Tonali banned for 10 months + 8 months in gambling rehab

Do Newcastle still have to pay his wages ?
I would hope not as he has made himself unavailable by his gambling addiction
Apparently not although I’m fairly certain that Toney has continued to be paid by Brentford during his suspension. Read yesterday that Newcastle didn’t need to pay him £11m and were looking into suing Milan.

I would imagine they will continue to pay him however.

If you are Newcastle, you just write it off, basically consider it an ACL and swallow it and work towards still having a quality player

*if he doesn't utterly f*ck it off and look to get back to Italy.

A grim bit of business for them, did all feel a bit too good to be true for them that they ended up getting him.

Bit of a joke that he is being punished to that severity when they are recognising that’s is an addiction.

that’s without even talking about the betting sponsors.
He still broke the rules tbf. You don't let a junkie get away with breaking in and stealing stuff because he is addicted, do you ?

He is getting the help he needs but also needs to be punished imo.

FA once made early FA Cup rounds only available to watch if you had money in Bet 365. Mental.
Hypocrisy at its finest.

I get the rules against players betting, but you can't also have bet companies on football shirts and advertising boards across stadiums.

It's like having a pick-nick and then harshly punishing the seagulls.

Ah the get caught plead guilty and say you are an addict routine

Should have had the book thrown at him

That said gambling ads and such and the presence in football is hypocritical

its one thing betting on other teams but betting on your more games he should have been banned for more imo its cheating

He still broke the rules tbf. You don't let a junkie get away with breaking in and stealing stuff because he is addicted, do you ?

He is getting the help he needs but also needs to be punished imo.
That’s not the addiction that’s being punished there though, that’s the criminal acts.

Bit of a joke that he is being punished to that severity when they are recognising that’s is an addiction.

that’s without even talking about the betting sponsors.
I think it’s because he was betting on games involving his own team.

Addict or not, that’s a dangerous precedence to set if you get off lightly.

Is it clearly an addiction or is that was his legal team tell him to say? Heard the other day that without the admission to being a gambling addict the ban could have been as much as 3 years.

He liked to gamble my view, but im a degenerate gambler also and would plead the same haha

Glen Kamara gets racist abust and Zouma abuses animals but that’s obviously not so bad according to the authorities.
ridiculous how betting is seen as worse than both of them. I understand it's an addiction & folk need help, but it's self inflicted and you can get help. Being a racist & an animal abuser is far worse.

He was betting on games he was playing in ffs! Feel for the lad if he's genuinely got a problem but it would set a crazy precedence if they didn't go down hard on him.

It's a shame but it's a completely justifiable response.

*cuts to adverts*

Come grab this offer with Paddy Power/SkyBet/WilliamHill
Sorry don't really agree with that point.

Like saying drinking is advertised fine but you can't drink and drive.

There's an appropriate time to do certain things and an appropriate time not to.

If you're a fan it's ok to gamble if you're a player it's not. Everyone including players are aware of that.

Apparently not although I’m fairly certain that Toney has continued to be paid by Brentford during his suspension. Read yesterday that Newcastle didn’t need to pay him £11m and were looking into suing Milan.

I would imagine they will continue to pay him however.
Perhaps if they don't pay them then its breach of contract and the player can sign for someone else for free. Toney could argue that its the FA that have made him unavailable.

Perhaps if they don't pay them then its breach of contract and the player can sign for someone else for free. Toney could argue that its the FA that have made him unavailable.
Then it’s the Italian FA that is making Tonali unavailable?

He is still a £50m+ asset so I would imagine it’s highly likely Newcastle will continue to pay him otherwise the support they have publicly shown him would seem rather odd.

Sorry don't really agree with that point.

Like saying drinking is advertised fine but you can't drink and drive.

There's an appropriate time to do certain things and an appropriate time not to.

If you're a fan it's ok to gamble if you're a player it's not. Everyone including players are aware of that.
It's not really at all like that is it? It would be more like an organisation or company selling cars and having lots of promotion of drinking around the place and signposts for where to drink. And saying you can't drink and drive.

It is rank hypocrisy to be so closely aligned with gambling.

If you are Newcastle, you just write it off, basically consider it an ACL and swallow it and work towards still having a quality player

*if he doesn't utterly f*ck it off and look to get back to Italy.

A grim bit of business for them, did all feel a bit too good to be true for them that they ended up getting him.
If it was an ACL, the insurance would pay his wages. Newcastle are stuck paying him for nothing

Feel for him as an addict, especially in such a high profile position.

Wish him all the best in his recovery and hope he can abstain from it moving forward and get on with his life without the poison of gambling impacting it.

It's not really at all like that is it? It would be more like an organisation or company selling cars and having lots of promotion of drinking around the place and signposts for where to drink. And saying you can't drink and drive.

It is rank hypocrisy to be so closely aligned with gambling.

The rules are pretty clear for them to be fair. Being done for betting on Football, it couldn't be simpler to understand for absolutely anyone that they cannot bet on Football.

I know Milan had to make a big sale in the summer but the transfer felt a bit mad at the time, particularly from their end.

Not only their midfield fulcrum at 21, but a diehard fan from childhood who happened to have wonderful hair like Pirlo. It's not the type of player clubs in Italy typically let go of so easily (look at Barella).

No chance the dressing room would have been in the dark about his gambling issues.

The rules are pretty clear for them to be fair. Being done for betting on Football, it couldn't be simpler to understand for absolutely anyone that they cannot bet on Football.
Agreed, the rules are clear. He shouldn't have done it and anyone that gets caught betting is a mug.

I am making a point about the hypocrisy of the league stuffing itself with money from gambling, pushing it aggressively in its marketing whilst having such rules and punishments.

Do Newcastle still have to pay his wages ?
I would hope not as he has made himself unavailable by his gambling addiction
Think there will be clauses but then if they have him on a 3 or 4 year contract and want to keep him it could get complicated. Well even more so than it already must be.

That’s not the addiction that’s being punished there though, that’s the criminal acts.
No, it would be as if you would be locked up for burglary but also get treatment in prison.

I understand gambling is an issue but he still broke the rules, you can't just do away with it because he's an addict.

Agreed, the rules are clear. He shouldn't have done it and anyone that gets caught betting is a mug.

I am making a point about the hypocrisy of the league stuffing itself with money from gambling, pushing it aggressively in its marketing whilst having such rules and punishments.

The thing is that sponsorship etc is actually playing a part in the rich rewards players get. You'd have clever people/organised criminals making loads out of Football betting/manipulation/warm info non stop from those in the game without these rules and punishments - I expect there are currently ones making decent cash just through team news on the quiet from the right people.

Do alcoholics stop getting paid by their employers?
Its an addiction ffs
Banning him isn't the answer and certainly not for a team that he has just signed for
Rehab yes, fine yes, ban no

Absolutely magic idea give a person with an addiction more free time. With the money he will be able to get his hands on he could be in some state.

There is a huge amount of hypocrisy around gambling in football however betting on matches you're playing in (I'm sure I read) is just incredibly daft.
Depends on what he's betting.
Backing him to score during game and his team to win looks different to backing himself for a red and his team to lose. I realise none are permitted

Back