VAR has ruined the EPL

Bumplittledipper

I know there have been numerous threads about this, but VAR has taken alll of the thrill out of the game.

Villa v Spurs had 2 VAR decisions in 2 minutes. A penalty that nobody was looking for was the result of the second decision.

Apart from anything else, more time is spent hanging about waiting. A player scores and then has to wait to see if its a goal.

In theory this is a good idea, in practice its a nightmare. Get it binned.

But it was a penalty Villa defender didn't get any of the ball so in this case VAR was correct

The spontaneity and flow of the game is ultimately damaged by this VAR nonsense. Having to wait before given the go ahead to celebrate a goal is a rare occasion in football, but every week ?

After van dyke getting held back by what can only be described as american football tactics at norwich yesterday and ignoring it, I fail to see the point of it. If they want to use var, they should use it for this, not a heel offside by a centimetre.

Is it really though?
Or are you just taking the decisions that suit you and coming up with a random conclusion?
Its Villa v Spurs, I couldnt give a fck, no decision suits me. I just want to watch a game of football without USA style drama being inserted into it every 5 minutes.

The game survived without it for 150 years. One ref, 2 linesmen.

After van dyke getting held back by what can only be described as american football tactics at norwich yesterday and ignoring it, I fail to see the point of it. If they want to use var, they should use it for this, not a heel offside by a centimetre.
There was one VAR review that I found bizarre.
They were reviewing the footage to see if there was a foul in the box or not. But as part of the review it was clearly obvious that one of the attacking players was offside. But since this was not part of the review, this was ignored and it still potentially could have been a penalty despite the fact that the striker was offside in the build up.
That can't be right, surely?

You must hate football, if your sticking up for this crowd killer.
Load of crap, would you be happy for VAR to be implemented in this country to stop the blatant refereeing favouritism ?

At the end of the day we all want the correct decisions being made by the referees. Does VAR need some tweaks? 100%. But the outcomes of 99% of decisions are correct.

Its Villa v Spurs, I couldnt give a fck, no decision suits me. I just want to watch a game of football without USA style drama being inserted into it every 5 minutes.

I totally agree with this, but the guy was suggesting that VAR is biased against certain EPL teams, whereas I don't think the data would support that.

There was one VAR review that I found bizarre.
They were reviewing the footage to see if there was a foul in the box or not. But as part of the review it was clearly obvious that one of the attacking players was offside. But since this was not part of the review, this was ignored and it still potentially could have been a penalty despite the fact that the striker was offside in the build up.
That can't be right, surely?
RB Leipzig v Bayern Munich last week had a penalty decision reversed as there had been an offside in the build up.

Stonewall penalty too.

Load of crap, would you be happy for VAR to be implemented in this country to stop the blatant refereeing favouritism ?

At the end of the day we all want the correct decisions being made by the referees. Does VAR need some tweaks? 100%. But the outcomes of 99% of decisions are correct.
Would var have made us come out playing better after the new year. I'm not against changes, like the pass back rule, which keeps the game moving or goal line technology, but this is a crowd killer for the game. As the new song in the epl this season goes, it's not football anymore.

The PL has been saturated with USA style drama for years, it happened way before VAR and nearly the entire coverage is focussed on drama and conjecture over actual football. Clough must be turning in his grave.

If you want the correct decisions to be made then VAR is the way to go and I am flabbergasted that some of our fans don’t want it up here given the sheer amount of horrendous decisions we’ve been subjected to this season and many others.

Problem here is when a referee and panel of experts don’t think Thumb stamped on the Hamilton player, you get an idea of how VAR would be implemented in this backwater.

Would var have made us come out playing better after the new year. I'm not against changes, like the pass back rule, which keeps the game moving or goal line technology, but this is a crowd killer for the game. As the new song in the epl this season goes, it's not football anymore.
It wouldn’t have made us play better but certain key decisions going your way has a massive influence on games.

They should do what they do in tennis - give x amount of challenges per game to each player (or, in the case of football, to each manager).

Allow the game to proceed as normal with the referee making the decisions. Let's say each manager has 2 challenges per game.

If a decision goes against you - you concede a goal, you score a goal but it's ruled out, penalty conceded, stonewall penalty not given - then you can challenge this, which means the referee is obliged to review it via VAR.

If the referee stands by his original decision, then you lose a challenge and have one challenge remaining.

If the referee agrees with the challenging manager, then the original decision is overturned and the manager still has 2 challenges remaining.

The VAR should simply be a pitchside monitor which is viewed by the referee. No one in a portakabin talking nonsense in his ear. The referee reviews it and the referee decides, no one else.

Current implementation has issues but it's not "ruining the EPL". It will improve and it's here to stay.

It's not about playing better though is it?

Football has always been a game of fine margins.
The filth by all accounts were poor today but won, we were poor on wednesday, and bad decisions cost us the points.
We were poor in the second half at Aberdeen but again, a bad decision cost us.

If you must use playing better though, I'll give you the cup final. I'm sure you don't need reminding how much better than the savilles we were that day but again a bad decision costs us, and they win a cup as a result.

This 100%, sick and tired of “honest mistakes” going against us. At the end of the day we surely all want the correct decisions to be made

believe it or not, the overall purpose of football is not to please the crowd

They should do what they do in tennis - give x amount of challenges per game to each player (or, in the case of football, to each manager).

Allow the game to proceed as normal with the referee making the decisions. Let's say each manager has 2 challenges per game.

If a decision goes against you - you concede a goal, you score a goal but it's ruled out, penalty conceded, stonewall penalty not given - then you can challenge this, which means the referee is obliged to review it via VAR.

If the referee stands by his original decision, then you lose a challenge and have one challenge remaining.

If the referee agrees with the challenging manager, then the original decision is overturned and the manager still has 2 challenges remaining.

The VAR should simply be a pitchside monitor which is viewed by the referee. No one in a portakabin talking nonsense in his ear. The referee reviews it and the referee decides, no one else.

I would add to your idea in that any manager challenging also has to state what he believes the infringement to be, otherwise every time the opponents score/get a penalty, especially late on, if the manager has a challenge remaining he’ll just use it blindly and hopefully something is spotted in the review. He should have to state WHY he’s challenging

One positive development from VAR is it exposes how ridiculous offside is. A pointless rule but so ingrained that no one dares question it.

I'm in favour of it provided it's used as advertised i.e. to correct clear and obvious errors. Unfortunately, the EPL implementation scrutinises every incident like the JFK assassination, and decisions take far too long as a result.

It's being introduced to the Danish league next season, but they've stipulated that a decision must be made within 25s or the error is not clear and obvious. It'll be interesting to see how that works out for them.

If we had VAR we wouldn't have lost the cup final. If we had VAR we wouldn't have lost to Kilmarnock. If we had VAR it would at least be a fair fight. We only want to be judged by the same rules as everyone else.

I think it's a good thing, if implemented properly. It really does kill off the entertainment factor when scoring for fans, as you're constantly thinking. Today when we had two goals chopped off, the first thing to do was to check for the offside flag, imagine that but having to wait two minutes + for a decision?

There's definitely a need for it within the game, just not in the current form - speed and interpretation of laws.

What part of that is bollocks?

With VAR we win the cup final. With VAR Killie's first goal is disallowed for hand ball and Morelos' goal likely stands. With VAR we get a penalty in the 2-2 game up at Pittodrie.
How do you know we'd have got the decisions? After watching as blatant a penalty as you'll ever see in the liverpool game last night, that's no guarantee.

That night at pittodrie was of our own making, Should have been well out of sight, not looking for a penalty. trying to use var to explain our rank displays doesn't cover up the fact the teams went south very quickly.

I've no doubts theres fans of other teams giving it the same stuff about decisions they'd get with VAR. Simple fact,its a crowd killer and that's where it fails for me. When you have players being apprehensive after scoring that's not good for punters.

Maybe if tv cameras hadn't decided to put in cameras all over the place looking for a fault with everything,we wouldn't need to be here, but these days all the talk is about decisions and VAR hasn't helped in any way. I remember the days when people used to talk about nice football being played and some great skill on display. Seems a long time ago

I can only comment on the penalty but my first reaction on seeing it happen (albeit via live tv) was, "That's a penalty". It was a stonewaller. If VAR means that cheats like Clancy and Beaton will have to referee our games fairly then it cannot come quickly enough.

Back