telling them how Shiite they are.
They are professional footballers, we are not. Please stop treating them like adolescents.

To be honest mate you would think they’d be in “the zone” and oblivious to background noise but maybe not.

Can I pose a question?

In all honesty, who thinks that the season ticket numbers would've declined significantly if the board hadn't appointed Stevie? I tend to think that if they hadn't dipped immediately, another 'lesser light' appointment or trophyless season of mediocrity would have seen the numbers tank.

I've been attending Ibrox for 35 plus years and had a season ticket for 32 and have to admit that attending games in the recent past has been a bit of a chore. I go through loyalty and to a lesser extent habit and whilst I hope to be entertained I don't expect it, necessarily. Seeing good players still excites me enough to go along but I will concede that watching the standard of player we have these days can be a bit trying. The atmosphere has definitely diminished as a result of the incessant attack on the legitimacy of our songbook. The whys and wherefores of what is sung is a complex issue and depending on your point of view as to what is deemed appropriate from a Rangers fan's perspective, either at home or away, no doubt informs the atmosphere at Ibrox.

In my time following Rangers, the atmosphere has normally been dictated by two things - the size and importance of the game at hand or the opportunity to sing 'cultural' songs primarily as a way of relieving the pressure of daily life.

Sometimes the two go hand in hand. But for the vast majority of the time at Ibrox, they don't. I genuinely don't see a solution to this in the short to medium term.

Is it a case of there being too many people drawn to the club because of its PUL associations, who are only interested in singing that part of the songbook? There is a cba attitude towards other songs - plenty inside Ibrox don't even know the 2nd verse of BSOI ffs.

To be honest mate you would think they’d be in “the zone” and oblivious to background noise but maybe not.

Of course they hear whats going on.

Players often say the atmosphere inspires them after big games, it was visible in the last 15 minutes vs Legia, being the most recent example.

So if the fans can inspire the team it also means they can be detrimental, and sometimes being at home is more of a hindrance than a help to the team, and that really shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:
Of course they hear whats going on.

Players often say the atmosphere inspires them after big games, it was visible in theast 15 minutes vs Legia, being the most recent example.

So of the fans can inspire the team it also means they can be detrimental, and sometimes being at home is more of a hindrance than a help to the team, and that really shouldn't be happening.
You know the game is a bogey when Ibrox is more intimidating for our own players than the opposition. And that is very often the case, especially in domestic games.

I don't envisage it ever changing. There are enough people on hear who always say "its up to the team to lift the fans" and "they've paid their money, they can leave when they want" to make me think it's never going to change.

We have a sizeable minority of our support who are only happy when they can complain and moan. I think a lot of them post on here. Grumpy, cantankerous, miserable old men.
Not only old men. There is definitely a type of supporter who seems permanently angry and disappointed with life in general. The face has a constant scowl on it and 'fu£&in shite ranjurs ' is about the limit of the vocabulary.

Can't see any positives in booing the players,whatever age they are.
Who are you arguing against here, can you show me where anyone said booing was a positive? Let's not talk pish.
You think that a crowd of 50,000 won't include folk that'll react disproportionately?
Our players signed on to play professional football in front of a demanding crowd, you don't get the rewards they get unless you are prepared to accept the responsibilities, too and right up front in responsibilities is being professional. Professional in terms of level and consistency of performance and, I'm afraid, doing that despite unfair abuse.

PS - there was a thread on here that mentioned psychos, I'm sure someone worked out that there were 1,000? psychos in Ibrox every full house. Statistically, anyway.

Last edited:
Is it a case of there being too many people drawn to the club because of its PUL associations, who are only interested in singing that part of the songbook? There is a cba attitude towards other songs - plenty inside Ibrox don't even know the 2nd verse of BSOI ffs.
Possibly mate.

In my time, I've heard morons lambast every opposition player (including known bluenoses) for being a ***. There's no doubt in my mind that there is a proportion of supporters who attend Ibrox who see it as a vehicle to espouse their pul credentials and the football is almost secondary to them. In essence, it is tribal and fully about social identity. There are others who, whilst from a presbyterian background, are a good deal more measured about letting the world know about their politics and belief system.

As I said, it's a complex thing the songbook but it's self evident that it has a direct correlation with atmosphere, whether home or away. It'll be very interesting to find out what impact the recent sanctions from Uefa will continue to have with regard to the game against Feyenoord on Thursday night.

Waiting a couple of weeks to go to Ibrox just to moan at players.

Paying a lot of money just to be unhappy.

Sadly it will never change.

There’s a reason they’re on the park and we are in the stands.

It pains me to say it but we as a support at Ibrox often put our own players under more pressure than the opposition. The constant whining and howls from the stands at a misplaced pass should end. One thing we don't do either is to constantly boo and jeer the opposition when they have possession of the ball.

A nonsense argument.

If I paid for a ticket for the theatre or for a comedy club and started hurling abuse at the entertainers I'd be ejected. Doesn't matter that I've paid for a ticket.

You've been going to watch Rangers for longer than me big fella. These types have always been at Ibrox. I sat as a kid and watched some of the best players I've ever seen in a Rangers Jersey be subjected to abuse every other week, labelled shitebags etc etc.

The guy further up the thread alluding to the psychological aspect of these guys lives in general is spot on. I've no doubt these guys live unhappy lives away from Ibrox and Ibrox is just a place for them to vent some frustration and let steam off on a Saturday.

I get all of that but it is slightly different now with season tickets. Also back in the late 70's/ 80's under Greig do you think he would have got the same amount of time to turn it around in the modern day? No chance. Of course the atmosphere could be toxic back then as well.

I think what we've seen over the last couple of games is a lot of fear to go with the anger. I don't get the expectation on some players and how they are treated. Ojo for example. If the support is angry it should actually be at the manager.

But for me it goes deeper-the support have done wonderfully well to stick by the club in numbers why at this crucial stage when the team could do with a bit more tolerance do grown adults throw about such abuse?

We are in an unique situation in our history and in a crucial season I just think we could do a bit more-for some it's just shutting up.

There will be a time to cast judgement on things it's certainly not 5 games into the season however if we want to turn the heat up on our own we might just contribute to a cave in.

Who are you arguing against here, can you show me where anyone said booing was a positive? Let's not talk pish.
You think that a crowd of 50,000 won't include folk that'll react disproportionately?
Our players signed on to play professional football in front of a demanding crowd, you don't get the rewards they get unless you are prepared to accept the responsibilities, too and right up front in responsibilities is being professional. Professional in terms of level and consistency of performance and, I'm afraid, doing that despite unfair abuse.

PS - there was a thread on here that mentioned psychos, I'm sure someone worked out that there were 1,000? psychos in Ibrox every full house. Statistically, anyway.
You seemed to be alluding to the fact that because they are well paid they should be able to accept abuse,which to quote your phrase is pish.

Safe standing needs backing from the board and the UB moved into the middle of the Broomloan that’s when the atmosphere will be much better. Until then it’ll stay like this especially when your main supporters group that creates the atmosphere is stuck in a corner that prevents noise from travelling around the stadium well. Kicked out of the Copland Rear years ago and they’re still stuck in BF1.

Back