We Can't Keep Going Into These Games With James Tavernier as Captain

We play in Scotland pal where if you play for Rangers or Celtic you're guaranteed to win trophies. Liverpool have a lot more closely matched competitions.
Not sure how many times I need to repeat this but, I never compared Mo Salah to Tav, I was replying to the poster Taverneeeer & letting him now what Salah had actually won as ,the poster has stated that Salah had only won 2 things with Liverpool.

He compares on post 529

Couldn't give a f*ck about goals scored/stats whatever. It just doesn't work going into big matches with him as captain.

I'm sure people will be along with stats and the trophy count etc. But today was ridiciulous again, it's the same mistakes.

A lot of fans have a bizarre Stolkholm syndrome with him, just because he is productive attacking wise doesn't mean he's an average captain at times.
Your point is about captaincy, not skill or goals. To that point you are 100% bang on the money. This BS about captains all over the park is exactly that BS. We are desperate for a leader and battler, that guy who doesn't always need to play the best but drives the team. We have been void of a captain for many years now. If the guy had been fit, I'd have had Jack as captain long ago, but that ship sailed. The tragedy is I honestly can't think of anyone. I prefer a captain to be strong and bigger than life, mentally. I have never seen Tav as that leader. He has tremendous qualities in fitness and drive but always appears weak in comparison to the likes of McGregor, who is constantly driving them. That huddle pisses me off but you can see him in there getting them wound up for the game. Who would you have in his place?

Have said many times he needs stripped of it, the players wont respect him as captain, they will obviously never say that but they wont, in any job be it football or a factory, if someone’s trying to pull you up for something who makes more mistakes than you do it goes in one ear and out the other. Captains in any team need to be that player whos a constant 7 or 8 week in week out, a player who makes a lot of mistakes isn’t going to be listened to when talking.

I really like Tavernier, and overall he has been a good captain, but I think a mistake Gerrard made when he first arrived was not making Arfield captain, and argued for that early on. It's not really meant as a criticism of Tavernier, but I think Arfield would have been suited to it better, and a more natural leader possibly.

Couldn't give a f*ck about goals scored/stats whatever. It just doesn't work going into big matches with him as captain.

I'm sure people will be along with stats and the trophy count etc. But today was ridiciulous again, it's the same mistakes.

A lot of fans have a bizarre Stolkholm syndrome with him, just because he is productive attacking wise doesn't mean he's an average captain at times.
There was at least 8 players out there worse than him!

Your point is about captaincy, not skill or goals. To that point you are 100% bang on the money. This BS about captains all over the park is exactly that BS. We are desperate for a leader and battler, that guy who doesn't always need to play the best but drives the team. We have been void of a captain for many years now. If the guy had been fit, I'd have had Jack as captain long ago, but that ship sailed. The tragedy is I honestly can't think of anyone. I prefer a captain to be strong and bigger than life, mentally. I have never seen Tav as that leader. He has tremendous qualities in fitness and drive but always appears weak in comparison to the likes of McGregor, who is constantly driving them. That huddle pisses me off but you can see him in there getting them wound up for the game. Who would you have in his place?
I do think the captaincy is more a figurehead than any important point. If you are a good leader and influence as a player then you don’t need to be captain for that mentality to work its way through the team - Weir had that for us before he was made captain. The problem is Tav doesn’t have that mentality anyway. As much as I think we need to drop Tav as a player I don’t think changing the armband would make a blind bit of difference

There was at least 8 players out there worse than him!
Along with the “but look at his stats” and “who is going to score the goals he gives” this is the other point other fans use as the argument to keep him! Okay maybe 8 players were worse than him (I actually strongly disagree with that but anyway). So that’s 9 players we should get rid off! And to counter “we can’t change the entire team” then that’s fine, let’s just change HIM and see if that makes a difference.

I actually feel sorry for people who think having someone else lead us out is going to change things for the better.

It’s simplistic nonsense.

The squad needs improved. If that includes removing Tavernier, fair enough, but having someone else leading us wouldn’t have made any difference whatsoever over the past few years.

You can’t criticise Tavernier because he’s scores goals and gets assists how about we get a RB that can defend and then sign midfielders and attacking that can score and assist just a thought
We've been trying that for 9 years with no success.

Spot on

Along with the “but look at his stats” and “who is going to score the goals he gives” this is the other point other fans use as the argument to keep him! Okay maybe 8 players were worse than him (I actually strongly disagree with that but anyway). So that’s 9 players we should get rid off! And to counter “we can’t change the entire team” then that’s fine, let’s just change HIM and see if that makes a difference.
There weren’t 8 players worse anyway, he had a direct hand in both goals conceded and contributed to none in our favour. So the idea 8 of them were worse doesn’t exactly fly.

Last edited:
I actually feel sorry for people who think having someone else lead us out is going to change things for the better.

The squad needs improved. If that includes removing Tavernier, fair enough, but having someone else leading us wouldn’t have made any difference whatsoever over the past few years.
I disagree with that.

It might not have made a huge difference, but having someone out there whose visibly fighting for everything and standing up for his players would possibly rub off on others.

Tav looks beaten in the tunnel sometimes.

He has been bang average all season and I’ve never known an old firm captain to be targeted as much since Billy McNeil ended him on the playing field . He and Tav lost that bit of recovery pace and leadership

Lol.

There weren’t 8 players worse anyway, he had a direct hand in both goals conceded and contributed to none in our favour. So the idea 8 of them were worse doesn’t exactly fly.

He had a hand in both goals?
No. Never.

We see you.

Refers to a previous post @WLF

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WLF
He had a hand in both goals?
No. Never.

We see you.

Haha. I’m sure some will misinterpret that as me saying both goals are all his fault, they obviously weren’t. But he needlessly gives the ball away in a terrible position high up the pitch for the first goal allowing them to break, and gets rinsed by Maeda at the second, so he’s had a hand in both. Lundstram being equally culpable doesn’t really change that.

Anyway it’s 2 huge old firm games he’s been taken to the cleaners, 3 really bad goals lost where he’s been accountable, and god knows how many over the last couple of seasons in general if you include those cup games where he’s again been caught out by Maeda and let midget Jota score a free header at the back post.

John Lundstrum lost that game today - an og and a sending off

The manager got his team selection wrong.

We had no structure. All over the place and it’s mental how easily we switch off and fall out the game. A simple pass opens up the team and has us a 6’s and 7’s. There was no tactical discipline or shape about our team.

Tavernier, Lundstram, Diomande, Lawrence, Borna. Junk.

Tavernier has the ball, three Rangers players open and he just plays it into no man’s land. Celtic break up the park. Ball eventually ends up in our net.

How do we respond. We concede again. For the third time in a row we go 2-0 down to Celtic. Crap defending from Tavernier, Lundstram with a howler.

We equalise then one of our players lets us down, again.

A team full of shite that cannot stop making costly errors and mistakes. The first goal was coming a mile off. If it wasn’t for Butland, a missed penalty and woeful finishing from Celtic it would have been 5/6.

I really like Tavernier, and overall he has been a good captain, but I think a mistake Gerrard made when he first arrived was not making Arfield captain, and argued for that early on. It's not really meant as a criticism of Tavernier, but I think Arfield would have been suited to it better, and a more natural leader possibly.

I like tav the player tbh, just not tav the captain, playing wise he has his flaws but if he didn’t have his flaws he wouldnt be here.

I think what you mean is that McGregor is allowed to be a bigger personality on the pitch than Tav is , for example; Yesterday Mcgregor was treating Collum like an idiot, screaming abuse at him and making rash tackles and yet Collum did nothing. I just do not think Tav would be allowed to get away with the same antics that McGregor does.
"I just do not think Tav would be allowed to get away with the same antics that McGregor does."

Unfortunately we'll never know, because he doesn't even try to impose himself as a leader.

"I just do not think Tav would be allowed to get away with the same antics that McGregor does."

Unfortunately we'll never know, because he doesn't even try to impose himself as a leader.
He doesn't need to resort to acting like Stig of the Dump after years of buzzing gas.

He just needs to show that seeing yahoo players laughing at him and his team mates bothers him.

If you cannot beat Celtic in the league then you do not deserve to win a Championship.Tav has been brilliant for us goal wise but trophy wise and leading our team in old firm games has not been good enough.Personally i would make our keeper the captain as he is a seasoned pro with major experience and comes across as a leader when conducting his press Conferences.

Yup definitely dropping him from the team. Give the striker the penalties to get his confidence up and empower the rest of the team to score goals instead of relying on the RB.

Like I said, it might not work but I’d rather we bloody tried it than watch the scum get another 19 trophies to our 3 in the next decade.

Taking out a player with 26 goal contributions in the league (only one behind O'Reily who will go for 20m+)

Yep that's going to solve all our problems.

Even from a tactical viewpoint, he’s probably the reason that we’ve never really had true balance in the team as we’ve never found a right winger who is able to play with him.

That’s not a slight on Tav in anyway, he’s supplied the numbers, but long term I do wonder if it’s better for us to be a ‘normal’ team and not rely on your right back for goals, assists and 99% of corners, free kicks and throw ins.

And again - for the babies who cannot have a grown up discussion about Tav - that is not a slight on him.

Replace him in the summer.

The manager wanted to keep Lundstram. That’s a worry. If we had Lundstram around next season we’d be in trouble.

No other team competing for titles and trophies relies on one man as heavily as we do. It’s bloody ridiculous.

You're not making much sense. You want to remove a guy from the team who consistently puts out insane goal contribution numbers season after season. You even admit we rely on him too heavily.

How about getting some proper players around about him? He's playing with dross and has also played under mostly dross managers.

Again, if he played for the mentally challengeds we would be desperate for him to leave.

Even from a tactical viewpoint, he’s probably the reason that we’ve never really had true balance in the team as we’ve never found a right winger who is able to play with him.

That’s not a slight on Tav in anyway, he’s supplied the numbers, but long term I do wonder if it’s better for us to be a ‘normal’ team and not rely on your right back for goals, assists and 99% of corners, free kicks and throw ins.

And again - for the babies who cannot have a grown up discussion about Tav - that is not a slight on him.

Sterling in there to protect his attacking runs. Sadly Sterling can’t be everywhere - yet for the 2nd half on Sunday he was.

We play in Scotland, not the Premiership or La Liga.

Lets keep a clearly slower and older Tav on for another year because he isn't the main "problem" Just like we should have kept McGregor and Jack for another year, which turned out to be fucking great decisions. The entire squad needs gutting and that starts with a captain that has won 3 trophies while our rivals have won (soon to be) 19

Last edited:
I’ll wager Maeda is faster than most full backs he comes up against, including once’s he’s faced in Europe, but he doesn’t really look like a superstar there. If just being faster than the full back ensures you can rinse them then I’m surprised Gregg Wylde didn’t have a more impressive career at the highest level.

Greg Wylde has the same amount of SPFL winners medals as Tav

Edit - Typo

Taking out a player with 26 goal contributions in the league (only one behind O'Reily who will go for 20m+)

Yep that's going to solve all our problems.
So the alternative is we carry on doing what we’re doing and celebrate our captains goal scoring contribution end of season award while the scum celebrate their trophies? Dessers has 20 goals while not taking penalties and I doubt any players would argue against dropping him! Here’s a crazy suggestion - maybe we should critique Tavs ability to the position he actually plays, ie defender!

You're not making much sense. You want to remove a guy from the team who consistently puts out insane goal contribution numbers season after season. You even admit we rely on him too heavily.

How about getting some proper players around about him? He's playing with dross and has also played under mostly dross managers.

Again, if he played for the mentally challengeds we would be desperate for him to leave.
Seriously? They love us having him as they know exactly where to direct their attack.

So the alternative is we carry on doing what we’re doing and celebrate our captains goal scoring contribution end of season award while the scum celebrate their trophies? Dessers has 20 goals while not taking penalties and I doubt any players would argue against dropping him! Here’s a crazy suggestion - maybe we should critique Tavs ability to the position he actually plays, ie defender!

How about signing some proper players to help and compliment his game? Wasn't long ago he was part of a record breaking defensive record and an invincible title winning side. But he had guys like Bassey, Helander, Davis, Kamara, Kent, Aribo and Morelos along side him.

All of those players are a level above what we are relying on now. Our squad is full of dross.

How about signing some proper players to help and compliment his game? Wasn't long ago he was part of a record breaking defensive record and an invincible title winning side. But he had guys like Bassey, Helander, Davis, Kamara, Kent, Aribo and Morelos along side him.

All of those players are a level above what we are relying on now. Our squad is full of dross.
That was 4 years ago, having better players dug us out a bit from his defensive frailties whilst letting him use his incredible power and pace to make the difference at the other end. He’s four years older now, his pace and power are very much on the wane. He doesn’t have the same impact he did a few years ago. We can bring in other quality and he will be the weak link until ultimately he’s forced out. Or we thank him for his time, his incredible goal return and replace him before fans start to outright dislike him.

The very fact this thread started 16 months ago says a lot.

Tav certainly wasn't good yesterday but I'll say he definitely wasn't worst on Park, however I have said now for a number of years that we will never amount to much woth him in the team.
Yes I know his number going forward are amazing but his defending and passing are apaulling. Then there is the mindset. He has seen so many managers come and go and yet he is the one main constant throughout.
Latterly Goldson, Barasic and Lundstam have added to a failed team. There is far too many mental scars from these guys and they all need to go.
I remember sitting at Ibrox when Candeias was there and I said to the guys next to me that we would never be winners woth that right side.

Back