Until we get Aribo back our best midfield is probably Kamara and Sands sitting with Lundstram in front of them

Lundstram being a box to box midfielder who can finish has always been an absolute myth.

He doesn’t have any of the qualities Arfield has

Who created that myth, I’ll be honest I’ve never heard of him described as a finisher, a box to box midfielder yes. 2 completely different things, I agree they are completely different players.

Interesting thing is Arfield only scored 5 goals in the EPL, over 95 appearances. Lundstram also only scored 5 goals in the EPL, over 68 appearances.

Title says it all.

I’ve been watching clips of Lundstram from his Sheffield Utd and Oxford United days and quite clearly his best attribute is breaking the lines and running into the box for cut backs and loose balls. He also showed against Hearts that he can have a dig from range.

I’d like Bacuna to get a chance in the role but he’s so out the picture it’s unlikely.

I’d be setting up against Livingston with a midfield of:

Kamara Sands
Lundstram

And encourage Lundstram to get forward and to pick up pockets of space in the opponent’s half.

If Jack is back and ready to go, even better, I’d have him alongside Kamara.

I think we have to play Lundstram, he’s too high an earner not to utilise and with protection from two sitting midfielders I think he can be effective because he carries the ball well and was an attacking force at Sheffield Utd. If we want to offload him now or in the summer the only way we’ll attract suitors who might part with a fee is if he plays football.

O.M.G and Dearie me.

Who created that myth, I’ll be honest I’ve never heard of him described as a finisher, a box to box midfielder yes. 2 completely different things, I agree they are completely different players.

Interesting thing is Arfield only scored 5 goals in the EPL, over 95 appearances. Lundstram also only scored 5 goals in the EPL, over 68 appearances.

We signed Lundstram and started playing him as a holding midfielder when he was at his best in the EPL for Sheff Utd playing box to box. I feel a bit sorry for him, he has been hung out to dry in his time here.

His wage is an issue but it's not his problem is it?

I have always felt strongly that only ONE sitting midfielder is needed
Yes, even at Pittodrie.
Let them worry about us! NOt sit back and give time to make them look good (well ok maybe ’good’ is going tooo far).
Anyway, let Kamala worry about covering and defending as he is superb and let the attack flourish…..that is our strength. So frustrating to see negative tactics (which i thought had gone with Gio coming in)

We signed Lundstram and started playing him as a holding midfielder when he was at his best in the EPL for Sheff Utd playing box to box. I feel a bit sorry for him, he has been hung out to dry in his time here.

His wage is an issue but it's not his problem is it?
This is the point I’m making, we’ve never played to his strengths. I think if we gave him a free role and encourage him to play off the striker in a similar way to Arfield behind Defoe a couple seasons back we will benefit from him in the absence of Aribo.

In all honesty i’ve given up with Lundstram. I hoped he would do well but he looked hopeless against Aberdeen. I’m not sure of McCann or Lowry’s positions but I wouldn’t be against giving them some game time this season if they can play there. I understand folk are saying they aren’t ready yet but you never know. Hopefully we see a few of these lads tomorrow night.
Great shout.
McCann and Lowry should both feature against Stirling tomorrow.

He wasn’t the worst

Wasn’t fine either

Was a very anonymous game from him IMO
Agree, he eased himself into the team and Scottish football.
This would have been okay in a game we were dominating and quite honestly a player who has the sense to do this is often a sign of intelligent game management.
However, Aberdeen at Pittodrie with an understrength team and Clancy as the referee wasn't perhaps the ideal game to introduce a new fairly young player from another football culture.

He wasn’t the worst

Wasn’t fine either

Was a very anonymous game from him IMO

He was just meh. Didn't do much wrong but didn't show anything either that actually made you take notice and think he's a player. The fact he finished the game playing in front of Kamara and Lundstram was baffling to say the least, he doesn't look like he will create or score many goals at all.

Sands in our strongest midfield? We've jumped the shark on here.
Have to agree with you on that one. I thought he was non-existent against Aberdeen. I would have preferred it the other way around started Lundstram and bring Sands on to ease him into the team and Scottish football a little.

Title says it all.

I’ve been watching clips of Lundstram from his Sheffield Utd and Oxford United days and quite clearly his best attribute is breaking the lines and running into the box for cut backs and loose balls. He also showed against Hearts that he can have a dig from range.

I’d like Bacuna to get a chance in the role but he’s so out the picture it’s unlikely.

Kamara Sands
Lundstram

And encourage Lundstram to get forward and to pick up pockets of space in the opponent’s half.

I think we have to play Lundstram, he’s too high an earner not to utilise and with protection from two sitting midfielders I think he can be effective because he carries the ball well and was an attacking force at Sheffield Utd. If we want to offload him now or in the summer the only way we’ll attract suitors who might part with a fee is if he plays football.

No offence mate.
I respect your opinion, but for me, it’s ‘bat shit’ crazy to have Lundstram anywhere near our first 11.

I don’t care what he did with his other clubs.
It’s what he has done or failed to do, since he got here, to me, the only think that matters.

I don’t think that works without Aribo in the team. Aribo is one of our best ball winners and carries the ball in a way that no one else can in our team. If he’s not playing Kamara will just be exposed and besides we need Kamara to cover more ground in the absence of Arfield, Davis and Jack.
This. I hate the 2 sitting midfielders but without Aribo ...

Is there a B team player that could potentially take the position the OP is suggesting for Lundstram? Against Stirling Albion I’d like to think so. Arfield returning for then the next league game.

Title says it all.

Kamara Sands
Lundstram

All I'll say to that is we are badly in need of new players.

The attacking side of our midfield was badly overlooked under SG. We have way more than enough holding/ defensive midfielder than is really required but that forward playing number 8 we so badly craved never arrived.

I actually thought Lundstram did ok the other night. Certainly better than Sands.

That's no reflection on the boy long term as it's a horror game to be thrown onto but let's not sugar coat it. It was largely an annonymous performance from him.

Lundstram just isn't the player we hoped he'd be or need him to be. Time to end that experiment. I'll give Sands a little longer.

Our midfield (and whole team) look better when we play at a higher intensity. We didn't do that against Aberdeen.
Some players excel in teams that are backs to the wall. Some players excel when there is no pressure on them.

I think the Lundstram experiment has went on long enough, and we either need to give the same opportunities to younger players or get in real reinforcements.

For me he’s at the stage of making me sigh and say “oh ffs, not Lundstram” when I see him either starting or getting subbed on.

I actually thought Lundstram did ok the other night. Certainly better than Sands.

That's no reflection on the boy long term as it's a horror game to be thrown onto but let's not sugar coat it. It was largely an annonymous performance from him.
Well this is bollocks.

Main focus on midfield should be to control and dictate the pace of the game, The biggest problem midweek was we had kamara + sands against 4 in the middle for them

Some players excel in teams that are backs to the wall. Some players excel when there is no pressure on them.

I think the Lundstram experiment has went on long enough, and we either need to give the same opportunities to younger players or get in real reinforcements.

For me he’s at the stage of making me sigh and say “oh ffs, not Lundstram” when I see him either starting or getting subbed on.

He played at Sheffield as a box to box midfielder usually interchanging with the wing backs. Going out wide a lot, In front of a back 5, if the wingbacks bombed forward he did too, he didn’t have to cover for a marauding full back.

This was our midfield three for his first 7 starts

Arfield Davis Lundstram
Lundstram Davis Kamara
Hagi Lundstram Kamara
Hagi Davis Lundstram
Lundstram Davis Kamara
Kamara Lundstram Aribo
Hagi Lundstram Kamara

Do you see any pattern or consistency ? no neither can I

He is been made the scapegoat for pathetic team performances this season under Gerrard. Gerrard rarely played the same team two games running, never three times. we played equally as bad with Lundstram out the team as in it.

I don’t think Lundstram was particularly awful the other night, but the sub itself was wrong.

Let's get one thing straight, Lundstram clearly doesn't give a shit about being at rangers..his application and effort is shocking. As soon as I seen him coming on for Wright I honestly thought we'd end up getting beat. He doesn't care and so we should be the same,wouldn't get anywhere near the team if I was in charge. And serious questions need asked about why and how he was even signed!

It really isn’t, Gerrard learned after his first season tgat he couldn’t play any more than the 2 holding midfielders from Jack, Kamara and Davis otherwise we were toothless in attack and too pedestrian. He needed 2 holding midfielders to protect the centre halfs because our full backs were bombing forward. Gio wants the fullbacks to be more defensive so we now only need 1 holding midfielder. This means we need 5 attacking players in the midfield and forward line with Kamara holding. First choice for me is Kent, morellos, roofe aribo and Arfield. Sakala, Wright and hagi the replacements. There is no settled midfield and I would mix about depending on who we are playing. Perhaps 2 holding midfielders for the piggery and doetmund with it being Kamara and either Jack, Davis or Lundstrom but nothing else pleases, get on the front foot and attack

Nobody can tell me Stephen Kelly is worse than this lot, he looked the hungriest player in preseason friendlies. He would have been a better option than sands or lundstrom at the sheep pen.

Two very different sets of coaching staff beg to differ but 347golfer knows football better than them...

This place has been mental for the past 48 hours.

Let's get one thing straight, Lundstram clearly doesn't give a shit about being at rangers..his application and effort is shocking. As soon as I seen him coming on for Wright I honestly thought we'd end up getting beat. He doesn't care and so we should be the same,wouldn't get anywhere near the team if I was in charge. And serious questions need asked about why and how he was even signed!
Also feared the worst. If he does give a shit it’s not on the level required.

Well this is bollocks.

Which part of it? I'm a bit confused as it's hardly some out there take on things.

Either you think Lundstram played poorly the other night as opposed to the "ok" which is hardly massive praise or you think Sands was a big player in the game which he absolutely was not.

Title says it all.

Kamara Sands
Lundstram

Sands ? Put the drink doon

Which part of it? I'm a bit confused as it's hardly some out there take on things.

Either you think Lundstram played poorly the other night as opposed to the "ok" which is hardly massive praise or you think Sands was a big player in the game which he absolutely was not.
I think sands was ok not great but deserves some time i think Lundstram is a poor players thats had plenty of chances and isnt anywhere near good enough to play for the club.

Ofcourse he will continue to be excused as he has played in EPL.

I do agree that its a bad performance by the whole team and the manager right enough, tough fixture with a bent ref too and that picking out one or two is unfair Hagi had a worse game than JL and isnt good enough either.

I think sands was ok not great but deserves some time i think Lundstram is a poor players thats had plenty of chances and isnt anywhere near good enough to play for the club.

Ofcourse he will continue to be excused as he has played in EPL.

I do agree that its a bad performance by the whole team and the manager right enough, tough fixture with a bent ref too and that picking out one or two is unfair Hagi had a worse game than JL and isnt good enough either.

I said in the post that you called bollocks that Tuesdays game is no reflection on Sands long term. But he was annonymous.

I'm not a fan of Lundstram. Wasn't before he signed. But he did "ok" the other night.

Ok isn't good enough for us but he was certainly less annonymous than Sands.

He hasn't worked as an 8 or a 6 so we might as well try him as a 10 if Arfield isn't fit.

I'm not sure Hagi has it in him to be our focal point.

Lundstram laughing after he kicked the ball out from our throw in summed him up the other night. Wouldn't be even on the bench just now.

So you are saying Lundstrum is better ?

At the moment he is, yeah. I don't think there's much of an argument to be had. Kelly had a decent pre season. An okay season at County last season. A few good seasons at Ayr prior to that. Nothing to suggest he's better than Lundstram.

I would avoid playing Hagi in midfield from now on. It’s like playing with a man down. I’d keep him in the front three when he is played.
The guy who scored for us on Tuesday? One of the few goalscoring midfielders we have when we are struggling for goals in that area?

Play him left or right wing when he does play?

Mate that is flat out madness!

Forget Lundstram, he is a disaster of a signing who will contribute next to nothing until the summer

Highest earner at the club who needs binned

I’m sure many will be along to sing his praises, based on nothing, very shortly…

I would avoid playing Hagi in midfield from now on. It’s like playing with a man down. I’d keep him in the front three when he is played.
Was only that because of how early on he got booked, one mistimed tackle and he could of been off with that clown officiating so I’ll cut him slack there

giphy.gif

Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy - No! No! No!

Lundstrum is no where near as bad as made out on here. He's had a few decent games, and Im not good biggest fan.

To be honest I'm not sure where his best position is, probably box to box.

Sands also looked ok on Tuesday all things considered, thought he actually did ok.

The problem was the out ball and the link up.. resorted to long balls and made it easy

Back