Match Thread Turkey v Italy

Berardi scored 17 in 30 Serie A games last season (getting 8 assists), and scored in the 4-0 win against the Czech’s last week.

Chiesa was Juve’s star man last season and got 16 in 49 across all competitions, but that’s in a system tailored to fit Ronaldo.

Really surprised Berardi is playing, if true.

Berardi suits that right hand side more, and I'd say Chiesa will have a better impact running at tired legs than Berardi.
Meh not sure I agree with the first part.

Berardi is more of a goal threat but Chiesa is a better player - although Berardi is essentially an Insigne on the other side so makes sense.

Gutted for Chiesa.

@GeckoBear29 did you take him out? :))

Stuck £20 on Italy to win the tournament earlier so that’ll mean they’ll be shite and get pumped out at the group stage

Got Barella in midfield for my dream team. Jorginho or Locatelli for the other spot. Who do we think?

8pm kick off.

Home advantage for Italy.

Predicted line-ups (from the Daily Telegraph)

Italy (4-3-3)
: Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Spinazzola; Barella, Jorginho, Locatelli; Chiesa, Immobile, Insigne.
Turkey (4-1-4-1): Çakir; Celik, Söyüncü, Demiral, Meras; Yokuslu; Karaman, Yazici, Tufan, Calhanoglu; Yilmaz.

Odds
Italy: 1/2
Turkey: 7/1
Draw: 14/5

I reckon Italy get off to a winning start with a 2-1 win.
I'm half Italian. Nearly as much as an italy man as a Scotland man so a big one for me tonight.

Head says Italy 3-1, heart says 4-0 Italy.

I’m getting increasingly worried that Mancini is going to start Bonucci.
I think it will be much tighter than that mate. Hopefully you're right though. Buzzing for this.

I'm getting excited for this tournament. Have not bothered about Scotland for years but my granddaughters are even talking about it, so getting into the mood.

if there isn't a goal in the first 10 minutes, this thread will be as if Mark Lawrenson cloned himself and decided to spend some time in it :cool:

generally most opening games don't have too many goals in it, the Euros is especially not very good for them. Going back to 1976, the opening game has only had 3 goals max in it. 1960 had a France 4-5 Yugoslavia game, don't think we'll get that :D

I've gone

Italy to win
Both teams to get at least 1 booking
Immobile to score at any time
Only 1 team to score.

I think Italy wins this 1-0 or 2-0.

It just doesn't seem right to me that some teams will have home advantage in games and others won't

1 or 2 host nations max, i hope this is the last we see of this multi national pish

Turkey won't be an easy team to beat but Italy should get the win - if they Italians can just click properly they do have some excellent players.

I think if UEFA and FIFA want expanded tournaments then it'll be inevitable that we'll have multiple hosts. The likes of Germany and England could host a large scale European Championship on their own. I have no idea how Qatar will cope with the World Cup and an expanded World Cup would see quite a few places struggle. The only places that could potentially host in the future are America, England and Germany.

Multi-venue hosting is probably here to stay, but I'd have far less than 11 venues. Should be a maximum of 2 host countries. 3 at a push if you were looking at the likes of Holland and Belgium again. Or a combined Scandinavian tournament.

Back