Time for Dave King to depart Rangers

Baloo_the_Bear

Decent article from Matt Lindsay

STEWART Robertson, the Rangers managing director, may well have been technically correct yesterday when he insisted the Court of Session ruling against Dave King, the chairman and major shareholder, would have no impact whatsoever on the Ibrox club going forward.

The soft loans which King has, along with other wealthy benefactors, been providing will certainly still be forthcoming. Funds will be made available to strengthen the squad too. The proposed share issue will also proceed as planned.

Yet, Judge Lord Bannatyne siding with the Takeover Panel and ordering the South Africa-based businessman offer his fellow stakeholders 20p a share – something which would, in the unlikely event they all accepted, cost him a cool £11 million - leaves both him and the football club facing an uncertain future.

Should King refuse to comply with this latest decision he will face further sanctions from the panel. The most stringent of the disciplinary measures available to them involves him being “cold shouldered”. That will prevent any company or individual regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority from acting on his behalf.

How could Rangers continue with a figurehead who is effectively a pariah from the financial establishment? It would do untold damage to the reputation they are desperately trying to rebuild following years of the most heinous mismanagement never mind that of their most prominent director. He would surely have to stand down.

Rangers need to be run by individuals whose integrity is beyond doubt. There must be complete transparency in their business dealings due to the actions and motives of many of those who have occupied the boardroom in the recent past. Can that be said of King in this unfortunate affair?

The argument that his legal team put forward to Lord Bannatyne - that he had no control over the funds in the New Oasis Asset Limited trust and was in fact “penniless” – was dismissed as being “not tenable”. The same will be true of his own position now if he fails to act as he is bound to.

The Glasgow-born financier still has the gratitude of the Rangers support for helping, along with many others, to oust the hated former regime nearly three years ago. He has done much to repair the damage done to the club since, including reducing the annual losses, renegotiating the prohibitive retail deal and appointing a much-needed director of football.

The vast sums of his personal fortune which he promised to part with may not have materialised – perhaps not surprisingly given the almighty mess which he his associates found after they had inherited after they assumed control – but the last set of annual accounts showed he had parted with £6.7 million to date which is significantly more than any other individual.

But would many among the fanbase mourn his departure now? The unedifying manner in which Mark Warburton departed at the start of the year reflected poorly on him and the rest of the club hierarchy. The appointment of Pedro Caixinha beggared belief. As did backing the Portuguese coach with around £8 million in the close season following months of alarming and inept displays.

The fact that King left the recruitment of Caixinha to others led to justifiable concerns being expressed about how the club is being run. Rangers need a strong and visible leader to take them forward following a period of complete upheaval. He is not that man.

In March King gave an interview which did little to suggest he had a long-term commitment to Rangers.

“Have I had any fun or enjoyment from being involved in these part two years?” he asked. “No. There is nothing fun about what I’m doing.”

It was hardly a positive and upbeat message. It left the distinct impression that he would be quite prepared to sell up and move on. But who would be prepared to buy him out?

King was one of just a handful of people who stepped up when Rangers was hurtling towards the abyss once again three years ago. It is difficult to see how he and the Ibrox club go forward from here.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...__but_who_could_take_over_at_the_Ibrox_club_/

He was a massively important part of our recovery in 2015 and I’m sure every Rangers fan around the globe is grateful that he managed to shift the spivs out our boardroom. However, his time has come to hand over the club to a new chairman, with a fresh impetus, who can hopefully take us back to where we belong.

Anyone any idea who would replace him, funds wise to move forward?

Getting absolutely sick of this,
Would never have thought that a board of Rangers men would oversee this clusterfuck.

There are a lot of factors at work against DK, under performing players and management which includes SR, haters stirring things, inept and corrupt SFA, SPFL and referees, hateful media presenters and bigots within Scottish MSM.

Yes sometimes he says things you cringe at.

He was reported by that fat slug Sommers FFS. A cuhnt.

I want him to stay but I want the board to be functioning properly but there seems to be questions about them all agreeing to things and letting people get on with their jobs.

Some of the board might have to step down and so might DK

I will always be entirely grateful to him. He had the balls to take on the spivs and the fat man

For me the far bigger problem is Stewart Robertson, he’s the guy running the club and is making an apalling arse of it. King being an absent leader definitely doesn’t help but if we had someone competent doing the day to day stuff I don’t think it would be as big a deal.

I agree, it is not the Chairman's job to run the business on a day to day basis. Neither is it the job of the main shareholder.

It should be the managing director, or whatever he is called.

He was paid £280,000 last year. For what.

King has lodged an appeal against that decision which his legal team expect him to win.

I wouldn't be surprised hes not a stupid man but the circus needs to stop.

Lets not forget Summers and the Brothers Grim or Dumb and Dumber as i like to call them have caused this.

If someone can show me a viable alternative with a stringent and strong plan that can take the club forward then I’m all ears.

I am by no means the board’s biggest fan at this present moment but I do not see where this alternative is going to come from.

We are going nowhere under King and this board. I've no idea what we do from here to fix this shambles

For me the far bigger problem is Stewart Robertson, he’s the guy running the club and is making an apalling arse of it. King being an absent leader definitely doesn’t help but if we had someone competent doing the day to day stuff I don’t think it would be as big a deal.

I agree and disagree.

The reality for SR is the equivalent of you being hired to be a brickie but your boss will only let you mix the cement, everything else he wants to approve before you do it.

SR clearly has nowhere near the autonomy to manage day to day operations that even Bain had.

Does that mean I think he could run with the ball if given it? Nope, nothing he's done tells me he could competently do this.

I think it'd be best for all involved if King stood gown from being Chairman, someone else took on the head of the board chair, SR's role be clearly defined and renamed accordingly, and a new CEO with experience running a football club be brought in to oversee day to day operations with complete autonomy.

I doubt it'll happen though.

Another anti - King story by people who have no time for the man... To all those who are saying Dave King and the rest of the board should go ( despite keeping us afloat with soft loans) Who should we replace them with ?

That's the question posed in the article:

But who would be prepared to buy him out?

There's nothing stopping the Parks, Letham etc either buying him out themselves, or finding someone to do so. You're looking at around 13 million to replace King - 4 million or so to cover his original share purchase and the 9 million he's put in, in loans. On top of that, a further 7 million would need to be guaranteed over the next two years to satisfy the account auditors.

So circa 20 million all in. No small sum I agree, but not an eye-watering amount either in the bigger scheme of things.

So because you have a dislike for the author then the views put forward by him are irrelevant? Seriously?

What if I'd omitted the author from my post, would you then agree with what's being said?

Stephen McGowan, John Greechan and Matt Lindsay have all more or less wrote the same thing this past week and everyone of them share the same love for our enemies. Don't be duped by some bitter yahoo!!!

If King went I reckon we would find it easier to get investment.He strikes me as a love/hate figure and I feel potential investors simply want nothing to do with him.
I could be totally wrong but that's my opinion of the man.

I think DK is owed a debt of gratitude from supporters. Talk like this - he has to go etc. - is a nothing more than a crude soundbite. How do we know what is going on behind the scenes? For all we know Dave King may be the only person keeping the lights on at Ibrox.

I’m with you mate. Until I find out otherwise I’m willing to give DK more time to sort us out.
Stewart Robertson I’m not so sure about,he seems all wind and piss to me so far.

That's the question posed in the article:

There's nothing stopping the Parks, Letham etc either buying him out themselves, or finding someone to do so. You're looking at around 13 million to replace King - 4 million or so to cover his original share purchase and the 9 million he's put in, in loans. On top of that, a further 7 million would need to be guaranteed over the next two years to satisfy the account auditors.

So circa 20 million all in. No small sum I agree, but not an eye-watering amount either in the bigger scheme of things.

They can't and they won't .

Dave King may decide him self that he has had enough,although I hope not.While we the fans have done our bit through these bad times it is King who took on the fat slug and all the Spivs, invested several millions,got personally sued and continually gets a bad press.
My concern is would any successor be able to handle the regular crap that would be thrown at them while being expected to continue to invest their personal assets.
I think the man deserves a statue at Ibrox as a nice get it up ye to the Clubs detractors

King doesn't need to leave. He needs to hire an experienced, competent CEO to whom he delegates all responsibility.

Robertson runs the club day to day but doesn't have authority to actually make any decision. It's a genuinely stupid way to run any business and I don't sympathize with the individuals who felt this was an appropriate setup.

King has made monumental efforts for our club off the pitch that cannot be denied.

He's out the country (not ideal in the slightest) so his second and third in command have to be strong competent leaders steering the ship day to day.

Unfortunately Robertson, Parks et al are not fit for purpose and need to be culled before we target King imo.

King doesn't need to leave. He needs to hire an experienced, competent CEO to whom he delegates all responsibility.

Robertson runs the club day to day but doesn't have authority to actually make any decision. It's a genuinely stupid way to run any business and I don't sympathize with the individuals who felt this was an appropriate setup.
Let’s be honest, we need somebody that knows what they are doing

Can't thank King enough for all he has done but he needs to step aside as chairman as soon as possible.

A role on the board is a more sensible position for him nowadays, we are desperate for day to day leadership.

My thoughts exactly The Board or Dave King don't need to leave they need to employ a CEO and let them (The CEO) got on with it

At the moment I think it's a case of better the devil you know,unless there is a truly trustworthy millionaire bluenose or a very honest buisnessman ready to take the reins

Sommers a fat spiv and a grass. The only corporate governance he did was to grass King.

He allowed untold damage to the company to unfold under hid tenure and the fat %^*& should be in jail.
We all know that Sommers is a rat but if King had heeded Lethams warning about over purchasing shares,
we wouldn't have this problem now.

Back