Tonali banned for 10 months + 8 months in gambling rehab

Hypocrisy at its finest.

I get the rules against players betting, but you can't also have bet companies on football shirts and advertising boards across stadiums.

It's like having a pick-nick and then harshly punishing the seagulls.
I never get this hypocrisy argument. Footballers are allowed to gamble too. Just not on football matches for obvious reasons. They can bet on all other sports.

I think the maximum they should get is 6 months for this for first time. Then £50k/£100k fine for each game that they bet in, in which they played.

Mad the world we live in, footballers getting lengthy bans for a click of an app than being racist. Kudela shouldn’t have kicked a ball again for at least a season the scumbag

Would ditching the gambling sponsorships hurt the English game?

I'm sure I read of an ex player recently who moved overseas and gambling adverts were banned in that country and it helped him not having to see adverts during every break

Bit of a joke that he is being punished to that severity when they are recognising that’s is an addiction.

that’s without even talking about the betting sponsors.

No sympathy. If he has a gambling addition he could have gambled on any other sport

I see Merson is on bumping his gums about it being an “illness” again.

I’ll maybe take him to a kids cancer ward and show him what an illness is.

Addiction absolutely, illness it isn’t.

Did feel at the time that Milan let him go a bit easily, particularly with them able to name their price of Newcastle.

A 23 year old, Italian international and boyhood Milan fan playing in the heart of their team. He was all set up to become one of their true legends. To let him go for ‘only’ £70m and without much of a struggle can’t help but feel there may have been something they knew.

I see Merson is on bumping his gums about it being an “illness” again.

I’ll maybe take him to a kids cancer ward and show him what an illness is.

Addiction absolutely, illness it isn’t.
I have a disease

CgkoaVSWgAA4tTj.jpg

He still broke the rules tbf. You don't let a junkie get away with breaking in and stealing stuff because he is addicted, do you ?

He is getting the help he needs but also needs to be punished imo.
In SNP Scotland yes that does happen.

Back on the streets to do it all again and inflict misery on those of us stupid enough to work for a living.

100% they knew. Everyone at the time was shocked how quickly they punted him after him publicly pleading to stay.

Done them a cracker lol
The Saudis that own Newcastle are wanting all the good PR they can get because of their sports washing so they will publically back him and not rock the boat, but I wonder if this was Chelsea Boehly would be going nuts and trying all sorts of legal actions.

He still broke the rules tbf. You don't let a junkie get away with breaking in and stealing stuff because he is addicted, do you ?

That's a ridiculous comparison.

That's a ridiculous comparison.
No it's not.

The original post said that because he is addicted he shouldn't be punished, which isn't how it works.

You wouldn't do it for others (hence my comparison) who commit other crimes while suffering from addiction, so why would this be different ?

Sorry don't really agree with that point.

Like saying drinking is advertised fine but you can't drink and drive.

There's an appropriate time to do certain things and an appropriate time not to.

If you're a fan it's ok to gamble if you're a player it's not. Everyone including players are aware of that.
Why do players gamble anyway.

Most folk gamble for a bit of a thrill or looking to win a decent amount to help their financial situation which is obviously very dangerous as you can essentially bankrupt yourself but some people do it from being desperate. Then there is for the fun of it.

Footballers like Tonali are millionaires and the thrill of playing fat exceeds a coupon. Pure greed is the only reason imo.

i might be missing something,
what happens if while during a ban the contract runs out?
does/can the club sell or lose a transfer fee with no fault of theirs.
sorry if the question is muddles

If the contract ran out they wouldn’t get a fee anyway

If the contract ran out they wouldn’t get a fee anyway
sorry,
if a window, like this january falls in during ban.
if a club was going to bid, now wait and get a 50m player for nothing,
should a players contract extend by the ban length to protect the clubs

Poor comparison and you've said it yourself, it's rules that he's infringed, not the law/committed a crime. If an employee went to their employer saying that they had an addiction and needed help, the employer would get turned inside out if they just binned them. Now it can be argued if he is simply playing the game by declaring that he has an addiction, but they need to support him either way.

He put bets on his own team Milan and Brecia when he played for them.

I would have thought the rehab would have lasted longer than this Suspension

Poor comparison and you've said it yourself, it's rules that he's infringed, not the law/committed a crime. If an employee went to their employer saying that they had an addiction and needed help, the employer would get turned inside out if they just binned them. Now it can be argued if he is simply playing the game by declaring that he has an addiction, but they need to support him either way.
Not if the employee was breaking company rules...

Aye, how can they, on one hand punish and on the other provide rehab?

It's either a breaking the rules or its an illness.

The first thing is breaking the rules, the second is admitting he has a gambling problem. He is saying the latter led to the former. It would be possible for him to have a gambling problem without betting on Football. It could well be the best thing to happen to him this if he sincerely does have a problem with gambling. Need to see more on it really, didn't like judging Toney till I saw the bets he was placing either.

Do Newcastle still have to pay his wages ?
I would hope not as he has made himself unavailable by his gambling addiction
Addiction mate…..a terrible thing is gambling addiction.
Suppose if he has no wages then he can’t gamble it…

It's a complex punishment really

The guy now has 10 months doing nothing and once boredom kicks in all he will think about is gambling

Addicts have to keep busy

The 10 months should involve other roles at the club. Coaching kids, ground duties, admin, canteen, etc

Might learn more that way

I just maintain a footballer should only be banned for betting against his club of employment or for a bet on any outcomes affecting himself. (Goals, assists, cards-anything)

Straightforward, non-hypocritical and easy to apply heavy, understandable bans if caught.

Sorry don't really agree with that point.

Like saying drinking is advertised fine but you can't drink and drive.

There's an appropriate time to do certain things and an appropriate time not to.

If you're a fan it's ok to gamble if you're a player it's not. Everyone including players are aware of that.
The comparison isn't app at all.

He wasn't doing the equivalent of drink driving when he bet on his own team to win.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime and, IMO, the rules need to be looked at.

The comparison isn't app at all.

He wasn't doing the equivalent of drink driving when he bet on his own team to win.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime and, IMO, the rules need to be looked at.
Mate I wasn't trying to compare what happened to drink driving. If that's what you took out of my post them it's want a bit over your head.

Is he allowed to train?

The ban on Toney training with his teammates was mad. Surely that's more likely to leave him at a loose end and probably gamble if it is an addiction. Not very mental health friendly.

At least he’s a millionaire and none of his family will have to decimate their life savings to clear his debts for him.

Is he allowed to train?

The ban on Toney training with his teammates was mad. Surely that's more likely to leave him at a loose end and probably gamble if it is an addiction. Not very mental health friendly.

He’s allowed to train. Big period coming up for him:

Think there might be a bit to come out on this, he’s been betting on the black market ain’t he - could well be mixed up with some really dodgy folk.

Last edited:
Could he go to Saudi on Loan in Jan ?

is the ban only for Uefa member leagues or cups
You’d imagine it will need FIFA approval for his registration to transfer, as well saying it is a Worldwide ban as no chance FIFA will undermine the most powerful Association

This thread is up there with the guy who broke his company rules with the train pass.

The guy is a clown for gambling against his own team. Well have the union bears telling him to admit nothing and let them negotiate a quiet word in the betting companies hr departments ear soon :D

This thread is up there with the guy who broke his company rules with the train pass.

The guy is a clown for gambling against his own team. Well have the union bears telling him to admit nothing and let them negotiate a quiet word in the betting companies hr departments ear soon :D

Haven’t seen any confirmation of that? I’d expect the highest punishment going if he had done that.

Tonali's penalty is harsher than the one handed down to Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli as the Newcastle player admitted to previously betting on his own teams, Brescia and Milan. The penalty could have been worse but in the words of Gabriele Gravina, the Italian Football Federation's President, Tonali "collaborated above and beyond expectations".

I really think they should show all the bets these folk have made in order for the public to make proper judgements.

Last edited:
Back