Tillman v Aribo.

I loved Aribo and always will. That Seville moment and the minutes afterwards will stay with me forever.

However, I think Tillman has made a stronger start to his Rangers career than Aribo did, and will probably go higher that Aribo.

If Tillman continues on his current trajectory, he’ll soon be way out of our price league

Last edited:
Difficult to say given that Aribo had 3-4 years of development.

Worth noting that Aribo is 6 years older than Malik.

But Malik, right now, is showing far more about him than Joe did at a comparable stage. Even then, the way he was everywhere yesterday (and in a lot of recent games, to be honest) isn't something that Joe offered all that much.

They're comparable mostly in the sense that, technically, they're both superior players.

For what it's worth, in time I think we'll view Malik as the better player for Rangers and he'll make us more money.

I am interested in people's opinion when we compare these two players.

Is Tillman an upgrade?
Tillman is the better player.

A lot of Aribo was instinctive and off the cuff. Tillman knows what’s going on and where the ball is going before he gets it.

That said, Aribo was valuable in a number of different roles (Tillman isn’t ATM) and I loved him…could light games up with his close control.

I’d love to see both in the same team

Aribo developed into a very important and flexible player for us but never really had a fixed position that was his. He was one of my favourite players to watch for his ball control and ability to get into some turgid defences. His recycling of possession was crucial for how we played.

Tillman is getting better every match and has some similar attributes. I think he's the better player at the same stage of his career, and under Beale is showing some significant signs of improvement in off the ball work, recycling the ball etc.

I think Tillman has the potential to be the better player.

Aribo was older, had that burst of pace in midfield that we haven't really replaced but he clearly wasn't perfect.

Tillman has time on his side, ready this slowly please he doesn't have the pace required to be absolutely top drawer but has magical feet.

An analysis of passing stats which are very important will show that Tillman has a lot of room to improve. He also gets constantly caught in possession.

Aribo was a better and more important player for us but you are not comparing apples with apples.

Aribo was older, had that burst of pace in midfield that we haven't really replaced but he clearly wasn't perfect.

Tillman has time on his side, ready this slowly please he doesn't have the pace required to be absolutely top drawer but has magical feet.

An analysis of passing stats which are very important will show that Tillman has a lot of room to improve. He also gets constantly caught in possession.

Aribo was a better and more important player for us but you are not comparing apples with apples.

You’re absolutely obsessed with this perceived lack of pace but are so far off the mark with it, hasn’t he been clocked as our second fastest player this season behind Sakala or Matondo?

You seem to be keen to analyse stats, the ones that suit you anyway.

You’re absolutely obsessed with this perceived lack of pace but are so far off the mark with it, hasn’t he been clocked as our second fastest player this season behind Sakala or Matondo?

You seem to be keen to analyse stats, the ones that suit you anyway.
I didn't sleep last night thinking about his average pace.

There's a reason why he is here, if had the pace to match the feet he has then he simply wouldn't be here.

I haven't seen that "stat" anywhere but I certainly don't see the bursts of pace that Aribo showed for example.
Having way below average passing stats at the level he has produced is quite unusual but highlights the enigmatic nature of his play.

If this boy was ripping it up the way it is being suggested on here then I must have watched a completely different season and completely different key games he played in.

Aribo is the better player purely on his age & experience.
Taking nothing away from him but hopefully with the right coaching & if he's lucky injury wise & plays a lot he could be as good as Bellingham imo.

I didn't sleep last night thinking about his average pace.

There's a reason why he is here, if had the pace to match the feet he has then he simply wouldn't be here.

I haven't seen that "stat" anywhere but I certainly don't see the bursts of pace that Aribo showed for example.
Having way below average passing stats at the level he has produced is quite unusual but highlights the enigmatic nature of his play.

If this boy was ripping it up the way it is being suggested on here then I must have watched a completely different season and completely different key games he played in.

He could always get his passing stats up by passing safely like our other midfielders, then you’d start complaining he doesn’t do enough with the ball no doubt. But instead he takes risks, excites the fans and gives us some enjoyment. His numbers are also excellent or is that another stat you don’t care about.

Your continuous negativity in threads about Tillman is absolutely tiresome and you’re quickly moving towards getting put on ignore to be honest.

If were comparing Tillman now v Aribo in his first season then it's pretty close.

Tillman is a downgrade.

With Aribo we reached a European final.

With Tillman we got embarrassed.

Aribo was good at helping the team win the ball back.
Age & experience is a huge factor.
Do you honestly think we'd have done better in any of our CL games with Aribo.
Crazy.
Tillman can turn a game in a second just like Aribo could but Malik has bags of potential.

You’re actually repeating that shite on another thread?

He could always get his passing stats up by passing safely like our other midfielders, then you’d start complaining he doesn’t do enough with the ball no doubt. But instead he takes risks, excites the fans and gives us some enjoyment. His numbers are also excellent or is that another stat you don’t care about.

Your continuous negativity in threads about Tillman is absolutely tiresome and you’re quickly moving towards getting put on ignore to be honest.

I'm not negative about him. I have a more considered viewpoint. I totally disagree with how his contribution is being praised in overall terms.
I don't doubt he has special ability and at 20 he has lots of potential.

But people can't deal with detail in debating in the modern world-it's mental-I say he doesn't have genuine pace and people say you said he was slow-it's not the same thing.

Anyway it doesn't matter my opinion many of the same punters praising him will turn on him quicker than you can say Morelos.

Are you supposed to change your opinion on different threads about the same player?
Not at all but you stated in the other thread about needing “genuine pace” to become a top player.

Several posters gave umpteen examples of world class players that lack pace and you simply ignored it and repeat the same lie in another thread.

You have also been told about him being clocked at one of the highest speeds of our entire squad and chose to ignore that a few times too.

Nearly half of your posts are about Tillman not being good enough.

Either you’re a rattler or just don’t have a clue about football.
If money was unlimited, Aribo would be in the team.

Aribo was a gamechanger in important moments.

Tillman is a talent but still raw.

Not at all but you stated in the other thread about needing “genuine pace” to become a top player.

Several posters gave umpteen examples of world class players that lack pace and you simply ignored it and repeat the same lie in another thread.

You have also been told about him being clocked at one of the highest speeds of our entire squad and chose to ignore that a few times too.

I don't agree with the players mentioned -Aribo is not a player who you would say pace but he had a burst of pace over a short distance -most of the players mentioned had bursts of pace.

The high squad speed I haven't seen before but he certainly doesn't utilise it enough if it's there.....

I don't agree with the players mentioned -Aribo is not a player who you would say pace but he had a burst of pace over a short distance -most of the players mentioned had bursts of pace.

The high squad speed I haven't seen before but he certainly doesn't utilise it enough if it's there.....
Aye De Bruyne is oozing genuine pace eh?

So far I'd say Tillman is having a better first season than Aribo's first season with us. Aribo improved every season and I believe Tillman will too and remain a more effective player. I am an Aribo fan but Tillman will prove to be an upgrade.

Tillman will be the much better player. Tillman is an intelligent footballer, whereas Aribo can produce magic on pure instinct in and around the box but his decision making was poor and weight of pass too often all wrong and that’s why I’m not surprised he’s struggled in the prem.

According to 'Footystats'
Joe Aribo first season - 49 games, 9 goals and 8 assists in 3515 minutes of play.

Malik Tillman first season/so far - 34 games, 6 goals and 5 assists in 2275 minutes of play.

I said on here and on my supporter bus that aribo would never be a regular playmaker for any prem team, He improved the things he was already good at while here but the flaws he had were still flaws when he left and still are now watching him, When teams start playing one touch football he’s a lost sheep

Aribo is the better player. He's more of a physical presence and will win more headers and hold the ball up better. He can probably play in more positions than Tillman as he has a more well rounded game. His clumsy but very effective dribbles that start in his own half where he proceeds to take on 6 men, beat them all and slam it in the net... I'm not sure Tillman has that in his locker yet. Although neither player are quick, I'd argue that Aribo is a little faster with and without the ball.

Tillman is probably more intelligent though, tracks back better (improved a lot recently), keeps the ball tighter to his feet and is arguably more composed than Aribo. I'd say he has a higher ceiling than Aribo. He's very young still at 20 years old. I'd wager that, in time, Tillman will have more goals and assists than Aribo in his career.

Aribo is the better player. He's more of a physical presence and will win more headers and hold the ball up better. He can probably play in more positions than Tillman as he has a more well rounded game. His clumsy but very effective dribbles that start in his own half where he proceeds to take on 6 men, beat them all and slam it in the net... I'm not sure Tillman has that in his locker yet. Although neither player are quick, I'd argue that Aribo is a little faster with and without the ball.

Tillman is probably more intelligent though, tracks back better (improved a lot recently), keeps the ball tighter to his feet and is arguably more composed than Aribo. I'd say he has a higher ceiling than Aribo. He's very young still at 20 years old. I'd wager that, in time, Tillman will have more goals and assists than Aribo in his career.
Did you miss the Motherwell game?

Back