Tottenham v Liverpool

The drop off from Spurs two stars to the rest is frightening, not sure you can get away with building your whole team round two guys these days.

Mourinho's best jobs were when he had a squad of players that would run through a brick wall for him. He needs to try and emulate that some how.

Mourinho's best jobs were when he had a squad of players that would run through a brick wall for him. He needs to try and emulate that some how.
Is it arrogance though, thinking he can make the likes of Eric Dier into some form of Chelsea 04/05 fortress.

Chelsea or Inter he had a few world class players & some very very good players, with this squad he doesn’t.

Dier had two hands grappling the Liverpool player including a handful of his shirt, the ball hits Dier’s arm first then the Liverpool player’s arm. So, in effect, two free kick offences, including one - the shirt pull that should have attracted a yellow card - before the Liverpool player’s handball but Martin Atkinson awards a free kick to Spurs. That was Scottish referee level incompetence.

As far as I understand it, it's not the job of VAR to find free-kicks in midfield, other than those which lead to goals or other game-changing events. The referee only gives the ones that are linked to goals etc.

Is it arrogance though, thinking he can make the likes of Eric Dier into some form of Chelsea 04/05 fortress.

Chelsea or Inter he had a few world class players & some very very good players, with this squad he doesn’t.

I would say with Inter he had a couple of top drawer players, but the squad wasn't littered with superstars. Only Eto'o in that team I think had won a Champions League prior to winning it with Inter. Players like Stankovic, Pandev, Chivu, Muntari, Mariga in the squad. Good players yes, but you wouldn't pick any of them in a world 11 or anything.

Spurs were awful apart from first 10 minutes

Not sure why they changed as the ball over the top to Son was on every time early on

Mourinho and Spurs deserve all they get for the way they set up

Mourinho thinking he can play Liverpool with a back 5 including Dier, Roden, Doherty and Aurier and somehow defend for 90 minutes tells me he is losing it

I would say with Inter he had a couple of top drawer players, but the squad wasn't littered with superstars. Only Eto'o in that team I think had won a Champions League prior to winning it with Inter. Players like Stankovic, Pandev, Chivu, Muntari, Mariga in the squad. Good players yes, but you wouldn't pick any of them in a world 11 or anything.
Your omitting Sneijder from that post :))

Maicon & Cesear stake a case for being world class too, along with top players like Samuel & Lúcio.

They beat Spurs comfortably IMO.

I just don’t see Mourinho having as much ‘talent’ to work with here, so the players have no plan B when K/S aren't Available.

Your omitting Sneijder :))

Maicon & Cesear stake a case for being world class too, along with top players like Samuel & Lúcio.

Aye, he was the other top drawer player after Eto'o . I thought that would have been obvious :)

They would beat this Spurs side absolutely, but they only got 9 points in the group and were underdogs v Chelsea and Barcelona. They done brilliantly but there were a lot better squads around at the time. They were totally unfancied.

Aye, he was the other top drawer player after Eto'o . I thought that would have been obvious :)

They would beat this Spurs side absolutely, but they only got 9 points in the group and were underdogs v Chelsea and Barcelona. They done brilliantly but there were a lot better squads around at the time. They were totally unfancied.
Yeah that’s fair enough but they had people he could turn to when the big guys weren’t on it, I’m sure all the Spurs lads can run but they need to do more than that.

Why did he play the kid tonight btw?.

Spurs badly need two top centre halves and someone else to rely on when Kane is out. Totally pathetic second half from them.

It’s a shame Bale has effectively chucked Football now, he should just go to China for a short payday.

Spurs badly need two top centre halves and someone else to rely on when Kane is out. Totally pathetic second half from them.

It’s a shame Bale has effectively chucked Football now, he should just go to China for a short payday.

Their best centre back was sat on the bench all game. I really dont know what Jose was thinking with that back five.

Started off so well and just seemed to give up.

Spurs would be aswell just sending back Bale to Madrid, totally pointless signing and looks like Levy made it.

Very poor from Spurs tonight, disappointing really.

Not sure China have any good courses for him to play on to be honest.

Cesar was regarded as one of the worlds best keepers at that point and was Brazil’s number one, Maicon (regarded as the best right back in the world at the time along with Alves, he was Brazil’s first pick though), Samuel, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Sneijder, Milito. These were all exceptional top level talents, that squad was bursting with talent.

Your omitting Sneijder from that post :))

I just don’t see Mourinho having as much ‘talent’ to work with here, so the players have no plan B when K/S aren't Available.

In agreement there. They definitely had more than a couple of top drawer players.

Milito scored 30 goals in 52 games that season. Was a hugely effective and underrated player. Caused problems to any team.

Maicon and Cesear were two of the strongest players in their positions that season. Maicon was arguably the best right back in the world at the time.

Eto'o was class and Sneijder after playing a pivotal role in winning the CL then played a pivotal role in getting Holland to the World Cup 2010.

Then there was Javier Zanetti, who is an Inter and football legend.

Cesar was regarded as one of the worlds best keepers at that point and was Brazil’s number one, Maicon (regarded as the best right back in the world at the time along with Alves, he was Brazil’s first pick though), Samuel, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Sneijder, Milito. These were all exceptional top level talents, that squad was bursting with talent.

Not one of them had a Champions League title and I don't think any of them won another after that season. Mourinho took a team that hadn't won very much and turned them in to a fantastic unit.

In agreement there. They definitely had more than a couple of top drawer players.

Milito scored 30 goals in 52 games that season. Was a hugely effective and underrated player. Caused problems to any team.

Maicon and Cesear were two of the strongest players in their positions that season. Maicon was arguably the best right back in the world at the time.

Eto'o was class and Sneijder after playing a pivotal role in winning the CL then played a pivotal role in getting Holland to the World Cup 2010.

Then there was Javier Zanetti, who is an Inter and football legend.

Good players yeah, successful in the terms of trophies? Not very. Mourinho was the one that turned them in to the team they are remembered as.

The previous year they were papped out the last 16. It's easy to look back at the squad now, but at the time they weren't among the favourites at all.

Not one of them had a Champions League title and I don't think any of them won another after that season. Mourinho took a team that hadn't won very much and turned them in to a fantastic unit.

Yeah but what does that matter? Zlatan doesn’t have one, Brazilian Ronaldo never won one, neither did Buffon, Cannavaro, Mathaus, Nedved and Batistuta. They were clearly world class talents though.

Roberto Di Matteo did with Chelsea what Mourinho couldn’t do with them, in fact so did Avram Grant in that he got them into a final. You need a bit of luck in the competition to anyway and it wasn’t exactly a tale of Mourinho taking this team lacking in serious depth of talent to glory. That Inter side was choc full of top level talent is the only point I’m trying to make really B-D

Good players yeah, successful in the terms of trophies? Not very. Mourinho was the one that turned them in to the team they are remembered as.

A lot of those players had won a glut of trophies mate. Before winning that CL, Zanetti had won 5 Serie A titles, Maicon 4, Cesear 4. That's without including cup competitions.

Mourinho undoubtedly formed them into a great side but there was more than a couple of top players in the side. I don't think winning or not winning a CL alone signifies top player status.

If we're going into big trophy wins being all that matters, the Inter squad that year had 2 World Cup winners.

Kane with his usual January injury. They must be the last 3 or 4 seasons he's picked up an injury at this time

Back