Time For Gerrard To Be Ruthless now

I don't think this is fair. Kent was dealt with quite easily, as were Aribo and Hagi. Kent got a lot of credit for being lively but ultimately he had no more joy than the others and was wasteful at times, Aribo was more effective than Kent last week. I would like an addition in the position too but I wouldn't say we need "another Kent", Hagi and Aribo have contributed just as much this season.

They were taking turns at booting Kent up in the air and the ref allowed it to happen.

I don’t get what ‘Time for Gerrard to be ruthless’ is all about.

Gerrard has ruthlessness built in.

I agree that there are areas where we need to strengthen or renew but SG will be more aware of that than any of us.

They were taking turns at booting Kent up in the air and the ref allowed it to happen.

Yip. It was cynical beyond belief but good play on their part, as the ref continually let them away with it.

When Kent picks up the ball and starts running at defences you can see the fear and panic he causes. Aribo, Hagi and even Roofe are all great players in their own way but they don't cause the same panic Kent does.

Yip. It was cynical beyond belief but good play on their part, as the ref continually let them away with it.

When Kent picks up the ball and starts running at defences you can see the fear and panic he causes. Aribo, Hagi and even Roofe are all great players in their own way but they don't cause the same panic Kent does.

Complete naivety on our part though. After every tackle our players should’ve been crowding the referee like other teams do in Europe, the nice approach meant the ref was far more lenient

Guarantee if Gerrard was playing he’d have been over to the ref constantly

Complete naivety on our part though. After every tackle our players should’ve been crowding the referee like other teams do in Europe, the nice approach meant the ref was far more lenient

Guarantee if Gerrard was playing he’d have been over to the ref constantly

Everytime one of their players got touched as well, he went down screaming like he had been shot.

They were just a very streetwise European Team. Very well drilled, difficult to break down, fit and strong. With our full team available and at our best, we could definitely have taken them over two legs but it just wasn't to be.

Is this not where Gerrard sees Aribo?

If it is (which I don't believe as he is a flair player) he isn't up to it, I feel he has tried every season to bring in a strong, powerful, hard tackling, athletic, ball playing and goal scoring midfielder without success. Zungu, Coulibaly, Ojo etc. have all been tried and I'd say Coulibaly looked the most likely to fit the mold before it fell apart.

We haven't found one because they are like hens teeth at any price.

A Vieira type (yeah, like they grow on trees) is what we need.

The main position needing addressed next season seems to be midfield.

I agree but, what about attack?

Can we hold on to Morelos, Kent? Roofe injury issues, Defoe possibly moving on.

McGregor, Goldson, Borna, Tavernier, Davis, Arfield, Jack, Kamara, Kent, Morelos, Defoe, Roofe et al. We could potentially see a massive change over the next season/two seasons.

You honestly think Patterson’s playing a blinder? Seriously?

He’s done well under difficult circumstances but the whole team plays different due to the drop in quality.

Patterson was targeted by Slavia and it’s no surprise 2 of their goals over both legs came down his side. Last night his defending for their first was lazy and infuriating - he’s no where near ready to be a regular for us
I think he is doing very well, by no means finished product. His crossing needs worked on.
he is great carrying the ball forward and some of his tackling is superb.

I think he is doing very well, by no means finished product. His crossing needs worked on.
he is great carrying the ball forward and some of his tackling is superb.

A lot of his tackling is last ditch which is a byproduct of poor positioning. Yes they look good but if his positioning is better he doesn’t need to dive in

He’s good at carrying the ball but his passing isn’t that good and his crossing is poor. Honestly, watch the game again, our players are reluctant to pass to him at times - if it’s tav, the players drill balls into him and the whole team plays at a higher tempo

He’s 19 and is one for the future but as it stands now I don’t think he’s good enough to be our second choice right back

Next season jack and arfield should be squad options. That only happens if we bring in two midfielders. Our main issue in Europe imo is tracking runners from midfield. Jack and Kamara are the only ones who are consistently good at it. At least one of the midfielders we bring in needs to be in the jack mould(a good defensive midfielder who can control the game) the other should be arfields replacement. Better to bed him in with arfield their for one final season.

A lot of his tackling is last ditch which is a byproduct of poor positioning. Yes they look good but if his positioning is better he doesn’t need to dive in

He’s good at carrying the ball but his passing isn’t that good and his crossing is poor. Honestly, watch the game again, our players are reluctant to pass to him at times - if it’s tav, the players drill balls into him and the whole team plays at a higher tempo

He’s 19 and is one for the future but as it stands now I don’t think he’s good enough to be our second choice right back
You dont even think he is good enough to be second choice?
We will never agree then. Folk see different things in different players.

We cannot be complacent but relentless in our pursuit of trophies both domestically and in Europe. We desperately need a Souness or Gough.

We can't have major squad changes this Summer and expect to qualify for the Champions League. I'd expect some squad players to move on and one or two big sales if we get offers. Any starters that leave will need replaced.

If we qualify for the Champions League then we might splash out on a player just before the deadline.

Just as the chairman and director said in their interview. This is Glasgow Rangers , we keep going.

Gerrard will not be happy with last 16 of Europa and he will know where we have fallen short ability wise. I can see a few players getting sold to release funds for improvement. it’s just the way it has to be.

You dont even think he is good enough to be second choice?
We will never agree then. Folk see different things in different players.

Not at present no but in a similar vein, I don’t think Bassey is good enough to replace borna.

The thought of Bassey or Patterson against Celtic and/or Europe fills me with absolute dread

In terms of pace, just me that thinks Scott Wright will be starting a lot more games on the right side of attack next season ?

Earlier on in the season Gerrard used Barker there and in the last couple of seasons seemed to prefer Barker/Ojo for European games based purely on pace. Wright has been very promising so far and think he's been brought in early to be groomed for that type of role.

I think aside from Kent, he's the only player in the attacking roles with that real burst of pace. I'd say there would still be hurdles for him to be the go to man. His career so far has question marks about sustained form and goal contributions but hopefully he can be the person for that role.

Earlier on in the season Gerrard used Barker there and in the last couple of seasons seemed to prefer Barker/Ojo for European games based purely on pace. Wright has been very promising so far and think he's been brought in early to be groomed for that type of role.

I think aside from Kent, he's the only player in the attacking roles with that real burst of pace. I'd say there would still be hurdles for him to be the go to man. His career so far has question marks about sustained form and goal contributions but hopefully he can be the person for that role.

That’s the real elephant in the room for us, that right sided 10 position

Aribo/Hagi are great technically but in Europe they’re not quick enough to stretch teams which means we’re over reliant on Kent. Roofe’s movement is great but again, he’s not quick enough to stretch teams

In an ideal world we’d go into the market and buy a “Kent-esque” number 10 to play on the right as we’d then have 2 ball carriers that are also able to stretch defences. Wright is similar to Kent but if we’re being honest, he’s no where near Kent’s level - good squad player but shouldn’t be a starter

We're over-reliant on Alfie in Europe.

Last night, until the 2nd sending off was another reminder of just how blunt we can be up top and how little we create if the ball isn't sticking to him and he's not firing on all cylinders.

I've given up hoping for an old -fashioned box to box midfielder or an enforcer, it's just not how we play.

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Davis, Jack, Alfie. That's our spine

Two are getting old, two need contracts, one wants to go and one has recurring injuries.

Hopefully Ross Wilson and Stevie G are on the ball.

I'm not that concerned about next season. If we make the CL group stages I don't think we'll fare any better than that lot did with their nine free hits.

We should have enough to defend the title, it's the year after I'd be more worried about, particularly if we were to lose our Management Team.

However, succession planning and contingencies are part of Wilson's remit.

We never want another summer and title defence like 2003/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stage 1 is complete, the title has been won. The team needs to evolve.

Davis and Arfield have been exceptional but we can’t expect that next season. Jack is continually injured.

Already the midfield requires at least two starters, not squad players.

It’s a big Summer. Excited to see the next stage under the manager.

You're lumbering us with a bigger rebuilding job than Celtic
It’s not a rebuild job though - it’s a strengthening job. A nicer problem to have for sure, but still a conundrum - how do we build the best team possible for Champion’s league competition, retain the league title and do so spending the least amount of money possible? Time for Ross Wilson to step up.

The growth in team improvement has got to be organic through building on each year's successes and squad improvements. I have full confidence SG and the team know what is required to maintain sucess at home and continue our improvement in Europe.

It’s not a rebuild job though - it’s a strengthening job. A nicer problem to have for sure, but still a conundrum - how do we build the best team possible for Champion’s league competition, retain the league title and do so spending the least amount of money possible? Time for Ross Wilson to step up.
I misinterpreted the OP, he's only saying what could happen with 9 players up in the air for various reasons. We all agree we need 2 or 3 to kick on again, Hagi, Roofe and Itten improved our squad considerably, if we manage to take the level on again and that's what we're classing as being ruthless then I agree with the OP

Our squad as it is can still learn and develop at this level.

Players like Aribo, Kamara, Hagi, Morelos and Kent are still at an age where they can improve and raise their level. You only need to look at the way Goldson, Barisic and Tavernier have done that in the past few seasons for evidence of it.

Others who were on the fringes like Itten, Wright, Simpson, Patterson and Bassey are still fighting to establish themselves and will improve naturally if they're able to do that.

Even if we signed no one and just retained the squad we have, we could get better. That won't be our approach, of course, but we shouldn't forget that or write certain players off at this stage. There's more to come from much of this squad, and their attitude towards getting there is largely spot on.

Europe this season certainly shows we have defensive frailties which haven't been to the fore domestically due to the shocking standard of attacking players in the SPFL and mirrored through the national team. CL Group stages and title 56 will be the priority next season-that will be viewed by this bear as success.

Not at present no but in a similar vein, I don’t think Bassey is good enough to replace borna.

The thought of Bassey or Patterson against Celtic and/or Europe fills me with absolute dread
Seems we can agree- I dont rate Bassey at all either.

It’s the fact Slavia controlled the game and looked so comfy.

For me, our midfielders struggle against physical players. By physical I mean genuine athletes, not the hatchet men at Livi and Kilmarnock.

Would like a couple of players that could add this dimension to our game.
Agreed. Height and physical presence, but with technical capability.

We have very good players who have improved over the last two seasons but we need genuine pace introduced into midfield,I think we saw last night that the oppositions midfield pacey direct strong running was keeping us from opening up.
Take away Kent we really don’t have pacey direct players.

To kick this team on to the next stage of our development?

This isn't a negative or reactionary thread to last night. I'm extremely proud of this group of players for everything they have done this season and to get to the middle of March and this only being the first game we have lost, it is an incredible achievement.

But....last night maybe, I wouldn't say highlights our limitations but it certainly shows the ceiling for this team in a European sense. Slavia are a better side than many are giving them credit for, but they didn't actually really do much last night. Once they scored early, they were happy to sit back and defend (they were outstanding defensively to be fair) and then they just kicked everything that moved, especially Kent who they had clearly identified as our danger man, totally killed the flow of the game. A typical European Performance from a savvy team who know what they are doing.

Next season marks the next chapter of Gerrard's Reign if you like, with us winning the title now and having the opportunity to reach the CL for the first time under his management. Now, I don't expect us to get into the Group Stages and then qualify, albeit you never know after seeing Porto do it this season but I think last night showed if we want to get into the CL and at least be competitive, and get 3rd at least and drop down into The Europa League we need to strengthen again this summer. We can't stand still and Gerrard can't be too loyal to some of these players. Celtic are going to be back stronger again next season also so we really need Gerrard to be ruthless in the transfer market this summer and move on players who although they have done brilliant for us, have maybe reached the end of their cycle or are getting on a bit in age now and significantly upgrade the quality.

Defence

Tav and Goldson contract issues need resolved - hopefully both stay but if they were to leave, that's two massive gaps to fill and Balogun is also out of contract.
Barisic - will he go?

Midfield

Davis out of contract
Arfield 32
Jack always injured
Zungu heading back to France
Kamara attracting a lot of interest and could possibly go

Up Front

Alfie could go and would need replaced
We would be ok after that, although Slavia showed last night if you boot Kent out of the game we don't have a similar threat coming from the other side, especially with Tav being injured. So if you are being greedy, we could be doing with a right sided attacker of the quality of Kent

It's probably a bigger summer ahead for us in the transfer market than a lot of people realise. Gerrard needs to be ruthless (and I think he will be) if he wants to take us to the next level which is making us a Last 8 or even Last 4 Europa League Team.
Spot on DB.

We are a well oiled machine in Scotland and in Europa League until we reach the latter stages.

This is the mistake the mentally challengeds made, they got complacent. We need to make a big signing in midfield this summer.

There’s no reason why we can’t reach the levels of a Slavia or Ajax.

Completely agree. The most successful sides are the most ruthless and do not stand on ceremony or make decisions based on nostalgia.

Completely agree with your assessment OP.

I have to agree with the OP ,we're very much a work in progress and that's not a kneejerk reaction to last night, last night just emphasised it, we just haven't been as fluid or penetrating since the end of last year and flattering as it was to recieve all the plaudits for our European exploits as well as the domestic dominance Slavia showed that we've still some way to go, I've no doubt that SGs staff are trawling through Europe and even further afield to find the talent that we require to keep Rangers were they always should be ...at the top. We can only hope that we've got Gerrard for at least another three years ,hopefully even longer as IMO he's the best thing that's happened to us since the return of Sir Walter.

It’s the fact Slavia controlled the game and looked so comfy.

For me, our midfielders struggle against physical players. By physical I mean genuine athletes, not the hatchet men at Livi and Kilmarnock.

Would like a couple of players that could add this dimension to our game.

We need a midfield destroyer, a man like Gattuso in his pomp. A player who does the dirty work and can score every so often.
jorg-albertz-the-hammer-scott-strachan.jpg.628ac13545075d6b7203922cddbdd8b9.jpg
I agree with you but if we are to have two new midfielders, I would love a Gattuso in his pomp to do the dirty work in midfield as well as an Albertz .

I've said it numerous times on here, we need a big physical Viera type midfielder to compliment all of our other players and complete the jigsaw. They are hard to come by at any price but that is the type of player we need. whenever we come up against stronger/physical teams we seem to struggle a bit.
In all honesty mate, I think we have been having that conversation while Viera was playing !

We need a midfield destroyer, a man like Gattuso in his pomp. A player who does the dirty work and can score every so often.

I agree with you but if we are to have two new midfielders, I would love a Gattuso in his pomp to do the dirty work in midfield as well as an Albertz .
Sorry for the double post.

Looking at the OP's post we could end up with a wee bit of a rebuilding job on our hands.

If I were in charge I'd be looking to sell Barisic tbh, last chance of getting any sort of fee for him. Then there's a real possibility Morelos leaves in the summer.

You've got Davis who is still superb but can't play every game. Arfield blows hot and cold. Jack is always injured. Kamara will attract interest.

Roofe is similar to Jack in that he can't stay fit for long. Defoe is a bit part player and might leave. Itten is unproven.

Generally agree and definitely agree on need to be ruthless. I see the rest of the season, definitely starting Sunday, as an indication of the mental strength / aptitude of the players given the temptation to rest on the title triumph. anyone who does not show up will be questioned about ability to meet demands of being at the club.

Looking at the OP's post we could end up with a wee bit of a rebuilding job on our hands.

If I were in charge I'd be looking to sell Barisic tbh, last chance of getting any sort of fee for him. Then there's a real possibility Morelos leaves in the summer.

You've got Davis who is still superb but can't play every game. Arfield blows hot and cold. Jack is always injured. Kamara will attract interest.

Roofe is similar to Jack in that he can't stay fit for long. Defoe is a bit part player and might leave. Itten is unproven.

If we keep everyone we have just now, you are probably looking at a need for two starters to come in that lift the level again. Two midfielders or maybe a midfielder and a right sided forward.

If you lose one of or a combination of Goldson, Tav, Borna, Kamara and Alfie then you're looking at anything between 3 to 6 or 7 new signings.

As we stand today, we need a couple to take us on to the next level and not stand still but we have a few players attracting q lot of interest and others who's contracts are running down. It will be an interesting summer.

Gerrard might also need to sell an asset to generate the funds he needs to get a couple of quality players in.

We need improvements in midfield and a RW would be a nice addition no one has made that position there own yet in Gerrards time as manager.

Also i don't no what position is best for Aribo so we need to sort something with him there.

Like you, I'd be surprised if we "net spend" significant sums in the summer. I expect one of Morelos, Kamara, Kent or Aribo to go if our valuation is met in the summer.

Interestingly, the CL playoffs are concluded by 24th August, so if we did qualify for the group stages, we would have time to bring some players in.
I'm not an advocate of spending cash we don't have when we're going to have to cover massive losses for this year but if you are going to spend then the one thing we should have learned from 9 years of CL incompetence is buy players before the bloody qualifiers

Davis should now be used in the same way SAF used Giggs and Scholes in their twilight; used in the right situations where a bit of control is needed, he'll be perfect in that role. It doesn't have to be a case of play every game or leave.

I'm a big Jack fan but the problem is you can't plan around him, he's now regularly missing for periods of 6 weeks at a time.

You don't think what, are you kidding.

This isn't a negative or reactionary thread to last night. I'm extremely proud of this group of players for everything they have done this season and to get to the middle of March and this only being the first game we have lost, it is an incredible achievement.

But....last night maybe, I wouldn't say highlights our limitations but it certainly shows the ceiling for this team in a European sense. Slavia are a better side than many are giving them credit for, but they didn't actually really do much last night. Once they scored early, they were happy to sit back and defend (they were outstanding defensively to be fair) and then they just kicked everything that moved, especially Kent who they had clearly identified as our danger man, totally killed the flow of the game. A typical European Performance from a savvy team who know what they are doing.

Next season marks the next chapter of Gerrard's Reign if you like, with us winning the title now and having the opportunity to reach the CL for the first time under his management. Now, I don't expect us to get into the Group Stages and then qualify, albeit you never know after seeing Porto do it this season but I think last night showed if we want to get into the CL and at least be competitive, and get 3rd at least and drop down into The Europa League we need to strengthen again this summer. We can't stand still and Gerrard can't be too loyal to some of these players. Celtic are going to be back stronger again next season also so we really need Gerrard to be ruthless in the transfer market this summer and move on players who although they have done brilliant for us, have maybe reached the end of their cycle or are getting on a bit in age now and significantly upgrade the quality.

Defence

Tav and Goldson contract issues need resolved - hopefully both stay but if they were to leave, that's two massive gaps to fill and Balogun is also out of contract.
Barisic - will he go?

Midfield

Davis out of contract
Arfield 32
Jack always injured

Up Front

We would be ok after that, although Slavia showed last night if you boot Kent out of the game we don't have a similar threat coming from the other side, especially with Tav being injured. So if you are being greedy, we could be doing with a right sided attacker of the quality of Kent

It's probably a bigger summer ahead for us in the transfer market than a lot of people realise. Gerrard needs to be ruthless (and I think he will be) if he wants to take us to the next level which is making us a Last 8 or even Last 4 Europa League Team.

First I'll say that I love both players but I thought Aribo and Arfield were off the pace for most of the game and our right hand side gave us nothing. We can't expect young Patterson to be compensating for that on his own.

I agree with the OP, there’s defo areas of the team that could be upgraded. We’ll need a new goalkeeper shortly too.

I don’t just want to be better than Celtic each year, we should be looking to challenge for the later stages of the Europa League.

Three quality additions keep us top, the bulk of money on a pacey striker. A physical midfielder and possibly another attacking midfielde.

However it all depends on the outs, Morelos might stay for CL as might Barasic but we need to balance the books

Middle to front is the worry.
Morelos going will be a blow, still to be convinced itten and roofe can constantly do a job.
Davis/ arfield maybe away by the end of next season and Jack plays 2 and misses 1.
The winter signings are squad players imo

Defence

Barisic - will he go?

Midfield

Davis out of contract
Arfield 32
Jack always injured

Up Front

We lost 16 goals in 11 euro ties from the play off round on. 15 of them in the last 8 euro matches. To make the step up we need at least one very very good centre back. The ones we have are fine up to a level but can they kick on and be better than that?

OP is correct and has valid points, we don’t rest like the mentally challengeds done. Kick on leave them trailing
This is correct. Celtc have absolutely fked themselves by getting carried away with their success and not looking to the future. Pretty much all of their assets will go for less than they should because they’ve let contracts run down.

I adore Borna, I think he’s been the best LB we’ve had since Numan but it might be the time to cash in. Fredo is a figurehead for us but we might get offers we need to take. I’d push the boat out and get Goldson on a longer deal, he’s now a proper Rangers CB and leader.

Alex Ferguson’s greatest skill was rebuilding year on year. We need to to this and be even better next year. We’ve got the infrastructure to make us a real champions league team next year.

Back