UEFA cup final 2008

One of my best days ever following the Gers, it was an incredible day and one I will remember for the rest of my life, being handed a 75 quid (freebie) ticket 3 hours before kick off was up there with the best feelings ever, blagged hospitality (long story) and then the walk to the ground, the realisation I was going to see Rangers in a major European final was almost difficult to comprehend.

The result was a crushing disappointment but I still look back fondly on the whole experience, although I will never watch the game back.

P.s
It was I am the Resurrection they played at half time ;)

When Denisov scored i can honestly say it felt like i had been physically kicked in the gut - Been on the receiving end of last minute winners and a few pastings from them through the years but the way i felt when that went in i can't fully explain. The highs and lows of that day i don't think i'll ever experience similar again in my life. I was 100% convinced we were going to do it in Manchester - There was not a single doubt in my mind.
I remember at half time I was thinking to myself “we are going to do this”because truth be told I wasn’t overly impressed by Zenit and we were very comfortable and most bears around me were saying that we had beaten better teams to get here.ironicaly we lost the goal when I thought we were on top and had made the best chances in the game.in hindsight it was always going to come down to the first goal.

Never watched a minute of the final and don't know if I ever will.

At half time I was daring to dream. That whole end to the season still hurts a lot and is up there with losing out on 10IAR.

Was at the game with my dad, still pains me to hear "Best of you" especially as a foo's fan. neither of us have ever watched it back.
took us until 1am to get back to Bury and the hotel. was a hard car journey back up the road. wouldnt change a thing except the result.
still remember the look on my dads face when he seen the tear in my eye, he just put his arm around me and said "next time son". :(

I remember at half time I was thinking to myself “we are going to do this”because truth be told I wasn’t overly impressed by Zenit and we were very comfortable and most bears around me were saying that we had beaten better teams to get here.ironicaly we lost the goal when I thought we were on top and had made the best chances in the game.in hindsight it was always going to come down to the first goal.

That was the sickener - My conviction drained out of me as soon as it went in. Absolutely crushing

I must say I though our support at the end were magnificent,showed our appreciation to the efforts of our players and management but equally were sporting enough to applaud Zenit going up to collect the trophy even though it hurt like %^*& watching it.

Anyone remember the riot cops coming into Piccadilly station that night and promptly being asked to leave by contingent of very large what sounded like Ulstermen, that station was rammed.

Went down the night before, and had rented a brilliant flat near the canal. The journey down could only be described as epic. I've never seen so many cars, buses, vans, lorries all bedecked in red white and blue and union flags.

The first night down and the whole lead up the game was just incredible, made even better by some astonishingly good weather.

However, I've never watched the game again. It was such a massive disappointment. A 1/4 of a million bears in Manchester, another 50,000 at Ibrox, and we didn't even have a single goal to celebrate.

The trip to Manchester will stay with me forever as one of my best memories of travelling with Rangers, but the match itself, and the way we were treated by the authorities at the time, will always remain a bitter, bitter aftertaste that I can't ever forget or forgive.

I was in the travel club so had no worries about a ticket but it was looking, for a while, that I wouldn’t be allowed to go. I had just started my job which had a 12 week residential training course. Missing days for anything other than illness wasn’t really allowed. Watched the semi final in a boozer in Gullane which was totally rocking, and was in the boss’ office first thing in the morning absolutely begging him to let me go.

Surprisingly he agreed to it pretty quickly but I was only allowed to miss half a day. Left at 1pm on game day, drove fairly irresponsibly and was in Manchester not long after 4. My dad had already rung me to say to not bother with the city centre as it was rammed so I went straight to the ground and spent a couple of hours wandering around the stadium with my granny, Aunt and uncle , chatting to fellow Bears, and some Russians too. I always remember a young lassie of about 12 absolutely inconsolable as her and her dad had been turned away from the Zenit section.

Into the ground and there was a real sense of belief that we could do it and I’m not ashamed to admit there were tears as the teams walked out. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be but I was incredibly proud of what that team achieved. The drive up the road up was a long one, made worse by some poor sod losing his life in an RTC. I was praying that it wasn’t one of our fans. I never did find out.

If I had one gripe about the whole experience it was the bloody volume of the PA system. I thought it killed the pre-match atmosphere as you couldn’t hear yourself think, never mind getting sings going, and as a result our support were very tense and didn’t really produce the atmosphere we are capable of.

For months i thought we lost one nil was in albert square i don't know how i missed second goal .

I was in the travel club so had no worries about a ticket but it was looking, for a while, that I wouldn’t be allowed to go. I had just started my job which had a 12 week residential training course. Missing days for anything other than illness wasn’t really allowed. Watched the semi final in a boozer in Gullane which was totally rocking, and was in the boss’ office first thing in the morning absolutely begging him to let me go.

Surprisingly he agreed to it pretty quickly but I was only allowed to miss half a day. Left at 1pm on game day, drove fairly irresponsibly and was in Manchester not long after 4. My dad had already rung me to say to not bother with the city centre as it was rammed so I went straight to the ground and spent a couple of hours wandering around the stadium with my granny, Aunt and uncle , chatting to fellow Bears, and some Russians too. I always remember a young lassie of about 12 absolutely inconsolable as her and her dad had been turned away from the Zenit section.

Into the ground and there was a real sense of belief that we could do it and I’m not ashamed to admit there were tears as the teams walked out. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be but I was incredibly proud of what that team achieved. The drive up the road up was a long one, made worse by some poor sod losing his life in an RTC. I was praying that it wasn’t one of our fans. I never did find out.

If I had one gripe about the whole experience it was the bloody volume of the PA system. I thought it killed the pre-match atmosphere as you couldn’t hear yourself think, never mind getting sings going, and as a result our support were very tense and didn’t really produce the atmosphere we are capable of.
Totally agree about the PA system,I always imagined that if we ever got to an European final the place would be rocking but I never felt our support got really going pre match as it was drowned out

Totally agree about the PA system,I always imagined that if we ever got to an European final the place would be rocking but I never felt our support got really going pre match as it was drowned out
I thought the support as a whole wasn't that loud, especially for a European final. I kind of put that down to a lot of freebies, hangers on and daytrippers being there in place of Bears.

Foos brings it back. hope we start singing it, Saw them a few years ago and a full crowd singing the 'wooohhhoooo' bit is incredible.

Caught up in the Piccadilly screen so never saw the game, and haven't watched it since.

Feels really bizarre that I missed the biggest game of my lifetime so far.

Was a cracking day - will never forget it. Was in Piccadilly Gardens when the screens went off, remember there was a cheer when someone started a rumour that Broadfoot had scored. We just walked aimlessly around until we got near the stadium. We chapped a door and basically begged a guy to let us watch it in his house, he was sound as a pound and even left us in there (about 10 of us) when he drove to the off licence for a carry out. Made it worth his while giving him a decent whip round.
Was funny, he showed us a leaflet he got through the post saying to be aware of fans in the area.

Heat got to me a bit, ended up pissed off with some of my mates who were just happy to be there. I just thought it was a great opportunity to do the biz - especially in Britain. We’d beaten so many good teams home and away and had a team spirit we hadn’t seen since the great run in 92/93.

Will never watch it back - in fact I couldn’t actually tell you if it was 1-0 or they scored a late one for a second.

Drove down during the night, the service stations full of partying bears, into a multi-storey car park, grabbed a fry up and spend the day in the fan zone. Around late afternoon headed to the stadium, actually quieter there and had a chat with a few nice looking Russian birds. After the game the walk back to the centre was crazy. I think someone had fallen into the canal, could hardly walk through the streets due to the discarded cans. Flute band still having a sash bash under the shopping centre! Headed for home, no petrol on the motorway so had to head towards Keswick to fill up.
An incredible experience

We played well enough in the final, game itself like others in that run was a bit of a non-event. Fist goal actual came from slackness at our on throw-in. We were lucky to avoid a stonewall pen for a handball by Broadfoot right on HT

Christ, are you me? Had exactly the same experience, except it was two tickets for £1600. Ended up in the velodrome after some heated discussions. Cops were sympathetic and were prepared to bunch the Russians up and segregate the area. However it was the UEFA match official who had the final say and wouldn't let us in.

The only "consolation" was that we lost. I'd never have got over having legit tickets and not being allowed in to watch us lift a european trophy.

Shit end to an absolutely wonderful day.

Yes very similar experience.
Every time i think about what i did to try and get in to the game that no Gers fan would wish to miss, i have to laugh at myself.

We played well enough in the final, game itself like others in that run was a bit of a non-event. Fist goal actual came from slackness at our on throw-in. We were lucky to avoid a stonewall pen for a handball by Broadfoot right on HT

What about the handball that should have given US a penalty.

Yes very similar experience.
Every time i think about what i did to try and get in to the game that no Gers fan would wish to miss, i have to laugh at myself.

Me and my uncle gave our Rangers shirts to two random mancs in exchange for their civvies and tried to get back in. Turnstile guys rumbled us right away and started questioning us in Russian. Was gutted at the time. Truly gutted. But on reflection now I guess it was all just part of a once in a lifetime experience. Sitting in that velodrome watching the game ebb away from us slowly was torture.

Pre match was awesome, the build up inside the stadium was electric, the match was a let down and I left City of Manchester stadium feeling dejected. Thinking back now, I can barely remember the game.

If only it was the Zenit team of now than the one of Arshavin, Anyukov, Tymoschuk, Shirokov, Denisov... Pogrebynak was on fire that season and with him out, I seriously thought we had a chance.

Never watched the game, not watched highlights and never will.

Was behind the net - That first goal seemed like it was in slow motion.

Still never watched the game on TV

Like many other folk have said - one of the most amazing days of my life. I’d booked onto the 3:30 flight from Glasgow to Manchester in November on spec that I would get a ticket for the final - I assumed that we would qualify in the Champions’ League after pumping Lyon.

Flew down and every station on the way from the airport had more and more bears in it. I had one ticket and got my mate one on the morning of the game. I went to meet him in a boozer in Chinatown knowing I’d be popular.

Split up from him to try to find another couple of guys who were down and had tickets. By that time the trams were off and mobile signal was down.

Walked to the game and bumped in to a couple of guys I was at school with. I was in quite early and went over and spoke to Willie Henderson who was in brilliant form.

The game then started and I remember nothing about the action - I was just too nervous. I can usually remember loads of details about a game I’ve been to, but on that day, zilch.

We got an incling that there might have been some bother as we walked back to Piccadilly - there was loads of broken glass on the streets and riot police out in force.

My mate was giving me a lift back. He was parked at Heald Green out towards the airport. We eventually found a train that would go and we were on our way back up. I kipped at his for about an hour, but had to go to work. Front pages of the papers showed photos of folk who had been injured in some fighting - the first I was aware of.

A day I will never forget.

Anyone remember the riot cops coming into Piccadilly station that night and promptly being asked to leave by contingent of very large what sounded like Ulstermen, that station was rammed.
My mum was going mental at some guy working in the station who had just blatantly lied to us for ages about transport back to Blackpool! Was just pure frustration of the way we had all been treated the whole day. GMP were an utter joke and it could have been so much worse.

I have only seen the second half after being in Picadilly Square for the first half. I thought we played not too bad and it was tough how it went. I've always defended the squad and management team, everything was against us and I don't think we could have changed our whole set up that had worked all season. Only thing I would have changed is starting Novo.

I went down to Manchester the day before game had a brilliant time , spent the day in the fan zones which were over crowded but the main thing was lack of basic facilities ! At one fan zone with around 20k bears there was around 20 toilet cubacles! We were all using the Italian restaurants just off the square. The place was heaving with all tables booked they then shut the place as obviously they had done their business for the day times over. After this I walked over to the standing police officers and asked them where do we go to use toilets as there wasn’t any ! He pointed up the lane and instructed everyone to go there ! I pointed out this was unacceptable but he insisted it was ok and that there was no where else available. The whole Manchester debacable was down to Manchester City not preparing for the massive support! I spoke with police officers the day before and told them the facilities are not enough for the amount of fans coming . Their response was that they were actually from Blackpool and don’t really know the amount of fans turning up. Manchester City councillors let everyone down that day but more ridiculous is the fact that a large screen showing a sporting occasion went blank! Has there ever been the same scenario when a large screen showing an event goes off...............doing it.

Got a $1500 ticket the Friday before the game. Had to book a flight from Houston to Glasgow on the Monday, so needless to say it was an arm and a leg.

Drove down the night before and stayed at one of our groups parents house. 3 of us sleeping on a living room floor, that was about 200 square feet.
We were meeting up with a group at a rented house the morning of the game. Couldn't tell you where it was. Into the town for the game and hung around a main street outside a pub. Brilliant day in the town, only spoiled by a very bland performance.

For the record, if McCulloch and Novo hadn't got in each others way, we'd have equalized in about the 85th minute.

Had arranged a taxi back to the house after the game. Half money up front, other half after. This was just as well, since transportation post match was almost non existent. We had to fight off (not literally) a group who were trying to hijack our lift.

The week cost me about $4k and I'd do it again in a minute.

Never watched the game back, not even the goals and I hate that Foo Fighters song as it was played when Zenit lifted the trophy.

Me and my old man were in the stadium about an hour and a half before kick off (stupidly thought we'd be able to get a pint in there). Can honestly say I've never been prouder as a Rangers fan as when the players ran out that night.

Sadly it was my last game of football with the old man before he passed.

Fond memories of seeing my dad trying to do the bouncy in the stadium ( he wasn’t the best on his feet ), the best bouncy that I have ever been involved in...

Totally agree, the hairs standing on the back of your neck when the players ran out

The dvd was an absolute pile of horse shit.
Bought it, expecting full run-up to the final, highlights of the road to Manchester - all the goals and drama.....
Nup....a recording of the 90mins from the game no-one really wanted to see, no build up, nothing.
Stopped watching after realising that was all it was.
Sitting in a cupboard somewhere now.

The build up from the minute novo scored the penalty through to manchester was amazing.
Booked my bus from london to manchester 15 minutes after the fiorentina game.
An amazing day sitting with a carry out soaking up the atmosphere with everybody then went to albert square and watched the game there,the minute they scored i thought at the time that was it and left the square,i was hoping to hear a big cheer as i was moping about the streets but it never came.
I never seen any of the trouble and only foumd out later when a copper told me as i was getting the bus back to london.

I’ve also never seen the final, was at Piccadilly when the bottles started flying.
Had my Higher English exam 0900 the morning after the match. Rolled into Greenock at 0830 still mingin...

Am sure the half time music was ‘I am the resurrection’ and ‘true faith’. Was a great day, atmosphere in the city was brilliant. Went into Somersfield supermarket in Piccadilly and there was hardly any booze left on the shelves. After the game walking back was weird to walk on broken glass with riot cops all around, and there was funnily enough a small Spar with a queue of Bears outside as it was still selling carry outs of booze.

It was a great day. I remember about a week before it printing out the BBC weather forecast for the day and putting it up on the bulletin board in my lab just to wind up the yahoos. Glorious sunshine.

Milling about Manchester bumping into mates I hadn't seen in years was great.

Was just outside the fanzone at Picadilly when it all kicked off. Just before the police waded in and with the big telly not working there was a rumour went round that Rangers had scored after two minutes. Around me it was pandemonium.

The police were primed and ready at the back of the fans for a while before they went OTT and rammed through us, batons swinging. Folk knocked to the ground. Cunts.

My mate and I scarpered and ran for about a mile. Some Bear stuck his head out from a hotel and shouted 'If you're sober get in here'. We caught the second half.

Afterwards we had to find my brother who had a ticket. Some of the stuff he saw was mental. He helped a guy in a suit to his feet. He was beelding from his head. He was a Manc and had left his office for the train station and turned a corner to see Zenit fans towards him chased by plod. He moved out the road but still got skelped off a rozzer as they went by him.

Saw cars getting torn up by folk with their bare hands, me and my mate also ran from about 10-15 Zenith fans. The place was mental.

Made it back to Trafford to get the bus to find out the cunts had left without us. Taxi to the airport and a hire car got us up the road. Luckily my brother doesn't drink.

Good times.

We drove down the day before, 7 of us in 2 cars. Never seen anything like it, all the bears and all the bridges.

We booked an apartment beside the station after the 1st leg v Fiorentina, just in case!

That evening was great, meal in China town and swally and sash up in the Printworks.

Next morning was a full fry up, i went out to get plastic glasses and some fruit and saw the bears in the square, it was 9am and already i noticed a few english firms, guys with slates of bucky and beer and the sea of blue.

The day was glorious, we were all in the TC so no ticket problems, apart from one friend who had to go out to cheshire to collect a corp ticket from his brother in law (Fenners from SoccerAM). and another who got one for the Zenit end.

We started in the station, drinking in the bar overlooking the concourse, watching the bears arrive in staggering numbers. Piccadilly and Albert Sq were incredible, I hardly drank, had a couple of glasses of fizz, I wanted to be sober. The site of 200,000 plus bears was something I'll never forget. I remember standing on a tram station platform looking each way down the street and I couldn't see a single patch of pavement, it was just bears in blue.

About 3pm the mood perceptibly changed, the cops had left the city and left us to ourselves, there wasn't trouble as such, just lots of bears who had been drinking all day in scorching sun, I felt a little bit of aggro, although this was as much the complete failure to provide any services from water to toilets that got people a bit pissed off.

We went up to the FF do and met Del Monte as he led off the procession to the ground. My mates from Ballymena had a massive red hand that we carried behind Si, blocking the traffic all the way to the ground.

Arrived in plenty of time, had the worst burger i've ever eaten, actually had to throw it up (which is a bit of a metaphor for the organisation and quality of the experience laid on by the City authorities) got into the ground and had pretty crap seats, the last row, wall behind us right below the screen. Minnow got into the Zenit end at the second time of asking, he just exchanged his top with a Zenit fan and tried again, well done lad!

The game, I recall little of, other than numbness at the end. We all grouped together after, (had to wait about half an hour for Minnow to escape the Zenit end) then strolled back to the city.

Very quickly apparent that something was badly wrong. Helicopters in the sky, meat wagons parked in their tens in a shopping centre car park, police done up like Robocop and very very angry. Streets all blocked off, glass everywhere, cops fuming, we got back to the apartment, i was gutted, nobody went out (I know the H&H boys went to the gay village) as we were told to stay in as pubs all shut.

I went for a shower and there was a radio in the cubicle, listening to the first reports of carnage.

The next morning I again went to get some messages from the shops and, well, I haven't seen or smelled anything like what I saw in Piccadilly. Smashed glass covering every cm of the area, the stench of pish on every corner, cleaners moving in to begin the wash up.

On the road up GMS was telling us about the video of the cop being attacked and what to say if we met any press, all in all a sombre end to the ultimate trip of 2 halves.

I've never watched the game back, seen the goals mind.

I heard the theory that the screens were deliberately turned off as, if RFC scored, there was danger of death. I'm quite willing to believe that. The city council, GMP and RFC were totally and utterly unprepared and their refusal to believe the reality of potential numbers caused the madness. They catered for 30k fans and got over 200k. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
Payed £500 around 10 minutes before kick off in Zenit end. Nearly never got in and had to pretend to be a Russian who couldn’t speak a word of English in order to get by both the police and security who were not allowing Bears in.

Closest I’ve ever been to tears after a match, never expected to win it but was completely gutted at the performance.

People in the thread saying they were proud at the team. I wasn’t, they were fuc.king horseshit that night.

We drove down the day before, 7 of us in 2 cars. Never seen anything like it, all the bears and all the bridges.

We booked an apartment beside the station after the 1st leg v Fiorentina, just in case!

That evening was great, chinky in China town and swally and sash up in the pub (Press gallery or something like that)

Next morning was a full fry up, i went out to get plastic glasses and some fruit and saw the bears in the square, it was 9am and already i noticed a few english firms, guys with slates of bucky and beer and the sea of blue.

The day was glorious, we were all in the TC so no ticket problems, apart from one friend who had to go out to cheshire to collect a corp ticket from his brother in law (Fenners from SoccerAM). and another who got one for the Zenit end.

We started in the station, drinking in the bar overlooking the concourse, watching the bears arrive in staggering numbers. Piccadilly and Albert Sq were incredible, I hardly drank, had a couple of glasses of fizz, I wanted to be sober. The site of 200,000 plus bears was something I'll never forget. I remember standing on a tram station platform looking each way down the street and I couldn't see a single patch of pavement, it was just bears in blue.

About 3pm the mood perceptibly changed, the cops had left the city and left us to ourselves, there wasn't trouble as such, just lots of bears who had been drinking all day in scorching sun, I felt a little bit of aggro, although this was as much the complete failure to provide any services from water to toilets that got people a bit pissed off.

We went up to the FF do and met Del Monte as he led off the procession to the ground. My mates from Ballymena had a massive red hand that we carried behind Si, blocking the traffic all the way to the ground.

Arrived in plenty of time, had the worst burger i've ever eaten, actually had to throw it up (which is a bit of a metaphor for the organisation and quality of the experience laid on by the City authorities) got into the ground and had pretty crap seats, the last row, wall behind us right below the screen. Minnow got into the Zenit end at the second time of asking, he just exchanged his top with a Zenit fan and tried again, well done lad!

The game, I recall little of, other than numbness at the end. We all grouped together after, (had to wait about half an hour for Minnow to escape the Zenit end) then strolled back to the city.

Very quickly apparent that something was badly wrong. Helicopters in the sky, meat wagons parked in their tens in a shopping centre car park, police done up like Robocop and very very angry. Streets all blocked off, glass everywhere, cops fuming, we got back to the apartment, i was gutted, nobody went out (I know the H&H boys went to the gay village) as we were told to stay in as pubs all shut.

I went for a shower and there was a radio in the cubicle, listening to the first reports of carnage.

The next morning I again went to get some messages from the shops and, well, I haven't seen or smelled anything like what I saw in Piccadilly. Smashed glass covering every cm of the area, the stench of pish on every corner, cleaners moving in to begin the wash up.

On the road up GMS was telling us about the video of the cop being attacked and what to say if we met any press, all in all a sombre end to the ultimate trip of 2 halves.

I've never watched the game back, seen the goals mind.

I heard the theory that the screens were deliberately turned off as, if RFC scored, there was danger of death. I'm quite willing to believe that. The city council, GMP and RFC were totally and utterly unprepared and their refusal to believe the reality of potential numbers caused the madness. They catered for 30k fans and got over 200k. Disgraceful.
To be fair to rangers they constantly told the authorities in Manchester in the run up that they were ill prepared for what was coming.they told them it was utter madness to set up screens in the city and it would be better to set up screens in parks on the outskirts

To be fair to rangers they constantly told the authorities in Manchester in the run up that they were ill prepared for what was coming.they told them it was utter madness to set up screens in the city and it would be better to set up screens in parks on the outskirts

fair enough

But Manchester authorities/businesses in town thought ‘we can make millions from the visiting fans’. If I recall initially the authorities said don’t travel to Manchester unless you have a ticket, then I presume some lobbying from the local businesses made them change it to’ you are all welcome’

I was nearly 13 and was lucky enough to have a ticket for the game with my dad that we received through the UEFA ballot.

We stayed out of the city centre for most of the day and done the Old Trafford tour etc. We then walked up to the game in plenty of time.

Can hardly remember any of the game apart from Papac clearing one off the line and Novo missing a sitter.

Got caught up in the bother trying to get back to the hotel which was right on Piccadilly Gardens, turned a corner and dozens of police ran by us being chased by bears.

Looking back now I don't think I was old enough to fully appreciate the occasion but I'll be forever grateful to my parents for it.

I was fortunate enough to get a ticket for the game alongside my brother but still haven’t watched it back. Living in Manchester now, I still think back to that day when I’m in town walking through the streets of Manchester. Regardless of the result I almost have a smile on my face when I think back. I was incredibly proud of the players for getting that far. Most of the fans that day were brilliant as well. The icing on the cake would have been a result but then you can’t have everything.

Still have this hanging in my office as a wee reminder of a great day spent with my bro!

2ntuvfb.jpg

Last edited:
Had a cracking time apart from the result and the screen malfunctioning at Piccadilly. We walked to Albert Square and by the time we were allowed in it was 70 minutes into the match.

Booked a holiday in Portugal months before the final, ended up flying back to Manchester Wednesday morning, and back to PortugalThursday morning to finish off the holiday. Apart from the result, the biggest blot on the day was getting stuck in a queue with a faulty turnstile for an hour, and missing the pre match sing song and build up, the stewards outside were effin useless.

The only thing I can watch about the game is the video on YouTube of the bouncy in the stadium.

Things I remember most about the day, driving through Manchester and the sea of bears. Novos chance and the queue in the greggs in the fan zone as they fired out steak bakes by the hundreds.

Very proud to have witnessed us in a European final, hope to gid I see it again in my lifetime.

Was there with my son, daughter in law and some friends. I’ve never watched any highlights or excerpts from the game and doubt if I ever will. It was just such a huge disappointment after some truly wonderful moments on the run to the final.

Slept on the lounge floor in the Black Lion in Salford for two nights, surreal experience and one that will live with me forever. Loved the build up and was at Picadilly the night before and pre match. I had a sense things were going to kick off around 4pm on Final night simply because the GMP kept asking how many more bears are coming down, they sounded panicky and drafted more resources from Bolton, Wigan and around the North West.

I've my own opinion on why the screen went down but it's not for this thread. I didn't have a ticket so made my way back to the Black Lion and watched the game in my so called bedroom with a case of Carling. Gutted at the outcome but I loved the whole experience. I've never watched the game back neither. Don't think I can tbh. As for the song from the Foo Fighters, everytime I hear it, it takes me back to Manchester in 2008.

I only got a ticket around 6 at night ( think i paid £350) and so it was a rush getting to the ground and couldn’t really enjoy the pre match. The one regret I have is that I drank too much on the day and didn’t really get to take in the whole game, felt like it was over in a flash. Who of Manchester felt eirie after the game and ended up walking about for hours until I met up with friends and ended up in a taxi to stay over in Macclesfield

Back