Updated Rangers Statement - SPFL’s legal adviser deems Rangers' Members Resolution as incompetent, other clubs being bullied

Scottish football has been thrown into further crisis after clubs dramatically FAILED to agree on a way forward amid the coronavirus shutdown.

The SPFL had proposed ending the season immediately in the Championship, League One and League Two.

Premiership clubs were also asked to transfer the power to call the season at a later date if football cannot restart.

That would likely have to be ratified by UEFA too, with the European governing body warning that it expects top flight leagues to be played to completion.

Clubs had until 5pm on Friday to either pass or reject the motion to end the season early, but on a day of high drama no agreement was reached.

The SPFL gave clubs two days to respond as an urgent request, but the rules state that they have 28 days to respond to any such request.

As a result three clubs simply refused to comply with the request, meaning that the proposals could not be passed.

That essentially forces another four weeks before any decision is made - but there are fears some already struggling clubs could go out of business by then.

One reason for ending the season early was to pay out prize money to clubs already hit hard by the shutdown.

But that now cannot happen after no decision was taken, and it's not clear what the way forward will be.

So did Hearts just see what way the wind was blowing and decide they were abstaining?
They may have decided by abstaining lets them dictate the next move - I.e. to restructure the league.

So......they gave a 5pm deadline.......it was passed regardless in the SPL and leagues 1 & 2, but in the championship 1 club has not voted by the deadline?
Surely they cannot then accept this vote, when/if it does come?
However I have no doubt they will be desperate to try and persuade this club, whoever they are, in to line with their way of thinking.

Can someone tell me what is actually happening?

Clubs were given a deadline of 5pm to vote on the SPFL resolution.

Everyone except 3 teams voted:

1 in the Premiership (irrelevant as it has the required 75%)
1 in the Championship (if No torpedos the whole proposal)
1 in Leagues 1/2 (irrelevant as above)

Was reported earlier by Sky Sports (Charles Paterson) it had failed the Championship vote but may have jumped the gun.

So they aren't accepting abstentions as no votes, even though the deadline has passed. And are still encouraging votes after the deadline. Is that correct?

Call me cynical, but this stinks of deliberate obfuscation and misinformation with contradictory reports coming from lots of different sources. This miraculously allowing them extra time to put pressure on ICT (if they're the holdouts) and then hide behind it all claiming miscommunication or some technical issue with ICT always planning to support the resolution.

So Aberdeen voted in favour after saying they wouldn't?
Hearts didn't vote even though it relegated them?

Not voting now isn't allowed and you need to think long and hard to oppose it?

My head is spinning.

Talk on Twitter that clubs legally have 28 days to vote so the 5pm 'deadline' was pointless?

n.b. the talk is just between random accounts, nothing itk.

U can’t have a 5pm deadline and then accept votes after the deadline has passed. Saying that it wouldn’t be the first time those in charge of Scottish football made up the rules to suit their agenda!

My head is spinning.
I think Hearts may have been advised legally not to vote, just a guess, but the only thing I can think of.

Now they will start to build the pressure - it won’t be long until the clubs who have not “voted” are named. Then the championship club is in a no win situation...unless someone can sweeten their pot.

If this passes what does this mean for the top flight? Do Hearts get relegated and the Mhanks given a tainted title? Does this only happen if they are unable to complete the season?

Just confused by it all.

My head is spinning.
Aberdeen are a disgrace. But we already knew that. Budge has shat the bed or she’s been promised something in order to abstain.

ICT? Will they do the honourable thing? I very much doubt it. Everyone has their price.

Scottish football will never be the same again after this.

If this passes what does this mean for the top flight? Do Hearts get relegated and the Mhanks given a tainted title? Does this only happen if they are unable to complete the season?

Just confused by it all.
Sounds like a 14 team Premier League to me. Would explain Hertz abstaining and ICT eventually voting in favour.

Back