War Zone without Guns

Bear all

Evening Times pish again yet again quoting witnesses and their accounts without any evidence some of the reports are really getting beyond a joke.

DISMAYED residents in the city centre have hit out at Rangers fans who “dominated” the area at the weekend, describing scenes that unfolded as “a warzone without the guns”.

Locals have revealed that they were either “too intimidated” to enter the streets on Saturday or forced to take diversions around title celebrations on their way to and from work.

A number of residents that did pluck up the courage to leave their homes have claimed they were subjected to a string of sickening sectarian and racist attacks.

Dr Duncan MacLaren, chairman of the Merchant City and Trongate Community Council, has spoken on behalf of the locals he represents.
He said: “Around 4000 people live in the city centre and most of them were too intimidated to venture forth on Saturday night because of the so-called celebrations of so-called Rangers fans.

“It was like being in a war zone without the guns. People were attacked for having green on their uniforms, for being brown or for wearing a headscarf or for being the police who were trying to keep the peace. Some of the ‘fans’ spat at people and were heard to say, ‘we’ll give you Covid’.

“There were flares everywhere from the afternoon which endangered all of us and could have caused serious fires. Anti-Catholic songs were sung as if they were pop songs – the hatred hung in the air.”

It is the second time that people living in the area have had to endure gatherings after Rangers fans congregated at George Square in March to celebrate Scottish Premiership victory.

Liam McNally, who lives on Ingram Street, said: “The violence was worse this time around, I think.

“A sectarian song was chanted at my friend and I – it wasn’t nice.

“There are fans out there that wanted to celebrate responsibly so it is just a shame that the violence clearly overpowered any means of a peaceful gathering. I know that Public Order officers were called in but for a while it felt like they were dominating the area.
“It’s not fair for residents in the area, especially families with kids. Nobody wants to be locked up in their flats all weekend.”

Sarah English, who lives in Blythswood, added: “How many times will we let the city become an unsafe place for its residents?

“As any community, all we want is to be able to walk home and feel safe and yet from the start of Saturday the city was made a war zone.

“We should not be forced to take diversions, walk through broken glass and dodge people mindlessly punching others dressed in the same colours. Inebriated ‘fans’ shouted abuse at my friend for no reason – how is any city centre resident meant to feel safe?”

Initially, Police Scotland said that the celebrations had been peaceful but riot cops were soon drafted to the scene after violent incidents started to break out.

Alexander Stephenson, who lives on George Street, said: “The scenes I saw outside my window were disgusting. I know Rangers fans – I know they were disgusted by this too, and at the police.

“The police approach was ridiculous. I understand and agree they cannot and should not simply charge a mass of fans to clear them out and that diplomacy was off the menu.

“But their strategy to take away alcohol and fireworks failed. I saw it with my own eyes.”

Almost 30 arrests were made throughout the day for a wide range of offences while officers have warned that more are on the way.

A dedicated task force has since been set up by Police Scotland to investigate the
“violence and disorder” that took place at George Square.
On Monday, Rangers Football Club condemned the “small minority” of fans who “besmirched the good name” during celebrations.

Ruth Suter

"People were attacked for having green on their uniforms, for being brown or for wearing a headscarf or for being the police who were trying to keep the peace. Some of the ‘fans’ spat at people and were heard to say, ‘we’ll give you Covid’."

I mean, FFS, does anyone actually believe this tripe for a minute?

"People were attacked for having green on their uniforms, for being brown or for wearing a headscarf or for being the police who were trying to keep the peace. Some of the ‘fans’ spat at people and were heard to say, ‘we’ll give you Covid’."

The problem is that people who want to believe it will do so.

I'm sorry but would any sane person not take measures to avoid any large gathering of people regardless of the nature of the gathering.

Could be the most peaceful well intentioned protest in the world but if there's a significant number of people you're still going divert your course away to avoid going through a crowd.

We should destroy this guy in court, no way could he produce any evidence of this.

Until we start going after people like this nothing will change.

“It was like being in a war zone without the guns. People were attacked for having green on their uniforms, for being brown or for wearing a headscarf or for being the police who were trying to keep the peace. Some of the ‘fans’ spat at people and were heard to say, ‘we’ll give you Covid’.

Isn't there some sort of code of conduct for newspapers where they need to even attempt to verify reports? That would be laughable if it wasn't part of this week's pile on.

The idiots boxing with each other and the police should be punished but the big bad Rangers pish is getting out of hand.

They'll be comparing it with the Rape of Nanking next. Seriously though this kind of coverage is sinister as %^*&. It's nothing less than state approved demonisation of a group of people they consider to be an enemy and an ",other". It even looks like propaganda in the way it's written. Scotland is in a bad way.

I know we've always had negative publicity for any little thing but I feel this is really getting out of hand and they are going way beyond the line here, the SNP and republican sorts are completely emboldened now and I do feel that it is entering a dangerous place and any so called neutrals will lose objectivity and back any crazy treatment we receive going forward. Hopefully I'm overreacting but you can't tell me this level of national coverage is good for us, and I'm not sure how many battles the club can fight as this is a bigger issue.

There were flares everywhere from the afternoon which endangered all of us and could have caused serious fires. Anti-Catholic songs were sung as if they were pop songs – the hatred hung in the air.”

Where do you start with this bullshit? I'm starting to think Dr Duncan is a bit of a lying bigot

30 arrests from 15000 people. Doesn’t sound like a warzone to me. loud crowds and a lot of litter yes. A war zone I don’t think so. If they wanted to live in a quiet village why do they live in the City centre.

it’s Celtic fans telling lies again, exaggerating beyond belief because they hate Rangers fans. It’s as simple as that.

Thought this was about a new game mode on Call of Duty Warzone :))

Seriously though, what a load of shite.

White noise to me now tbh.
I agree and now simply don’t give two fecks.
Is the good doctor speaking on behalf of the residents?
Has he chaired a meeting to ascertain the level of feeling?
Or is he just assuming that the vociferous minority doing the moaning are actually the majority?
Would it change anything if those complaining were more of a Celtic persuasion than a Rangers or, more likely to be Nationalist than Unionist?
What about Liam?
Why did the Rangers fans berate him?
How did they know what side of the divide they were?
I’m, maybe as Liam would put it, baffult by Liam’s claims.
So much so, I’m calling “nonsense, lies, fabrication and mendacity.”

Dr Duncan MacLaren , chairman of the Merchant City and Trongate Community Council, has spoken on behalf of the locals he represents.
He said: “Around 4000 people live in the city centre and most of them were too intimidated to venture forth on Saturday night because of the so-called celebrations of so-called Rangers fans.

Someone needs to look into Duncan pity wasn't whoever interviewed him! Talk about use of words and exaggeration and for effect? Surprised he didn't make these comments the last time? Hmm?

On the other hand, this was all expected. The narrative was set years ago. One positive is that they know we are not to be pushed around and that we represent the majority if it comes down to it. That’s what still scares them. The day they ignore us is the day we start to be worried. Until then, you and all of us on FF and our wider support will continue to take over the City when we feel like it and nobody will stop us!

30 arrests from 15000 people. Doesn’t sound like a warzone to me. loud crowds and a lot of litter yes. A war zone I don’t think so. If they wanted to live in a quiet village why do they live in the City centre.

it’s Celtic fans telling lies again, exaggerating beyond belief because they hate Rangers fans. It’s as simple as that.

Just wait until people are drunk and 15,000 watching Euro games in Glasgow.

The headline will be "only 30 people arrested".

By the weekend there's going to be stories of nukes being set off.
Or chemical warfare at least, pathetic reporting and compared to a first minister and her team inciting hundreds if not a thousand to get to the Covid hotspot to stop a legal uplift of two overstayers is a shocker, the fact they even praised the hoards for breaking her own rules tells you all you need to know.

It may have been the two were taken into custody and they appealed it and got out the following morning but we will never know as they have been used as a political football.

I wonder who tipped the protesters off as they were well prepared with flags and banners about the two guys who probably are nice guys and do take part in community stuff just illegally.

We should destroy this guy in court, no way could he produce any evidence of this.

Until we start going after people like this nothing will change.
There is no evidence,if there was don't you think it would've been every news outlet by now!! Also i guarantee these so called complainants don't exist.

Dr Duncan MacLaren , chairman of the Merchant City and Trongate Community Council, has spoken on behalf of the locals he represents.

Someone needs to look into Duncan pity wasn't whoever interviewed him! Talk about use of words and exaggeration and for effect? Surprised he didn't make these comments the last time? Hmm?
That's the first I've heard of these racist and anti-Islamic attacks. Why have the police and msm failed to mention this? Are they bigots too?

Back