We miss Joe Aribo.

It was always going to be hard (impossible) to replace Aribo & Bassey with like-for-like replacements but I genuinely thought the money would be used to strengthen the overall starting 11.

We're still playing Steven Davis in CM, in the Champions League, at Anfield. I'm not even sure we have any sellable assets now, so the 'business model' has lasted one season.
Even though we probably weren't going to be lucky enough to find 2 gems to replace them, we should have replaced them with 2 physical players as we look small and weak without those two

I know there are a lot of things wrong with the team right now, although defensively last night we were much better, Goldson in particular.

When we brought in Tillman and seen the first glimpse of him at the start of the season, it was looking very positive that he could offer us similar to Aribo in terms of his ball control and skill.

However, one thing we are absolutely missing in this team is Aribo's ability to recycle the ball for us. It was one of his greatest assets that I think a lot of people overlooked. We don't have anyone doing this for us and we are so much worse off because of it. Aribo would constantly look to win the ball back, and that quite often created a lot of our forward play.
We aren’t going to sign players to automatically replace players like aribo who are deemed good enough for the EPL, these players are also going to sign for EPL teams. We need to develop them ti be as good as him in a couple of years. No doubt Ajax fans think bassey is a step down from what they had last season, he will need time to develop as well

We do indeed. We miss having a good manager and a decent director of football if it's really required as well.

Aribo all too often flattered to deceive, IMO.

He could be brilliant, but just as often he could be a complete passenger.

For a fee that should eventually see us recoup £10m for a guy in the final year of his contract I actually think we did pretty well.

Just a pity we didn’t reinvest it better.

Aribo all too often flattered to deceive, IMO.

He could be brilliant, but just as often he could be a complete passenger.

For a fee that should eventually see us recoup £10m for a guy in the final year of his contract I actually think we did pretty well.

Just a pity we didn’t reinvest it better.
Agree with this.

Lowry and Lawrence when fit should be fixtures in the first 11, they might well have been forging a fine partnership right now if not crocked.

Small point re Aribo. Hasn't been a regular starter for Southampton in the EPL. Not a criticism of him but it probably does show the difference between the EPL and SPL, which was seen big time last night

Starting 5 of 8 according to transfermarkt. Played a great game against Man Utd although they got beat.

I’m sorry but that’s just a nonsense. People really do have short memories or like to change history. The reality is Joe Aribo was really poor when he came back from AFCON. His performance against the scum when we got beat 2-1 is one of the most heartless performances I’ve ever seen from a Rangers player. I’d be questioning why we are starting a Champions League game at Anfield with 37 year old Steven Davis instead of being deluded about Aribo.
No, he certainly had a lapse in form post AFCON, but prior to that and later in the season he was excellent, he is a massive loss, as is big Calvin Bassey.

It's not helped that his replacement is injured. The Lawrence injury still infuriates me. He'd played the majority of the PSV game and we decided to ask him to finish the Ross County match up front in a game that was already won. He should have been subbed for Sakala.

Now he ends up with a worse injury while trying to rehab.

Exactly this.

Back