We Can't Keep Going Into These Games With James Tavernier as Captain

im not comparing, I was replying to post 529 below from Tavereeeer which mentioned Mo Salah and i was just showing what Salah has won with them.

"I think this argument is nonsense personally. He hasnt won as much as he should have, no doubt. How much of that is his fault though? Is he a ‘serial loser’ for not winning in seville even though he got us there, got the golden boot and scored in the shootout in the final? Tav cant do everything. Guys like VVD and Salah have won 2 trophies (I think) in there 6 or whatever years at Liverpool. Are they serial losers?

Sometimes you have players that are good who are let down by players not as good, daft management or a better team on the day."
At some point we need to look at the common denominator in every failure from the Hibs final 2016 to yesterday! 6 managers and a few interim managers, over 100 players yet we can’t contemplate even giving it a go changing out Tav? How many more managers and tens of £m’s do we need to spend before we go “you know what, we could maybe try changing our right back”?

At some point we need to look at the common denominator in every failure from the Hibs final 2016 to yesterday! 6 managers and a few interim managers, over 100 players yet we can’t contemplate even giving it a go changing out Tav? How many more managers and tens of £m’s do we need to spend before we go “you know what, we could maybe try changing our right back”?
As much as I don’t think Tav has ever really been the biggest issue, we’ve been unable to win things consistently with him in the team.

Since we know the outcomes we’re getting with him in the team, we might as well find out what happens when he’s not.

Here's another view - if we've went through a bunch of managers, tens of footballing staff, hundreds of players, numerous board members, and tens of millions, and *nobody* within the club has ever suggested Tav is the issue then maybe, just maybe - Tav *isn't the issue.

No surprise that a number of those managers have been binned and Tavernier is part of the problem.

We saw it again yesterday. His defending the previous weekend was poor, he was poor in the last Old Firm at Ibrox. An absolute liability of a defender but it’s always someone else’s fault.

As much as I don’t think Tav has ever really been the biggest issue, we’ve been unable to win things consistently with him in the team.

Since we know the outcomes we’re getting with him in the team, we might as well find out what happens when he’s not.
That’s my thought, we need to throw the dice and see. Maybe I’m wrong and we are just as bad but if we’re not winning anyway then what do we have to lose? And just maybe his replacement gives confidence and belief to the whole back line and we start keeping clean sheets and not freezing in big games. And maybe taking penalties will lead to our number 9 (Dessers, Danilo or another) getting confidence that leads to more winning goals? And maybe not depending on our right back means the rest of the team lift their game and contribute in goals? I just don’t see what we have to lose at this stage!

Yep it’s 1 player, make it make sense.

It runs far deeper than Tav as captain, unfortunately.

I think some want to focus on one thing and if that was changed, then all would be great again.

Of far more detriment has been Wilson and our recruitment.

Yes, we could [* insert personality player as captain *] but that’s not solving the fortune going out on Lawrence, Cantwell, Matondo, Dowell, Davies, Roofe and others.

Or are we suggesting those players would improve under the guidance of a new captain?

There is a bubble of comfortability at Ibrox. Maybe Tav remaining as captain is another example…?

No surprise that a number of those managers have been binned and Tavernier is part of the problem.

We saw it again yesterday. His defending the previous weekend was poor, he was poor in the last Old Firm at Ibrox. An absolute liability of a defender but it’s always someone else’s fault.
Take Tav out of this team and the green ribbons would've been on the league trophy two months ago.

It runs far deeper than Tav as captain, unfortunately.

I think some want to focus on one thing and if that was changed, then all would be great again.

Of far more detriment has been Wilson and our recruitment.

Yes, we could [* insert personality player as captain *] but that’s not solving the fortune going out on Lawrence, Cantwell, Matondo, Dowell, Davies, Roofe and others.

Or are we suggesting those players would improve under the guidance of a new captain?

There is a bubble of comfortability at Ibrox. Maybe Tav remaining as captain is another example…?
I think the captaincy is a bit of a red herring, and is often used when anyone criticises Tav - “a captain is not important in modern day football” etc. Stripping Tav of captaincy won’t make a single difference to our playing or fortunes. Replacing a right back with one who can defend, can bring confidence to the back line and empowering the rest of the team to score goals however could hugely improve our fortunes.

For the people who constantly back Tav and still want him here, Yes he’s scored like 130 goals but ask yourself this

Why do a majority of our fans now want a future without a player with them stats?

Why has no club took a chance and came in for a player with them stats?

I posted earlier that we have already replaced: 2 managers, 2 directors of football, first choice goal keeper, first choice striker, star defender, star midfielder, star playmaker, half a dozen board members, CEO, chairman. The only remaining common denominator in the best part of a decade of underachieving is Tav so why not at least try changing him? If it doesn’t work out then what is the risk? We lose another title to the scum as we have continually done with him?
Because of the money all of the above has cost. Start with the problem areas first.

In the next window we need to replace Jack, Barasic, Roofe and Lundstrum. That’s before we talk about folk who we would like to replace and that is a long list as well.

There are many more under achievers than our top goal scorer.

Take Tav out of this team and the green ribbons would've been on the league trophy two months ago.
Would they? Would they have got the first goal within a minute that Tav was at fault for last month? Would we have bottled it with a few games to go when the pressure was on? Maybe they would have but I’d rather roll the dice and see - I’ll take the gamble of maybe losing the league 2 months ago as a league defeat is a league defeat at the end of the day. If we were narrowly winning the league I’d understand the hesitancy. But we aren’t. The scum have just won 8 out of 9 titles since he’s been at the club. 5 of them were treble winning seasons. I struggle to think of how we would have been any worse without him!

The harsh reality is we're back at a situation where the captain is needing his hand held on the right wing in order to defend against a direct opponent

The same thing was said when Candeias was here. Candeias left five years ago this summer.

And here we are going round and round in circles. The same arguments from five years ago about the same player. Unwilling to make the ruthless but correct call on an ageing right back who has been a brilliant signing but ultimately has been on the decline for 2 years now and who we are asking to do things he's no longer physically capable of doing.

Please move the guy on Rangers.

A good servant to us when he arrived in the championship and in the following years as we rebuilt the club but we badly need a born winner as captain to take us back to where we should be.

Because of the money all of the above has cost. Start with the problem areas first.

In the next window we need to replace Jack, Barasic, Roofe and Lundstrum. That’s before we talk about folk who we would like to replace and that is a long list as well.

There are many more under achievers than our top goal scorer.
Brilliant, we can all celebrate the Tav top goal scorer award again while the scum across the city celebrate another league title. I’ll sacrifice the cup final this month too as long as captain fantastic wins the club player of the year award too.

People still defending these players have lost it. Utterly lost it.
Just go and support whoever they end up at next.

There's very obviously something wrong when it comes to winning in Scotland - even Gerrard couldn't win a domestic cup - and ir's clear from Sterling's comments there's no belief in the dressing room. It's not coming from recent signings is it?
Outside the title season we haven't won a single crunch game in a title race and put in the same pathetic performances year after year.

That last Old Firm game at Ibrox should have been the last straw for everyone yet people were blaming the wind and claiming "we won the second half."

Last time I'm saying this but Dujon Sterling in the second half showed the kind on conviction few have in the last 6 - 7 years. Don't tell me we've seen anything remotely like that from your heroes outside one title winning season.

Same people defended Kent after he'd basically gave up on the idea of playing in Scotland and Morelos even though he'd clearly sacked his career not just playing for us.

Same with Lundstram.
The usual "people who know anything about football agree with me" pants about why we should extend the contract of a man who played when he fancied it and rarely fancied turning up against the tims.

That's why we desperately need players in the team that can score goals next season and not rely on a right back who can't defend his legs are gone and continues to cause problems by getting caught out of position in every game.

It would feel like a new beginning if he went and a sign of a new regime and fresh ideas.Till he goes it will always feel like same old ,same old.Please God let the Saudis take him in the summer.

Would they? Would they have got the first goal within a minute that Tav was at fault for last month? Would we have bottled it with a few games to go when the pressure was on? Maybe they would have but I’d rather roll the dice and see - I’ll take the gamble of maybe losing the league 2 months ago as a league defeat is a league defeat at the end of the day. If we were narrowly winning the league I’d understand the hesitancy. But we aren’t. The scum have just won 8 out of 9 titles since he’s been at the club. 5 of them were treble winning seasons. I struggle to think of how we would have been any worse without him!
You are ignoring his goals. You know, the thing that wins games.

If you want to count the goals he has cost, you need to consider the goals he has scored.

Has he cost us 130 goals?

I don’t think anyone is in doubt that he isn’t the greatest defender - however we have limited funds and have far far bigger problems that need addressing.

I think the captaincy is a bit of a red herring, and is often used when anyone criticises Tav - “a captain is not important in modern day football” etc. Stripping Tav of captaincy won’t make a single difference to our playing or fortunes. Replacing a right back with one who can defend, can bring confidence to the back line and empowering the rest of the team to score goals however could hugely improve our fortunes.

I'd argue that the two most important players across the city in their period of dominance have been their two captains in Brown and McGregor. Both unquestionably good leaders on the field who set the tone and tempo for them and are their managers voice on the pitch.

It's encouraging that the manager took that position with Goldson. It gives me confidence that he will do the same with Tavernier as well. Perhaps only injuries are keeping Tav in the team just now as his only viable replacement is being asked to play in two or three other positions at the moment.

Clement surely cannot look at his contribution to the Lundstram OG and think that's acceptable from any player nevermind an experienced right back and captain in a derby game.

It does beyond just yesterday anyway, he has cost us numerous goals in big games now and his legs are clearly going as well.
We need a winning mentality we have a team of championship also rans.

It can’t continually be the manager.

Tav, Goldson,Lundstram Barasic need to all be away the dressing room is infested with a looser mentality and needs totally purged.

Clement has realised with Goldson but if he gets beaten in his first game against them next season he’s done .

If you want to count the goals he has cost, you need to consider the goals he had scored.

I don’t think anyone is in doubt that he isn’t the greatest defender - however we have limited funds and have far far bigger problems that need addressing.
Brilliant, we can all celebrate the Tav top goal scorer award again while the scum across the city celebrate another league title. I’ll sacrifice the cup final this month too as long as captain fantastic wins the club player of the year award too.
Cool - good luck replacing a whole team with no money.

We have wasted millions, we need to spend more wisely.

The team plays around Tav as a playmaker ,in times gone by this worked ,now tavs crossing is generally poor and any tempo in the play is negated .
Lots of pointing fingers and waving , his legs have definitely gone , recently he doesn't even try to run back . He has always been a very poor defender and every team knows this. It's time he was dropped for sterling and if he needs to be playing it needs to be wide right up top.

People still defending these players have lost it. Utterly lost it.
Just go and support whoever they end up at next.

There's very obviously something wrong when it comes to winning in Scotland - even Gerrard couldn't win a domestic cup - and ir's clear from Sterling's comments there's no belief in the dressing room. It's not coming from recent signings is it?
Outside the title season we haven't won a single crunch game in a title race and put in the same pathetic performances year after year.

That last Old Firm game at Ibrox should have been the last straw for everyone yet people were blaming the wind and claiming "we won the second half."

Last time I'm saying this but Dujon Sterling in the second half showed the kind on conviction few have in the last 6 - 7 years. Don't tell me we've seen anything remotely like that from your heroes outside one title winning season.

Same people defended Kent after he'd basically gave up on the idea of playing in Scotland and Morelos even though he'd clearly sacked his career not just playing for us.

Same with Lundstram.
The usual "people who know anything about football agree with me" pants about why we should extend the contract of a man who played when he fancied it and rarely fancied turning up against the tims.
However in the real world, we can’t replace everyone. That’s not how it works.

We are paying for holding on to players for too long (Morelos/Kent) and this season with Lundstrum and Barasic.

Unless someone is going to pay silly money (Saudi) then we won’t get a great deal of money for Tav. The time to cash in on him has gone. Given the mess of the squad - we need to spend the money on other positions.

If you want to count the goals he has cost, you need to consider the goals he had scored.

Cool - good luck replacing a whole team with no money.

We have wasted millions, we need to spend more wisely.
We absolutely need to spend more wisely but why is one player irreplaceable? I’m absolutely sick of celebrating mediocrity. Yes he has scored so many goals but he has also been a maintstay in a team that has seen the hoard over the city win NINETEEN trophies (soon to be 20) to our 3. We’ve changed everything else in the team but not him? We have a replacement already there, he’s called Sterling. And his goals? Well maybe Dessers has a better penalty conversion than he does. And maybe a different set piece taker leads to more goals overall? Or do we keep changing everyone around him from top to bottom and just ignore his mistakes, lack of bottle, lack of belief and hope for the best when they take another 19 trophies?

He's a good player but average defender. We have all known this for some time, but he's still the least of our problems. If he was playing for the mentally challengeds he'd have 8 league title medals. That is hard to dispute.

There's far bigger issues to point to.

We are paying for holding on to players for too long (Morelos/Kent) and this season with Lundstrum and Barasic.

Unless someone is going to pay silly money (Saudi) then we won’t get a great deal of money for Tav. The time to cash in on him has gone. Given the mess of the squad - we need to spend the money on other positions.
We don’t need to spend money to replace him. Sterling is already there and that is his natural position. Spend the money on a replacement for Goldson, a replacement for Lundstram and a replacement for Kent/Cantwell and we’re instantly in a better position.

If Tavernier is starting next season you and I will be posting the same things,mate.

We don’t need to spend money to replace him. Sterling is already there and that is his natural position. Spend the money on a replacement for Goldson, a replacement for Lundstram and a replacement for Kent/Cantwell and we’re instantly in a better position.
Or play Sterling in midfield and we don’t need to replace Lundstrum.

1 less signing required, which given our limited budget is a win in my book.

If Tavernier is starting next season you and I will be posting the same things,mate.
I don’t agree. We will be posting that we used a limited budget to sign too many players and went for quantity over quality again. And fell short.

We can’t replace a whole team in one go.

I get that Tav has been a longtime. If we had replaced Morelos/Kent/Davis/ Aribo effectively then I would agree that this season would be time to replace Tav.

However our squad and use of money is poor.

If you want to count the goals he has cost, you need to consider the goals he has scored.

Folk are ignoring goals the thing we haven’t done enough all season is scoring but everyone wants rid of Tav.

If 1 or 2 others contributed what Tav did we would be in a much better place.

The amount of sitters we miss from a Tav assist is a joke as well.

But aye its all Tavs fault when i seen yesterday folk blaming Tav for Launstorm own goal i now know these people are fuckin bams.

if
Or play Sterling in midfield and we don’t need to replace Lundstrum.

1 less signing required, which given our limited budget is a win in my book.
If Sterling is starting in midfield in front of a defence of Tav, Goldson and Souttar then in a years time we will be looking forward to another rebuild under a new manager while the scum romp away in the league, telling ourselves “this time it will be different, the *insert new managers name here* is a proper manager and will have the beating of them next season”.

What was it Einstein said about insanity?

I don’t agree. We will be posting that we used a limited budget to sign too many players and went for quantity over quality again. And fell short.

I get that Tav has been a longtime. If we had replaced Morelos/Kent/Davis/ Aribo effectively then I would agree that this season would be time to replace Tav.

Does poor use of money include £35,000 a week for two defenders until their mid 30's and whose best days were three years ago ?

If there is any truth in the rumours that there is interest from Saudi for Tav and Goldson we should bite their hands off for a deal.

But he’s 33 and his performance levels defensively are dropping pretty rapidly year on year. Do we just keep persevering for another season (or two) because we also need a whole new spine of the team and need to prioritise that?

I’m not even sure of the answer to that myself tbh, it’s a mess and so much investment is needed from front to back. I don’t think Tav is THE main problem right now but I think he is A problem. And its a problem that’s only going to get worse, not better.

Folk are ignoring goals the thing we haven’t done enough all season is scoring but everyone wants rid of Tav.

If 1 or 2 others contributed what Tav did we would be in a much better place.

The amount of sitters we miss from a Tav assist is a joke as well.

But aye its all Tavs fault when i seen yesterday folk blaming Tav for Launstorm own goal i now know these people are fuckin bams.
Yesterday’s defeat was all on Lundstram. Both goals and a sending off, he put in the worst display I’ve ever seen by a Rangers player in an old firm game. He should have been marched out the door yesterday and I never want to see him in a Rangers jersey again. But that doesn’t change the overall fact that Tav should also be out the door this summer (along with about another dozen players).

I just have nothing left to say to anyone who thinks Tavernier shouldn't be moved on.

if

If Sterling is starting in midfield in front of a defence of Tav, Goldson and Souttar then in a years time we will be looking forward to another rebuild under a new manager while the scum romp away in the league, telling ourselves “this time it will be different, the *insert new managers name here* is a proper manager and will have the beating of them next season”.

Where did I say that I wanted Goldson and Souttar to stay.

That’s exactly my argument, our squad is crap and needs wholesale changes. However we have limited funds so replacing Tav doesn’t make sense IMO.

We can’t replace everyone.

if

Keep hiring diddy managers we’ll get the same results.
Clement is terrified of the tranny shagger.

• Haha
Reactions: WLF
Hasn't won us many trophies though. You'll find that most teams who win a lot of trophies around Europe don't rely on their right back scoring them goals. They set their team up with good players in creative positions who are expected to do that. That rests more with the recruitment team I suppose but it doesn't excuse the fact that Tav costs us in big games and clearly can't influence games against Celtic as a captain when he isn't scoring.

Callum McGregor is a midfielder who rarely scores against us or anyone anymore really, the same could be said of Brown before him, but his influence on yesterday's game can't be denied. Tav just doesn't have it. He is weak.

Where did I say that I wanted Goldson and Souttar to stay.

That’s exactly my argument, our squad is crap and needs wholesale changes. However we have limited funds so replacing Tav doesn’t make sense IMO.

We can’t replace everyone.

Butland would immediately be a better captain.

Yesterday’s defeat was all on Lundstram. Both goals and a sending off, he put in the worst display I’ve ever seen by a Rangers player in an old firm game. He should have been marched out the door yesterday and I never want to see him in a Rangers jersey again. But that doesn’t change the overall fact that Tav should also be out the door this summer (along with about another dozen players).
How do we pay for replacing a dozen players?

Surely keeping good players you have
But he’s 33 and his performance levels defensively are dropping pretty rapidly year on year. Do we just keep persevering for another season (or two) because we also need a whole new spine of the team and need to prioritise that?

I’m not even sure of the answer to that myself tbh, it’s a mess and so much investment is needed from front to back. I don’t think Tav is THE main problem right now but I think he is A problem. And it’s a problem that’s only going to get worse, not better.
I agree with you. However the whole new spine of a team costs money.

Given that Tav isn’t THE main problem, money would be better spent elsewhere.

He's a good player but average defender. We have all known this for some time, but he's still the least of our problems. If he was playing for the mentally challengeds he'd have 8 league title medals. That is hard to dispute.

There's far bigger issues to point to.

He’s a problem as he still plays a part in oppositions goals.

The pass inside to no one yesterday, failing to stop Maeda, getting caught under a ball last week against Kilmarnock, the goal inside a minute at Ibrox vs Maeda. Caught under a crossed ball at the back post when Motherwell make it 2-1. Caught out at LB when Ross County deliver a ball at 0-0 and thankfully Sima tucked in and followed his runner to put him off and sky it over the bar. Out of position for the Ross County 2nd goal. Wrong side of his man and beaten with ease for their 3rd.

The debate around Tav inevitably gets clouded by where people stood on him last season or four seasons ago. The past is done and Tav's legacy is a question for historians. We have to focus on next season. The truth is that Tav can't be our captain or our right back forever, he has been influential this season but we do need to plan for change before he goes off a cliff.

In my opinion we should have been prepared to start phasing Tav and Goldson out this season. At least giving them competition. We didn't really plan for that, though maybe Beale signing Sterling was a move in that direction. As it has happened Tav has been caught defensively many times at critical moments and Goldson's form then fitness broke down at the worst possible time.

Tav has been a great servant to us and the bridge from an awful period to something approaching normal, albeit not as successful as we want. But we have to deal in reality today: Our team isn't winning leagues and we are not beating Celtic. Tav and Goldson are going to be one year older, they're not returning to 2021 form. I've no appetite for another year of trying to tweak our way to a league title. It simply won't work, not with Celtic having money to spend on improving their unimpressive team.

Clement needs to attempt a genuine rebuild or he's wasting his time. It really is the spine of the team and the culture in the dressing room that needs a reset. You have to change the captain. We shouldn't automatically show Tav the doir, but Clement's rebuild must start with him evaluating what he does with Tav. I don't know Tav personally or know what kind of a presence he would be if stripped of the captaincy, so I won't pretend to know which of these options is more realistic. But I think Clement has to either tell him he isn't in his plans and that he should leave, or offer him the chance to stay and be an elder statesman, contributing what he still can in a different role but supporting a team that is built around a new generation and a new captain and vice captain.

Back