Time For Gerrard To Be Ruthless now

I give up I really do, are you serious? We had an off night but we’re still alive until The second red. FF full of would be managers and panic merchants.
Davis 37 next season. Arfield will be 33 and has a history of niggling injuries with us. Jack injury record getting worse by the season. Kamara will be subject of bids in summer imo. There are issues in there coming down the road that need addressing.

It's midfield. We still lack that 'something' in there.

Ideally a box to box brick shithouse with athleticism and ability to win and carry the ball up the park and score 10 goals minimum in the league.

Whether it time that's Ofoborh remains to be seen but we still need a physically dominant player in midfield for me.
jorg-albertz-the-hammer-scott-strachan.jpg.628ac13545075d6b7203922cddbdd8b9.jpg

I've said it numerous times on here, we need a big physical Viera type midfielder to compliment all of our other players and complete the jigsaw. They are hard to come by at any price but that is the type of player we need. whenever we come up against stronger/physical teams we seem to struggle a bit.
Is this not where Gerrard sees Aribo?

The impact of Covid-19 will be felt even by the biggest clubs in European football this summer I don't think we'll be much different.

It's probably going to be a case of having to make a sale or two before any kind of serious money is invested back into the team.

Qualification for the Champions league and winning the SPFL are the main priorities for next season anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:
If we were to keep all of our main players we have just now those are the positions I would be looking at as well mate.

Folk were saying Kamara being sold we could cope with for me we must try and deal him in and keep him.

This squad are legends for me and will live in my heart forever every single one of them but to move up a level for the champions league I think those 3 positions I said are vital and jack playing 20 plus games to compliment them too.

We’ve lost one game to a very decent side - hardly time to panic and completely overhaul the squad. Patterson has been a huge positive the past few weeks and we’ve a number of promising kids doing well on loan Added to that Wright, Itten, Bassey and Simpson to get plenty game time coming up. A new midfielder (shit, can‘t spell his name!) coming in already. Let’s look on the bright side, eh? Celtic - now thats what a rebuilding job looks like.

We’ve lost one game to a very decent side - hardly time to panic and completely overhaul the squad. Patterson has been a huge positive the past few weeks and we’ve a number of promising kids doing well on loan Added to that Wright, Itten, Bassey and Simpson to get plenty game time coming up. A new midfielder (shit, can‘t spell his name!) coming in already. Let’s look on the bright side, eh? Celtic - now thats what a rebuilding job looks like.

No panic imo from the op just strengthening from a position of strength and if we do we will win the title no problem for the foreseeable future and in turn make the champions league. We are only 3 players away imo and we will be unstoppable again.

Jack is now moving into the territory of Kevin Thomson for me in the he is a superb player but gathering more and more injury's do we try to sell him just now before these could potentially get worse or take the risk and hope that unlike KT when he left us that the injury's level out.

Even if we do not replace him we need at least 2 new midfielders as BZ needs replaced and we have to find a successor to Davis.

Players will leave after the Euros and i think we could be looking to replace as many as 4 positions (LB, CD, CM and CF) that is a spine of a team so yes we could have a bigger rebuild job on than what we think. Good news is Ross Wilson will already have targets in mind.

We need some pace and power in midfield someone who can run past people and get back at people and someone like Majer who plays for Zagreb who has that magic and can shoot.

Also think we lack pace up front Kent apart we don’t have much. So two midfielders and someone for the right with pace would take us up a level.

Oh and give Kamara the kitchen sink to sign a new contract.
Seen bits of majer last night and he looked very good, I actually think we picked hagi over him though. Probs the cheaper option, although from what I seen last night majer looks the better player.

I love kamara and feel we should be building the midfield around him but he’s the only one I can see us getting massive money for.

Big decision for Wilson and Gerrard in the summer, do they cash in on kamara and try and build a midfield for champs league with the money or do they possibly sell Morelos and Barišić and do it that way. In all honesty I’m not sure what the best option is but have total faith in the management team.

Tbh i agree with the OP. You never stand still in football and players come and go. The rebuilding in the summer is nowhere near the scale of previous years but still needs addressed. More steel required in centre mid as Jack is unfortunately made of glass and a replacement for davis is essential
There is nothing to suggest that the management team have any intention of standing still in the summer.

Think the contract situations will be resolved once the season is finished. Too much focus on them would have been a distraction during the campaign.

The possible players who might be sold (Barisic, Kamara, Morelos etc) all is dependant on teams meeting our valuations. Last summer due to covid, a lot of teams weren't splashing around huge transfer fees. We'll have to see if similar happens this summer again. If we do receive substantial fees then I'm confident we'll replace quality replacements.

Investing in midfield and adding an additional bit of pace to the attack are probably the main priorities for me. I think Arfield and Jack will stay but become more squad players.

No panic imo from the op just strengthening from a position of strength and if we do we will win the title no problem for the foreseeable future and in turn make the champions league. We are only 3 players away imo and we will be unstoppable again.

Exactly. I am glad some people are able to read the OP and process what I am saying :D

Everything I have learned about Gerrard from studying his career and listening to him on podcasts etc, I don't think he will accept standing still. He is a ruthless individual who doesn't accept 2nd best.

If we stand still, we leave the door open for The Tims to close the gap on us quickly.

Think the contract situations will be resolved once the season is finished. Too much focus on them would have been a distraction during the campaign.

The possible players who might be sold (Barisic, Kamara, Morelos etc) all is dependant on teams meeting our valuations. Last summer due to covid, a lot of teams weren't splashing around huge transfer fees. We'll have to see if similar happens this summer again.

Investing in midfield and adding an additional bit of pace to the attack are probably the main priorities for me. I think Arfield and Jack will stay but become more squad players.

In terms of pace, just me that thinks Scott Wright will be starting a lot more games on the right side of attack next season ?

Seen bits of majer last night and he looked very good, I actually think we picked hagi over him though. Probs the cheaper option, although from what I seen last night majer looks the better player.

I love kamara and feel we should be building the midfield around him but he’s the only one I can see us getting massive money for.

Big decision for Wilson and Gerrard in the summer, do they cash in on kamara and try and build a midfield for champs league with the money or do they possibly sell Morelos and Barišić and do it that way. In all honesty I’m not sure what the best option is but have total faith in the management team.

Same I have total trust in the management of the club they will know the same as us and will be three steps ahead imo.

We don’t need major surgery just some help and more quality in midfield as we missed Jack last night we seem more solid when he plays but he can’t play a full season and it was evident last night we need some pace on the right to give a different option.

Exactly. I am glad some people are able to read the OP and process what I am saying :D

Everything I have learned about Gerrard from studying his career and listening to him on podcasts etc, I don't think he will accept standing still. He is a ruthless individual who doesn't accept 2nd best.

If we stand still, we leave the door open for The Tims to close the gap on us quickly.
Looks like next season championship is worth 35 million with automatic CL entry. Board and Gerrard will know what's at stake. That's absolutely massive for us and them.

It's probably a bigger summer ahead for us in the transfer market than a lot of people realise. Gerrard needs to be ruthless (and I think he will be) if he wants to take us to the next level which is making us a Last 8 or even Last 4 Europa League Team.
Been saying the same for a while.

I also don’t think fans want to dwell on the size of loss we’re still operating at and how obviously unsustainable that is.

A big sale and / or CL qualification is probably imperative therefore to help balance the books and I think we’ll have two strategies based around that:

qualify - we buy two or three quality additions;

fail - we actively sell one of our biggest assets, probably Morelos.

However, he - or someone else - may move on regardless of qualifying for the group stages in which case I’m sure the money will be at least partly reinvested in the squad.

The issue is that we do now have an ageing squad the core of which may possibly have reached its peak.

McGregor, 39; Tav 29; Borna and Goldson 28; Davis 36; Jack 29; Arfield 32.

Asking them all to go again is probably unfair and unrealistic so we probably do need to start bringing in some replacements now to infuse the squad with new vitality, but as mentioned above I think that’s probably going to be dependent on qualifying for the CL proper or selling one or more of our prize assets.

I’m sure it’s a challenge Gerrard and Wilson will be more than prepared for though.

In terms of pace, just me that thinks Scott Wright will be starting a lot more games on the right side of attack next season ?

Could be I found it noticeable last night when they pressed and we had to play a ball in the right channel and play longer they ate that up as we had no real pace to turn them apart from Kent and he was volleyed out the game.

This will be unpopular with some but personally I would say thanks but no thanks to Balogun for that extra year.
Midfield needs serious money spent on it imo for the reasons stated in OP. If someone offered us serious £ for Aribo I would take it and invest in midfield.Morelos is away probably. Defoe as well with Morelos money we need 2 strikers in and I'd like to see Itten get some real game time between now and end of season.
He has done a fine job but if we have an opportunity to upgrade then we should take it. Ideally I would keep him and get another in but I know it is unlikely. Katic, Simpson and Edmunson all still on the books.

Depends who is sold. One area desperately needing someone is midfield. Davis has been excellent but can't go in forever.

I would say at least two box to box midfielders.

There is nothing to suggest that the management team have any intention of standing still in the summer.
I agree. Hopefully the board continue to back the management to take us to the next level. Our potential is massive

Been saying the same for a while.

I also don’t think fans want to dwell on the size of loss we’re still operating at and how obviously unsustainable that is.

A big sale and / or CL qualification is probably imperative therefore to help balance the books and I think we’ll have two strategies based around that:

qualify - we buy two or three quality additions;

fail - we actively sell one of our biggest assets, probably Morelos.

However, he - or someone else - may move on regardless of qualifying for the group stages in which case I’m sure the money will be at least partly reinvested in the squad.

The issue is that we do now have an ageing squad the core of which may possibly have reached its peak.

Asking them all to go again is probably unfair and unrealistic so we probably do need to start bringing in some replacements now to infuse the squad with new vitality, but as mentioned above I think that’s probably going to be dependent on qualifying for the CL proper or selling one or more of our prize assets.

I’m sure it’s a challenge Gerrard and Wilson will be more than prepared for though.

Agree with every word. Great post.

Maybe I’m naive but I do believe that if that game had stayed 11 v 11 then we wouldn’t have lost it.

We also really missed a fully fit Helander and Tav. Particularly Helander.

TBH I just didn’t see us scoring last night at all, regardless of sendings off. Their defence had us in their back pocket. They totally shut down Alfie and Kent.

It will be an interesting summer. As the OP highlights and depending on a number of factors, we could be looking at anything from tweaking the current squad to quite a large overhaul.

To kick this team on to the next stage of our development?

This isn't a negative or reactionary thread to last night. I'm extremely proud of this group of players for everything they have done this season and to get to the middle of March and this only being the first game we have lost, it is an incredible achievement.

But....last night maybe, I wouldn't say highlights our limitations but it certainly shows the ceiling for this team in a European sense. Slavia are a better side than many are giving them credit for, but they didn't actually really do much last night. Once they scored early, they were happy to sit back and defend (they were outstanding defensively to be fair) and then they just kicked everything that moved, especially Kent who they had clearly identified as our danger man, totally killed the flow of the game. A typical European Performance from a savvy team who know what they are doing.

Next season marks the next chapter of Gerrard's Reign if you like, with us winning the title now and having the opportunity to reach the CL for the first time under his management. Now, I don't expect us to get into the Group Stages and then qualify, albeit you never know after seeing Porto do it this season but I think last night showed if we want to get into the CL and at least be competitive, and get 3rd at least and drop down into The Europa League we need to strengthen again this summer. We can't stand still and Gerrard can't be too loyal to some of these players. Celtic are going to be back stronger again next season also so we really need Gerrard to be ruthless in the transfer market this summer and move on players who although they have done brilliant for us, have maybe reached the end of their cycle or are getting on a bit in age now and significantly upgrade the quality.

Defence

Tav and Goldson contract issues need resolved - hopefully both stay but if they were to leave, that's two massive gaps to fill and Balogun is also out of contract.
Barisic - will he go?

Midfield

Davis out of contract
Arfield 32
Jack always injured
Zungu heading back to France
Kamara attracting a lot of interest and could possibly go

Up Front

Alfie could go and would need replaced
We would be ok after that, although Slavia showed last night if you boot Kent out of the game we don't have a similar threat coming from the other side, especially with Tav being injured. So if you are being greedy, we could be doing with a right sided attacker of the quality of Kent

It's probably a bigger summer ahead for us in the transfer market than a lot of people realise. Gerrard needs to be ruthless (and I think he will be) if he wants to take us to the next level which is making us a Last 8 or even Last 4 Europa League Team.
Agree with your comments apart from....next season Celtic will be stronger? Celtic dont have a pot to piss in they are in a financial mess there wage bill is crippling them and lots of players out of contract.

I think we'll see McGregor and Davis get a one year extension and after that you have to think both would probably look to retire. Hopefully we tie up Tav, Borna and Goldson for a few years as well. They can keep their performance levels high enough. I'd take £15m for any of them though, none are irreplaceable.

We were pretty exposed over those two games, central midfield is an area where we really need more quality. Also although Morelos has been a great player for us I think now is the time for him to go. Hes shown recent flashes but hes nowhere near the level of last season.

Midfield is where the majority of investment should go next season. Our midfield has done really well to reach the last 16 in back to back seasons and win the league this year but Davis and Arfield are aging while Jack has a regular issue with his knee that needs to be managed.

I see the impact someone like Soucek has had at West Ham and just imagine what a player like that could do in our midfield. Big lad who's dominant physically yet has the technical ability as well. I just hope we don't show the same level of ambition that the tims have shown where simply being better than them is good enough because it would come back to bite eventually.

As others have said, midfield is the key area.

Against some of the better teams we have faced a lot of the quality our midfield show in the game is without the ball. Last night for instance Davis played well, but for me he did more effective work without the ball and winning ot back than he did with the ball.

All our current midfielders have excellent qualities. But for me if we want to really develop the team I think we need a combination of.

Aribo to become one of the midfield 3 and consistently add goals and assists from that position.

Kamara to stay.

Davis to stay, but with recruitment focused in summer on his long term successor.

Arfield and Jack are the two for me i think quality wise we could perhaps look to upgrade on. Great servants and squad options, but if I was being really critical I'd say those two are where upgrades would be beneficial. Jacks robustness is also a slight question mark. Its been mentioned plenty that he has an issue that needs managed. I wonder if that will be more exposed the higher the levels we go up?

You drop peak Barry Ferguson into that team last night and I think we win. I think that's what we need.

This isn't a negative or reactionary thread to last night. I'm extremely proud of this group of players for everything they have done this season and to get to the middle of March and this only being the first game we have lost, it is an incredible achievement.

But....last night maybe, I wouldn't say highlights our limitations but it certainly shows the ceiling for this team in a European sense. Slavia are a better side than many are giving them credit for, but they didn't actually really do much last night. Once they scored early, they were happy to sit back and defend (they were outstanding defensively to be fair) and then they just kicked everything that moved, especially Kent who they had clearly identified as our danger man, totally killed the flow of the game. A typical European Performance from a savvy team who know what they are doing.

Next season marks the next chapter of Gerrard's Reign if you like, with us winning the title now and having the opportunity to reach the CL for the first time under his management. Now, I don't expect us to get into the Group Stages and then qualify, albeit you never know after seeing Porto do it this season but I think last night showed if we want to get into the CL and at least be competitive, and get 3rd at least and drop down into The Europa League we need to strengthen again this summer. We can't stand still and Gerrard can't be too loyal to some of these players. Celtic are going to be back stronger again next season also so we really need Gerrard to be ruthless in the transfer market this summer and move on players who although they have done brilliant for us, have maybe reached the end of their cycle or are getting on a bit in age now and significantly upgrade the quality.

Defence

Tav and Goldson contract issues need resolved - hopefully both stay but if they were to leave, that's two massive gaps to fill and Balogun is also out of contract.
Barisic - will he go?

Midfield

Davis out of contract
Arfield 32
Jack always injured

Up Front

We would be ok after that, although Slavia showed last night if you boot Kent out of the game we don't have a similar threat coming from the other side, especially with Tav being injured. So if you are being greedy, we could be doing with a right sided attacker of the quality of Kent

I think this summer, we could probably do with at least two midfielders. One in the Davis position but more athletic and a more advanced one like a Arfield but has better technical skills. Fashion Sakala has went a bit quiet but he seemed to be as good as signed a few months ago if you believe the Sun and the Record who both reported it, he’d/he’ll be our “attacking signing” that happens this summer before outgoings. A hard one is also McGregor. Yes, he is obviously fantastic and it’s not huge concern in the most part but he goes long when he doesn’t need which loses us the ball and puts us under pressure. He was also a bit suspect for certainly first goal tonight, could argue the second one in terms of he didn’t even have himself in a position to attempt a save

I think this summer, we could probably do with at least two midfielders. One in the Davis position but more athletic and a more advanced one like a Arfield but has better technical skills. Fashion Sakala has went a bit quiet but he seemed to be as good as signed a few months ago if you believe the Sun and the Record who both reported it, he’d/he’ll be our “attacking signing” that happens this summer before outgoings. A hard one is also McGregor. Yes, he is obviously fantastic and it’s not huge concern in the most part but he goes long when he doesn’t need which loses us the ball and puts us under pressure. He was also a bit suspect for certainly first goal tonight, could argue the second one in terms of he didn’t even have himself in a position to attempt a save

If we keep all of our main players just now who have some sort of speculation around their futures ie Goldson, Tav, Borna, Kamara and Alfie, then the main area we need to address is midfield. Without a doubt.

Davis has probably been our POTY but he will be 37 next season, he can't go on forever and age can catch up with a player quickly. He looks like he will be fine for next season but who knows?

Jack is injury prone and Arfield is coming up for 33. If we are being ruthless, which is what the OP is about, then we certainly could look at upgrading those two in any case, if we really want to kick on to the next level.

A bit of pace and someone like Kent who can play on the other side as well would be amazing, although I appreciate it's not easy to find another Kent on our budget. Maybe Scott Wright could be the guy but we need to see how he develops with us.

Defence

Barisic - will he go?

Midfield

Davis out of contract
Arfield 32
Jack always injured

Up Front

Spot on.

Midfield in particular.

Realistically we need to get a proper replacement for Jack, he’s a good player but he’s far too unreliable and misses too many games on a regular basis

Last night proved Arfield isn’t the required level of where we want to be, it may be harsh but he should be no more than a squad player. Same applies for Aribo as a CM, he should be considered a number 10 only

In general terms, the drop in quality from Tav to Patterson is ridiculous - I’d be inclined to loan Patterson next season to a team that’ll play him every week. As such, we’ll need a replacement at right back

Jones, Edmundson, Barker, Defoe, Stewart should all be moved on.

If we keep all of our main players just now who have some sort of speculation around their futures ie Goldson, Tav, Borna, Kamara and Alfie, then the main area we need to address is midfield. Without a doubt.

Davis has probably been our POTY but he will be 37 next season, he can't go on forever and age can catch up with a player quickly. He looks like he will be fine for next season but who knows?

Jack is injury prone and Arfield is coming up for 33. If we are being ruthless, which is what the OP is about, then we certainly could look at upgrading those two in any case, if we really want to kick on to the next level.

A bit of pace and someone like Kent who can play on the other side as well would be amazing, although I appreciate it's not easy to find another Kent on our budget. Maybe Scott Wright could be the guy but we need to see how he develops with us.
Yep, age catches up with everyone at some point. Just notice it starting a bit with Davis in Europe because of the level going up a few notches. No shame in it for him either. Athletic had an article saying pre-season it was agreed there’d be no contract talks, which is why I’m hoping we have provisional agreements in place with the likes of Tav and Goldson.

Don’t think we need to be concerned with this.

History suggests that Gerrard improves our squad and results, every single season.

Just continue as is; the management and recruitment will be bang on.

Easy.

The replacement for Tav is currently playing a blinder in the team.

You honestly think Patterson’s playing a blinder? Seriously?

He’s done well under difficult circumstances but the whole team plays different due to the drop in quality.

Patterson was targeted by Slavia and it’s no surprise 2 of their goals over both legs came down his side. Last night his defending for their first was lazy and infuriating - he’s no where near ready to be a regular for us

I don't think this is fair. Kent was dealt with quite easily, as were Aribo and Hagi. Kent got a lot of credit for being lively but ultimately he had no more joy than the others and was wasteful at times, Aribo was more effective than Kent last week. I would like an addition in the position too but I wouldn't say we need "another Kent", Hagi and Aribo have contributed just as much this season.

You honestly think Patterson’s playing a blinder? Seriously?

He’s done well under difficult circumstances but the whole team plays different due to the drop in quality.

Patterson was targeted by Slavia and it’s no surprise 2 of their goals over both legs came down his side. Last night his defending for their first was lazy and infuriating - he’s no where near ready to be a regular for us
Agree, he's done very well since coming in but the drop in quality is significant.

Back