The three reasons Rangers fans have fallen out of love with the Scotland national team

I agree with the ‘it’s our country too’ stance. As I’ve said in similar threads, we give tartan army types exactly what they want if we disassociate from our own national team and allow ourselves to be ostracised. I am a proud Scot and Brit and thus I naturally support Scotland in sports competitions. It’s nice to have our country to support in a football tournament for once! Just enjoy it Bears. Bursting for Nathan and Billy to do well.
The Rangers supporting Scotland fans should try to sit in the same area as each other at Hampden.

It'll be an absolute nationalist wankfest if they manage to win one game. Sturgeon will be pictured watching the game and doing her little fist pump thing she does. She'll probably get the shouty woman who's supposedly Finance Minister to demand that England gift them a couple of their goals as a Barnett Consequential.

Bonnyloyal is spot,why the yawn comment??

How is he "spot on"? It's a reshared article from the Daily Record with no comment in the OP.

See post 40, where I qualified why it's boring. It would be helpful if folk actually read through the thread first before diving in two-footed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moz
The article somes up my feeling for the national team , but it more hatred I have now , and it’s spurred on by the fact the nationalist have clung to the national team , in summary I hope none of our players play and they get humped every game

It'll be an absolute nationalist wankfest if they manage to win one game. Sturgeon will be pictured watching the game and doing her little fist pump thing she does. She'll probably get the shouty woman who's supposedly Finance Minister to demand that England gift them a couple of their goals as a Barnett Consequential.
That there is no doubt.

The Rangers supporting Scotland fans should try to sit in the same area as each other at Hampden.
I remember going to a Scotland v England game at Hampden in 87 where at the end all the England fans battling each other on the stars of the east terracing, Chelsea,West Ham, Millwall etc
I do wonder nowadays if any other national teams have a problem with a particular club or set of fans

I support Scotland when they are doing well, definitely a glory hunter with the national team! I can't stand the tartan tits that support them so I doubt I'd ever actually actively support them at a game.

Not playing Derek Johnstone in the 1978 World Cup was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Scotland's top goal scorer that season, scored the only goals in the home internationals, and couldn't even get on the park in Argentina. Shocking treatment.

For me it's one reason and one reason only. The entire game in this country is now saturated with people who cannot abide Glasgow Rangers.

From the very top of the game down. The governing body, a cabal with an obvious "jobs for the boys" mentality. The national team manager outspoken and inflammatory against us and the vast majority of players who make up that euro squad, they all share a deep seated hatred of Rangers.

No surprise at all to me then that so many bears have turned away from supporting Scotland. The present situation has successfully alienated a huge section of the country and you would need to be extremely naive, or just plain stupid to hold a different view when the evidence of this has been in plain view for all to see. Not saying we just abandon the national team for ever more. At the end of the day this is our country and we are the majority but the swamp needs draining of people who put their own prejudices above all else, of that there's no doubt.

I don't think many actively want Scotland to lose. But as someone who used to go to Scotland games, I dont think I could go back these days and support them in person. If we somehow manage to reclaim the national team (reconcile/whatever) - great. But the bitterness from 2012 runs deep, and Scotland is as fractured and divided as I can ever remember it. That has spilled over and is reflected in the split over the support for the national side. I wish them well in the Euros and will be watching.

People are perfectly entitled to continue to stand shoulder to shoulder and celebrate everything they have in common with Sturgeon, Yousuf, Celtic supporters and all the Hamish Mcpumphers on their annual trip out of Auchtermuchty if they like. Just don’t complain when you hear what they really think of you and the team you support - they’ve never pretended they think otherwise.

Politics has nothing to do with it for me. I just don’t have very much in common with people simply because I am from the same part of the world as them and I won’t join in with the completely worthless and self-aggrandising “Scoddish” culture. Conceited, insular and self-indulgent creeps in kilts who have appointed themselves the funniest people in the world - no thanks. I continue to hope they lose every game they ever play 10-0.

Want Scotland to do well but it is not the end all if they don't.
The Tartan Army can go take a %^*& to themselves, the majority that I have met are absolute dicks and don't even go to football but see it as an exclusive club that is all a jolly boys outing.

ill be supporting scotland until its mathemetically impossible for them to progress, so until the 2nd game probably

It's got worse over the more recent past but I believe the SFA antipathy towards Rangers started in the late 1960s but was ramped up in 1980 when, on the eve of the bulldozers moving in on Hampden to begin a revamp, the Rangers Board put out a statement that we believed the money could be better spent elsewhere. There was an assumption Rangers were trying to put forward the almost completely renovated Ibrox as the new national stadium. The government then did a u-turn and withheld any financial aid and the work didn't go ahead. The SFA never forgave us for that and the coming of Souness and the English players later in the 80s only pumped it up further. Remember Farry's sour face as he handed over, almost threw, the Scottish Cup to Richard Gough at the piggery at the Scottish Cup Final in 1993? When I first started going to Rangers games (1969) we made up the bulk of the Scotland support but gradually over time it stopped, and I think ended for most in the 1990s.

I personally even back then was never that bothered by the international team. I wanted them to do win but I never lost any sleep if they didn't either, unlike Rangers. Now I just have zero interest and find their games a total inconvenience when it gets the league matches postponed. I wouldn't cross the street to watch a Scotland game.

I also agree with Contra above...I am not very patriotic to any of my various "homelands" (I have quite a pull!) and the idea that we're "all the same,all Scotch..." is baffling to me anyway.

Good luck to the bears that still get worked up about it.

I’m a former Travel Club member and wont be back no wish to be among them.

I could just about handle the lack of parity up until I watched people not from Glasgow dancing about Hampden singing and shouting all sorts about Rangers unchallenged around 2000-2005.

The whole scene was taken over by the weirdos that took stacks of SNP placards to Gothenburg in 1997 and handed them out.

To return to football.

The SFA and the clubs whose fans you stand beside attempted to murder Rangers FC and ensure you never witnessed a Scotland team with Rangers players in it. Ever again. That was what they wanted, absorb the fact and contemplate it.

Its done. Much as theres a section of Scottish society will never vote Conservative. There’s a section of Rangers fans that will never forget nor allow those that come after us to forget either.

That hurts, we are Scotlands standard bearers, but there’s only so far you can play the ‘be the bigger man’ game before you need to realise what they actually tried to do to Rangers FC. What they desire Scottish society and football to look like.

I’ve made this post several times, its not pleasant to write.

Good luck and enjoy the month if still wishing to be part of their team, is for you.
People come and go. Some people within Rangers tried to destroy our club too. You get rid of the people.

Reactions: wpj
Not playing Derek Johnstone in the 1978 World Cup was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Scotland's top goal scorer that season, scored the only goals in the home internationals, and couldn't even get on the park in Argentina. Shocking treatment.
When McLeod brought a past his best Joe Harper on instead !

Shocking decision and if there was a discipline issue before they left for the finals, as has been alluded to, why even take DJ if he had absolutely no intention of playing him?

Ally got too far up himself before that tournament, believed his own hype and got what he deserved.

as we cement our place at the top of scottish football the more players we'll have involved and support for the national squad will increase and maybe hopefully instead of being ostracized by the fans of parochial clubs will support the players as before

I also agree with Contra above...I am not very patriotic to any of my various "homelands" (I have quite a pull!) and the idea that we're "all the same,all Scotch..." is baffling to me anyway.
It's a piece of land where you ended up being born because your parents lived there at the time.

That's it.

I've never understood nationalism. It's incredibly stupid.

It's a piece of land where you ended up being born because your parents lived there at the time.

That's it.

I've never understood nationalism. It's incredibly stupid.
I hate most Scots, and indeed most folk I meet...but there are some gems. And these great people are not great because of where their house is. Good people, like minded people, aren't found based on what passport they hold.

The OP is bang on, the tartan trannies are an abject embarrassment and have been for as long as I can remember.

For me the issue goes back to when Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were managers. The former used the Rangers Captain as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies and the latter refused to select him.

The treatment of David Robertson was also despicable, arguably the best full back in the country and between 92-94 they gave him 3 caps. Don't get me started on their treatment of big Dunc or the booing of Rangers players.

Scotland and the SFA have been a fvcking sham for years.
The Gough one at the time I just took as issues with Browns loyalty to his pal Andy Argentina, but definitely remembering around then questioning why Robertson wasn't in the national team. Bizzare and stank of malevolence from the SFA.

I remember the Scotland v England games of the 70's... They were anticipated with excitement and nationalism each year... It's a different Nationalism now.. It's a bitter and divisive SNP style of Nationalism with eveything Scottish. The other BIG problem for me is that the Scottish team represents the SFA (its in the badge)... personally I can never forgive or forget the abandonment of neutrality they showed and joined in with the haters when Rangers were in trouble.

I want to see them doing well and im very confident they will, i know i would find it impossible not to want Scotland to beat England... it is funny though the way people start smashing feck out their bagpipes as soon as another poster says hes not backing Scotland and the reasons why they have lost interest in the national team.

I’ve always enjoyed going to Scotland games in the past . The Rangers supporters bus I used to go on years ago had a Wembley club and every two years they would fill the bus for the trip down. The OP is right though it’s all changed and although I still want us to win I don’t feel the same connection with the fans as a lot of them are very anti Rangers.
Same with me. Back in the day I travelled with the Inverness True Blues to a Scotland match at Wembley, and some years later to the Wales v Scotland WC qualifier (Davie Cooper winner) with the London RSC.

I just cannot imagine any RSC running buses to Scotland games nowadays.

Sorry I get that we were badly treated, which we were. But I cannot deny the land of my birth. Rangers and Scotland, that’s me, it has a ring to it, it has always been so.

Rangers supporters born in Scotland supporting England, vastly exaggerated, nor can I understand it. I do not know any.

I also feel having Nathan Paterson, Billy Gilmour and, of course, John McLaughlin in the Euro Squad helps.
Do you attend Scotland matches?

Admittedly I have gone back and forth regarding my support for Scotland over the years but recently I decided I won’t let no mark nationalists and plastic paddy’s stop me from supporting the country of my birth.

as far as supporting England, we were raised to support all the home nations. Although I stop supporting England around the quarters as I couldn’t suffer listening to them if the actually won anything lol
Don’t think you’re alone there lol

I support the national team, but I'll tell you something ... going to the games past few times has been easily the worst atmosphere and worst crowd engagement I've witnessed. No offence to the Tartan Army but they sit their like dressed like Picts (who got wiped out by the Scots?) coz if a f***king Mel Gibson movie. They sit and knatter away to one another, munching sandwiches and flasks of whatever - hardly watching the game. The various accents as well I find hard too, not because I've a proven with the dialect, but simply you feel like the only Glaswegian or as they'd say 'Lowlander' in attendance.

Haven't been back since that Costa Rica monstrosity.

I'll have to be honest here, unfortunately.

For a support that likes to proclaim 'No Surrender' too many are content to raise the white flag, piss and moan all day long.

How our enemies would love nothing more than for Rangers fans en masse to permanently sit on the naughty step whining on internet forums or even disappear. Stop giving these people what they want.

For those who feel a disconnect with the Tartan Army (however you define them) - there are plenty wearing kilts who support us too, which is often overlooked in these debates. I know several who are Rangers and Scotland mad.

Moreover, I've travelled all over Europe with Rangers and I can tell you there are some in our parish who I wouldn't have much in common with other than wanting the team in blue to win. But I'll still be there, supporting my team and having a good time.

Stop letting the SNP, parochial half wits and fans of diddy teams on a jolly dictate how you feel about Scotland. Again, stop giving these people what they want.

We'll soon have plenty of players in the senior international set up, via the under-21s, so I reckon those of us feeling a bit lukewarm now have a great opportunity to reclaim our traditional relationship with Scotland.

The Rangers support should fear no-one, ever.

It's our country too. Rangers and Scotland.

I support all the home nations in tournaments, however I can’t get enthusiastic about Scotland. The tartan army boo our players and that turns me right off. Not keen on ‘flower of Scotland’ either.

I went to almost all of the home games when I was younger but now I wouldn't go anywhere near a Scotland game as I genuinely don't have the same passion for them as I do for Rangers. The day Griffiths scored against England for example I couldn't even bring myself to celebrate the goal because it was him that scored it.

A lot of it for me came from the way we were treated in 2012 instead of helping the SFA continually tried to punish us in any way possible. The SFA might not be the team but there are so many Rangers hating people behind the organisation which makes it extremely hard to support the team. The booing of Rangers players whether it's for Scotland or any of the opposition players like Davis and Lafferty who were roundly booed in the friendly game annoys me as well. I will watch the games at the euros but win lose or draw I won't care but I hope Mcglauchlin and Patterson do well if given opportunities.

I agree with you. Hopefully the match threads when they come, remain full of positive Scotland fans. For those who don't support Scotland that's fair enough but it would make sense that they stay out the match threads, no point in them being in there if they don't care and just instilling negavity into it for all of us who do support Scotland and therefore have waited 20 years for this tournament, we are excited, so have an each to their own attitude and let us enjoy it.
Do you go on match thread's when Ranger's are playing. Its safe to assume people on here love Ranger's. Yet match thread's people spout all sorts of quivering nonsense.

The article doesn’t mention the hatred and vitriol aimed at Butcher, Woods and Roberts from the jealous wee angry men who couldn’t bear to see Rangers back on top of Scottish football.
Until then the hatred was of a religious type from the mentally challengeds but the Souness revolution triggered something sinister in the diddy teams’ pathetic supports.

A week before the country's biggest game in years - the nation is buzzing - and some tit for the Daily Record writes a piece for rage clicks that stereotypes our support. Regardless of your thoughts on the national team, there are a lot - and i mean a lot - of Rangers fans who still follow them. You can't just paint us all in a broad stroke like that. The guy who wrote it would do well to remember that Rangers have provided more players than any other for the country and will continue to do so, now that normal service has been resumed. It's sad, because a lot of folk want us to give up on Scotland, and some play into their hands.

It's quite funny, because the same people who claim not to care about Scotland also never fail to miss an opportunity to tell us that. When you really don't care, you won't feel the need to mention it at all. You will instead act with a removed indifference, not writing about or clicking on the thread. Someone used the term pity party, and it's right. There's this bizarre urge for some fans to tell other fans how they feel about them. It's small time as f*ck.

"But the squad is filled with Rangers haters". Right. I must have missed McLaughlin, Hanley, Jack, Patterson, McLean, Gilmour, Fleck, McBurnie et al all being involved in recent times.
A lot of Rangers fans support Scotland do they?

so I imagine when the Tranny Army booed Ryan Jack all you Rangers supporting Scotland fans turned to the boo bhoys and expressed your outrage?

you know, because there’s so many of you

Up until I was about 16 I went to Scotland games at Hampden and very much supported the National Team. This was early 1990s.

I started to recognise a few things that I was not comfortable with:
- Anti-English chanting was huge.. puzzling thing was people who I could recognise and see shouting for Butcher & Woods on a Saturday at Ibrox were then shouting about, “dirty English bastards” on a Wednesday night at Hampden.

- People who slated me for singing songs at Rangers matches that were about, “battles centuries ago”, then singing songs at Scotland matches that were about battles centuries ago.

- A clear dislike for a Rangers from the Tartan Army... jibes in conversation, a real stand-offishness towards anyone they knew or thought was a Rangers fan.

In the end I just lost interest in going to Hampden... once was gone then the interest in the team went. As we went through the 90s and the Tartan Army became dominant, and their general dislike for anything Rangers, British etc seemed to grow then I just turned off from it completely.

The other thing was, I like the England team of the late 80s/early 90s - exciting players and some Rangers players from time to time.
I had no problem wanting them to win. It was put to me that I “couldn’t” support both Scotland and England and so in a bit of a rebellious reaction, I “supported” England through the 1990s up until recent times when I just don’t have much of an interest any more, and don’t recognise half the players.

I’ll watch the game next Friday I’m sure but my days of caring either way who wins are long gone.

Do you go on match thread's when Ranger's are playing. Its safe to assume people on here love Ranger's. Yet match thread's people spout all sorts of quivering nonsense

Do you go on match thread's when Ranger's are playing. Its safe to assume people on here love Ranger's. Yet match thread's people spout all sorts of quivering nonsense.
Different thing mate. You don't get people on match thread's saying "I hate rangers, don't support rangers, don't give a feck about rangers, hope rangers get beat"

That's what I was getting at.

A week before the country's biggest game in years - the nation is buzzing - and some tit for the Daily Record writes a piece for rage clicks that stereotypes our support. Regardless of your thoughts on the national team, there are a lot - and i mean a lot - of Rangers fans who still follow them. You can't just paint us all in a broad stroke like that. The guy who wrote it would do well to remember that Rangers have provided more players than any other for the country and will continue to do so, now that normal service has been resumed. It's sad, because a lot of folk want us to give up on Scotland, and some play into their hands.

It's quite funny, because the same people who claim not to care about Scotland also never fail to miss an opportunity to tell us that. When you really don't care, you won't feel the need to mention it at all. You will instead act with a removed indifference, not writing about or clicking on the thread. Someone used the term pity party, and it's right. There's this bizarre urge for some fans to tell other fans how they feel about them. It's small time as f*ck.

"But the squad is filled with Rangers haters". Right. I must have missed McLaughlin, Hanley, Jack, Patterson, McLean, Gilmour, Fleck, McBurnie et al all being involved in recent times.
Mate I’ve been to 3 world cups a European championship plus over 30 games abroad following Scotland and enjoyed doing it but it changed for me and was sick off listening to hooray public School boys and girls turning it into a not as enjoyable experience.

I have many friend from all over Scotland and abroad fro Ralph the German to Antonio and his family from SanMarino who still never miss a Scotland match but the fun was killed fir me by the ruggerbuggers and co. At no time have I ever wanted Scotland to get beat and never will do

You'll be in a vast minority on here. Personally, i hope Scotland get pumped out without scoring a goal. F*ck the SFA and the Tartan Tossers who hate us.
I work offshore off Aberdoom and i can assure people on here the vast majority who are mostly from outside central belt despise us ,and are the typical tartan trannie snp fuds this has put me off giving a toss about our national team i feel the are a different breed to our support.

I'll have to be honest here, unfortunately.

For a support that likes to proclaim 'No Surrender' too many are content to raise the white flag, piss and moan all day long.

How our enemies would love nothing more than for Rangers fans en masse to permanently sit on the naughty step whining on internet forums or even disappear. Stop giving these people what they want.

For those who feel a disconnect with the Tartan Army (however you define them) - there are plenty wearing kilts who support us too, which is often overlooked in these debates. I know several who are Rangers and Scotland mad.

Moreover, I've travelled all over Europe with Rangers and I can tell you there are some in our parish who I wouldn't have much in common with other than wanting the team in blue to win. But I'll still be there, supporting my team and having a good time.

Stop letting the SNP, parochial half wits and fans of diddy teams on a jolly dictate how you feel about Scotland. Again, stop giving these people what they want.

We'll soon have plenty of players in the senior international set up, via the under-21s, so I reckon those of us feeling a bit lukewarm now have a great opportunity to reclaim our traditional relationship with Scotland.

The Rangers support should fear no-one, ever.

It's our country too. Rangers and Scotland.
But isn’t that the point we have 4 teams to support from our country so choose another 1 other than Scotland

I didn't stop wanting Rangers to win when the crooks were in charge. Neither am I going to stop wanting Scotland to win because I don't like the suits running the SFA.

I have no intention of letting the more extreme, anti-Rangers element of the Tartan Army stop me supporting Scotland either. I want the team to do well and I will support them.

Back