Warburton on verge of quitting QPR

Aribo, Davis and Roofe were brought in after successful European campaigns.

Warburton brought in a tonne of duds, Crooks, Dodoo, Hodson, Forrester, Keirnan, Anwick etc. His eye for a player was suspect and done nothing to suggest he should be trusted with cash.
Anwick is a more than decent keeper.

Whilst I’d rather not recall it, I can remember one thrashing we received which would have been bordering on double figures but for him

Instead of the constant snide remarks from some on here about him we should remember what went before him.

The football under Ally was the worst I had ever seen.

A 5-1 battering at Parkhead, two pitiful defeats to them, again, in the cup-semi final and league in the months after, an embarrassing Scottish Cup Final defeat to Hibs and two utter humiliations at Tynecastle.

That’s the worst of the bunch but let’s not forget how turgid some of the football under Warburton was after the December of his first season.

Gave us our pride back for six months and then offered up boring, monotonous and mind numbing performances thereafter whilst also offering himself out to any English club that would listen.

That’s before we even get in to some of his questionable transfer activity in the summer of 2016.

He’s best forgotten.

Can’t agree.

A big club and and big job are different things.

A big club is where there are expectations to win. Not just a trophy, but every game.

Warburton wilted under the pressure at our club for that exact reason. This showed when he openly admitted to shiting it when he saw the “going for 55” tifo in the opening day of the season.
Did he shit it or did he realistically know we weren't winning it that season has the # suggested?

Good luck to him.
I wasn't his biggest fan but he
helped us a bit going forward.

Although he did bring some hope back,
I, and possibly every Gers fan, had hoped
he would be better for us, but alas...

Disappointed in how it all ended with Warburton.However he told lies and destroyed any good thoughts I may have had about his performance as Rangers Manager. No man is bigger than Rangers Football Club.

In the year 2021 realistically there are a number of clubs in various leagues dotted around Europe (and indeed wider) that we could look at and acknowledge as being bigger than us as things stand. Clubs where you know that players, coaches, managers might be understandably tempted to move to. Clubs. Bigger. Than. Rangers.

Nottingham Fucking Forest isn't one of them.

The guy was a charlatan, amidst a steady stream of charlatans involved with Rangers in various capacities around that time. I can't believe the level of redemption he seems to have somehow found amongst a sizeable proportion of our support. Talks a good game. That's about it.

A 5-1 battering at Parkhead, two pitiful defeats to them, again, in the cup-semi final and league in the months after, an embarrassing Scottish Cup Final defeat to Hibs and two utter humiliations at Tynecastle.

That’s the worst of the bunch but let’s not forget how turgid some of the football under Warburton was after the December of his first season.

Gave us our pride back for six months and then offered up boring, monotonous and mind numbing performances thereafter whilst also offering himself out to any English club that would listen.

That’s before we even get in to some of his questionable transfer activity in the summer of 2016.

He’s best forgotten.
Not for me, he played his part and it was him that brought our 55 winning captain to our club.

Did he shit it or did he realistically know we weren't winning it that season has the # suggested?
“Warburton has admitted his heart sank when he saw that message and insisted there was never any chance of them winning that season.

Speaking today, he said: "When we walked out to that 'Going for 55' in that first game against Hamilton, my heart sank.

"That wasn't the message. The fans were rocking, they lit the blue touch paper there - 'We're going to win the league'.

“Warburton has admitted his heart sank when he saw that message and insisted there was never any chance of them winning that season.

Speaking today, he said: "When we walked out to that 'Going for 55' in that first game against Hamilton, my heart sank.

"That wasn't the message. The fans were rocking, they lit the blue touch paper there - 'We're going to win the league'.
You need a certain mentality to play or manage a team like Rangers.

I mind reading that interview and feeling quite shocked. If that was his true feeling that day at Ibrox, basically saying his heart sank because Celtic were financially better off etc, then he should have left there and then. A manager with Gerrards mentality for example would have relished the underdog fight

So he was looking at it realistically and knew he didn't have the tools to give us what we wanted and what the slogans sold us.

So he was looking at it realistically and knew he didn't have the tools to give us what we wanted and what the slogans sold us.

He was right.

We brought in Barton and Kranjcar and the Bheggars brought in Rodgers, Dembele and Sinclair. It was plain naïveté on our part and folk take their anger out on Warburton.

Gerrard has done a fantastic job but it‘s also true that, by 2018, the board realised they couldn’t keep challenging Celtic on the cheap. That’s what Warburton meant.

He was right.

We brought in Barton and Kranjcar and the Bheggars brought in Rodgers, Dembele and Sinclair. It was plain naïveté on our part and folk take their anger out on Warburton.

Gerrard has done a fantastic job but it‘s also true that, by 2018, the board realised they couldn’t keep challenging Celtic on the cheap. That’s what Warburton meant.
Yep, exactly.

Best to drone on about mentality and shitting himself etc though . as it sounds better than the reality.

Last edited:
All the best to him. Likeable man. Don't think we know the full details of what went on and has never had a bad word to say about his time with us since he left.

Probably the only manager where winning an Old Firm ended up costing him his job.

Beating them in that semi final was a wake up call for them and big money was chucked at Rodgers.

Back