Weirdest team name in world football?

I lived in Berne for six years... In those days you could buy stickers that said "I (heart) Young Boys". You could also buy a foot-long sausage called "the Young Boy Sausage"... A colleague of mine proudly told me that when he was younger he used to play with Young Boys...

And of course they play in the Wankdorf Stadium

(It has recently re-adopted its original name after 15 years as the Stade de Suisse...)
If you want to contact them by snail mail, just write, 'Young Boys, Wankdorf.' as the address.
The letter will be at Porkheid by the next morning.

I have seen the following teams play, all in the top division of their country:

AFC Leopards (Kenya)
Ba (Fiji) A feeder team for Aberdeen, obviously...
Bangkok Bank of Commerce (Thailand)
Defence Force (Trinidad & Tobago)
FK Cement (Serbia)
Grasshoppers (Switzerland)
Pelé FC (Guyana)
Police ‘A’ (Cambodia)
Royal Bodyguard ‘A’ (Cambodia)
Royal Bodyguard ‘B’ (Cambodia)
Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (Cambodia)
Royal Thai Air Force (Thailand)
Saigon Port Authority (Vietnam)
Scarlet FC (Kenya)
Telephone Organisation of Thailand
Tennis Borussia (Germany)
That Ras (Jordan)
The Strongest (Bolivia)
Volcano United (Kenya)
Western Tigers (Guyana)
Wormatia Worms (Germany)
Young Boys (Switzerland)

But my favourite team names have to be Mysterious Dwarfs (Ghana) and (with no racism intended, since all the players were black) Dangerous Darkies (South Africa).

Also, there is a Rangers-connected team in Bolivia called Always Ready FC (Aye Ready…)

Last edited:
You’re nearly right.
However, the correct answer has to be Celtic Boys Club.
Surely it’s exceptionally weird to be called the same name as a senior club when you have absolute no connection to them.
You’re a separate entity.
It's also weird that the parent club Celtc Football club (not the boys club ) with the same name paid £50.000 to get the name changed a couple of years ago especially when they're a separate entity......

This was gonna be my suggestion.

I remember buying a Champ Man game as a youngster and on one of the screenshots on the box it showed them when they where called Flexys Cefn Druids. Who the %^*& are they, thought the young me.

Then they rebranded as Total Network Solutions to make things even stranger.
Not quite correct, TNS and Cefn Druids two different teams.........Cefn Druids were known for a while as NEWI Cefn Druids , (North East Wales Institute)

Some great names in South American football: CA Douglas Haig (Argentina) and CD Jorge Wilstermann (Bolivia) for a couple named after famous persons.

Also loads of teams named after British teams showing the influence British ex-pats/workers had on establishing the game over there: Liverpool de Montevideo, Arsenal di Sarandi (Argentina) etc

Not quite correct, TNS and Cefn Druids two different teams.........Cefn Druids were known for a while as NEWI Cefn Druids , (North East Wales Institute)

Right enough, been getting my weird Welsh names muddled! Weird names right enough

Semen Padang from Indonesia.

reliably told their style play is they like to spray and lob it about.
Can sometimes leak a bit if put under a bit of stress.
However they always finish with looking to shoot deep into the open hole...er, i mean goal.
Apparently their manager used to always dig them up for dribbling too much before shooting!

You’re nearly right.
However, the correct answer has to be Celtic Boys Club.
Surely it’s exceptionally weird to be called the same name as a senior club when you have absolute no connection to them.
You’re a separate entity.
Never take a day off ;)

Not the the weirdest - but I always found Total Networks Solutions a bloody weird name to keep appearing. Now they are called "The New Saints" and play in grey and white hoops. So, they aren't a club with a strange name. They are just c**ts.
Airbus UK were another.

I have seen the following teams play, all in the top division of their country:

AFC Leopards (Kenya)
Ba (Fiji)
Bangkok Bank of Commerce (Thailand)
Defence Force (Trinidad & Tobago)
FK Cement (Serbia)
Grasshoppers (Switzerland)
Pelé FC (Guyana)
Police ‘A’ (Cambodia)
Royal Bodyguard ‘A’ (Cambodia)
Royal Bodyguard ‘B’ (Cambodia)
Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (Cambodia)
Royal Thai Air Force (Thailand)
Saigon Port Authority (Vietnam)
Scarlet FC (Kenya)
Telephone Organisation of Thailand
Tennis Borussia (Germany)
That Ras (Jordan)
The Strongest (Bolivia)
Volcano United (Kenya)
Western Tigers (Guyana)
Wormatia Worms (Germany)
Young Boys (Switzerland)

But my favourite team names have to be Mysterious Dwarfs (Ghana) and (with no racism intended, since all the players were black) Dangerous Darkies (South Africa).

Also, there is a Rangers-connected team in Bolivia called Ever Ready FC (Aye Ready…)

Some crackers in there
Can you imagine chanting things like -
Grasshoppers
Worms
Or Young Boys ?

Checking out the Guyanese league - I notice they've also got-
Fruta Conquerors -
& Anne's Grove

I believe there's a Taiwanese club called
Flying Camel
But they've also got a Royal Blues F.C. -
So I won't be getting the hump with them (apologies)

Japan's got -
Honda F.C.
Sony F.C.
& Gamba

Auchenshuggle potato pickers...possibly not too strange to Glaswegians, but must seem weird to others.

Police Machine FC who play in Nigeria

They were involved in a match fixing scandal a few years ago when they were chasing promotion and had to boost their goal difference. Went out and scored 61 goals in the 2nd half hahaha

Another team went out and scored 72 goals in the 2nd half at the same time.

The Mali fitba club Police while isnt a right honker, I'm sure the supporter's arent looking forward to the transfer window with all the rumours of defunding the police tbh.

Latest posts

Back