Todays Shankland thread

Nowhere near good enough.
Not just based on this comment but do you go round this forum just looking for a reaction? How do you know he's nowhere near good enough been folowing him closely have you? No didn't think so you hear ayr utd and automatically presume not good enough? Who's your suggestions icardi? Higuain? Aubameyang maybe?

I'm not a fan of vardy but look where he came from and went to, also you wouldn't have had asensio down as good enough for madrid a £4m rated player before Madrid bought him.

Don't let me keep you here but I'm sure I can hear mark allan calling you.

He was younger then mate.

Tbh I've no idea if he'd do a job for us
Like most, probably all of us.
The thing is that he might.
That’s the gamble.
Should we take it?
I would but to those say “no” would you have wanted to take the chance with his teammate at Queens?
Please spare me the “everybody bar McCoist knew Robertson was going to be a player” nonsense.

He's almost certainly going to Swansea, but Ayr are looking for £500k to sell in Jan. I've stated a few times I'd not have a problem if we signed him on a free but there's no way I'd be paying that.

To really thrive up front for Rangers, your link up play and ability back to goal have to be strong.

Even more so these days when we can't afford good players to carry weaker ones.

Everything I've seen of Shankland suggests he's not good at that. I may be wrong, others will have seen more.

To really thrive up front for Rangers, your link up play and ability back to goal have to be strong.

Everything I've seen of Shankland suggests he's not good at that. I may be wrong, others will have seen more.

Yeah you are wrong.

Simply put, he’s worth a punt IF the fee is reasonable.

Goals will keep us in contention in this title race & he's clearly got a striker’s instinct.

Apart from a purple patch one November / December (I forget which year) Kris Boyd's link up play at Rangers was non-existent - but he thrived as a goalscorer.

We are at the stage where it would be fkin stupid to ignore the boy its the most obvious signing ever.

I hope we have made it clear to the lad we want him and to sit tight dont sign anything.

Football is a simple game, we cant score, hes a quality finisher, the boys a player.

Lets get him in, get him up front, lets get some goals. Maybe its a long shot but it might just win us the title even with refs cheating all the time and performing for the media a player like LS probably means 3 points in tight games like last nights.

Got to say for a nominal fee it would be wrong not to sign him and take that chance!
Before…… someone else does!

The potential is there…and I rather doubt Ian McCall would stand in his way!

Not seen enough to make a decision on the boy.
My only concern is Jason Cummings scored for fun, look where he is now.

Not saying the boy can't step up, and if he fuked the pedos off we know he's a Bear!!

No brainer surely, if he goes to Swansea or another club and is succesful it would be doubtful we could afford him then, rather this than another *** from st johnstone

Getting unbelievably tedious is this.

Why was there never hundreds of threads about the top scorers in the lower leagues saying it "would be stupid not to sign him" in previous years?

You are not wrong. He's nowhere near the required standard.

We have apparently only scored 2 goals from open play in 7 games? We are making getting the ball over the line seem a lot harder than it should be.

Shankland has taken Ayr from the lower league to possible SPL, (something we struggled with,) is a Rangers die hard and shoots from anywhere. No brainer if money is right.

Yes he’s scoring goals for Ayr but the boy failed at Aberdeen no harm to him but he’s not good enough to be backup striker nevermind a viable option. If we want to get serious about this season we simply have to bring someone in of a better standard.

Apart from a purple patch one November / December (I forget which year) Kris Boyd's link up play at Rangers was non-existent - but he thrived as a goalscorer.

In his first spell when he had some great players around him.

Second spell, at a lower level, he was very poor.

The circumstances at the club are very different to those we had back in his first spell. You only need to look at how much our performances dip when Morelos isn't playing to see how important a striker of that style is.

No they do not. Every footballer ever, in the history of the game, turned pro and stayed at exactly the same level through their entire career. Only an idiot would suggest that a player might be better at 23 than he was at 18.
The only player I can think of who may have not fitted into these parameters was Tony Book who played in the successful Manchester City team of the late 60’s. I don’t know Jamie Vardy’s history but he may be another who is a late developer. Not saying Shankland should be signed by us but who knows whether we would be missing the chance of signing a player who could be more than useful for us.

The only player I can think of who may have not fitted into these parameters was Tony Book who played in the successful Manchester City team of the late 60’s. I don’t know Jamie Vardy’s history but he may be another who is a late developer. Not saying Shankland should be signed by us but who knows whether we would be missing the chance of signing a player who could be more than useful for us.

The most obvious late developer in recent years was Davie Weir.

z95hl.jpg

:D

Not sure if it has already been mentioned on the other thread(s) but an Ayr supporting mate of mine told me there’s a strong rumour going around that Rodgers/Celtic asked Shankland to visit Celtic Park for a “discussion” and Shankland politely told them no thanks.
There’s only one Shanklandovo...
He said no to the Provo...
:p

I am sure we will have had a look at the guy and it will be between, Hardie, Rudden, Shawkland or Dallas and for me one as our fourth choice striker would be a decent shout. We are struggling with just two Strikers that’s for sure.

Antonio di Natale didn't play football until he was 17 and didn't taste top flight football til he was 26. He turned out alright.

Aged 25 Jamie Vardy was still earning £30 a week playing football.

Ricky Lambert pottered about the lower leagues til he joined Southampton in league 1 aged 27, got back to back promotions and ended up going to Liverpool after impressing in the EPL and getting capped for England!

And my personal favourite...

Aged 21 Miroslav Klose was playing for the RESERVE team of a FOURTH TIER German club. He's now the all time world cup top scorer.

Antonio di Natale didn't play football until he was 17 and didn't taste top flight football til he was 26. He turned out alright.

Aged 25 Jamie Vardy was still earning £30 a week playing football.

Ricky Lambert pottered about the lower leagues til he joined Southampton in league 1 aged 27, got back to back promotions and ended up going to Liverpool after impressing in the EPL and getting capped for England!

And my personal favourite...

Aged 21 Miroslav Klose was playing for the RESERVE team of a FOURTH TIER German club. He's now the all time world cup top scorer.
Didn't know that about Klose.

Kenny Dalglish was considered not good enough by Rangers (I think - did he ever get a trial?) and by West Ham (definitely) before signing for Celtc......

I reckon we should go for him, and would like to see our future transfer model being a balance of buying up the best young Scottish prospects, developing our own from the academy and when we do buy big we buy quality instead of quantity. I appreciate quality from the major European leagues can often be out of our price range but bargains can be found in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.

No harm in getting this boy in as long as we bring in an equal if not better than Alfie as well as Shankland.

Back