Trophies or wages?

What would be most important to you as a footballer?

• Decent wage with chance of trophies

• No chance of trophies but double the wage

Results are only viewable after voting.
Trophies are far more important than money.

Footballers in general are a bit thick and will waste their money no matter how much they are paid, they will gamble it away or spend it on nights out in tacky rip off bars in the Mediterranean.

There are some exemptions to that such as Robbie Fowler and Thomas Graversen who spent their money wisely.

Our own Sasa Papac was a good example of being content with decent earnings.
Drove a normal car, retired young to be with his family.

Depends on the stage of my career. If i was starting out then definitely money. If i was nearing the end of my career, and had made my money, then trophies.

The thing is, there are probably only maybe 20-30 footballers in entire world that can literally pick their club and be almost guaranteed to be at the elite teams that are regularly winning trophies. Everyone else is, in reality fighting for the scraps. So, maybe if you are in that 20-30, trophies would be at the forefront because let's be honest, you are going to be paid the going rate a player at that level is paid.

However, for the rest the reality is make as much money as you can and work hard to try and get noticed by the clubs that are in with a chance of winning the major trophies.

Last edited:
Birthday cerd pish to those who say trophies.

It's a short career, 10-15 years tops usually. Trophies won't feed your family for the rest of your days.

If the question was say, £100k a week at Chelsea or £200k a week in China then the answer might be different because you'd still be a multi millionaire but still. 9/10, money.
Agreed.

It's not just about money to set yourself up for the rest of your life.

If it's real big dosh contracts, you're talking about setting up inheritable multi-generational wealth for your children's' children etc.

“Decent” wages for a footballer would probably be more than any of us are ever likely to earn

Not all trophies are equal. Win the league in Qatar 10 times for $1000 a week or come 6th in Scotland for $5000?
Most players have no real love for the clubs they play for.
Why would Goldson and Kamara care about Rangers as much as we do? Not a dig at them just looking at it from their perspective. 10th in the EPL for them is probably a bigger achievement than winning the SPFL again.
Kamara will probably go to a top 10 team in the EPL , Goldson a bottom 6 club at best but probably a mid table championship club Goldson has had I decent season for us he will never play for a bigger club than us he will find out that the grass is not always greener on the other side as Barry found out going to Blackburn he said so himself , Goldson will find out the hard way & find out that he is not as good as he thinks he is I don't even think he is the best C/H at Ibrox .

Unless it was with Rangers then money every time. Even then, if I had achieved everything I wanted to with Rangers and the opportunity to treble or quadruple my wage came up, I’d probably jump at it.

I rarely think players actually support teams as much as fans do, not a massive shock really, majority of kids who reach at a decent level don't really have the time to become emotionally invested in a football team the way your proper fan does.

Came in to post this. I recall an interview with Jig and Naismith before the 3-0 OF win in 07/08, both commented it would be first they'd ever attended never mind played in.

When 15/16 year olds are being tempted by bigger clubs with cash incentives before they even get first team experience never mind trophies,It’s obviously all about the money.
I have often questioned whether the youth system at Rangers is worth the investment that is pumped into it,Paterson has really been the exception.

Half the wage, with trophies. No money could buy playing for Rangers and winning things.

"trophies don't pay the bills"

agreed

what we're talking about is players that are already set up for life

then it's not so black and white

It all depends on how you define 'decent' - everyone plays the game to win and win trophies. Decent salary and trophies for me

With some players thinking of not signing a contract these days, what would be your thinking in the situation. Doesn't need to be Rangers you sign for as we all know the answer. Must be a hard decision for some players, secure there familys future or stay somewhere that they can win trophies and become a legend.
Trophies don’t put food in your child’s belly or a roof over your head.

The difference in the answer between the football fan and the football player will always be different.

We'd all want to play for Rangers, that's the ambition growing up. After that though? Unless you are at the very top level, there are few who will move for both cash and trophies.

Money. The answer is always money.
I’d agree but not if it’s playing for Rangers.
I think I’d put making Rangers as successful as I possibly could ahead of a couple of grand a week.
This is assuming my salary was helluva good to start with, enough to make me comfortable post playing.
Idealism, not doubt but, that’s what I’d like to be.
Don’t get me wrong, if it isn’t Rangers I’m playing for, it’d be money every time, other than it being Celtic.
Personal happiness has got to be worth something.

2 million a year to play for Chelsea

Or 4 million a year to play in qatar

Chelsea every time
This is a false equivalence. The very top sides pay as much actually far more than sides in Qatar, China, The United States. There is not a list, certainly not a long list of players who could be competing to win the top leagues and European honours who are rejecting that chance to make silly cash in high paid diddy leagues.

The reality is a lot more like the Vlad Wiess situation a player who could have played for lower half of the table sides in the big 5 leagues for decent wages, could have been a star player and won trophies for a big club in a smaller league for less money, or could earn a massive wage, have a fabulous standard of life and secure his family for generations in Qatar or a similar league.

We all have an enormous emotional attachment to Rangers which drives us towards one answer. But without that if the choice was stay in Belgium with Brugge for years on end or head out to the Middle East for silly money we may find ourselves making a different choice.

Last edited:
Not all trophies are equal. Win the league in Qatar 10 times for $1000 a week or come 6th in Scotland for $5000?
Most players have no real love for the clubs they play for.
Why would Goldson and Kamara care about Rangers as much as we do? Not a dig at them just looking at it from their perspective. 10th in the EPL for them is probably a bigger achievement than winning the SPFL again.
I need to disagree with the last part of this

Nowadays I think if you had a low paying job but that job gives you happiness then you stick with that although before the years rolled the dice, thoughts were about money, money, money!

Struggling with the question to be honest, apart from Rangers where would you be expected to win trophies but could earn more money at a lower half EPL team? Most clubs across Europe who'd be expected to win trophies probably pay EPL level wages.

Give me an example option of 2 clubs for the choice.

Struggling with the question to be honest, apart from Rangers where would you be expected to win trophies but could earn more money at a lower half EPL team? Most clubs across Europe who'd be expected to win trophies probably pay EPL level wages.

Arsenal for wages

Ajax for trophies

Football is a limited career

People will choose money the vast majority of the time. And if they can get trophies with bigger money , then even better.

Helander seems to be an outlier in all this. He said after the speculation that he loves it here and has no desire to move anywhere when he’s found a place he’s settled and in love with.
Easy to say that when still here. Be different if we got a real bid and not just an enquiry

Big money will always win.

Bin all league cups, they are not a major trophy.

League titles are the only important domestic trophies.

Even FA cups in big leagues have been devalued.

The hardest I suspect that for a lot of the decisions players have it can be more than double which become really hard to turn down.

Only if you defineEurope as Italy, Spain, Germany and France. In the case of the latter 2 you are talking about one club in each country.
Take your pick fom Portugal, Switzerland, Netherlands, Croatia, Serbia, Belgium etc and no club is paying top level Championship money let alone EPL. Majority of top clubs in these leagues probably closer to League One wages.

Money until I had enough for life and maybe the kids life as well. After that it’s trophy’s and/or a contract at Real, Man City, PSG etc with a treat myself to a final year or two at the famous.
While i agree wrt living off what you've earned through your career but surely you'd want your children to earn their own money, unlikely to be through football/sport seeing as not many children follow in the footsteps of their parents in sport although there are exceptions, so education would probably be better for them seeing as you'd have the money to buy the best education possible. That would be more beneficial for them.

They'd get your money anyway when you croak unless it's been bevvied/gambled/wasted away by other means ;)

I think most people on here at one time another have tried or moved for more money in their job, why do they think footballers would be different?

Ask yourself if you would take a job for twice the money or take the job at half the money where you won employee of the month most times, simples

I graduated in civil engineering in the seventies. I have known many people over the past decades who moved to the middle east on double wages and tax free. However, I know many more who were better engineers but chose not to do so. In real terms the extra money was more life changing than the football salaries but most people decide not to uproot/leave their family.

Most of the people who go to the middle east are chasing money - nothing wrong with that. But some are only able to get those jobs because other, more talented people have decided it is not for them.

I appreciate the earnings window in football is a much shorter one but if you are on say, £1M pa then I do not think you have to keep chasing the money. I would want to play football at the highest level possible and have a good quality of life whilst doing so. On that basis I would say no to anything like China but also no to the likes of Man City if I thought I was going to struggle to get 10 starts a season.

Back