Thoughts on tonight

We struggle to break down these defensively minded teams. We need to find answers to that quick because we are going to face a series of teams whose only ambition is to stop us winning.

“ 3 points is all that matters “

im sorry but no it doesnt , as if the standards are not acceptable then the 3 points might not happen next time. We dont seem to enjoy this winter break period. Hopefully come right out the traps on Sunday

Without Tav and Alfie we need others to step up.

So far we're not really seeing it.

Ojo looked hungry when he came on, Aribo did OK.

No mach-winners or game-changers on show over two games though.

Was not pretty but it’s games like tonight that wins you leagues.

I still feel that the winter break is a farce. We had great momentum after that’s celtic game in December, that was 3 weeks without competitive fixture after that.

Small moot point but in first half thought could zip it quicker ball getting played across back goldson taking a touch first then a moment then passing across to barisic

Anyway minor grumble but Sunday is huge.

Tonight's game would get football stopped Ojo was one of our best players and he just came on.

Another three points but the break took away a bit of our momentum.

“ 3 points is all that matters “

im sorry but no it doesnt , as if the standards are not acceptable then the 3 points might not happen next time. We dont seem to enjoy this winter break period. Hopefully come right out the traps on Sunday

At this critical stage they really are all that matters come the 90th minute

Missed Alfie tonight and lacked a cutting edge. Difficult when they put 9 men behind the ball.
3 points - objective achieved.

Huge game tonight and it preyed on my mind all day, just like the Killie game did at the same stage last year. We badly missed Alfie and not having Greg Stewart available did not help either. I'm delighted with the 3 points but we will need to really be up for it right from the start on Sunday.

Slow to get enough people in the box when a cross is coming in. Too many touches around the box.

St Mirren were a disgrace. Time wasting from the first whistle, all 11 men in their own half. So boring. Hope they go down if that's all they're going to offer.

We need reinforcements in terms of creative forward players.

My worry is I'm almost sure we aren't signing anyone.

Keep winning 1-0 and we win the league!
But, tonight?
Playing Flanagan ahead of Patterson killed our right hand side.
Three holding midfielders is one too many.
Aribo played well but without threatening much, which I expect my wide forwards to do.
Kent played like a very expensive workhorse. Saw nothing there more than a Candeias performance.

3 points in the bag is the most important thing. We really need to get used to games like tonight as teams know if they come out against us we will tear them apart

The last 2 games we look as if we're still on holiday. The break came at the wrong time for us as we were flying. A win is a win though and I would take a scrappy 1-0 win every game from now until the end of the season. We will need a better performance on Sunday.

Thankfully 3 points.

Games like that, maybe Ojo to start, Aribo played at 10. We need some spark so perhaps Stewart at least as a sub too. Flanagan pretty pointless for teams that sit in as his crossing and attack threat nonexistent.

Very flat performance but we won. Really missed Alfie and Tav. St Mirren made very little attempt to play football but it's our job to break them down and thankfully one goal was enough.

Tonight should end any ill informed questions about Tav’s value to the team.

We got nothing down his flank tonight. Whole balance of the team looked wrong without him.

Last edited:
3 points is all that matters, however think we might need a better performance and energy level at the weekend

Three points in the bag from a game we would have drawn or lost last year. Results are all that matters. Win every game 1 - 0 and the League is won.
Not good for the nerves though

Delighted with another 3 points

Performance though was really poor, to be short of only Tav and Alfie and to look that far off what we can be is concerning.

Levels and tempo need to be lifted massively for the weekend

A win is a win is a win. Part 1 complete, now for tynecastle on Sunday, just get 3 points and through it again unscathed. If we can do that, we'll be in a good place to welcome our Captain and best player back into the fold.

We can only improve .

If we had lost a goal at the end there I reckon i would have been as angry as I’ve ever been watching Rangers .

I honestly thought the way we let them back into it was lazy and a bit worrying tbh

said this on twitter- points over performance for me every single time! am i worried we struggled to break down a team more when they had 9 men behind ball for 85 minutes? no not really, sure we were a bit devoid of urgency and tempo at times and not clinical enough but ill take a shitey 1-0 win every single game. There's also a shit tonne of football still to be played as long as we keep our nerve we've got this, i have total faith in this team :)):))

Our midfield is possession based. This is why we do so well in Europe and against Celtic - we keep the ball, looking for an opening and making the other team work. Allied with this is the mobility of our front three, who are able to take a ball in a tight situation with usually only one man to beat. Against teams that get a nose-bleed outside of their penalty box, we don't need a midfield three of Jack, Davis and Kamara pretty much in a line, we need one of them much more advanced.

This is exacerbated when we don't have Alfie. We can just play the ball into him and see what he can do. Defoe is different. He plays on the shoulder of the defender and uses his pace. I lost count of the number of times one of our midfield three picked the ball up, then baulked at the chance to play a through ball, which is exactly the ball that Defoe wants. Even against teams that park the bus, this type of pass, albeit harder, will still work and it's the type that got us the penalty against Stranraer.

It's also why we will do better against Hearts than we did tonight.

Back