Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

TBB is finished, and so will Rangers in Europe and a challenge for #55 this season if people can’t grasp the basics here.

It’s done. There’s no argument.

FTP and 19th Century Terrorist is done for the Rangers songbook. Forever. Unless you want to damage the club. That’s your choice. But it’s selfish and moronic as f*ck.

These words have got f*ck all to do with our traditions and f*ck all to do with Rangers Football Club.

TBB is finished, and so will Rangers in Europe and a challenge for #55 this season if people can’t grasp the basics here.

FTP and 19th Century Terrorist is done for the Rangers songbook. Forever. Unless you want to damage the club. That’s your choice. But it’s selfish and moronic as f*ck.

These words have got f*ck all to do with our traditions and f*ck all to do with Rangers Football Club.

Yeah, i agree but also think the club need to come out and specifically state what songs are banned so there’s no ambiguity.

The worry is that there’s a large % of folk who have the attitude that they’ll sing what they want and dont care what others say. We need to start drowning out songs with boos or singing over it.

2 days after the club announce a partial stadium ban we had fans singing We are rangers, super rangers - what is it going to take for them to wisen up?

I'm not " cool" ( what adult actually says that? ) of us being charged with anything at all. I'm furious we are being treated unfairly and being seen as racist.

So you don’t mind being found guilty of being a sectarian bigot but you object to the term racist? Strange view

Personally I find both fairly equally offensive.

So you don’t mind being found guilty of being a sectarian bigot but you object to the term racist? Strange view

Personally I find both fairly equally offensive.

Sigh!!

I mind us being judged and treated differently but, that's, what I meant by equality and parity..never mind!

Last edited:
I said on Friday and will say again.

We've been charged, found guilty and sentenced without actually being told what we have allegedly done.

It is assumed what the offending chant/song was..............but, there is no clarity.

We have seen goalposts being moved for years to suit haters agendas - so, to move on, we need ensure there is no ambiguity.

What is also a bit weird about this is UEFA have basically said "Close 3k seats"................Is there any precedent for this? Normally they identify the areas that have to be closed?
There is no ambiguity and it wasn't allegedly. We sang a song which we are banned from singing in all forms and caught bang to rights, i
No its not weird. Check out the other clubs punished in exactly the same manner.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/disciplinary/index.html#
Horrifying no? They are absolutely ruthless handing out the punishments when it comes to breaking their rules.

So they started it but everyone else who joined in from other parts of the ground are exempt then? Is that what we are saying ? So if the guy next to me starts singing FTP and whatever I can join in and no get the blame cause he started it ? That’s what these corrupt bastards at FARE are trying to do, cut off our main source of backing in the stadium. I agree this sectarian stuff has to stop but to single out one specific part of the ground is disgraceful and the Club are at it if they think that’s the only section the stuff comes from. They can hit us with pish like ‘ but that’s the part that’s being reported’ if they like but they better get real and stop pandering to the bastards who hate our very existence .

They are the self proclaimed voice of Ibrox. If they want that mantle then they have to take the responsibility it comes with.

Wtf were they singing TBB when we're 6 nil up against st Joseph's anyway? Everyone knows it's a banned song so a fan group whose purpose it is is to create atmosphere in Ibrox should know better.

I'm fucking raging at the board about this but I have no sympathy for the union bears what so ever. Utter idiocy.

Last edited:
A total embarrassment of a statement, not least because there is no mention of them cleaning up their act, which could in turn act as a catalyst for other fans to wise up

Something the "voice of Ibrox" should be trying to encourage, and they've missed the opportunity

They are the self proclaimed voice of Ibrox. If they want that mantle then they have to take the responsibility it comes with.

Wtf were they singing TBB when we're 6 nil up against st Joseph's anyway? Everyone knows it's a banned song so a fan group whose purpose it is is to create atmosphere in Ibrox should know better.

I'm fucking raging at the board about this but I have no sympathy for the union bears what so ever. Utter idiocy.

I think everyone should know better. Every away game it’s a lot more than just them that gets involved in the singing, complete with add-ons, so it’s wrong to lay it all at their door. That said I’ve read this thread with interest and whilst I think the UB are a fantastic addition to the support, the Club have possibly used this as an opportunity to send a message, not only to UEFA, but the UB and wider support in general, given that’s where the singing starts from for the majority.

There seems to be a bit of a fractured relationship with the Club and UB just now and it crossed my mind that the Club might look at closing the section in the same way the Scum did with the GB twats. I’m not asking for that to happen btw before anyone loses it, just trying to reason why the UB have been singled out here, rather than spreading the seat closures amongst other areas of the ground on top of CD. If what I e said about the group and the club is true, their statement is idiotic in the extreme. They could’ve made the point but also taken a bit of responsibility. I've sung the songs myself so not getting High and shitey here, but it does seem to drive an even bigger wedge between them when we quite clearly need to get together on this.

I think everyone should know better. Every away game it’s a lot more than just them that gets involved in the singing, complete with add-ons, so it’s wrong to lay it all at their door. That said I’ve read this thread with interest and whilst I think the UB are a fantastic addition to the support, the Club have possibly used this as an opportunity to send a message, not only to UEFA, but the UB and wider support in general, given that’s where the singing starts from for the majority.

There seems to be a bit of a fractured relationship with the Club and UB just now and it crossed my mind that the Club might look at closing the section in the same way the Scum did with the GB twats. I’m not asking for that to happen btw before anyone loses it, just trying to reason why the UB have been singled out here, rather than spreading the seat closures amongst other areas of the ground on top of CD. If what I e said about the group and the club is true, their statement is idiotic in the extreme. They could’ve made the point but also taken a bit of responsibility. I've sung the songs myself so not getting High and shitey here, but it does seem to drive an even bigger wedge between them when we quite clearly need to get together on this.

I don't think the away support is is nearly as controlled an atmosphere at what the home support is. The way Ibrox atmosphere has gone, outwith old firm games and a few big games, the union bears lead the chorus, that's not the case with away games.

It would certainly have been the case for st Joseph's which is why this is an awful own goal by them.

I do get your point with the send a message thing, if we've been reported over and again by fare why is it this time it's actually come to something. It seems to coinside quite nicely with the everyone anyone campaign. I wonder if the Steve Clarke thing last season got on thier wick and they are trying to stamp it out.

FFS what bit of this are you not understanding?

For years we have been asked nicely to stop singing songs discriminating against catholics.

Now UEFA are saying ok no more asking nicely. Shut 3000 seats for next game. If it happens again we will close the entire stadium. If it happens again after that you will be expelled.

All they are asking us to do is stop singing songs about hating catholics. Simple as that.

Hard to see why that is difficult for you to understand. What has hating catholics got to do with supporting Rangers?

Which songs in particular state we hate catholics?

FTP'ing aside, which could be added to any song and doesn't suggest we hate catholics, but head of the catholic church. Not that I am going to attempt to defend anyone for being daft enough to shout that at a football match in 2019.

FTP'ing aside, which could be added to any song and doesn't suggest we hate catholics, but head of the catholic church. Not that I am going to attempt to defend anyone for being daft enough to shout that at a football match in 2019.
As far as UEFA are concerned 19th Century Terrorist = Catholic. Using it will result in similar punishment as using the N word. There's no ambiguity anymore.

Calling people ‘19th Century Terrorist bastards’? I’m well aware what the term actually means and I personally don’t think it’s sectarian but anyone that doesn’t know this is now a widely recognised sectarian term towards catholics must have been in a time warp.

Calling people ‘19th Century Terrorist bastards’? I’m well aware what the term actually means and I personally don’t think it’s sectarian but anyone that doesn’t know this is now a widely recognised sectarian term towards catholics must have been in a time warp.

I get that. The legality of it.

That said, it still doesn't say we hate catholics. It is only a widely recognised sectarian term because they have made it so.

19th Century Terrorist Army ring any bells?

Hun is also a widely recognised sectarian term. Can you imagine any of us proclaiming to be a proud member of the Hun Army?

As far as UEFA are concerned 19th Century Terrorist = Catholic. Using it will result in similar punishment as using the N word. There's no ambiguity anymore.

I am not disputing that. The poster I replied to said we need to stop singing songs that say we hate catholics. I asked him which particular songs state that we hate catholics, rather than someone's interpretation of what 19th Century Terrorist means?

I am not disputing that. The poster I replied to said we need to stop singing songs that say we hate catholics. I asked him which particular songs state that we hate catholics, rather than someone's interpretation of what 19th Century Terrorist means?
It will be 19th Century Terrorist with any negative connotations attached. They've made their mind up, we simply cant use it in Europe in any form.

That said, it still doesn't say we hate catholics. It is only a widely recognised sectarian term because they have made it so.

Hun is also a widely recognised sectarian term. Can you imagine any of us proclaiming to be a proud member of the Hun Army?

It matters not a jot. The rules on what’s offensive are made by the offended not the offenders. Try walking down the street in the US and calling a group of black guys the N word. I realise I’m stretching the argument here but I think it’s fair to say they would be offended at best, despite possibly referring to themselves in such a way. It’s a nonsense of course, but it’s a discussion that’s already been done to death.

As you say it’s widely accepted and is impossible for that to change. There is absolutely no way the club can challenge the ruling over the meaning of the word so it’s pretty a pretty pointless debate.

Last edited:

What exactly has the use of the term “19th Century Terrorist “ got to do with supporting Rangers? Why should it feature in any song sung at Ibrox?

What bit of Protestant culture is that demonstrating?

What exactly has the use of the term “19th Century Terrorist “ got to do with supporting Rangers? Why should it feature in any song sung at Ibrox?

What bit of Protestant culture is that demonstrating?

Can you answer my question please!

You stated we have to stop singing songs about hating Catholics.

Which songs specifically mention hating Catholics?

You are tedious. As others have adequately explained to you but you seem incapable of understanding.

Super Rangers has s line “ we hate Celtic 19th Century Terrorist bastards”. That is deemed as a line demonstrating hatred of catholics.

The Billy boys has a line “ up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood”. That is deemed as a line demonstrating hatred of catholics

It doesn’t matter if you me or anyone else cares to disagree with that view that is the view of UEFA. That is what counts in this case. We want to stay in European co petition then we cut this shite out.

I answered your question so answer mine.

Really unsure why you are splitting hairs over this mate, or what difference you think it makes that it’s the word ‘catholic’ or a word widely considered as derogatory/sectarian to describe a catholic.

There is a lot the club and fans can do to be pro-active here but this ship has most definitely sailed I’m afraid.

Firstly, neither of those examples state a categorical hatred of Catholics. That is an interpretation. One you have clearly subscribed to.

You are however correct in that the support have to acknowledge that UEFA have defined those examples as sectarian though and refrain from using them.

It still doesn't suggest we hate Catholics. Ffs, we have had dozens of Catholic players, a captain who was a RC, a manager that was a RC and our current manager, whilst not a practicing Catholic, I believe attended a Catholic school.

What does 19th Century Terrorist have to do with supporting Rangers? Absolutely nothing. I haven't once argued that it's a term that we should continue to use.

Hatred of 19th Century Terrorists however is not a hatred of Catholics.

Sorry Deedle, but that's just making excuses for folk now.

There is no way that people genuinely don't know what is and isn't acceptable.

The teens and early 20s you speak of don't know the 2006 UEFA ruling or the current law, but they know who Bobby Sands is enough to say fućk him? That then begs the question 'who, exactly, is teaching them this shite'?

We’re talking about grown men (I presume) but apparently they need to be spoon fed like weans.

The club have already made it clear what’s acceptable and what’s not. I suspect they know this too, they’re just kicking and screaming like the brats they are (well some of them, there was a UB on the thread yesterday who seemed very sensible but I think he’s obviously in the minority there).

Instead of whinging like brats they should be apologising and grovelling to the fans for whom they’ve cost a match ticket for Legia.

Last edited:
Really unsure why you are splitting hairs over this mate, or what difference you think it makes that it’s the word ‘catholic’ or a word widely considered as derogatory/sectarian to describe a catholic.

There is a lot the club and fans can do to be pro-active here but this ship has most definitely sailed I’m afraid.

I get that it appears to be splitting hairs mate. But it's not. We have one of our own stating that we are simply being asked to stop singing songs about hating Catholics.

I don't happen to buy the narrative that those songs display a categoric hatred of Catholics.

I do however appreciate that UEFA have decreed that it is racist/ sectarian. But that doesn't mean I have to agree and tar out support with the brush that we constantly sing about hating Catholics when I don't believe that to be the case.

I get that it appears to be splitting hairs mate. But it's not. We have one of our own stating that we are simply being asked to stop singing songs about hating Catholics.

I don't happen to buy the narrative that those songs display a categoric hatred of Catholics.

I do however appreciate that UEFA have decreed that it is racist/ sectarian. But that doesn't mean I have to agree and tar out support with the brush that we constantly sing about hating Catholics when I don't believe that to be the case.

That’s fair enough but I think you’ve answered your own point, in that it doesn’t really matter what you think. I made this exact point earlier in the thread regarding the word ‘19th Century Terrorist’ but came to accept many years ago that it shouldn’t be sung at games as it could land us in bother.

For the record I doubt a lot of the guys singing anti Catholic songs/chants, at games, actually ‘hate’ anyone and most likely have Celtic supporting pals and colleague who they get on absolutely fine with. Again though that’s not the point and after sanctioning us twice I don’t think UEFA’s stance could be any clearer.

Does anyone if we are found to have similar charges in the second or third round fixtures, do we face the stadium closure? Or does the second level of punishment only begin after the first is enacted?

The UBs need to realise that the club cannot fight this. UEFA have spoken, the club have implemented the actions as laid out by UEFA and the ENTIRE support needs to pay attention.

The UBs can mump and moan about the unfairness of it all but also need to step up and accept their portion of the blame. They should be in no doubt that the club will shut them down rather than risk further UEFA trouble.

The UBs, "the voice of Ibrox", also need to realise how important they can be in helping the support move forward in this issue.

They can accept that change must occur and drive it forward, writing themselves in to Ibrox folklore, or fight the change and disappear in to the dust, only remembered as a group that missed their opportunity.

As our manager once said "Let's go!"

I don’t think it can change overnight.

There’s no chance we just suddenly stop singing it. There will always be a group that wanna sing it

There’s no chance we just suddenly stop singing it. There will always be a group that wanna sing it

UEFA took action over the song and specifically the word '19th Century Terrorist' in early 2006.

However, TBB was effectively criminalised in 2003 under Scottish legislation.

16 years is hardly 'overnight'.

There is no doubt that the club was stitched up over TBB and that the obsession about songs has got much more to do with using Rangers as a convenient scapegoat than seriously combatting sectarianism.

In life, though, you have to deal with the way the world is and not how it should be.

If you're embroiled in a culture war you don't keep giving your enemies exactly what they want.

I once thought it would be relatively straightforward to turn things round. It should have been. Yet elements of our support have no self-discipline and shown no political awareness whatsoever.

The Tiffany dirge is literally this.

'We hate Catholics. Everybody hates roman catholics'

Then there's No Pope of Rome, which contains:
'no chapels to sadden my eyes. No nuns and no priests (and no/fućk your) rosary beads'

Not saying either of these has had a regular airing (thankfully NPOR seems almost gone) but it is an answer to your question.

I've never understood why FTP can be construed as sectarian? When you break the statement down, all your saying really is you don't like the person. There's no mentioned of his colour, creed or religion. So how is this wee arsehole fair game?

If I shouted f*ck Kanye West or f*ck Nir Biton in a football stadium, I severely doubt I'd be accused or charged with racism or anti semitism.

UEFA took action over the song and specifically the word '19th Century Terrorist' in early 2006.

However, TBB was effectively criminalised in 2003 under Scottish legislation.

16 years is hardly 'overnight'.

There is no doubt that the club was stitched up over TBB and that the obsession about songs has got much more to do with using Rangers as a convenient scapegoat than seriously combatting sectarianism.

In life, though, you have to deal with the way the world is and not how it should be.

If you're embroiled in a culture war you don't keep giving your enemies exactly what they want.

I once thought it would be relatively straightforward to turn things round. It should have been. Yet elements of our support have no self-discipline and shown no political awareness whatsoever.
Wht I mean though is it sung.

We won’t suddenly go and it’s not song

The Tiffany dirge is literally this.

'We hate Catholics. Everybody hates roman catholics'

Then there's No Pope of Rome, which contains:
'no chapels to sadden my eyes. No nuns and no priests (and no/fućk your) rosary beads'

Not saying either of these has had a regular airing (thankfully NPOR seems almost gone) but it is an answer to your question.

The Tiffany song is/ was a disgrace and fortunately it was a rarity that it was heard at any football grounds. Just an idiotic effort by the young team at appearing uber staunch.

No pope of Rome is clearly not a song suitable for being sung at any football match, but again I'd argue that it doesn't state a hatred for Catholics. But I do see the very clear inference.

I was just really making a point to the poster. I have sung most of the songs. Some of them, at the time I may not have fully understood. I can't remember singing anything that implicitly stated I hate Catholics, but rather I disagreed with the Catholic church. My understanding, whilst not religious in slightest is that the reformation began due to people being opposed to the teachings and practices of the RC church.

Far be it for me to try justify or defend some of the songs which need to be left in past. I was merely making a point as to the narrative that has been set regarding our songs being anti-catholic, or rather a stated hatred of Catholics.

Firstly, neither of those examples state a categorical hatred of Catholics. That is an interpretation. One you have clearly subscribed to.

You are however correct in that the support have to acknowledge that UEFA have defined those examples as sectarian though and refrain from using them.

It still doesn't suggest we hate Catholics. Ffs, we have had dozens of Catholic players, a captain who was a RC, a manager that was a RC and our current manager, whilst not a practicing Catholic, I believe attended a Catholic school.

What does 19th Century Terrorist have to do with supporting Rangers? Absolutely nothing. I haven't once argued that it's a term that we should continue to use.

Hatred of 19th Century Terrorists however is not a hatred of Catholics.
I do get where you coming from with this, as a support we tend to welcome players etc. from all backgrounds. It's other clubs who get worked up when a player blesses himself etc.

For that reason though it has always utterly baffled me why there are so many FTP add ons.

The Tiffany song is/ was a disgrace and fortunately it was a rarity that it was heard at any football grounds. Just an idiotic effort by the young team at appearing uber staunch.

No pope of Rome is clearly not a song suitable for being sung at any football match, but again I'd argue that it doesn't state a hatred for Catholics. But I do see the very clear inference.

I was just really making a point to the poster. I have sung most of the songs. Some of them, at the time I may not have fully understood. I can't remember singing anything that implicitly stated I hate Catholics, but rather I disagreed with the Catholic church. My understanding, whilst not religious in slightest is that the reformation began due to people being opposed to the teachings and practices of the RC church.

Far be it for me to try justify or defend some of the songs which need to be left in past. I was merely making a point as to the narrative that has been set regarding our songs being anti-catholic, or rather a stated hatred of Catholics.
I understand what you were getting at, but the Tiffany abomination alone means we don't have a leg to stand on in terms of arguing that our songs don't state hatred for Catholics.

While it may have been rarely aired, it still happened (more than once too). I disagree that it was the young team though. There's an awful lot of middle aged men who revel in that shite too, and the youngsters were clearly indoctrinated by someone.

I understand what you were getting at, but the Tiffany abomination alone means we don't have a leg to stand on in terms of arguing that our songs don't state hatred for Catholics.

While it may have been rarely aired, it still happened (more than once too). I disagree that it was the young team though. There's an awful lot of middle aged men who revel in that shite too, and the youngsters were clearly indoctrinated by someone.
I seen a suggestion on hear from someone to sing 'we love Katic' to this tune; and actually thought it was really good.

Sadly though we have ruined so many songs with the add ons that I don't think it could ever be possible. That one in particular we would probably end up with some weird combination of hating Katic and loving Roman Catholics

If it doesn't our next European game will be played behind closed doors.

Insanity that some would continue knowing the consequences.

So using your example, if the tramps brought out their 19th Century Terrorist army banner for their Euro games are you then suggesting they'd be charged under the same Article we have been?
Just clarifying what you mean.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t give a %^*& who we offend. It is not a crime to offend someone (yet). We can tone it down for Europe but we should not be bending over trying to appease UEFA with our songs for domestic games. It is %^*& all to do with them.

I honestly don’t give a %^*& who we offend. It is not a crime to offend someone (yet). We can tone it down for Europe but we should not be bending over trying to appease UEFA with our songs for domestic games. It is %^*& all to do with them.
Problem is if we sing them domestically it will carry over into Europe. Not everyone reads the papers, watches the news or reads social media and you'll get those who just don't really care.

We need to cut them out full stop. Sing about our Team,history, our players and our manager only

It is in UEFA competitions, it's their rules and they get to decide what's offensive and they get to hand down the punishment.

Also, on your other point, Rangers have said if you want to continue singing these songs then you aren't welcome. So don't say you haven't been warned.

Back