The World Cup play-off table

Northern Ireland have had a brilliant campaign so far and it actually seems unfair that they go through the hassle of the play offs when they had to contend with Germany!

Compare to the shambolic start Scotland made and the fact they could scrape a playoff despite not really playing well until the final 2 sets of fixtures

For what it's worth, Scotland won't be in the play offs!

Who's the likely opponents for Scotland in the play offs in the unlikely event we win our next two games?

Or is it just anyone from the full list no seeding?

Thats wrong, the seeds will be made up by the 4 sides who are highest placed in the FIFA rankings when they are released in October.

Was told by a guy in work this morning that new FIFA rankings will be released next Thursday 14th September and that NI are likely to jump a few places and close to fourth seeds in the play-offs.

About time Scotland reached a tournament but even if things go our way it's still a big ask even getting through the playoff let alone the next 2 matches. Hope I'm wrong but can't see it happening

Was told by a guy in work this morning that new FIFA rankings will be released next Thursday 14th September and that NI are likely to jump a few places and close to fourth seeds in the play-offs.
The seedings will be finalised on the rankings after the next set of games. Two poor results against Germany and Norway would scupper any chances of being seeded.

I used to be a SSC member for years, and followed Scotland all over the place and home games for years before the SSC even existed. So, I've seen all manner of glorious pure dead unlucky failures over the years. It's almost as if we invent new ways to be unlucky.

I was at the Euro qualifying game against Poland when we were leading and the news came through that RoI had fucking scored against Germany, quickly followed by Poland scoring.

Pretty much a typical Scotland supporting experience. That was my last game. Haven't been back since and not really missing it, to be honest.

Anyway, I still hope we win, but I truthfully now find it really hard going sitting in amongst fans who utterly hate Rangers, hate Rangers fans, hate Rangers players, or even just TV watching a team with 7 jump jets in it :eek:

There will be another set of rankings released on 19th October, these are the ones which will be used to determine the sides who will be seeded.

The seedings will be finalised on the rankings after the next set of games. Two poor results against Germany and Norway would scupper any chances of being seeded.

On the plus side the Germans and Norway have nothing to play for and I imagine any sort of result against Germany would bring a lot of ranking points.

I'm sure the Republic beat Germany under similar circumstances in the euro 16 qualifiers could be a good time to play them.

NI have only conceded 2 goals the whole campaign both away to Germany. We are no pushover these days. Very solid and well organised and a threat from set plays.

We think any Rangers players got a hope of breaking into the Scotland team anytime soon? Jack? Dorrans if he recaptures some form?

It'd just be like Scotland to finish 2nd but still finish as the worst placed second team.

Really should've tried to pump Malta the other night.

There will be another set of rankings released on 19th October, these are the ones which will be used to determine the sides who will be seeded.

The draw is now quoted as Tuesday 17th October, not sure how that will work with the rankings out 2 days later...

The draw is now quoted as Tuesday 17th October, not sure how that will work with the rankings out 2 days later...
I think they are publishing three days early. FIFA article says seeding based on rankings published 16th October. Will know the rankings anyway straight after the final qualifiers.

Back