Tillman - he’s the one

I think Tillman can be summed up as - "full of skill, but doesn't work hard enough".

No doubt someone will bring up his stats for pressing and winning the ball back, but if he doesn't win it first time his motivation to get back and help has to be questioned. When have you ever seen him busting a gut to get to a ball?

All the skill in the world means nothing without applying the required effort.

I'd probably keep him, but I'd make it clear he needs to play his part in the team.
Absolutely no idea where this pish comes from. Tillman presses and wins the ball back as much as anyone else. All the way back to PSV away for the goal.

Easy to believe though.
Im not so sure it is mate. Hundreds of players have come here and loved Glasgow, loved the buzz of being at a club our size etc. There are nice areas to live, the shopping/restaurants etc are great.

Only thing would be the weather but he is coming from Munich which isn’t exactly on the shores of the Caribbean

I think Tillman can be summed up as - "full of skill, but doesn't work hard enough".

No doubt someone will bring up his stats for pressing and winning the ball back, but if he doesn't win it first time his motivation to get back and help has to be questioned. When have you ever seen him busting a gut to get to a ball?

I'd probably keep him, but I'd make it clear he needs to play his part in the team.

Loads of times, so many I can’t believe this stuff is still being aimed at him as it’s completely untrue.

He scored the winner in the round previous to that. What you’re really saying is that no game apart from games against Celtic matter, he was excellent in the 2-2 draw at Ibrox.
If we are spending £5m on a player I’d like him to stand up and make a difference in the biggest games in the leagues and cups yeah.

People moan about how bad Kent is, because we spent £7m on him. He’s done the business against top teams in Europe and ripped the mentally challengeds apart numerous times.

I don’t want to spend the money on him and this time next year everyone is moaning saying we need more for him for the money spent.

He scored the winner in the round previous to that. What you’re really saying is that no game apart from games against Celtic matter, he was excellent in the 2-2 draw at Ibrox.
This is the mentality of so many of our fans. Only thing that matters is what they do in the OF game. Forget games like these and ones like scoring the only goal in the 1-0 win against hearts etc that are just as important

If we are spending £5m on a player I’d like him to stand up and make a difference in the biggest games in the leagues and cups yeah.

People moan about how bad Kent is, because we spent £7m on him. He’s done the business against top teams in Europe and ripped the mentally challengeds apart numerous times.

I don’t want to spend the money on him and this time next year everyone is moaning saying we need more for him for the money spent.
€5 million on a 20 year old with his ability in this day and age is an absolute bargain, mad anyone can’t see that.

I’m glad the myth that he’s lazy has finally began to disappear. There’s this strange notion in Scottish football that intelligent footballers that look for space and aren’t running constantly are just lazy.

He will develop into a great player. His ability to win the ball back is quite brilliant too.

My only concern is I’m sure Bayern insert clauses into sales of players like this that allows them to repurchase the player at a later date for a fraction of the value you’d sell to another club for.

Apart from PSV away, I can’t think of an important game where he made the difference.

The idea that league games not against Celtic aren’t important is absolute madness. Especially considering the reaction if we were to drop points in them.
Off the top of my head, he scored the winner against USG and against Hearts and Motherwell when we were still in a title race. We’d be in a far worse position if not for these.

Maybe for other teams but that’s going to be pretty much the majority of our spending this summer.

I don’t know the budget, but he’s an exceptional talent, the best young player I’ve seen play for us since Barry Ferguson and he’ll only get better.

You mentioned Kent earlier, he was 22 when he joined us on loan, and took a while to make the impact in games you mention, Tillman is 2 years younger and playing his first season in senior football.

The idea that league games not against Celtic aren’t important is absolute madness. Especially considering the reaction if we were to drop points in them.
Off the top of my head, he scored the winner against USG and against Hearts and Motherwell when we were still in a title race. We’d be in a far worse position if not for these.
That’s your opinion. If you are happy to spend £5m on someone who can do it against hearts and Motherwell then crack on.

That’s your opinion. If you are happy to spend £5m on someone who can do it against hearts and Motherwell then crack on.

I want to sign someone who I believe is our most talented player and who is only 20 years old so it’s pretty safe to assume he’s not the finished article.

I was scared to open the thread, thought someone was attempting a new RW themed song for Malik! ;)

Super talent, great age.
The difference when Alfie and Malik came on yesterday was night and day.

Absolutely no idea where this pish comes from. Tillman presses and wins the ball back as much as anyone else. All the way back to PSV away for

Absolutely no idea where this pish comes from. Tillman presses and wins the ball back as much as anyone else. All the way back to PSV away for the goal.
I don't know which Tillman you are watching but the one I watch is not as committed to pressing and tracking back like you put it, PSV is over mate, finished this time last year.. Base his overall performance domestically against the top end games and he's shown up for the lazy player he can be, don't get me wrong, he's fantastic player and fully worth the 5M. I just see a laziness in his game where he can do better.

In a comparison between Tillman & Kent, I’m not sure why you’ve brought up Aribo?

Tillman is being more productive in a poor league (at 20) than Kent is in his prime at 26.
Tillman’s doing just fine for his first season here, as a 20 year old he’s got a bit to go yet too. He’s got all the attributes to be an excellent player. I’m not sure if he’d fancy staying there, that’s the issue for me.

Kent on the other hand should be embarrassed by his output. An attacker who finishes like a centre half.

imo no more than 3m.

If he does the business in the semi against them and the final then fair enough push the boat out a little more.
No more than £3m for a 20 year old international from Bayern Munich with all the ability and potential he has? Good yin.

Also what he does in the semi final should have absolutely no bearing on wether we sign him or not - it’s a no brainer.

There's is no doubt he is a very good player but until he makes his mark against them and truly influences the game there will be question marks. So far it's obvious he has the skill but looks too lackidaisical at times against them.. 3 games to go to prove himself as the real deal.
Agreed.

He really needs to make an impact against the unwashed as it's these games ultimately that are the most important.

People need their head checked if they honestly wouldn’t spend the money to get him permanently. If he was Scottish and was our own player we would be valuing him at £25 million pounds with the season he’s had. To get him for £5 million is a bargain.

When he played against Celtic in the semi he never had the on field support of Raskin and Cantwell to link with until too late. Only a barely fit Lundstram and misfiring Kamara. We can’t lay it all on 20 year old Tillman, the only one Celtic needed to double up on as a threat.

Been rumoured on here from one of the admins whose got a contact at the Training Centre that he isn’t keen on living in Scotland.

I don't know which Tillman you are watching but the one I watch is not as committed to pressing and tracking back like you put it, PSV is over mate, finished this time last year.. Base his overall performance domestically against the top end games and he's shown up for the lazy player he can be, don't get me wrong, he's fantastic player and fully worth the 5M. I just see a laziness in his game where he can do better.
If he was lazy, surely he'd be coasting in the easy games. This argument that he is lazy in the big games makes no sense.

Also, by bigger games I presume you (and most of his critics) mean the OF games as he's looked pretty damn good against everyone else.

Last OF game he was clearly not fit. The one before he was pretty good, so really it's one game at the start of the season where the back 5 were literally taking turns at undoing our chances and the game was gone in the first 25 minutes. At the start of that game he had less than 900 minutes first team experience and his team-mates confidence absolutely collapsed around him.

I realise the caveats you posted so I'm excluding you here but that one game is defining his career for a sizeable chunk of the idiot wing of FF.

As above

Tillman, we must make sure we sign

The man is different class, build this team around him

Glad he’s back fit again
Agree that we should be doing everything we can to get him to sign on that dotted line if thats what needs to happen.

We will, however, only be able to hold on to him for a year to 18 months I suspect. He's that good.

Can't let him slip through our fingers the boy is a talent. He is a game changer and in our league we need more of these in our team, guys who take on and commit defenders sign him up.

And what had he been a MASSIVE part of this year?

Not very much.
So many of our goals recently.

Yesterday it was his pass to Lundstram for the freekick, then it was his running through the middle that created the chances for both the 3rd and 4th goals.

Against Hibs he also essentially created 3 of our 4 goals; He won the penalty, then he releases Sakala who crosses for Colak. And for the 4th goal it was again his dribbling into the box that creates the chance, and then he layed on a sitter that Colak somehow missed that should have made it 5-1.

You sure you're watching properly? Beale has also pointed out his defensive work as something he is particularly fond of.

Yesterday it was his pass to Lundstram for the freekick, then it was his running through the middle that created the chances for both the 3rd and 4th goals.

Against Hibs he also essentially created 3 of our 4 goals; He won the penalty, then he releases Sakala who crosses for Colak. And for the 4th goal it was again his dribbling into the box that creates the chance, and then he layed on a sitter that Colak somehow missed that should have made it 5-1.

You sure you're watching properly? Beale has also pointed out his defensive work as something he is particularly fond of.
He’s top of the list in our squad for ‘pressures’ if you buy the stats, which essentially means he closes down the opposition more than anyone else.

Can’t criticise his work off the ball.

Been rumoured on here from one of the admins whose got a contact at the Training Centre that he isn’t keen on living in Scotland.
Not saying that the admins source is wrong, and I understand that these things are passed on in good faith, but we've had info from admin in the past that has never came to pass. Can't blame him if that's the case, but I'll not resign myself to him leaving either.

I’ll give you his pass for Morelos to cut back for Tillman, you can’t seriously give him credit for a basic pass to Lundstram? Talk about clutching at straws :))

As I said, 3v2 yesterday and he couldn’t play a simple pass through to Sakala or Colak.

The amount of times he does a step over & is then dispossessed is bordering on laughable.

Tillman's goal is exactly what is missing from our team. Morelos with the composure to take his time and Tillman giving him the option to pick out a great pass. We usually punt a hopeful ball into no mans land with a limited success rate.

I hope this is sarcasm?
Have you looked at his stats

I’ll give you his pass for Morelos to cut back for Tillman, you can’t seriously give him credit for a basic pass to Lundstram? Talk about clutching at straws :))

As I said, 3v2 yesterday and he couldn’t play a simple pass through to Sakala or Colak.

The amount of times he does a step over & is then dispossessed is bordering on laughable.
Not just the pass to Morelos but the way he took charge of the situation in midfield, played a one-two, beat his man, drove towards their box and made the pass.

And the pass to Lundstram wasn't the easiest pass, he threads it at speed between a few of their players, after dropping deep to pick the ball up and drive forward with it slightly. He could have just played an easy pass to someone else but it was bold, forward thinking play and good decision making to find Lundstram in tons of space. I say bold because if he gets that pass wrong he would be absolutely slaughtered for it, yet there were many less risky/less attacking passes available to him at that moment. I don't think Sakala or Wright are making that pass. The Motherwell player that makes the foul ended up out of position because he had to move inside to help his teammates contain Kent just before he makes that pass.

He might get it wrong sometimes but I think that's to be expected for a player in his position, and like I say he's been heavily involved in a lot of our goals recently albeit just not often as the assister or goalscorer.

Unfortunately that's a sentiment you can apply to a lot of our players.

Back