Warburton to be appointed QPR manager

Didnt he sign players for us through an agency linked to a family member of his and they pocketed cash through every deal ? It was a rumour I heard a while back. If so how much of that £10 million would have been filtered back into his hands hypothetical of course.

I think he signed players he knew/through people he trusted. Much like Pedro did.

We didn’t have any scouts until after Gerrard was appointed.

If you don’t want your manager using the same connections, give him some scouts. Pretty obvious.

I really don’t understand the “wish him well” brigade on here.

He had a good 1st 6 months at Rangers and that was it. Our form picked up for the cup semi win against the filth but apart from that we were rank rotten until his departure. That includes the humiliating cup final capitulation against the spoonburners. And Barton. And Senderos.

Talking of his departure, didn’t he and his fellow rat Weir threaten legal action against Rangers/King for revealing the details behind them leaving? Did they get anywhere? No. Therefore, we have to conclude that Dave King’s version of events is accurate in which case why would any Bear wish the bread man anything but ill fortune wherever he goes?

Warburton promised much but delivered zero. He was/is a first class shite-hawk.

Bailing out on Rangers who were still wallowing in the lower leagues of Scottish football, he thought he could transform Nottingham Forrest and ride his new team all the way straight into the EPL - a destination where he no doubt thought he belonged. Instead, under the hapless Warburton's leadership, Forrest continued their decline flirting dangerously close to the Championship's relegation zone, which not surprisingly lead to his dismissal.

I posted on this forum at the time Warburton slunk off, that he wold never again come close to managing a club as big as Rangers. My prediction, it seems, was right on the money.

I wonder if he’ll take Davie Weir with him.

Does anyone think he’s actually learned anything from his previous time as a manager?

He did give us a great memory when beating the filth on penalties. Then he fecked it up by losing to fecking Hibs.

I actually bear no ill will towards him, he was far from a disaster for us, especially compared with Pedro, did a job in his first season but was well out of his depth trying to mount a proper challenge against the beasts.

This. Throw in the Forest stuff and it was a shambolic end to his time with us.

Can’t take away the good bits though, especially that day at Hampden (in the semi-final, least said about the final the better) and some of the football early doors - after McCoist’s dull and boring shite - was a joy.

Like you, I hope he does well.

Bailing out on Rangers who were still wallowing in the lower leagues of Scottish football, he thought he could transform Nottingham Forrest and ride his new team all the way straight into the EPL - a destination where he no doubt thought he belonged. Instead, under the hapless Warburton's leadership, Forrest continued their decline flirting dangerously close to the Championship's relegation zone, which not surprisingly lead to his dismissal.

I posted on this forum at the time Warburton slunk off, that he wold never again come close to managing a club as big as Rangers. My prediction, it seems, was right on the money.

We weren’t in the ‘lower leagues of Scottish football’ when he left, we were third in the Premiership, and Forest weren’t ‘dangerously close to the relegation zone’ when he got the boot there either, they were slap bang in the middle of the table.

I’m not going to defend the guy - I don’t think he’s a particularly good football manager and he lacked so many of the qualities needed to manage a club as big as ours - but let’s not start rewriting history to make him look worse.

I hope the guy does well..He had us playing some good stuff at times with limited resources.Also gave me my best feeling for years beating the scum in the semi.Also met him at Murray Park and was absolutely brilliant .Really down to earth guy ..so wish him nothing but success.

It depends on which Warburton he wants to be..

If he wants to be the innovative Warburton who attacked football in the way he spoke - they and he could OK

If he turns into the parody of himself he became with us he, they will be a shambles.

Bit of bitterness on this thread gents.
Served his purpose got us back where we belong.
Like PLG tried his best alas the club was too big for them.
Wish him all the luck in the world as by fuk he will surely need it!

I want to enjoy that podcast but the ridiculous over the top laughing makes it hard to listen to

I listen to it but the thing that annoys me is the two presenters. They are up Crouch's arse a times.

And for football fans in their 30's they had never heard of a YTS. Other things pop up now and again that I can't believe they have never heard of.

I think he signed players he knew/through people he trusted. Much like Pedro did.

We didn’t have any scouts until after Gerrard was appointed.

If you don’t want your manager using the same connections, give him some scouts. Pretty obvious.

Not quite true.

Warburtons signings were actually ok for the championship, Until he brought in his pal Frank McPartland.

Warburton had some successes, Tav the obvious, I would argue Foderingham, but he also had some shockers, Michael Francis, Forrester, Kiernan

It was when McPartland came in some of the more dubious signings arrived

I think in the whole, Warburtons signings bar a couple were not good enough for where we needed to be, and giving him money would have resulted in perhaps worse than Caixhina.

The fact from the January (6 months in) he didn't want to be here and had made it clear he was looking for a return to England and the board were right not to give him big money, in fact the only thing they done wrong was not sacking him after the cup final.

Can’t help but think we would have been better off if we had just kept him (and given him the money) instead of throwing £10m at the Pedro experiment.

He'd been working his ticket for months.

His comments regarding our first game back in the SPL summed him up. He was shocked that Rangers fans expected/hoped to win the league. He went in fully accepting Rangers as being second/third best, a truly horrendous attitude.

We'd lost 6-1 against Motherwell in the play-offs and been battered 4-0 by Hibs at Easter Road. That was the team he took over. We walloped Hibs 6-2 in his first game with a team put together a few weeks earlier. Lot of cheap signings that did well for us - Tav, Wes, Holt, Waghorn, Halliday, Windass - either on the pitch or in sales or both. Some decent football after the horrors of the previous few years. A never-to-be repeated win over the Yahoos in the Scottish Cup.

But the whole thing had came to a natural end and his time was up. He wouldn't have taken us any further. He and Dave King didn't get on - King had a dig at him at the AGM in November 2016 - and the reality is the club was looking to get rid and he was looking to leave.

I also concur with the view that McParland was a disastrous appointment.

He'd been working his ticket for months.

His comments regarding our first game back in the SPL summed him up. He was shocked that Rangers fans expected/hoped to win the league. He went in fully accepting Rangers as being second/third best, a truly horrendous attitude.

We had a wage bill of £7m and had spent less than £2.5m on transfers.

It was a little overly optimistic for us to be going for 55 in all honesty, when Celtic had just hired Rodgers and were literally spending ten times what we were.

Mark Warburton was a Rangers manager and did a decent job. Delivered a win against celtic. People need to remember what he did for us even if ultimately he was not succesful.

Snipe comments are poor

Were we not in the Premiership when he bailed out ?

I was thinking about the warburton days on Sunday while at the game. I forgot how shit we were from defending crosses!! Every cross ball caused sheer panic in our defence! Horrible nightmare

Hardly an original prediction - he left Rangers because the club was too big.

Hopefully he takes them down. A liar who had the audacity to threaten legal action against our club. And just a right dodgy character in terms of how he does his deals too.

Good luck QPR, you might get humped, but at least you can say you got humped playing football the right way.

I reckon he will do well.

He will play pretty possession football and struggle to break teams down, while his defenders will look like they couldn't keep hens out a close.

I'm saying he will last a year...which isn't too bad actually in the modern game:))

Didnt he sign players for us through an agency linked to a family member of his and they pocketed cash through every deal ? It was a rumour I heard a while back. If so how much of that £10 million would have been filtered back into his hands hypothetical of course.

Nearly £4m on Joe Garner and and Celtic’s number one fan Michael O’Halloran. Clearly he was the man to be trusted with a transfer kitty, especially with the guidance of the BITB.

Can’t help but think we would have been better off if we had just kept him (and given him the money) instead of throwing £10m at the Pedro experiment.

We unquestionably would.

Pedro was only here 6 months but set us back 18.

If we could somehow have went from Warburton straight to Gerrard with Morelos magically ending up here along the way we'd be in better shape.

Nearly £4m on Joe Garner and and Celtic’s number one fan Michael O’Halloran. Clearly he was the man to be trusted with a transfer kitty, especially with the guidance of the BITB.

Garner was 1.8mil (of which we got 900k back for him I believe) and O'Halloran was 500k.

Nearly 4mil?

All of Warburton's 20/30 odd signings combined added up to about £3mil in total in fee's did they not?

Expect QPR to have 25 shots on target and 80% possession but to lose 1-0 in their first game.

nah they will win comfortably for the first 7-8 games and then teams will sus out the possession at all cost tactics and then after those games will play the flattest ineffective football about.

Back