This current Rangers team has peaked. We're now on the slide

Game should have been over after the first half display but again we never took advantage
2nd half Roofe misses from what I saw a sitter then the Davis misplaced pass would have seen game finished but he makes a complete mess if it
But, we then gifted another goal.

I think Davis is the only player we have not to have missed a game due to injury, covid or suspension (I think nearly the entire first team squad has been affected). I think this is where we are struggling right now.
We simply can't seem to get any consistency in team selection & it's not 1 or 2 changes either it seem to be like 3/4/5 changed per game.
This team selection is what is hurting us when we don't take our chances as there seems to be a bit of disorganisation at times when things don't go our way

But, then again their goal came from Barisic playing a ball across his own area instead of clearing his lines with Davis then having to rush a back pass to Mcgregor who then tries to play out with a ball wide when nobody is there

That sort of stuff didn't happen last season (or if it did we weren't punished) but that is numerous games we have gifted teams goals not from their attacking play but our defincies in making the right choices as a team & we are being punished every single time for it

Take your chances you may not notice the gifting of goals but stop gifting goals & we wouldn't need to take more chances.
It's a double edged sword
But unless Balogun was injured I find changing partnership at centre half again astonishing

I don't think it's an issue of the team peaking. I have no doubt we can go up those levels if need be.

I think there's a mixture of arrogance and apathy within the playing squad. That simply needs resolved.

The lack of improvement to the starting 11 is showing I feel. We needed a midfielder of quality IMO.

A lot of jaded looking players out there today which is worrying in September.

The winner of this season’s league will be whichever side is less shit than the other.

Not exactly giving the fans value for money.
Nah, not having it.

You might be happy being four ahead of a filth side who have dropped nine points in six games. I'm not.

A filth side with a manager having the sloppiest start of any of their managers in twenty years? (The stats might be worse now after midweek and today)

I think it is a disgrace.

Rangers fans not accepting garbage?

That happens too.
I’ve already said we haven’t started well.
Some folk sound like they expect it to continue.

I don’t and I’m very confident it won’t.

The team is back to the way it was 3 of the 4 seasons Gerrard has been here. Inconsistent form and no plan B. We totally scooted the league when playing in empty mausoleums but too many are prone to hide when crowd turns.

Our shooting is phucking rubbish too.

As I said on the match thread, it’s the obsession with getting wide and crossing it that’s the major problem. It’s so predictable and fruitless! Needs to stop pronto

it’s a tactical problem not a team peaking problem IMO
Part of the problem is from open play we don't have the option in the box for cross or from across goal a midfielder to burst the net

Thankfully we are just getting started

First 45 was much more like it today, we will push on, there is a lot more to come from this team

After first 6 league games last season we hadn't lost a goal and scored 11, this season its 11F and 5 against enforced defensive changes haven't helped.

I’ve already said we haven’t started well.
Some folk sound like they expect it to continue.

I don’t and I’m very confident it won’t.
I sincerely hope you are correct squire.

We have let them off the hook big time this early. The points squandered like today should have have been money in the bank for when the really tough fixtures come in.

I feel there has been to many disruptions, covid, injuries etc etc

we were lucky last year with everything falling in to place

if things settle, we will be fine
This is what I am telling myself. I hope once we can get a settled side together we will be fine.

It’s obvious the hugely dusrupted pre season is costing us,
But I do think things will improve a fair bit, and despite us being miles and miles below our best, we are still top of the league.

Thought we had a good first half today but we were devoid of ideas in the second.We are none too convincing overall and I think there's a few reasons.
Contract situations, new signings not hitting the ground running(not convinced they are first X1 starters),injures and covid.
They are all factors but I cannot disagree with anyone who thinks we have went backwards.

It could be the team are a roller coaster rather than have a short life cycle (where I have held the latter view).

Arse fell out of it just before the pandemic, went on and won the league, now struggling a bit.

Players who actually improve the first 11, not a bunch of players that when they need to play you are almost hiding behind the couch.
Sakala scored our goal today and imo has looked lively each time he's been on. Lundstrum was one of, if not, our best player/s on Thursday against the top ranked team in the Europa league and Davis was taken off and Lunstrum moved into his space for a reason, he was playing far better, will come good in time. Ofoborh we've been denied from seeing due to a heart condition, Simpson has looked good and shaky in equal measure tbf but is still young and 4th choice CB and Bacuna got less than 20 minutes so guess he's shite now too as that's 20x the length of time required for FF to write our players off generally. Wright is a very good player imo who could develop into an exceptional one but his current position is as Kent's backup so what are you advocating, we should have spent 10m+ to upgrade Kent rather than get a more than decent backup for free? People in here need a reality check.

Today we were missing Helander, Jack, Hagi, Kent and on top Morelos wasn't risked from the start due to injury. Upgrading those players would cost a fortune and combined we value them at what, 50m+? We were up against a team today flying high, only lost once, on opening day, this season, who we rarely scud and usually always give us a decent test. A couple of defensively sloppy moments aside, one of which cost us dearly, we bossed it and created some decent situations. Last season was an anomaly, not the norm.

Up to about 60 mins It's the most chances I've seen us create in a long, long time. On another day we're 3-0 up at half time and even if we end up slipping as we did and conceding one this place would be raving at the performance. Better Rangers sides than this have had at least few of these in them per season. It's football.

People can say It's happy clapping but It's true. The line between a good performance and an absolute meltdown is so marginal with us.

Up to about 60 mins It's the most chances I've seen us create in a long, long time. On another day we're 3-0 up at half time and even if we end up slipping as we did and conceding one this place would be raving at the performance. Better Rangers sides than this have had at least few of these in them per season. It's football.

People can say It's happy clapping but It's true. The line between a good performance and an absolute meltdown is so marginal with us.
Absolutely a poor ball from Davis and a few good chances missed was the difference between giving them a doing and a draw. I been watching Rangers since early 70’s and this has happened more times than I care to remember.

I'm not convinced 4-3-3, playing through the lines, works in every game

I know we sometimes tweak it, but feel we need a bit more directness in our play. Its too predictable and the creation of chances takes longer and has to be almost perfect.

Take Joe Aribo as an example. Great player with tons of ability, but wants 5 touches every time he gets it when one or two might be as likely to unlock a defence

Decision making is slso dreadful at times. Just before they equalised we had a breakaway with 5v2 in our favour. Instead of releasing one of the three free men to his left eatly, Steven Davis holds on far too long before overhitting a simple pass to his right. Early pass, shot, probable goal

Final part of my rant - our midfield doesn't contribute nearly enough in terms of goals or even shots. We have been badly needing a quality attacking midfielder for 3 seasons and thr introduction of such s player would make a massive difference to our play

We should have skooshed that today. We played some very good football and utterly dominated the game until we gifted them a goal. The frustration for me is the lack of intensity and ruthlessness when we’re in that position. Our defence is so far from convincing right now and that means even dross like Motherwell today can’t be discounted from taking something and need to be killed off.

We are so pedestrian all over the pitch when a bit more pace and intent in our play would see us turning these teams over.

We are still relying on the players that have been here for a few years.
The team needs revamped very soon , mcgregor, defoe, balogun, arfield and davis will be away next season.
We need champions league money or we have a problem.

I'm not convinced 4-3-3, playing through the lines, works in every game

I know we sometimes tweak it, but feel we need a bit more directness in our play. Its too predictable and the creation of chances takes longer and has to be almost perfect.

Take Joe Aribo as an example. Great player with tons of ability, but wants 5 touches every time he gets it when one or two might be as likely to unlock a defence

Decision making is slso dreadful at times. Just before they equalised we had a breakaway with 5v2 in our favour. Instead of releasing one of the three free men to his left eatly, Steven Davis holds on far too long before overhitting a simple pass to his right. Early pass, shot, probable goal

Final part of my rant - our midfield doesn't contribute nearly enough in terms of goals or even shots. We have been badly needing a quality attacking midfielder for 3 seasons and thr introduction of such s player would make a massive difference to our play

The only games that we seem to change the formation for are old firm games.

Doesn't make us shite, doesn't make us bad but we are not the same side as last season. We're good but we are going through the motions something awful this season.

Energy, hunger, desire..call it what you want. Whatever you call it, we don't have it anymore. There is absolutely no zip to this team.

Failure(for whatever reason) to freshen up this squad is going to cost us.
Last season was always going to be hard to match! We’re 4 clear top of the pile and we will be stronger!

We are still relying on the players that have been here for a few years.
The team needs revamped very soon , mcgregor, defoe, balogun, arfield and davis will be away next season.
We need champions league money or we have a problem.
CL money will make it more straightforward, but we are also likely to sell an asset or two

Let's face it. Scottish football is more about sheer physical effort and intensity over skill. We lost at Tannadice because our collective effort was poor, and dropped points again today as we couldn't raise the tempo in the second half. Away at Dundee next week, they'll be in our faces from the first minute. We'll need to match their desire to win.

Sakala scored our goal today and imo has looked lively each time he's been on. Lundstrum was one of, if not, our best player/s on Thursday against the top ranked team in the Europa league and Davis was taken off and Lunstrum moved into his space for a reason, he was playing far better, will come good in time. Ofoborh we've been denied from seeing due to a heart condition, Simpson has looked good and shaky in equal measure tbf but is still young and 4th choice CB and Bacuna got less than 20 minutes so guess he's shite now too as that's 20x the length of time required for FF to write our players off generally. Wright is a very good player imo who could develop into an exceptional one but his current position is as Kent's backup so what are you advocating, we should have spent 10m+ to upgrade Kent rather than get a more than decent backup for free? People in here need a reality check.

Today we were missing Helander, Jack, Hagi, Kent and on top Morelos wasn't risked from the start due to injury. Upgrading those players would cost a fortune and combined we value them at what, 50m+? We were up against a team today flying high, only lost once, on opening day, this season, who we rarely scud and usually always give us a decent test. A couple of defensively sloppy moments aside, one of which cost us dearly, we bossed it and created some decent situations. Last season was an anomaly, not the norm.
Sakala has looked a solid 5/10 everytime he's been on the park, not bad not good. Just bang in the middle.

Lundstram was poor on Thursday, killed plenty of moves, refusal to send Tav down the wing countless times, he just wasn't as poor as he normally has been. Hardly a point worth talking about.

A lot of talking up Motherwell ffs, Motherwell.
Ofoborh obviously gets a pass due to the issues he's had.

Simpson, come on man, "looked good" :D How low are your standards for a Rangers centre half?

For the start Wright had made, he's really went off the boil, he was extremely poor in the European games, not ready for that kind of football

By all accounts we knocked back a 15m bid for Morelos, had countless other bids for our players. Maybe we should have re evaluated that and made some changes.

Our defending has got worse. We look like conceding no matter the opposition. The midfield hasn’t been improved and right now we are absolutely toothless in front of goal.

Over playing it, too many extra touches, a lack of penetration and we aren’t scoring goals.

Maybe it’s a positive so many are out of contract in the summer of ‘22 because we have become stale and predictable.

Let's face it. Scottish football is more about sheer physical effort and intensity over skill. We lost at Tannadice because our collective effort was poor, and dropped points again today as we couldn't raise the tempo in the second half. Away at Dundee next week, they'll be in our faces from the first minute. We'll need to match their desire to win.
We will pump Scumdee

Imagine having a shite start and still being top of the league. Gutting eh? Too many glasses are half full on this forum. Room for improvement? Certainly. End of the world? Certainly not.
I’d rather be honest and look to maintain a high standard though, it’s much better than the “yeah but Celtic are shite so let’s move along nothing to see” tactic many opt for.

We’re about to enter October and there’s still no real sign of us going up the gears.

Doesn't make us shite, doesn't make us bad but we are not the same side as last season. We're good but we are going through the motions something awful this season.

Energy, hunger, desire..call it what you want. Whatever you call it, we don't have it anymore. There is absolutely no zip to this team.

Failure(for whatever reason) to freshen up this squad is going to cost us.
Disagree first half we were very good movement speed control we just didn't score enough, the second half we were very poor.

CL money will make it more straightforward, but we are also likely to sell an asset or two
There arent many at the moment who would sell for big money.
It just shows that the biggest offer was for Paterson , in relation to the players that play week in week out for the past few years.

I feel there has been to many disruptions, covid, injuries etc etc

we were lucky last year with everything falling in to place

if things settle, we will be fine
That’s the way I see it. I only saw the second half today and we were poor.

I’d rather be honest and look to maintain a high standard though, it’s much better than the “yeah but Celtic are shite so let’s move along nothing to see” tactic many opt for.

We’re about to enter October and there’s still no real sign of us going up the gears.
Very reminiscent of SGs first 2 seasons.
Lets hope it doesnt get to that stage.

Why does the manager not know this by now?

Our decision making in the final third is appalling.
I knew they'd play for free kicks,long throws etc...........our players were not street wise today continually giving away soft fouls/throw ins so they could lump it into the box,a goal was coming and we kept providing them with opportunities.
Every player needs to up their game big time.

Think not moving a couple on and regenerating the squad was a mistake. Luckily the filth are in a worse portion and I have faith we will come good.

Brilliant observation. Here's one of mine in return, we're far off last season's performances.
Losing to shite like Dundee United and dropping a point against Motherwell is not league-winning form.

Yeah because our previous title winning teams have never lost at Tannadice or drew at home to Motherwell.

We’re not playing well and I hope we turn it round sooner rather than later but the hyperbolic nonsense is ridiculous.

Yeah because our previous title winning teams have never lost at Tannadice or drew at home to Motherwell.

We’re not playing well and I hope we turn it round sooner rather than later but the hyperbolic nonsense is ridiculous.
Hyperbolic nonsense from me? If so, please quote. If not, why mention it?

For me, the majority of the first XI have been together 3 or 4 years or so and they have peaked as a team and are maybe starting to go a bit stale. I also think for some of the squad, psychologically 55 was ‘job done’ and there maybe isn’t as much hunger there.

I still think just now we’ve got more than enough about us to win the league but I hope the recruitment team are beginning to plan to refresh the starting XI

Why cant we put together a 90 minute performance? Its a good half here and there so far this season. Today felt like a defeat after that mob losing.

Hyperbolic nonsense from me? If so, please quote. If not, why mention it?

Monkey magic said “Scottish football is more about sheer physical effort and intensity over skill”

You replied “
Why does the manager not know this by now?”

I am pointing out that the manager won the league last season whilst going undefeated and I think before today we had won something like 22 home league games in a row.

So yes, I think you insinuating the manager doesn’t understand Scottish football is hyperbolic nonsense.

Sakala has looked a solid 5/10 everytime he's been on the park, not bad not good. Just bang in the middle.

Lundstram was poor on Thursday, killed plenty of moves, refusal to send Tav down the wing countless times, he just wasn't as poor as he normally has been. Hardly a point worth talking about.

A lot of talking up Motherwell ffs, Motherwell.
Ofoborh obviously gets a pass due to the issues he's had.

Simpson, come on man, "looked good" :D How low are your standards for a Rangers centre half?

For the start Wright had made, he's really went off the boil, he was extremely poor in the European games, not ready for that kind of football

By all accounts we knocked back a 15m bid for Morelos, had countless other bids for our players. Maybe we should have re evaluated that and made some changes.
Harsh on Sakala imo but again, we've hardly seen him yet and I respect you're entitled to your own opinion based on what you've seen. I'm not talking Motherwell up either, I'm just saying historically we don't just turn up and roll them over, very rarely have. I won't go through every other player again as our views obviously differ but re Simpson I think he shows, like in the OF after his early booking, that he has promise but also has a big mistake in him too. I personally wouldn't be expecting much more than Jekyll and Hyde from a young 4th choice for a position who isn't really expected to play too often. If he was our 1st choice, then I'd be a lot more critical.
I just think people are expecting miracles if they think we can improve on the first 11 (do we even have a set in stone 1?) without major investment or spending when we are clearly working within financial restrictions. What can't be argued is year on year we have improved on the overall squad and some very good players who would walk into almost every other spfl first 11 won't even make the match day squad.

4 points ahead but should be 6. Stevie G is a top manager that would know to make changes so I can only conclude we don't have any money to buy new players. Maybe use Wednesday night against Livingstone to tweak things and give some other player a chance to impress that could make a difference

Forget for a moment we’re talking about Rangers.

When one or two players are off form you shrug your shoulders because that’s life and players go in and out of form.

When a whole team - by and large - is out of form over a number of games, that starts to point at a bigger issue. Whatever it is I hope it gets sorted out pronto.

The four point gap to the scum should have been at least six today. And seven or nine when we factor in the Dundee Utd %^*& up. We’re messing up chances to build a serious gap and put them under pressure the way we were able to last season.

Gerrard and the coaches need to start earning their dough again. We’re stuck with this squad until January so collectively they need to knuckle down and get it sorted out.

I do agree with the general point that we’ve possibly seen the best of some of these players, whilst some of those coming in are not close to the standard required to stand still, never mind improve.

Monkey magic said “Scottish football is more about sheer physical effort and intensity over skill”

You replied “
Why does the manager not know this by now?”

I am pointing out that the manager won the league last season whilst going undefeated and I think before today we had won something like 22 home league games in a row.

So yes, I think you insinuating the manager doesn’t understand Scottish football is hyperbolic nonsense.
So, he's choosing to ignore it?

Back