Article There For The Taking

Excellent piece! Hits the nail on the head.

Cheers ally.

As said at the end, I didn't intend for it to be so negative as, that's not how I'm feeling overall. Very frustrated though and it definitely feels like the end of the road for a good few within our squad.

Michael Beale can't be judged on this group of players and I really hope he is properly backed.

Wee bump for the backshift.

Interested to hear people's feedback on the Morelos, Tav and Borna comments.

Do you believe we can win things under Michael Beale? I certainly do.

If we continue to play in the same manner and eradicate the errors then I reckon we’ll claim the two cups before the season is over, @LC 1872

Michael Beele made the biggest mistake, making substitutions for the sake of it. That's a failure in my eyes we can only hope he learns from that mistake. Might seem a bit harsh but it's in these games that decisions count. He picks the right team, motivates them at half time and then makes a monumental cock up 7 minutes from time.

Great article. They are not this great side that their media lapdogs would have everyone believe. I said similar in an earlier thread this morning. They got lucky yesterday.

Spot on about Alfie. A misplaced pass can happen. But the missed opportunities, especially in this fixture, comes to define him as a player.

Notwithstanding questions over application and attitude, his finishing over the years is likely the reason he’s never had the option of that big move.

Enjoyed the article - another example that the best and most honest writing on Rangers comes from ‘fan media’.

Great article. They are not this great side that their media lapdogs would have everyone believe. I said similar in an earlier thread this morning. They got lucky yesterday.

Thank you mate, we are learning as we go.

I was genuinely saying this in the lead up to the game. To my shame I watch them a fair bit and they have been scraping by in matches at times. Difference is they do have a squad that can get them through it. If we can back Beale off the pitch we can definitely close the gap easier than some would have you believe.

Spot on about Alfie. A misplaced pass can happen. But the missed opportunities, especially in this fixture, comes to define him as a player.

Notwithstanding questions over application and attitude, his finishing over the years is likely the reason he’s never had the option of that big move.

Enjoyed the article - another example that the best and most honest writing on Rangers comes from ‘fan media’.

Agreed. Those misses aren't a new thing with him. He has always been a guy to miss his fair share of absolute sitters. I think we could accept that given his huge influence in other areas of the pitch. He has sadly become more of a passenger this season.

Thanks for the kind words. It's very much trying to ask and write about what you think the support would want to know. Don't always get that right obviously :D

Michael Beele made the biggest mistake, making substitutions for the sake of it. That's a failure in my eyes we can only hope he learns from that mistake. Might seem a bit harsh but it's in these games that decisions count. He picks the right team, motivates them at half time and then makes a monumental cock up 7 minutes from time.
Lundstram had to come off couldn't run he got an elbow in the ribs. Agree Sands and Wright should not have come on.

Lundstram had to come off couldn't run he got an elbow in the ribs. Agree Sands and Wright should not have come on.

Don't think the Lundstram sub was an issue for anyone. Spot on about Sands and Wright. The manager has said Colak and Roofe weren't ready but that doesn't explain Arfield left on the bench imo.

Don't think the Lundstram sub was an issue for anyone. Spot on about Sands and Wright. The manager has said Colak and Roofe weren't ready but that doesn't explain Arfield left on the bench imo.
I thought Lundstram was having a good second half unfortunate to get a wack in the ribs. Right after that you could see he couldn't run.

I agree Arfield should have been on but I don’t think this changed the outcome of the game. Sadly we were going to defend badly at an attacking play cause that’s what we have done for the last two seasons. The alarming lack of fitness through that squad is shameful and was probably a factor in the subs. Tav for me just needs a rest. He has been poor in an attacking sense all season. Borna is just too up and down. You never know what one will turn up. Alfie….now at the embarrassing stage in terms of his lack of fitness and sharpness. We need to move on from him. He is becoming a millstone around the neck. However, plenty of positives. I think more than a few on here thought we would get a battering however, they are not the world beaters their media lapdogs would have you think. I think that’s 5 or 6 times they have scored beyond 80 mins to get points from games That they were struggling in.

Overall I still don’t know how Beale wants us to play, that is 5 games and I’ve yet to see a pattern.

Yesterday was too much of the old pals act, there is a reason Kamara for instance has been hauled off multiple times at half time.

Morelos has been a joke figure for 2seasons now, he thought he had made himself irreplaceable in the team then took the huff when we signed Roofe.

Tavernier if fully fit was one of the most influential players in the league, he came back preseason bulked up, we were told he was injured, he wasn’t, he needed a tidy up up, he didn’t, he was taking injections to play, truth is he was always liable to cost us a goal, fully fit Devine is more effective than a half fit Tav. Probably more than 50% of our goals conceded have came down Tav’s wing.

Borna was fine yesterday done what was asked of him, poor delivery though on a few occasions, can’t think of any drama down his side, even though he was wide open 2 on 1 with no support for most of the game.

Overall I still don’t know how Beale wants us to play, that is 5 games and I’ve yet to see a pattern.

Yesterday was too much of the old pals act, there is a reason Kamara for instance has been hauled off multiple times at half time.

Morelos has been a joke figure for 2seasons now, he thought he had made himself irreplaceable in the team then took the huff when we signed Roofe.

Tavernier if fully fit was one of the most influential players in the league, he came back preseason bulked up, we were told he was injured, he wasn’t, he needed a tidy up up, he didn’t, he was taking injections to play, truth is he was always liable to cost us a goal, fully fit Devine is more effective than a half fit Tav. Probably more than 50% of our goals conceded have came down Tav’s wing.

Borna was fine yesterday done what was asked of him, poor delivery though on a few occasions, can’t think of any drama down his side, even though he was wide open 2 on 1 with no support for most of the game.

That's an interesting one mate and not one I've seen before. Who would you have played instead out of interest?

Fair shout about Borna yesterday but, my point was more about him overall. I don't think he can take us any further forward and the way Beale wants us to play, that's important imo.

Our squads and depth aren't worlds apart. I think we will shine a new light on some of our squad over the next few months, good and bad.

We've had chronic injury issues for about 18 months+ now and that's hindered us. Barring a small run of injuries for them this time last year, I don't recall them ever having a huge amount. At one point earlier this year we had practically a starting 11 out injured which is mental.

Even with those injuries we should be beating St Johnstone, Livingston and St Mirren though so it doesn't excuse the results. It's just that we've never really been in a position to properly appreciate the depth we've got in the squad.

That's an interesting one mate and not one I've seen before. Who would you have played instead out of interest?

Fair shout about Borna yesterday but, my point was more about him overall. I don't think he can take us any further forward and the way Beale wants us to play, that's important imo.

His team selection was too safe. You can’t go in to a game against them carrying passengers.

Hindsight, but Tav, Morelos were poor, Kamara was anonymous in the main.

Was there an explanation to Lowry‘s absence ? instead of Colak/Roofe who may or may not have been “fit” but nowhere near match fit on the bench.

The key to beating celtic is pace and width to attack their defence. A Morelos of 2 years ago would hold off and turn CarterVickers and Starfelt, he wasn’t suited to this game.

Tav couldn’t get up and down the park to influence the game, Devine would have offered more.

I was one out with my team prediction on here before hand, but did say that a front three of Matondo, Kent, Sakala would get us further up the park and cause them more problems. It’s not all about what you do with the ball when you have pace, it unsettles defenders, Barkers role in Porto away is a prime example.

Last edited:
His team selection was too safe. You can’t go in to a game against them carrying passengers.

Hindsight, but Tav, Morelos were poor, Kamara was anonymous in the main.

Was there an explanation to Lowry‘s absence ? instead of Colak/Roofe who may or may not have been “fit” but nowhere near match fit on the bench.

The key to beating celtic is pace and width to attack their defence. A Morelos of 2 years ago would hold off and turn CarterVickers and Starfelt, he wasn’t suited to this game.

Tav couldn’t get up and down the park to influence the game, Devine would have offered more.

I was one out with my team prediction on here before hand, but did say that a front three of Matondo, Kent, Sakalaj would get us further up the park and cause them more problems. It’s not all about what you do with the ball when you have pace, it unsettles defenders, Barkers role in Porto away is a prime example.

Not sure about team selection tbh. I think he had to go with what he had so I was ok with the first XI. Like you I was one out (Jack instead of Kamara). Hindsight is also a great thing but, I'd be amazed if anyone thought Devine should've started ahead of Tavernier, albeit I thought he had a poor game.

Disagree about Matondo mate. I see your point but, him and Wright just aren't good enough for Rangers.

Our squads and depth aren't worlds apart. I think we will shine a new light on some of our squad over the next few months, good and bad.

We've had chronic injury issues for about 18 months+ now and that's hindered us. Barring a small run of injuries for them this time last year, I don't recall them ever having a huge amount. At one point earlier this year we had practically a starting 11 out injured which is mental.

Even with those injuries we should be beating St Johnstone, Livingston and St Mirren though so it doesn't excuse the results. It's just that we've never really been in a position to properly appreciate the depth we've got in the squad.

This is pretty much it for me. I wrote an article earlier this year about it, defending Gio but, at what point do we stop using injuries as an excuse? It has obviously hindered us but, as you say we should still be winning those games.

Not sure about team selection tbh. I think he had to go with what he had so I was ok with the first XI. Like you I was one out (Jack instead of Kamara). Hindsight is also a great thing but, I'd be amazed if anyone thought Devine should've started ahead of Tavernier, albeit I thought he had a poor game.

Disagree about Matondo mate. I see your point but, him and Wright just aren't good enough for Rangers.

They were flinging in their new right back for his first game in Scotland, yes he is a Canadian internationalist but so was David Wotherspoon up until he got injured last season. We could have played Devine, if he can get through an away game at Pittodrie he would’ve been fine.

I didn’t think Wright was too bad when he came on, the thing I like is he goes forward, his first instinct is attack, not turn back.

Teams get chances from the way they play out and pass out from the back, Hart and Starfelt are bombscares. Matondo running about like a headless chicken closing them down would unsettle them, they wouldn’t have been able to settle in to the game like they did.

Our fans don't 'love to hate' Morelos at all.

There aren't many players in our history that have let us down as frequently as Morelos has and yet the fans always gave him another chance. The support have had enough of his unprofessionalism and he only has himself to blame.

There For The Taking

My son and Grandson, amazing how folk remember faces, he gets stopped in town, holiday, shopping, are you the wee guy on the Billboard lol.

They were flinging in their new right back for his first game in Scotland, yes he is a Canadian internationalist but so was David Wotherspoon up until he got injured last season. We could have played Devine, if he can get through an away game at Pittodrie he would’ve been fine.

I didn’t think Wright was too bad when he came on, the thing I like is he goes forward, his first instinct is attack, not turn back.

Teams get chances from the way they play out and pass out from the back, Hart and Starfelt are bombscares. Matondo running about like a headless chicken closing them down would unsettle them, they wouldn’t have been able to settle in to the game like they did.

You are one of the few who think Devine and Matondo should've started (if that's what you are saying) and whilst I understand the thinking, I just don't see where either of them causes them any problems. I'm happy to see Devine come through and as much as i think Borna is done with us, I think he had to start today.

Wright seems to have split opinion. Some genuinely think he can do a job but for me he just isn't a Rangers player. No issue with his work rate and application but the guy just isn't good enough.

Our fans don't 'love to hate' Morelos at all.

There aren't many players in our history that have let us down as frequently as Morelos has and yet the fans always gave him another chance. The support have had enough of his unprofessionalism and he only has himself to blame.

I agree but, I still think a section of the support are grasping onto previous glories with Alfie. The fact we have no one there to properly replace him, doesn't help but , his current condition is a joke in my view. The guy has been in full training for Months, there is no excuse for this now. Looks at least a stone overweight and just isn't influencing games the way he used to.

Back